2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Loving the growth of golf right now, Loving the influx of people from all backgrounds but...

stecho67

Good thread.

If pace of play, care for the course and general etiquette (respect while others are hitting) are the key concerns here, why not make those the priority in the club's 'rules'? Too often we see a manual on dress code; collared shirts, length of pants, type of sock etc.. New golfers ultimately see this and a) think it's a barrier to playing or b) feel they've now met the main criteria by wearing a collared shirt so can play how they want on the course.

Start with what's important: take care of the course, play at a good pace and respect others. De-emphasising the dress-code might make that shift in understanding easier.

• Like 4

I think the solution is let the money do the talking. If a course decides to allow or not allow or enforce certain rules money will do the talking. If people leave, the course doesn't make money. 

Am I being overly simplistic? Yes. But really this is a forum on what golf should be, and shouldn't the people playing golf make that decision via their wallets.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, extrastiff said:

Definitely. We must protect the collared shirt! In fact, we must return to bigger, fancier collars! That fabric is essential!

And to make sure our youth stays away from sunshirts with those daggone hoodies on them. If they can’t play in high-UV, dangerous conditions everyday without face,  bottom ear, and neck protection like the majority of us golfers (especially young ones, how often do they wear bucket hats?), they don’t deserve to experience our exclusive way of life! 

And to the children that would rather more breathable, healthier forms of sun protection than sunscreen or antiquated golf clothing... too bad!

:classic_laugh:

737d60817249484b5a377ef287bf6a22.jpg

• Haha 2

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

6 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

For posterity, the reader should be aware that "extrastiff" has edited out comments that he denied saying.

Again with the no quote, what a stud. What are u talking about? There is clear proof I was responding to seis with the “xenophobic” and “son” comment, and u took it upon yourself to respond. 

I deleted comments after that, which for the record was calling you a coward for not responding to my points and making stupid jokes. Which ur still doing. But I decided u would Ignore my points, so it was a worthless endeavor. And still called u a xenophobic person after the fact....

so not sure what I’m denying besides something there is clear proof u are wrong about based on time stamps.  

you are funny.

edit:I looked back, I didn’t even edit the “xenophobe” comment...ur gonna have to read us in on what in the world u are talking about plz

Edited by extrastiff

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

22 hours ago, extrastiff said:

Definitely. We must protect the collared shirt! In fact, we must return to bigger, fancier collars! That fabric is essential!

And to make sure our youth stays away from sunshirts with those daggone hoodies on them. If they can’t play in high-UV, dangerous conditions everyday without face,  bottom ear, and neck protection like the majority of us golfers (especially young ones, how often do they wear bucket hats?), they don’t deserve to experience our exclusive way of life! 

And to the children that would rather more breathable, healthier forms of sun protection than sunscreen or antiquated golf clothing... too bad!

I wore a hoodie for the first time a couple weeks ago on the course after the Tyrell Hatton hoodie incident when he won that tournament.  It was great.  I've never worn denim out on the course but am giving it some serious thought.  Of course I would do this at courses where there is no code.  This is coming from a country club boy who grew up with a bunch of far right conservative members at my father's private cc who would sneer and snicker at anyone who wore cargo shorts and untucked collared shirts.

• Like 4

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

22 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Pro Tip-- Denim sucks if you're trying to stay warm or it's the least bit damp.  If you want to wear something non-golf that's performs in cooler, damp weather then give these a try.  https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/12951063/mens-guide-pro-pants?sp=1&rrec=true  DWR, stretch, close fitting.  They are awesome.

Now if you're goal is to get under some peoples skin then that's an entirely different matter 🙂

True story--- another "never judge a book by its cover"--- One time on a public course I get randomly paired with a 20something for some fall golf.  He was wearing black jeans, black shoes, button down shirt, leather vest, wallet with the big silver chain, long hair and a straggly beard.  I thought, oh boy this is going to be interesting.  Well turns out he was a very nice and polite guy. He wasn't very good at golf but he moved right along.  He asked for advice a few times and it was clear he was trying to do the right things.  We had a nice round together.

I was like.. a denim hoodie?

Great points about judgement, I apologize to @Soloman1 and @Body_Visionsfor the snark and judgements. Unnecessary escalations. 

I think we can make some interesting and functional golf happen in this day and age with more collaboration between individuals working to accept each other’s needs and wants. 

Edited by extrastiff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

4 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Pro Tip-- Denim sucks if you're trying to stay warm or it's the least bit damp.  If you want to wear something non-golf that's performs in cooler, damp weather then give these a try.  https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/12951063/mens-guide-pro-pants?sp=1&rrec=true  DWR, stretch, close fitting.  They are awesome.

How is that non-golf? I have 5 pairs bought FOR golf. 😆

Marry them with some thin superthermal bottoms and they do well keeping you warm.

7 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I wore a hoodie for the first time a couple weeks ago on the course after the Tyrell Hatton hoodie incident when he won that tournament.  It was great.  I've never worn denim out on the course but am giving it some serious thought.  Of course I would do this at courses where there is no code.  This is coming from a country club boy who grew up with a bunch of far right conservative members at my father's private cc who would sneer and snicker at anyone who wore cargo shorts and untucked collared shirts.

im not with denim, but dressing loose feels good and looks good on the course. I'm not really drawn towards the best buy/target employee fashion trends. Chick fil a employees sprinkled all over the course.

Edited by TIM929

5 hours ago, extrastiff said:

I was like.. a denim hoodie?

Great points about judgement, I apologize to @Soloman1 and @Body_Visionsfor the snark and judgements. Unnecessary escalations. 

I think we can make some interesting and functional golf happen in this day and age with more collaboration between individuals working to accept each other’s needs and wants. 

No problem. 

I must have missed the good stuff.😳

• 4 weeks later...

While I realize having more people play is good for the game, there are some drawbacks. It is becoming harder to get tee times at our club. So many members are "working from home" and their kids are not in school. It's put a strain on our course. Also, since we've gone off Daylight Savings Time and the days are shorter, the golf window is pretty narrow.  I really hope that once we get COVID under control (if we do) people will go back to work and back to playing tennis so things will open up on the course. 

Edited by Hogan9

On 11/7/2020 at 2:36 PM, Soloman1 said:

Did Patrick Reed move the dead guys arm on his practice swing?

I'm not as smart as most of you, so my idea is very primitive.

All these 1,000's of rangers driving around waving at people (but never getting anyone to play faster) should get out of the damn cart and fix ball marks on greens while players are driving/walking to the greens after hitting their second/third shots.

This costs nothing, zero, nada and improves the course and experience of the customers.

But you'd think you were asking them for loan if you suggest this. The course management look at you like you're nuts and the rangers will want to attack you with a rake.

The rangers will not attack with rakes. That requires effort. And they’re ambassadors, not rangers.

On 11/18/2020 at 5:35 PM, erikalfstad said:

I am in SoCal too and couldn't agree more. I only know of a few courses with marshals and it is really starting to show.

Pace of play is horrible, course conditions are shot, and golf etiquette is nowhere to be found. 

My brother’s a marshal at a SoCal course. His highlight reel consists of harassing Reggie Bush about paying the walking rate but riding in his buddy’s cart.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 2:17 PM, Dr. Block said:

haha, if you think that sounds bad, you ought to step on the public courses around here on the weekends. It's like Caddy Shack 2 with more booze and worse acting (hard to imagine that is even possible)

I see you’re from Aurora. Ever run into Wayne and Garth on the course?

51 minutes ago, Jwin323 said:

^^Like the avatar. One of my all time favorite films.

Thank you. One of my favorites as well. Paul Newman had some amazing performances, but there was something about his grown up “fast Eddie” Felson: the perfect combination of cool, suave, and class. He deserved an Oscar for many of his performances; I’m glad he at least got the one for, “The Color of Money.” 

image.jpeg.ee08ac7ad0fef24e86dbe404a017539e.jpeg

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

Thank you. One of my favorites as well. Paul Newman had some amazing performances, but there was something about his grown up “fast Eddie” Felson: the perfect combination of cool, suave, and class. He deserved an Oscar for many of his performances; I’m glad he at least got the one for, “The Color of Money.” 

It’s a top 5 film for me.. and I really didn’t like The Hustler much lol.. Allegedly Newman preferred the original

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

Couldn’t agree more. Dr., you definitely strike me as someone I would enjoy 4 hours on the course with. And maybe another 4 in the 19th hole as well. Happy New Year.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2020 at 9:02 PM, pktaske said:

Slow play is annoying but has always been with us. Music playing from carts is now widespread and most bothersome. Ruins others aesthetic enjoyment of the game.

I don’t run into much of the issues people mention in this thread with the exception of slow play at our public park district courses. This is where you usually get the players with high handicaps who don’t play much and you have those types playing all day during the summer. They usually stand over the shot forever, hit it short and way offline and think they have to putt everything out.

Other than that, I don’t mind music playing in carts etc. I kinda like it actually. The pro’s even do this during their practice rounds nowadays. I don’t personally do it but I have friends who do.

7 hours ago, SamboRoll said:

Yeah, I agree you on many of the things in today’s recreational golf. I started to play in 1991 as a junior and where I’m from you had to achieve a ”Green Card”, sort of a golfer’s drivers license before even allowed to go and play on the course. The test itself was a no joke either with the rules part and culminating to playing few holes with a senior club member who delivered you this unwritten code of conduct and etiquette on how to behave on the course. The whole process thought you respect for the game and passed its great traditions in a way that seems from a different world compared to today’s way of doing things where profit, ease and instant access are pioritized. Golf is being dumbed down among many other things in today’s society.

For me the fundamental philosophy of golf is that it is supposed to be hard - not easy- and through that teach you on being humble and controlling your emotions, behaving yourself in front of others and giving respect towards the course and fellow players. Playing a round of golf with someone is a good way of seeing the sides of their character that get hidden in a normal everyday life. 

Yes, I support the idea of easy access, low price public courses and some driving ranges where you can just blast balls, listen to music, and have a couple of beers with your buddies. But this should’t become the norm, because golf is by design a game of mindfullness that releaves you from the noice and stimulus overload of today’s society. If we jeopardise these features just because people don’t have the patience and focus anymore to learn anything that doesn’t provide them instant reward, we will end up ruining and watering down a great sport.

ps. IMO golf carts should be only allowed to disabled players and blasting music from the carts on the course should be banned, period. Long distance walking is one of the greatest health benefits golf provides and it also helps people to calm down and notify their playing environment better during the round.

Mindfulness ? It’s hitting a ball in a hole .

golf can be whatever you want to be. Idk why people always want to say golf is this or that or tell people how they should behave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1