2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Spectacle....PGA......sports in general...

physasst

I find it interesting how many people on here want to see a roll back on equipment and want to see players playing like they did 30 years ago.  That ship has sailed.  Much like in football when in the NFL you had outstanding defenses or the "Bad Boy's" in the NBA. Both sports want to create spectacle. Because, THAT is what the average American sports fan wants. They don't want to watch NASCAR to see a boring race, although the racing purists would because they will talk about all the maneuvering and planning that is taking place...the average fan doesn't care about that. The average fan wants to see the crash..as long as no one gets hurt. Which is why they tune in in the millions to watch MMA or boxing. NFL fans want to see high scoring games with 40 yard touchdown throws...it's exciting. Watching a defensive, low scoring battle, fought mostly on the lines is not. Same with the NBA...they want Lebron and others to score 50 points a game. They want the "Did you see that, oh my god!" moments. Golf is no different. 

American sports fans want to see POWER, they thrive on violence and wait for it....Spectacle. 

The PGA knows this...They aren't catering to the die hard golf fans that will watch every little nuance. They are catering to capture the average sports fan who golfs a few times a year and wants to see BAD overpower ANGR. I predict continued discussion about distance to satisfy the purists, but I also predict no real changes.

M

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

39 minutes ago, physasst said:

I find it interesting how many people on here want to see a roll back on equipment and want to see players playing like they did 30 years ago.  That ship has sailed.  Much like in football when in the NFL you had outstanding defenses or the "Bad Boy's" in the NBA. Both sports want to create spectacle. Because, THAT is what the average American sports fan wants. They don't want to watch NASCAR to see a boring race, although the racing purists would because they will talk about all the maneuvering and planning that is taking place...the average fan doesn't care about that. The average fan wants to see the crash..as long as no one gets hurt. Which is why they tune in in the millions to watch MMA or boxing. NFL fans want to see high scoring games with 40 yard touchdown throws...it's exciting. Watching a defensive, low scoring battle, fought mostly on the lines is not. Same with the NBA...they want Lebron and others to score 50 points a game. They want the "Did you see that, oh my god!" moments. Golf is no different. 

American sports fans want to see POWER, they thrive on violence and wait for it....Spectacle. 

The PGA knows this...They aren't catering to the die hard golf fans that will watch every little nuance. They are catering to capture the average sports fan who golfs a few times a year and wants to see BAD overpower ANGR. I predict continued discussion about distance to satisfy the purists, but I also predict no real changes.

M

You are correct.....the purist would like to see touring pros bunt it around golf courses. Television golf is long drives and -20 scores, that is what bring in the hefty television contracts. If I was to experiment with the format I'd put the best in the world on a 6300 yard track and count 'em up at the end and see who win. the lowest score still wins right?

• Like 3

If that is true, then I would think the USGA/Mike Davis wouldn't be talking about dialing back the ball/equipment. 

Though I do find bomb and gouge golf a bit boring. No real finesse, shot making, or course management involved. 

On a side note, I don't want to see violence, whether it's two guys going at it on the hockey rink, or a NASCAR car crash. I don't find that entertaining. 

• Like 2

Bad comparison

Most don't care about long driving distance on TV. The only reason we know is because of the commentators constant prattle. 

I'll tell you what, most don't want to see golf become a pitch and putt event. This will happen if distances aren't dialed back. 

Also Golf can't afford to continue to build courses that use more land and resources. The equipment needs to be dialed back. 

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Bad comparison

Most don't care about driving distance on TV. The only reason we know is because of the commentators constant prattle. 

I'll tell you what, most don't want to see golf become a pitch and putt event, which will happen if distances aren't dialed back. 

Also Golf can't afford to continue to build courses that use more land and resources. The equipment needs to be dialed back. 

They may not care about the actual distance, but if Bryson uses it to challenge the course record, people will be turning in to watch the spectacle.

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

9 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Bad comparison

Most don't care about long driving distance on TV. The only reason we know is because of the commentators constant prattle. 

I'll tell you what, most don't want to see golf become a pitch and putt event. This will happen if distances aren't dialed back. 

Exactly. Rolling back the ball has nothing to do with neutering the pros. It's land/water use/cost, maintenance and time to play.

I think the same folks who like watching the NBA where scores are in the hundreds with a basket every 2 seconds and every play being a stunning highlight are the ones who like seeing pros win at 25-under for 4 rounds. It's frankly desensitizing. Euros, with their white knuckle 1-0 soccer matches, don't need that.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Bad comparison

LOL! .....Golf has never been as popular as it is now. TV contact have never been higher and tour players play for $1M+ every week. Golf is in a good place unless the USGA/RA muck it up by screwing around with the equipment and start losing sponsors.....IMO

BTW according to reports equipment sales are up 42% from this time last year...

Edited by Titleist99
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

As much as I completely agree with you, I think Augusta is a poor example.  I think Augusta is going to expose Bryson and his slugger approach.  I predict that not only will he not set any records, but that he won't even be in contention.   Augusta takes incredible approach shot shape, trajectory and spin control, and that is the weak point in his game.     

1: Can drive it over the bunker

2: Past the corner

3: Drivable

5: Over the bunkers on the left

7: Weird to say this but almost drivable

8: Past bunkers, easily in 2

9: On the upslope

10: Down in the flat

11: Wedge in

13: Talked already, aiming for 14 fairway for the angle

14: No clue the line now

15: A par 4 now

17: Almost drivable

18: Past the bunkers like Tiger in 97 almost into 9

7 minutes ago, gators78 said:

Yep.  He'll drive it far.  I agree.  That doesn't automatically guarantee he'll score well.  

• Like 1

The average joe does like the long ball - or slam dunk, or 40 yard TD pass, or other analogous sport occurrences. This is true. 

The average joe, if given the chance, also tends to find heroin quite appealing. 

Both make a ton of money.

I'm just not sure either is any good for anybody.  

• Like 4

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

All sports are boring unless there is something to invest you in the competition. Without a reason to care whether one competitor or another wins, what's the point in watching instead of doing something else and checking the score later?

In a perfect world, I'd see pros playing courses I have played myself with equivalent equipment and seeing how they fare compared to my meagre attempts - that's interesting. Maybe in 20 or so years they'll have a pro simulator tour with variable lies and courses you can try yourself against recorded professional ghosts, but for now this is what we've got.

If you just want to see spectacle, watch a highlight reel. 

JMO, as crap as it is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Block said:

Yep.  He'll drive it far.  I agree.  That doesn't automatically guarantee he'll score well.  

Doubling down on 11 doesn't mean you'll automatically win at blackjack, but this is how you stack odds in your favor. He was middle of the pack in SG approach to the green, but the positive driving, putting, and around the green stats throw the odds way into his favor. He would have to have an abysmal ballstriking tournament, like outlier worst of the year performance, to not score well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, physasst said:

M

Distance thread of the week? Or are we up to two a week now?

And not even credible comparisons since the point is equipment changes which are the issue in golf.

Football - pretty much the same ball the last 25-30 years, field still 100 yards, no piece of equipment or combination thereof requires the field to be lengthened or adjusted, most equipment advances have been related to safety so no, lol, nobody wants leather helmets or a big fat ball as part of a rollback to create a spectacle.  

NASCAR - really?  Since when aren't there truckloads of standards for everything imaginable which include pretty specific regulation on things directly related to how fast cars can go? Bad comparison.

NBA - ball the same, court the same size, no piece of equipment is driving changes to the playing "field".

Baseball - regulates how far the ball goes and how far what you use to hit it will allow the ball to go.

Oh yes, but the real point is excitement?  Still apples to coconuts with contact sports, fast cars and overpaid, spoiled babies who are "prisoners" of the NBA draft, lol.  

When golf has an option for Justin Thomas dueling lions and tigers in a bloodthirsty arena let me know.  Otherwise, closest thing golf has
spectacle is long drive contests and though fun to watch and requiring talent, aren't paying any real bills for "golf".

If you don't understand the essence of the game, well, you get posts like the thread starter.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, gators78 said:

Doubling down on 11 doesn't mean you'll automatically win at blackjack, but this is how you stack odds in your favor. He was middle of the pack in SG approach to the green, but the positive driving, putting, and around the green stats throw the odds way into his favor. He would have to have an abysmal ballstriking tournament, like outlier worst of the year performance, to not score well.

I'll not only be entertained, but I'll be the first to pay him his due-and-proper's in this thread should he have a successful week.  I just don't think it's happening.  I can only imagine from the recent video I've seen of him swinging like he was hit with a cattle prod in his downswing that he is going to be bringing a very difficult proposition to Augusta. How to swing like that off the tee and then completely shift gears and hit very nuanced shots into greens that require you to be in very specific places.  In my opinion (and that is all this is) that is going to be very difficult for him to do.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe he has created more dis-information by talking about hitting so many drivers to prepare.  He's already done so with his whole exercise distance regimen taking the narrative away from how much he's improved his putting, short-game, and wedges.  Who knows, he's an interesting cat, and he may be a lot more clever then people give him credit for being.

I just have this sneaking suspicion that despite being very close to a lot of the greens off the tee, he is going to put himself in some difficult spots, and he's going to have a hard time coaxing the finer aspects of controlling his approaches out of the burgeoning next-level long drive swing he seems obsessed with. 

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Titleist99 said:

LOL! .....Golf has never been as popular as it is now. TV contact have never been higher and tour players play for $1M+ every week. Golf is in a good place unless the USGA/RA muck it up by screwing around with the equipment and start losing sponsors.....IMO

BTW according to reports equipment sales are up 42% from this time last year...

Driving distance has zero to do with TV ratings. ZERO! 

As for equipment sales being up, so is virtually every other outdoor product for 2020. 

Building and maintaining longer and longer courses will eventually put the sport in peril. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

And not even credible comparisons since the point is equipment changes which are the issue in golf.

Football - pretty much the same ball the last 25-30 years, field still 100 yards, no piece of equipment or combination thereof requires the field to be lengthened or adjusted, most equipment advances have been related to safety so no, lol, nobody wants leather helmets or a big fat ball as part of a rollback to create a spectacle.  

NASCAR - really?  Since when aren't there truckloads of standards for everything imaginable which include pretty specific regulation on things directly related to how fast cars can go? Bad comparison.

NBA - ball the same, court the same size, no piece of equipment is driving changes to the playing "field".

Baseball - regulates how far the ball goes and how far what you use to hit it will allow the ball to go.

Oh yes, but the real point is excitement?  Still apples to coconuts with contact sports, fast cars and overpaid, spoiled babies who are "prisoners" of the NBA draft, lol.  

When golf has an option for Justin Thomas dueling lions and tigers in a bloodthirsty arena let me know.  Otherwise, closest thing golf has
spectacle is long drive contests and though fun to watch and requiring talent, aren't paying any real bills for "golf".

If you don't understand the essence of the game, well, you get posts like the thread starter.

I would argue that you are forgetting about a lot of nuances in all of these sports - namely the rules. In all of the sports named, rules (or even the enforcement of rules) can be tweaked to favor a certain style of play or results. Look at the application of roughing the passer and pass interference in the NFL. Look at the tendency to not call fouls on stars in the NBA. Look at the fiddling with the ball, the strike zone, and the height of the mound in MLB.

Ultimately, any of these sports can tweak the rules to favor one style of play over another. Golf is no different. 

• Like 1

or
or

7 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Equipment changes...rule changes...same thing. All of those sports (except NASCAR) have changed their rules to make the sport more exciting. Enacting rules for golf equipment is having the same effect. Both are rules changes. Anything else is just splitting hairs. 

What Bryson or others do doesn't affect how I play the game or my enjoyment of it. However, it could affect the viewing of PGA events, which was the original point. YMMV.

M

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

19 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

They don't need to build longer courses, they WANT to build longer courses so pros won't win a tournament with -25 every weekend. There's a pretty big difference there. 

I agree with you that actual driving distance has little effect on TV ratings. You can't see how far the ball travelled on television.

I'm not convinced that guys shooting -25 or -30 would hurt ratings. It might even help them

But it makes old guys at the USGA angry

Jeff, I'd agree to a point that lengthening golf courses is a choice.  However playing a championship course with a drive, pitch and putt strategy isn't very exciting either.  If it was then the majority of us would be playing from the most forward tees so we can emulate the pro game. 

28 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Jeff, I'd agree to a point that lengthening golf courses is a choice.  However playing a championship course with a drive, pitch and putt strategy isn't very exciting either.  If it was then the majority of us would be playing from the most forward tees so we can emulate the pro game. 

I guess it really depends on how you view the PGA tour, whether it's more entertainment based, or you want it to resemble the golf you actually play. 

On a personal level, i'd rather my golf stay the same so i wouldn't want any equipment changes. If that means that PGA tour golf becomes a pitch and putt style, than i'll still watch. it will just be different. The NBA is a massively different sport than it was when i started watching in the 90's. Some will say the slower, post up game bullying was better, some may say the pace and space style now is boring as it's just jacking 3's. Everyone has an opinion i guess and that is totally fine

I just don't want my game to change. And at the end of the day my game (the amateur one) represents a lot more people i think

Edited by MtlJeff
  • Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

3 hours ago, Strategery said:

Exactly. Rolling back the ball has nothing to do with neutering the pros. It's land/water use/cost, maintenance and time to play.

I think the same folks who like watching the NBA where scores are in the hundreds with a basket every 2 seconds and every play being a stunning highlight are the ones who like seeing pros win at 25-under for 4 rounds. It's frankly desensitizing. Euros, with their white knuckle 1-0 soccer matches, don't need that.

"white knuckle 1-0 soccer matches"

Haha. One of a few reasons why soccer has never caught on in the U.S.

• Like 2

I think these discussions should really focus our attention on what purpose sports should, and do, actually serve. 

If it's merely entertainment, as many major sports leagues would have us believe, then it tends to result in a system that isn't much different than Hollywood. We like to believe that professional sports are the ultimate meritocracy, but it's the biggest lie in all of sports. Like the games themselves, our understanding of what makes a "great" athlete is shaped by how the games are structured by rules, assumptions, and a desire to appeal to audiences.    

In pretty much every American professional sport, and all things being equal, we privilege size, power, and strength over virtually every other aspect of athletic performance. We assume that in a competition of two players who are equally matched in skill, that the larger and stronger player will always prevail. Experience tells us otherwise, but we stick to these assumptions like grim death. 

Ultimately, we need to realize that athletes in all major professional sports are cast the same way they cast a leading character in a film or TV show. If they "don't look the part" an athlete's chances of success are greatly diminished. On the flip side, if they do "look the part" we will make many allowances and assume that the skills will develop. How many times the scouts and experts get it wrong - expecting a player to "grow into a position" and things of that nature.

So, like virtually every system we deal with as human beings, sports can be whatever we want to make of them. If we want a meritocracy, then we could make that. But, what we want is entertainment. So, that's what we get. 

Now, how does this apply to golf?

I would argue that the more sports become entertainment, the more exclusive they become. The more exclusive they become, the more we de-motivate average people from participating. We have already seen this in most of the major professional sports as youth participation has dropped rapidly over the past 50 years - and I'm not talking about little league teams and AAU basketball, I'm talking about pick-up games at the park and stick ball in the street - actual, daily, grassroots participation. The pro leagues might be doing great, but the sports as a whole are quietly dying. 

Golf, right now, is no different. 

Edited by jholz
  • Like 3

or
or

On 10/29/2020 at 11:53 AM, gators78 said:

1: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

2: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

3: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

5: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

7: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

8: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

9: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

10: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

11: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

13: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

14: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

15: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

17: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

18: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

• Like 1
PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

8 minutes ago, Konklifer said:

1: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

2: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

3: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

5: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

7: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

8: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

9: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

10: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

11: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

13: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

14: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

15: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

17: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

18: T140 in driving accuracy in 2020

Ha, man I am stupid, how could I forget such a thorough, useful, indicative to winning stat like fairways hit.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gators78 said:

Ha, man I am stupid, how could I forget such a thorough, useful, indicative to winning stat like fairways hit.

You made it seem so simple. I did the same.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

On 10/29/2020 at 10:19 AM, physasst said:

M

Yes.   I agree. Sports in general have been dumbed down to suit the casual frat boy “dude” fan.  It’s a shame. 

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

People do tune in to watch people hit the ball an extraordinary distance. Case in point, John Daly. Most of the time he was a missed cut, but when he was on the top page of the leaderboard, there was a reason to watch. Now it's a lot harder to make a name for yourself because there are a lot more athletes pounding the ball. Watching someone drive a 370 odd yard hole, take wild lashes at the ball is a lot more interesting than watching controlled driver swings and short irons into greens all day long. DeChambeau, at the very least, has challenged the complacency of the tour pro. If someone is out there trying to push the limit of what he can do, others will see that and try to out do it.

Augusta has been able to defend itself by adding trees, bunkers etc. It will be interesting to see where and what will change after this Master's. 

• Like 1