Loving the growth of golf right now, Loving the influx of people from all backgrounds but...

stecho67

13 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Some people don't want golf to "keep growing" if it means 5 hour rounds and loud music.

Some people don't want "young people entertainment" (whatever that means...) or be around goofballs calling them "bro."

Some people prefer to just play golf, enjoy the course, the fresh air, any good camaraderie that they may have with playing partners without having to bend to the will of young "others."

Oh, and get off my lawn.

To be clear, that’s not my quote lol that’s the person I was replying to

my opinion is about 180 degrees from that! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Soloman1 said:

Some people don't want golf to "keep growing" if it means 5 hour rounds and loud music.

Some people don't want "young people entertainment" (whatever that means...) or be around goofballs calling them "bro."

Some people prefer to just play golf, enjoy the course, the fresh air, any good camaraderie that they may have with playing partners without having to bend to the will of young "others."

Oh, and get off my lawn.

We get it.  Exclusivity is your thing. Prejudice, ageism, all that is your thing. 

a true golfwrx gem. Someone pin this thread please

Edited by extrastiff

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

On 11/28/2020 at 5:28 PM, Amps said:

Always play for cold hard cash and make sure everyone stumps up before the first tee. 

Great point.  I played with a guy a few times that played 'whip out'.  Basically he paid up after every hole because he was notorious for not paying after the round.  

5 hours ago, extrastiff said:

We get it.  Exclusivity is your thing. Prejudice, ageism, all that is your thing. 

a true golfwrx gem. Someone pin this thread please

I don’t think that’s what he, or I, are saying at all.

we’d just prefer it if the traditions of the game were respected 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

I don’t think that’s what he, or I, are saying at all.

we’d just prefer it if the traditions of the game were respected 

Yea cause “bro” is so disrespectful.

Its all good.  we understand each other I think. 

• Like 1

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

7 minutes ago, seis said:

Being older than Soloman1 I would not say disrespectful as much as socially uncomfortable and maybe also a bit patronizing. Would you call your Dad “bro” if you were golfing with him. I know if I would’ve referred to my dad like that when he was 65 he would have knocked me on my a**.

Maybe it's cultural or regional.  I'm in my late 50's and friends my age occasionally use terms like dude or bro--- it's a term of endearment.  I don't see that changing when we hit 70.

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, seis said:

Being older than Soloman1 I would not say disrespectful as much as socially uncomfortable and maybe also a bit patronizing. Would you call your Dad “bro” if you were golfing with him. I know if I would’ve referred to my dad like that when he was 65 he would have knocked me on my a**.

Socially uncomfortable lol. . Like being called “son” into your 30’s by a bunch of grumpy xenophobes? 

if ur dad beat u I’m sorry, but the rest of us don’t go around thinking we can beat the difference out of people

• Like 3

I agree with extrastiff.  I think we should all be mindful when out on the course but at the same time I like the game trending towards being more diverse.  People come from all walks of life and should be treated equally.  I'm 40 so I'm not considered young or old but right in between.  The only people I call bro are my friends and cousins who are close in age to me.  I find that here in SoCal anyways, that golf rounds rarely exceed 4.5 hours on the weekdays but 5 plus hour rounds are common on weekends.  I believe I read that the increase in female and young golfers has increased exponentially ever since the pandemic started.  Golf is a great way to blow off steam and meet new people IMO. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 3

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

58 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

I don't call anyone "son" and I am not grumpy or xenophobic. You're trying to apply your own assumptions to a circumstance you know nothing about. You must a hoot at parties and everyone around you must be walking on eggshells. In the context of how it was spoken, yes, I considered it disrespectful.

I was taking my stance for my second shot from the center of the fairway of a par five and your poor, misunderstood victim of my xenophobia rolled up 20 yards in front of me to his ball, hit from the adjacent fairway. Being oblivious to us, he gets ready to hit.

Being the terrible excuse of an unsympathetic human being that I am, I told him that for future reference, we are considered to have the right of way on our fairway and he should wait until we hit and moved out.

He laughed and said something like,"Hey bro, let me just hit my ball..."

I admit that I don't suffer fools easily. Also, if you're trying to make something racial from this, you're wrong. He was some skinny, dimwitted white guy.

You also might want to turn up your humor receptor and turn down your indignation transmitter.

Now get off my fairway.

(Now, that was what we call a joke. A play on words on the meme of old guys saying get off my lawn. It is not a social statement or an indication of xenophobia.)

Reminds me when a guy came over to play a ball from my fairway, I’d just played so I stepped to the side politely to give him space and he then told me I was in his eyeline lol. 

I was carrying so I just started off walking up the hole making sure my clubs rattled all the way as much as possible. Petty but satisfying. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

I don't call anyone "son" and I am not grumpy or xenophobic. You're trying to apply your own assumptions to a circumstance you know nothing about. You must a hoot at parties and everyone around you must be walking on eggshells. In the context of how it was spoken, yes, I considered it disrespectful.

I was taking my stance for my second shot from the center of the fairway of a par five and your poor, misunderstood victim of my xenophobia rolled up 20 yards in front of me to his ball, hit from the adjacent fairway. Being oblivious to us, he gets ready to hit.

Being the terrible excuse of an unsympathetic human being that I am, I told him that for future reference, we are considered to have the right of way on our fairway and he should wait until we hit and moved out.

He laughed and said something like,"Hey bro, let me just hit my ball..."

I admit that I don't suffer fools easily. Also, if you're trying to make something racial from this, you're wrong. He was some skinny, dimwitted white guy.

You also might want to turn up your humor receptor and turn down your indignation transmitter.

Now get off my fairway.

(Now, that was what we call a joke. A play on words on the meme of old guys saying get off my lawn. It is not a social statement or an indication of xenophobia.)

Try quoting me next time. Then I’ll know when u go on long rants directed at me. Must be an age thing 🙂 

Xenophobia does not imply racism inherently, but if u wanna imply race, go for it lol.

nice anecdote btw. So what u meant to say imply is “I don’t like jerks that don’t know how to play ,” not “I don’t like “bro.”” Cause you definitely did not give any relevant context to your useless earlier rant, in which you condemned the word, not the actions.  

yea I’m the unfun one at parties. Lol u singled out young people multiple times. You may not be xenophobic in your head, but to me you are obviously ageist, and prejudice against certain differences that make you seem pretty grumpy. 

Edited by extrastiff

37 minutes ago, Body_Visions said:

How can we expect people to respect our golf courses, pace of play, etc., which seems to be the most important to many in this thread, and not respect anything else about the game?

In my opinion, you can't expect much of anything from anyone anymore. The ability to ignore for the improved state of your own mental health has become a very useful skill-set.

I belong to a private club, a modest one, but nice enough that the members should respect and be proud of their course. They aren't respectful to it at all, and It gets worse every year. The majority don't fix pitch marks or tend to divots, and worse then that, they all drive their carts up off the paths to the tee-box and green's edge. Music has become a regular thing as well, and loud enough that you'll constantly hear multiple sources in an annoying mashup while you're trying to settle into a shot. I don't get it; I never will. But I'm trying. I'm trying to learn to be tolerant. They are all spending their money the same as I am, and that is a good thing for all of us. 

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, extrastiff said:

Try quoting me next time. Then I’ll know when u go on long rants directed at me. Must be an age thing 🙂 

Xenophobia does not imply different race, but if u wanna imply race, go for it lol.

nice anecdote btw. So what u meant to say imply is “I don’t like jerks that don’t know how to play ,” not “I don’t like “bro.”” Cause you definitely did not give any relevant context to your useless earlier rant, in which you condemned the word, not the actions.  

yea I’m the unfun one at parties. Lol u singled out young people multiple times. You may not be xenophobic in your head, but to me you are obviously ageist and prejudice against certain differences that make you seem pretty grumpy

LOL

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

L

Edited by extrastiff

L

Edited by extrastiff

4 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

I belong to a private club, a modest one, but nice enough that the members should respect and be proud of their course. They aren't respectful to it at all, and It gets worse every year. The majority don't fix pitch marks or tend to divots, and worse then that, they all drive their carts up off the paths to the tee-box and green's edge. Music has become a regular thing as well, and loud enough that you'll constantly hear multiple sources in an annoying mashup while you're trying to settle into a shot. I don't get it; I never will. But I'm trying. I'm trying to learn to be tolerant. They are all spending their money the same as I am, and that is a good thing for all of us. 

Sounds like some sort of golf hell. I'd be looking for a new club asap. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

In my opinion, you can't expect much of anything from anyone anymore. The ability to ignore for the improved state of your own mental health has become a very useful skill-set.

I have a slightly different experience at my club.  Most members seem to be proud of it, and take reasonable care.  Sure, it could be better.

Many here aren’t going to like it, but I believe dress code is the place to start.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Amps said:

Sounds like some sort of golf hell. I'd be looking for a new club asap. 

haha, if you think that sounds bad, you ought to step on the public courses around here on the weekends. It's like Caddy Shack 2 with more booze and worse acting (hard to imagine that is even possible)

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Body_Visions said:

I have a slightly different experience at my club.  Most members seem to be proud of it, and take reasonable care.  Sure, it could be better.

Many here aren’t going to like it, but I believe dress code is the place to start.  

I'm inclined to agree. I feel like things started to change when music and speakers became a thing. A sport and a hobby suddenly became an outdoor party. Golf all of the sudden got a lot cooler to the mildly interested.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

I'm inclined to agree. I feel like things started to change when music and speakers became a thing. A sport and a hobby suddenly became an outdoor party. Golf all of the sudden got a lot cooler to the mildly interested.  

And “fans” being able to act like they are at a basketball or football game while attending an event. 

A big part of what has always drawn me to golf is the fact that it is different; one is, or at least was, expected to treat the course, fellow players, or competitors, and most importantly, the game, with respect.  

Sure, I’m a little older now, but I was drawn to the game for those exact reasons when I took it up.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Body_Visions said:

Definitely. We must protect the collared shirt! In fact, we must return to bigger, fancier collars! That fabric is essential!

And to make sure our youth stays away from sunshirts with those daggone hoodies on them. If they can’t play in high-UV, dangerous conditions everyday without face,  bottom ear, and neck protection like the majority of us golfers (especially young ones, how often do they wear bucket hats?), they don’t deserve to experience our exclusive way of life! 

And to the children that would rather more breathable, healthier forms of sun protection than sunscreen or antiquated golf clothing... too bad!

13 minutes ago, Body_Visions said:

And “fans” being able to act like they are at a basketball or football game while attending an event. 

A big part of what has always drawn me to golf is the fact that it is different; one is, or at least was, expected to treat the course, fellow players, or competitors, and most importantly, the game, with respect.  

Sure, I’m a little older now, but I was drawn to the game for those exact reasons when I took it up.

I definitely agree that the “music golfers” should have their own tee times, or some other systems so that people trying to concentrate can do so.