Ventus Blue vs Black - Surprising Result

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fujikura, I see you hanging around here...would love to hear any thoughts you have!

Any other high swing speed, high spin players get better numbers from the Ventus blue than black?  This was the result of a fitting I had yesterday and it really surprised me. 

Keep in mind, the Ventus blue is not a 'blue' shaft. It's more like a 'white' profile shaft. The blue is somewhat of a misnomer given shaft trends, and how the ventus blue performs.   So if

Posted Images

Keep in mind, the Ventus blue is not a 'blue' shaft. It's more like a 'white' profile shaft. The blue is somewhat of a misnomer given shaft trends, and how the ventus blue performs.

So if you have every hit the tensei white...but didnt like the tensei blue. This is more of the correlation.

• Like 1

Mavrik + ATMOS TS Black / Mavrik 4W + ATMOS TS Blue / Mavrik Pro 3H + ATMOS TS Blue / XForged UT + ATMOS TS Black / Apex 19-Pro + C-Taper / MD5 / Odyssey SL Black 7 + SuperStroke Cord 2.0

I’m coming from a Tensei Orange and just trying to pick up a little more control.  I am a little concerned that the ball speed could be a touch lower than the Orange, but it did appear more consistent.  I think the Ventus felt way better than the Tensei White to me, but actually your comparison does make sense.  

Hey guys - quick chime in from us - This topic is a perfect example why we always say to get custom fit. Our red/blue/black system is a starting point for fitters and may not apply to every golfer as we all know every golfer has a unique swing and the way the load the club can vary tremendously. Speaking of black specifically, the stiffer handle section sometimes can prevent a golfer from loading the shaft effectively and make it more effort to swing which could add dynamic loft and slightly more spin. Could, not always. Please note: we're saying this was the case for you as we have no way of knowing, so please take that with a grain of salt!

So overall it's a bit unique but not too, too surprising. We're just elated that (1) you got fit, (2) into a VENTUS! We hope you like it out on the course, we're confident you will as your strike patterns should improve along with your dispersion. Where did you get fit? How was the experience?

http://fujikuragolf.com http://fujikuragolf.com/dealer-locator

Got fit at a club champion, and the experience was very good.  The dynamic loft was what was getting me.  Ventus black wasn't far off though, just spun too much.  Hell I may just order both and try them on the course.  

Fuji - what are your thoughts on tipping?  My gut reaction would be that I would tip the Blue an inch but not sure about the Black.  Maybe tipping it an inch would do the trick?  I also just struggle with this stuff because nothing matters until you actually get the club on the course.  

2 minutes ago, CallawayLefty said:

Got fit at a club champion, and the experience was very good.  The dynamic loft was what was getting me.  Ventus black wasn't far off though, just spun too much.  Hell I may just order both and try them on the course.  

Fuji - what are your thoughts on tipping?  My gut reaction would be that I would tip the Blue an inch but not sure about the Black.  Maybe tipping it an inch would do the trick?  I also just struggle with this stuff because nothing matters until you actually get the club on the course.  

Haha, theres a discussion on ventus tipping in several other threads here in the last few days.

bottom line is that fuji does not recommend tipping ANY shaft in driver unless you have an extremely high swing speed and/or are on tour (which means condition 1 has been met).

Mavrik + ATMOS TS Black / Mavrik 4W + ATMOS TS Blue / Mavrik Pro 3H + ATMOS TS Blue / XForged UT + ATMOS TS Black / Apex 19-Pro + C-Taper / MD5 / Odyssey SL Black 7 + SuperStroke Cord 2.0

2 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Haha, theres a discussion on ventus tipping in several other threads here in the last few days.

bottom line is that fuji does not recommend tipping ANY shaft in driver unless you have an extremely high swing speed and/or are on tour (which means condition 1 has been met).

Ok, I'll look for those.  I'm in the high 110s consistently, push up to 121-22 occasionally.  This is why I was just concerned that there was no way that the Blue would work for me.    

What number(s) from your fitting are you trying to improve with tipping?

JBeam Bullet 10*                      Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 3WD               Accra Tour Z RPG 372 M5

Exotics CBX119 5WD               Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 7WD                     Accra TZ5-85 M5
MIURA CB57 5-PW                  MCI MMT-125TX (SSx1)
MIURA Tour Milled 52 56 60   MCI MMT-125TX 

Bettinardi DASS MiNOVAi Tour Prototype 

12 minutes ago, nitram said:

What number(s) from your fitting are you trying to improve with tipping?

Lower spin would be nice.  I have trouble keeping spin down so anything that consistently manages it is better for me.  I play a Tensei Orange tipped 1 inch now.  It’s great but I’d like to chase a little more accuracy/consistency.  I’m still too prone to wild swings. 

Since the Blue worked best for you in the fitting I think I'd first hit the Blue you receive un-tipped and see where you are. And if necessary I'd try 1/2-inch and so on until I get to where I want to be. If you have the time, resources, and patience, once I got to 1/2-inch and thought I needed more, I'd try 1/4-inch at a time until I was satisfied I was getting all I could out of it. 

• Like 1

JBeam Bullet 10*                      Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 3WD               Accra Tour Z RPG 372 M5

Exotics CBX119 5WD               Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 7WD                     Accra TZ5-85 M5
MIURA CB57 5-PW                  MCI MMT-125TX (SSx1)
MIURA Tour Milled 52 56 60   MCI MMT-125TX 

Bettinardi DASS MiNOVAi Tour Prototype 

I have a blue 7x coming to put in my new tsi3 when it comes in. I got it tipped 1 inch and built up by Will. I have similar numbers to you and I was looking to trim some spin than the last time I had the blue 7x. I found blue fit my swing so much better than the black even though I would’ve figured black would’ve been better. 

TS3 8.5 Ventus Blue 7x or ZF 60TX

Ping G410 17 degree Ventus Blue 9x

Callaway UT 21 bent to 19 KBS Proto 105X

T100S 1 degree weak 4-PW Project X 7.0

SM8 50 Project X 6.5 
SM7 54 Project X 6.5 

Taylormade Hi-Toe 60 Project X 6.5

Piretti Cottonwood II or Scotty Newport 2 w/ Stability Shaft

Srixon XV 

11 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Keep in mind, the Ventus blue is not a 'blue' shaft. It's more like a 'white' profile shaft. The blue is somewhat of a misnomer given shaft trends, and how the ventus blue performs.

So if you have every hit the tensei white...but didnt like the tensei blue. This is more of the correlation.

I don't think that is really accurate in this case. Someone said that the Ventus Blue was supposed to be a "White" profile before it launched and that kinda stuck around here, but it is definitely a classic "Blue" profile if we go by EI charts:

Here is the Ventus Blue (Dark Blue) with the AD-DI and the Diamana BF, all classic mid soft designs with stiff tips and handles:

227220002_ScreenShot2020-10-30at7_15_49PM.png.e9998623fa68ae79ab49a42a3eab1534.png

And here is the Ventus Blue with the Pro White and the Kuro Kage XT:

829499864_ScreenShot2020-10-30at7_16_33PM.png.9f6bff21311692ef9559a100801276d0.png

You can see that the two "White" profiles are significantly stiffer in the midsection which would be expected in a White vs Blue profile comparison. 

That said, the Ventus Blue has a LOT of tip reinforcement, which for some high speed players can bring down deflection and subsequently spin. The Ventus Blue and Black are such different profiles as well that even a slight change in strike location based on feeling a little more comfortable with one over the other would override any differences in shaft design. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Thanks 1

Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
Titleist 915FD 14.25* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade SIM Ti 16* Kuro Kage 80XTS 
Titleist 915FD 17.25* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

7 minutes ago, CallawayLefty said:

See, the above is what spooks me.  The DI is like the worst possible shaft for me. 

In terms of numbers, feel, or course performance? The Ventus Blue will likely play stiffer and more stable given the difference in tip construction, but the caveat about launch monitor testing vs. the course always applies regardless. 

Edited by Valtiel

Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
Titleist 915FD 17.25* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid

I guess I just worry about an indoor fitting putting me into a profile very different than I was expecting.  Also the numbers with it weren’t off the charts by any means...I was just intrigued by how it felt and performed.  I’d love to have it, a black, and 1 or 2 others to take on the course.  And I guess maybe I’ll just do that.  

21 minutes ago, CallawayLefty said:

I guess I just worry about an indoor fitting putting me into a profile very different than I was expecting.  Also the numbers with it weren’t off the charts by any means...I was just intrigued by how it felt and performed.  I’d love to have it, a black, and 1 or 2 others to take on the course.  And I guess maybe I’ll just do that.  

I wouldn't worry so much about profile and trust whatever on course testing you are able to do. It is too easy for a good player to get into a groove when just whacking balls on a launch monitor which is an environment that literally only exists there and often does not translate to the course.

If you have had bad experiences with mid soft "Blue" profile shafts in the past then I would certainly make sure to get the Ventus Blue on the course to test before committing to it. 

• Like 1