Loving the growth of golf right now, Loving the influx of people from all backgrounds but...

13 minutes ago, Body_Visions said:

And “fans” being able to act like they are at a basketball or football game while attending an event. 

A big part of what has always drawn me to golf is the fact that it is different; one is, or at least was, expected to treat the course, fellow players, or competitors, and most importantly, the game, with respect.  

Sure, I’m a little older now, but I was drawn to the game for those exact reasons when I took it up.

I definitely agree that the “music golfers” should have their own tee times, or some other systems so that people trying to concentrate can do so. 

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Preach on brother stecho, and welcome to the forum.    In my opinion, the problem isn't specific to golf. The world is changing. Most people live with a very inflated sense of self importanc

Unfortunately there are a lot of people with no class yet still have a couple of bucks in their pockets.  They come to a golf course and act like no one else matters because they paid their fee in the

Teach the most important etiquette lesson in golf, pace of play. I can live with all the other stuff to a certain extent but please play quickly. If you are putting for 10 pick-up, go to your ball and

Posted Images

Good thread.

If pace of play, care for the course and general etiquette (respect while others are hitting) are the key concerns here, why not make those the priority in the club's 'rules'? Too often we see a manual on dress code; collared shirts, length of pants, type of sock etc.. New golfers ultimately see this and a) think it's a barrier to playing or b) feel they've now met the main criteria by wearing a collared shirt so can play how they want on the course.

Start with what's important: take care of the course, play at a good pace and respect others. De-emphasising the dress-code might make that shift in understanding easier.

• Like 4

I think the solution is let the money do the talking. If a course decides to allow or not allow or enforce certain rules money will do the talking. If people leave, the course doesn't make money. 

Am I being overly simplistic? Yes. But really this is a forum on what golf should be, and shouldn't the people playing golf make that decision via their wallets.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, extrastiff said:

Definitely. We must protect the collared shirt! In fact, we must return to bigger, fancier collars! That fabric is essential!

And to make sure our youth stays away from sunshirts with those daggone hoodies on them. If they can’t play in high-UV, dangerous conditions everyday without face,  bottom ear, and neck protection like the majority of us golfers (especially young ones, how often do they wear bucket hats?), they don’t deserve to experience our exclusive way of life! 

And to the children that would rather more breathable, healthier forms of sun protection than sunscreen or antiquated golf clothing... too bad!

:classic_laugh:

737d60817249484b5a377ef287bf6a22.jpg

• Haha 2

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

6 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

For posterity, the reader should be aware that "extrastiff" has edited out comments that he denied saying.

Again with the no quote, what a stud. What are u talking about? There is clear proof I was responding to seis with the “xenophobic” and “son” comment, and u took it upon yourself to respond. 

I deleted comments after that, which for the record was calling you a coward for not responding to my points and making stupid jokes. Which ur still doing. But I decided u would Ignore my points, so it was a worthless endeavor. And still called u a xenophobic person after the fact....

so not sure what I’m denying besides something there is clear proof u are wrong about based on time stamps.  

you are funny.

edit:I looked back, I didn’t even edit the “xenophobe” comment...ur gonna have to read us in on what in the world u are talking about plz

Edited by extrastiff
22 hours ago, extrastiff said:

Definitely. We must protect the collared shirt! In fact, we must return to bigger, fancier collars! That fabric is essential!

And to make sure our youth stays away from sunshirts with those daggone hoodies on them. If they can’t play in high-UV, dangerous conditions everyday without face,  bottom ear, and neck protection like the majority of us golfers (especially young ones, how often do they wear bucket hats?), they don’t deserve to experience our exclusive way of life! 

And to the children that would rather more breathable, healthier forms of sun protection than sunscreen or antiquated golf clothing... too bad!

I wore a hoodie for the first time a couple weeks ago on the course after the Tyrell Hatton hoodie incident when he won that tournament.  It was great.  I've never worn denim out on the course but am giving it some serious thought.  Of course I would do this at courses where there is no code.  This is coming from a country club boy who grew up with a bunch of far right conservative members at my father's private cc who would sneer and snicker at anyone who wore cargo shorts and untucked collared shirts.

• Like 4

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4i w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

22 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Pro Tip-- Denim sucks if you're trying to stay warm or it's the least bit damp.  If you want to wear something non-golf that's performs in cooler, damp weather then give these a try.  https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/12951063/mens-guide-pro-pants?sp=1&rrec=true  DWR, stretch, close fitting.  They are awesome.

Now if you're goal is to get under some peoples skin then that's an entirely different matter 🙂

True story--- another "never judge a book by its cover"--- One time on a public course I get randomly paired with a 20something for some fall golf.  He was wearing black jeans, black shoes, button down shirt, leather vest, wallet with the big silver chain, long hair and a straggly beard.  I thought, oh boy this is going to be interesting.  Well turns out he was a very nice and polite guy. He wasn't very good at golf but he moved right along.  He asked for advice a few times and it was clear he was trying to do the right things.  We had a nice round together.

I was like.. a denim hoodie?

Great points about judgement, I apologize to @Soloman1 and @Body_Visionsfor the snark and judgements. Unnecessary escalations. 

I think we can make some interesting and functional golf happen in this day and age with more collaboration between individuals working to accept each other’s needs and wants. 

Edited by extrastiff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Pro Tip-- Denim sucks if you're trying to stay warm or it's the least bit damp.  If you want to wear something non-golf that's performs in cooler, damp weather then give these a try.  https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/12951063/mens-guide-pro-pants?sp=1&rrec=true  DWR, stretch, close fitting.  They are awesome.

How is that non-golf? I have 5 pairs bought FOR golf. 😆

Marry them with some thin superthermal bottoms and they do well keeping you warm.

7 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I wore a hoodie for the first time a couple weeks ago on the course after the Tyrell Hatton hoodie incident when he won that tournament.  It was great.  I've never worn denim out on the course but am giving it some serious thought.  Of course I would do this at courses where there is no code.  This is coming from a country club boy who grew up with a bunch of far right conservative members at my father's private cc who would sneer and snicker at anyone who wore cargo shorts and untucked collared shirts.

im not with denim, but dressing loose feels good and looks good on the course. I'm not really drawn towards the best buy/target employee fashion trends. Chick fil a employees sprinkled all over the course.

Edited by TIM929
5 hours ago, extrastiff said:

I was like.. a denim hoodie?

Great points about judgement, I apologize to @Soloman1 and @Body_Visionsfor the snark and judgements. Unnecessary escalations. 

I think we can make some interesting and functional golf happen in this day and age with more collaboration between individuals working to accept each other’s needs and wants. 

No problem. 

I must have missed the good stuff.😳

• 4 weeks later...

While I realize having more people play is good for the game, there are some drawbacks. It is becoming harder to get tee times at our club. So many members are "working from home" and their kids are not in school. It's put a strain on our course. Also, since we've gone off Daylight Savings Time and the days are shorter, the golf window is pretty narrow.  I really hope that once we get COVID under control (if we do) people will go back to work and back to playing tennis so things will open up on the course. 

Edited by Hogan9
On 11/7/2020 at 2:36 PM, Soloman1 said:

Did Patrick Reed move the dead guys arm on his practice swing?

I'm not as smart as most of you, so my idea is very primitive.

All these 1,000's of rangers driving around waving at people (but never getting anyone to play faster) should get out of the damn cart and fix ball marks on greens while players are driving/walking to the greens after hitting their second/third shots.

This costs nothing, zero, nada and improves the course and experience of the customers.

But you'd think you were asking them for loan if you suggest this. The course management look at you like you're nuts and the rangers will want to attack you with a rake.

The rangers will not attack with rakes. That requires effort. And they’re ambassadors, not rangers.

On 11/18/2020 at 5:35 PM, erikalfstad said:

I am in SoCal too and couldn't agree more. I only know of a few courses with marshals and it is really starting to show.

Pace of play is horrible, course conditions are shot, and golf etiquette is nowhere to be found. 

My brother’s a marshal at a SoCal course. His highlight reel consists of harassing Reggie Bush about paying the walking rate but riding in his buddy’s cart.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Jwin323 said:

^^Like the avatar. One of my all time favorite films.

Thank you. One of my favorites as well. Paul Newman had some amazing performances, but there was something about his grown up “fast Eddie” Felson: the perfect combination of cool, suave, and class. He deserved an Oscar for many of his performances; I’m glad he at least got the one for, “The Color of Money.” 

image.jpeg.ee08ac7ad0fef24e86dbe404a017539e.jpeg

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

Thank you. One of my favorites as well. Paul Newman had some amazing performances, but there was something about his grown up “fast Eddie” Felson: the perfect combination of cool, suave, and class. He deserved an Oscar for many of his performances; I’m glad he at least got the one for, “The Color of Money.” 

It’s a top 5 film for me.. and I really didn’t like The Hustler much lol.. Allegedly Newman preferred the original

• Like 1

current swing coached by wrxers..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wgXZab7vI4

16 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

Couldn’t agree more. Dr., you definitely strike me as someone I would enjoy 4 hours on the course with. And maybe another 4 in the 19th hole as well. Happy New Year.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SamboRoll said:

Yes, I support the idea of easy access, low price public courses...

This reeks of government intervention. Business people aren't interested in losing money. Making money with a golf course is a difficult endeavor at a decent course with somewhat affordable prices as it is.

On 10/29/2020 at 9:02 PM, pktaske said:

Slow play is annoying but has always been with us. Music playing from carts is now widespread and most bothersome. Ruins others aesthetic enjoyment of the game.

I don’t run into much of the issues people mention in this thread with the exception of slow play at our public park district courses. This is where you usually get the players with high handicaps who don’t play much and you have those types playing all day during the summer. They usually stand over the shot forever, hit it short and way offline and think they have to putt everything out.

Other than that, I don’t mind music playing in carts etc. I kinda like it actually. The pro’s even do this during their practice rounds nowadays. I don’t personally do it but I have friends who do.