Jump to content

BST help: Bought a shaft tipped 1.5 inches, tipping not stated in listing


Recommended Posts

Was told by admin this is where I should post for bst problems. First time having an issue in 11-12 years . 
Did a bst transaction this week for a Ventus 6x and turns out the shaft was tipped 1.5 inches.  Contacted seller and he claimed to not know it was tipped and said he would take it back. A few messages later he said he asked some wrx buddies and decided he did not have to take it back since hehad a pic of the tip with a ruler but did not state it was tipped. I assumed it was untipped since usually it’s stated.  I only knew it was tipped bc I have a Ventus black untipped to compare it to, otherwise I would not have known . I have not hit the shaft at all. To save the seller money I even offered to sell It on BST for the seller as long as he covered the difference in price but have gotten zero traction since the shaft is tipped 1.5 inches (it’s up now) I contacted the seller again thinking he would take it back he left the conversation, had to message him again and he said he’d contact admins to see what to do ..and he left convo again. All I want it a refund since the shaft is basically playing XX now vs X. Did I assume to much or shouldn’t this

tipping have been disclosed ? I have not been offered a partial refund since he changed his mind FYI 

Edited by schwollo
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • schwollo changed the title to BST help: Bought a shaft tipped 1.5 inches, tipping not stated in listing
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Golf Gods say accept the return!

But why would the seller not take it back assuming he is made whole?  My guess is because the seller now knows the shaft won’t sell at the same price with full disclosure of the tipping (and I realize

But why should original seller be out any $ for your lack of due diligence?  The original listing contains all the info you needed, and the shaft was received in the as described condition. 

Posted Images

Link to the listing?

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex

Maltby KE4 Tour 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just looked at your listing and you could have worded your DND post better. Tipped 1.5" sounds much more gregarious than tipped "approx" .5". I put "approx" because thats what you use in your ad. The guy could have stated he did not know if it was tipped but if it's a TM installed tip I can see why he wouldn't(again it would help to see his ad). If the amount of tipping was of concern to you you should have asked.

 

Edit. Regardless of that I would refund you and take the shaft back.

Edited by Bad9
  • Like 1

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex

Maltby KE4 Tour 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Link to post
Share on other sites

Schwollo, I'd honestly recommend hitting it a handful of times before you jump through circles searching for a solution.  While tipping 1.5" may seem like a lot, taylormade does 1" tipping as standard from what I've read.  I've also read that while it does impact the stiffness, it's not nearly as much impact as people think.

 

Not sure what to recommend regarding the returning route but it's a popular shaft that should sell no problem if you need to go that route yourself.

 

Best of luck with your situation. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, schwollo said:

What would you do as seller @Puttersaurus Rex? Did I assume too much that on wrx everyone lists tipping info? 

Seeing the actual listing will help.  Hopefully pictures were not deleted.

 

Yes, always buyer beware on BST.  I have about 5 transactions, but have read a lot of the horror stories on DND.  If you want a shaft that is untipped, always ask or hopefully it is already listed.  Hopefully you can recoup most of your money back with a sale or return.

  • Like 1

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think its best practice as a Seller to provide knowledge or no knowledge of tipping.  I also think its best practice of the Buyer to inquire about tipping if not provided.  When buying used shafts, tipping is always the first thing I ask about if not noted within the BST post.  If Seller is not sure regarding tipping, I usually pass.  

 

If Seller stated specific tipping and that was wrong, Seller should take the shaft back.  

 

If Buyer assumed without asking and Seller did not specify tipping, Buyer should keep the shaft.  

 

Just my two cents... 

 

- KC

  • Like 1

Driver:  Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 (9.5 degrees) - Project X Smoke Yellow 6.5-X 60g

Fairway:  2016 TaylorMade M2 (15 degrees) - Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 757 X

Hybrid:  Tour Edge Exotics CBX 119 (17 degrees) - Project X EvenFlow Blue 6.5-X 85g

Irons:  Titleist 620 (CB: 4-7, MB: 8-9) - KBS Tour S+ 125g

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM8 (46.10F) - KBS Tour S+ 125g, Titleist Vokey SM7 (50.08F, 54.10S, 58.04L) - KBS Tour S 120g

Putter:  Artisan 0217 (4*/71*/35")

Ball: Titleist Pro V1 (Yellow)

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Rory4Pres said:

Schwollo, I'd honestly recommend hitting it a handful of times before you jump through circles searching for a solution.  While tipping 1.5" may seem like a lot, taylormade does 1" tipping as standard from what I've read.  I've also read that while it does impact the stiffness, it's not nearly as much impact as people think.

 

Not sure what to recommend regarding the returning route but it's a popular shaft that should sell no problem if you need to go that route yourself.

 

Best of luck with your situation. 

tipping, especially on a ventus absolutely changes a shaft. fuji recommends NO tipping. 1.5" on am x-flex is insane

  • Like 1

Mavrik + ATMOS TS Black / Mavrik 4W + ATMOS TS Blue / Mavrik Pro 3H + ATMOS TS Blue / XForged UT + ATMOS TS Black / Apex 19-Pro + C-Taper / MD5 / Odyssey SL Black 7 + SuperStroke Cord 2.0

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, schwollo said:

What would you do as seller @Puttersaurus Rex? Did I assume too much that on wrx everyone lists tipping info? 

Most would not know if there is tipping specially if comin off the rack. I’ve on several occasion not state anything about tipping because either the person before me or myself would not know. 

TaylorMade RBZ Tour 9* Motore 60 S/ SLDR Preferred 430 10* 661 Stiff Flex
TaylorMade SLDR 17* Motore 77 Tour Spec X

TaylorMade SLDR 20* Motore 8.3 Tour Spec X

Bridgestone J15 Mb 4-PW Recoil 110 F4

Bridgestone J40 52/58 

Cleveland Hunington Beach #11 Raw
Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, KC13 said:

I think its best practice as a Seller to provide knowledge or no knowledge of tipping.  I also think its best practice of the Buyer to inquire about tipping if not provided.  When buying used shafts, tipping is always the first thing I ask about if not noted within the BST post.  If Seller is not sure regarding tipping, I usually pass.  

 

If Seller stated specific tipping and that was wrong, Seller should take the shaft back.  

 

If Buyer assumed without asking and Seller did not specify tipping, Buyer should keep the shaft.  

 

Just my two cents... 

 

- KC

Kind of stuck with it at this point. 😂 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, snapier said:

Buying a used shaft is a crap shoot, whether here, eBay or anywhere else.  A buyer should always ask and a seller should always disclose

 

The seller should take it back and you should pay shipping

 

If seller won’t accept a return, open a claim through PayPal for undisclosed or not as described

I actually offered that I pay shipping back since I didn’t ask about tipping  but he said no he has no obligation to take it back.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, schwollo said:

I actually offered that I pay shipping back since I didn’t ask about tipping  but he said no he has no obligation to take it back.  

I don’t think PP will agree with him. I would file as Snapier suggests

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex

Maltby KE4 Tour 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, snapier said:

I don’t understand the reluctance to accept a return.

 

File a claim

Seller is a guy only here for BST. In 6yrs he has 8 posts and double that number in the BST(which don’t get counted as official posts)

  • Like 1

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex

Maltby KE4 Tour 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Scottishducati said:

In my defense I had no idea about the tipping which is why I didn’t have it posted on the original post. Graphics to tip were posted as well as length. Condition was as posted, which is like new. I don’t usually ask about tipping but obviously it’s a huge thing. Lesson learned. 

 

Fair enough, why then are you reluctant to accept a return?  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Scottishducati said:

I don’t have the sim driver anymore and won’t have any use for it. Shipping it out again or putting a ping adapter on it will cost more money for everyone. Shaft is so popular it will sell so I didn’t see why it was such a big issue. 

 

Accepting a return is the right thing to do.  The other circumstances are non factors.  Too bad you can’t see that.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Having looked at the listing, I think it's on the buyer just as much as the seller.  There's a ruler in the picture that could have been used to infer the tipping information and the buyer admitted to not having asked the question about tipping.  Seems like the seller didn't know the tipping details but did provide sufficient info via pics, and the buyer rushed in without doing adequate research/questioning.

Sun Mountain 2.5+

Garmin Approach G10

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P

Vokey SM7 52.8F, 58.8M

PING BeCu Anser

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had this exact same thing happen to me. I bought from here untipped but sold on eBay. Turns out it was tipped 1.5 inches. Buyer said it worked good for him but wanted partial refund because of resale value. I told him I would allow a full return and he took me up on it. I was able to trade on here for same value as sold on eBay. This time I disclosed the tipping. Overall I think the right thing to do is to accept return and you will be able to sell for similar value. Person who I bought from on here was unaware of tipping too. I guess more research is needed next time from me and as a potential buyer to make sure you verify. 
 

also, buyer the shaft may work for you so I’d take it for a spin to make sure it doesn’t work before returning. 

Edited by LeftyMatt24
  • Like 2

TS3 8.5 Ventus Blue 7x or ZF 60TX

Ping G410 17 degree Ventus Blue 9x

Callaway UT 21 bent to 19 KBS Proto 105X

T100S 1 degree weak 4-PW Project X 7.0

SM8 50 Project X 6.5 
SM7 54 Project X 6.5 

Taylormade Hi-Toe 60 Project X 6.5

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5

Srixon XV 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On certain tips that are very stiff in the tip section, the tipping actually will soften the playing profile.  The reason for this is because the beefy section has been partially removed.  it all depends on the shaft profile.  Its not a absolute, that tipping will make the shaft stiffer.

 

* I do remember reading that the Ventus is tip stiff and it is not advised to tip it, perhaps that recommendation is because it will make the shaft play softer ?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

From the looks of it, I think that’s only 1 inch. Fujikura told me 4 inches to the E.

 

correct answer is below. Thanks for clarification.  

Edited by LeftyMatt24
Adding comment to correct tipping

TS3 8.5 Ventus Blue 7x or ZF 60TX

Ping G410 17 degree Ventus Blue 9x

Callaway UT 21 bent to 19 KBS Proto 105X

T100S 1 degree weak 4-PW Project X 7.0

SM8 50 Project X 6.5 
SM7 54 Project X 6.5 

Taylormade Hi-Toe 60 Project X 6.5

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5

Srixon XV 

Link to post
Share on other sites

thats 1.5" for sure, although Fujikura is correct that it is 4" to the E, the shaft does not extend all the way through the hosel....so u measure the shaft approximately 1/2" from the very tip

 

If u were to pull the adapter, you will see the shaft measures just shy of 43.5" but with adapter on, it is just shy of 44"

Edited by puresurfr
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Seller is under no obligation to accept a return, he posted information that could have led the buyer to identify tipping, buyer didn't do that diligence, or even ask. The shaft meets the description as it was sold.

 

Only instance seller should accept a return is if he feels like it.... and he isn't a bad guy, or a bad seller, for not doing so. Lesson learned for the buyer.

Edited by 000
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeftyMatt24 said:

I had this exact same thing happen to me. I bought from here untipped but sold on eBay. Turns out it was tipped 1.5 inches. Buyer said it worked good for him but wanted partial refund because of resale value. I told him I would allow a full return and he took me up on it. I was able to trade on here for same value as sold on eBay. This time I disclosed the tipping. Overall I think the right thing to do is to accept return and you will be able to sell for similar value. Person who I bought from on here was unaware of tipping too. I guess more research is needed next time from me and as a potential buyer to make sure you verify. 
 

also, buyer the shaft may work for you so I’d take it for a spin to make sure it doesn’t work before returning. 

I actually offered to sell for seller and just to have him pay the diff so we aren’t both out of money. Unfortunately the 1.5 tipping makes the value a lot less and nobody has PMd me about the shaft..even after this thread 😂 

I didn’t try shaft out in hopes that I could return it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brew4eagle said:

Having looked at the listing, I think it's on the buyer just as much as the seller.  There's a ruler in the picture that could have been used to infer the tipping information and the buyer admitted to not having asked the question about tipping.  Seems like the seller didn't know the tipping details but did provide sufficient info via pics, and the buyer rushed in without doing adequate research/questioning.

Yes I did not look at the picture closely enough and didn’t realize the tipping until after I compared it to my untipped black. I offered to pay shipping back since I know it wasn’t all on seller and as stated above I even offered to sell the shaft for him just pay me the diff. I wasn’t sure what to do since this was the first time I had an issue with any transaction on BST in over a decade. Usually wrxers state the tipping in the description so I just assumed it was not. I do know now what to look for with regards to tipping and won’t make that mistake again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, schwollo said:

I actually offered to sell for seller and just to have him pay the diff so we aren’t both out of money. ... 

But why should original seller be out any $ for your lack of due diligence?  The original listing contains all the info you needed, and the shaft was received in the as described condition. 

  • Like 3

Sun Mountain 2.5+

Garmin Approach G10

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P

Vokey SM7 52.8F, 58.8M

PING BeCu Anser

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...