Can forgiveness become a bad thing?

CW13

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

I've said this 100x in these threads but i can't remember the last time ive hit a ball on a normal weather conditions day and TRULY been surprised by where it landed. Can usually tell as soon as it leaves the face what type of contact i made and whether it will be long / short etc...

Bingo, any decent player who plays on a regular basis pretty much knows exactly what's going to happen the minute they hit it. 

• Like 2

Obviously you can tell when you flush a shot with any club. It always feels great! 

The max GI clubs I've hit would give a large percentage of that same sensation even when I didn't catch the ball in the sweet spot. I'm not talking about a near-shank, but 1/8" off the center feels a lot like the center. 

Again, I wouldn't try to convince anyone to change clubs, but there IS a difference. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

7 minutes ago, me05501 said:

Obviously you can tell when you flush a shot with any club. It always feels great! 

The max GI clubs I've hit would give a large percentage of that same sensation even when I didn't catch the ball in the sweet spot. I'm not talking about a near-shank, but 1/8" off the center feels a lot like the center. 

Again, I wouldn't try to convince anyone to change clubs, but there IS a difference. 

And on a club with some help largely performs like a center hit. Are you telling me you make mid-round adjustments based off 1/8" off center hits? Give me a break lol

2 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

And on a club with some help largely performs like a center hit. Are you telling me you make mid-round adjustments based off 1/8" off center hits? Give me a break lol

When did I ever say I made mid-round adjustments? 

Over the course of a season, your setup and swing will change. Some people just roll with that and enjoy playing clubs that give them enough margin for error to play right through those changes. That is totally 100% AOK with me. Doesn't bother me at all. I hope those people enjoy the game as much as I do. 

Other people would rather get on top of any issues or changes that start to creep in. For us that's part of the challenge and also part of the fun of the game. It might mean a few more approach shots fall short into the odd greenside bunker sometimes, and we're okay with that. It's not a value judgement. It's just a personal preference. 

It's also situational. Where I live you can play golf under good conditions for about 8 months a year and under poor conditions for a couple more. I have plenty of season. If I lived up north and had a shorter season I'd probably want to play more and practice less. I'd grab whatever the most forgiving clubs were and enjoy myself more. 

Same goes for drivers. There's not much excuse for choosing a less forgiving driver. Barely anyone does. 

Again, not judging anyone. Not asking to be judged. Just saying there's clearly a difference. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

4 minutes ago, pgatw said:

1/8 off, wow.

Exactly. At that margin you're not going to feel any difference with a shovel, is my point. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

To me, this is a simple "yes".

If you come to rely on getting away with, say, toed drives, you will become accustomed to that being a "sweet spot". It's not, of course. So if you get a little bit more off, it's a terrible shot. It doesn't take much. Take a week or two off, come back, and you're a little bit off, and the bad shots are *really* bad.

For me, the key isn't how "big" the forgiveness is. It's about being able to get feedback from your shot that says it's right or wrong. Now "wrong" might not be too penal, and that's good. But if you can't tell the difference between a centred shot and a miss based on the outcome, that's not helpful.

Also, the better you get, the more easily you can tell this difference.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

1 minute ago, me05501 said:

When did I ever say I made mid-round adjustments? 

Over the course of a season, your setup and swing will change. Some people just roll with that and enjoy playing clubs that give them enough margin for error to play right through those changes. That is totally 100% AOK with me. Doesn't bother me at all. I hope those people enjoy the game as much as I do. 

Other people would rather get on top of any issues or changes that start to creep in. For us that's part of the challenge and also part of the fun of the game. It might mean a few more approach shots fall short into the odd greenside bunker sometimes, and we're okay with that. It's not a value judgement. It's just a personal preference. 

It's also situational. Where I live you can play golf under good conditions for about 8 months a year and under poor conditions for a couple more. I have plenty of season. If I lived up north and had a shorter season I'd probably want to play more and practice less. I'd grab whatever the most forgiving clubs were and enjoy myself more. 

Same goes for drivers. There's not much excuse for choosing a less forgiving driver. Barely anyone does. 

Again, not judging anyone. Not asking to be judged. Just saying there's clearly a difference. 

I don't care what you (or anyone else) plays, but this notion that only blades/CBs provide adequate feedback is simply not true. If you play any club long enough, you will learn exactly how you hit it, every time. The slight mishits feel less apparent on GIs clubs, well because that is the club doing it's job. If the weight is less concentrated, the sweet spot is inherently larger, thus the twisting effect of hitting off center is less extreme, but it absolutely is still there.

These threads would end much quicker if folks were just truthful and said "I play blades, mostly because I like the way they look and feel" instead of trying to convince a forum of people that the feedback they provide is actually beneficial to their game. 

46 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

These threads would end much quicker if folks were just truthful and said "I play blades, mostly because I like the way they look and feel" instead of trying to convince a forum of people that the feedback they provide is actually beneficial to their game. 

Most pros and better players prefer blades or small cb's designed to look like GI clubs because of their sponsors but actuality play closer to blades for a reason. Since their goal is to win tournaments and money I think we can assume these clubs are beneficial to their game.

Just because someones swing isn't as refined as a pro doesn't mean they can't see benefits from smaller irons, like myself for example. My blades are as small as they come and short too, and it's possible I have never seen anything any smaller come out since I started playing in the 90's. They are cheap and won't impress anyone with their looks, but I have never seen a club set up so pretty. They are also 304 steel, which feels as soft as some blades I have played. I hit these irons the best I've hit anything and when I hit a good shot it stays in my mind and reminds me to put a good swing on the ball the next time which gives me a lot of confidence, which is a lot more important to my swing than anything else.

• Like 1

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

1 hour ago, me05501 said:

Exactly. At that margin you're not going to feel any difference with a shovel, is my point. 

Firstly I wasn't suggesting that a player can tell as little as 1/8 of an inch. I'm suggesting he can tell "low toe", "high heel", etc. not necessarily an eighth away from,,,,,,, wherever.

But low toe, high heel etc. is enough to tell the player roughly where he missed it and act accordingly.

I might also suggest that 1/8 of an inch is probably still within the "effective" sweet spot of the "shovel" and therefore wouldn't feel any different. It very well may be detected 1/8 away with a blade.

Then again, the shovel's outcome wouldn't be noticeably different either. And that's pretty much the point of the shovel anyway, yes ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

2 hours ago, Krt22 said:

Yeah but no, you make it seem like everything feels the same off a Gi club, and that simply isnt the case.

If you are a decent player, you know when you absolutely middle one and you know when you missed, the only difference between the two is the outcome of the shot, forgiving clubs may turn out ok and very unforgiving clubs can be very penile. Heck you can even make those determinations with the largest most forgiving club in the bag (driver), so it's absurd to think you can't make those distinctions with an iron. You just need to play them enough to figure it out, since a mishit with one club is going to feel/sound different than a mishit with another. You don't need the club to vibrate out of your hand to figure out if you hit one thin

Heh, heh heh, you said "penile". Heh heh heh,,,,,, :classic_laugh:

1s3wlm.gif

• Haha 2

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

47 minutes ago, Gsea said:

Acer XV tour's are blades?

s-l1600.jpg

That's the Acer XV which is larger and has a lot of offset. The Acer XV Pro is a smaller cb and  and the Acer XV is the smallest and is definitely a blade, with no hollow parts like the other ones, only more weight in the bottom that is common with some type of blade designs even from decades ago. Also, it has very little offset, even less than many Hogan, Mizuno, Muira, Titelist, Callaway, etc. blades that I have looked at.

I have all three Acer XV irons for me and my two adult daughters. Here is a profile of the Tour compared to the Pro from Hireko Golf, the manufacturer of the clubs.

1568611698-159762-tourblade-diagram-1920.jpeg

Edited by chipa
  • Like 1

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

Whether it's a 45 year marriage (as of Aug. 23) or one's golf game, forgiveness is absolute necessary to get you over the rough spots.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I think Bladehunter says it best: if you THINK your clubs are holding you back, then they will. Case in point: I had the best net score at the club championship a few years back playing cgi but the next year couldn't hit them for ****. Just lost confidence and replaced them. 

The focus thing I agree with chippa13: a bad swing will result in a bad shot, and if not you just got lucky. I swing my old bladed pw the same as my gi other irons and can shank, blade or top my GIs with the best of them.. If there was a major for doing that I would have beaten Jack's record already. 

Lastly, if you're a good golfer you can hit anything. Indeed, plenty of pro's playing cgi clubs. Check out Golf with Gen on YT for example. G410s

Bag 1: 2h: Srixon ZX4h: TM M1 ('17) ; Irons: MD Golf 7i & 9i, Wedges: RTX full face 52o & 58o; Putter: Spalding Pro Flite

Bag 2: 3h: Nickent 3dx; 3i: Cobra One-Length utility; 7i: TM M4; 8/9i: Inesis 500; Wedges: AW: TM RSi (50o); Cleveland RTX full face 54o; RTX 588 60o; Putter: Ping

If I play with an extremely forgiving club I let nad habits create into my swing. I still get away with good results but I start to regress and get sloppy. 

I prefer a club that's a bit harder to play but far from a pure butter knife. I prefer a club that rewards you for a pure strike, in feel and performance. I find a club that is super forgiving tends to lack feel and feedback. 

Everyone is different and finding that balance can get expensive and lead to a bad case of Club Ho.... but in a good way. 

• Like 2

Playing the wrong shaft will create more problems than the style of iron itself.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

16 hours ago, karstens_ghost said:

If you come to rely on getting away with, say, toed drives, you will become accustomed to that being a "sweet spot".

Just embarrassingly bad to actually believe this...

• Thanks 1

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

17 hours ago, Krt22 said:

But that's just not true, which is probably why it doesn't play out that way.

For one thing, almost no one plays "blades" these days and true blades aren't even offered in the marketplace. We all play a version of "game improvement" clubs, whether it's perimeter weighted or weight shifted down and back or out of the hosel and into the sole or whatever. Almost every iron you can find on the shelves today is far more forgiving than what was available 40 years ago, even the "players clubs." 

Sole designs are radically different between a forged cavity back and an Max GI shovel. Top lines are very different. Offset is a huge difference. Ballflight is often very different. 

Some players need/want/get used to a lot of offset in their irons and that effects everything from ball position to their swing to how their game transitions from their highest-lofted iron to their lowest-lofted wedge. 

Some players like seeing a thick topline behind the ball because it helps them feel more powerful or in control or helps with their alignment. Others don't. 

Some players want to throw the ball very high up in the air and have it land softly. Other players control the ball using spin. One isn't better than the other, but it's different. 

I don't think anyone is here to try to convince anyone to play a different iron. The OP's question was whether too much forgiveness can hold a player back. Some of us are trying to answer that question from our own experience. Welcome to the internet. 

Edited by me05501

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

29 minutes ago, me05501 said:

But that's just not true, which is probably why it doesn't play out that way.

For one thing, almost no one plays "blades" these days and true blades aren't even offered in the marketplace. We all play a version of "game improvement" clubs, whether it's perimeter weighted or weight shifted down and back or out of the hosel and into the sole or whatever. Almost every iron you can find on the shelves today is far more forgiving than what was available 40 years ago, even the "players clubs." 

Sole designs are radically different between a forged cavity back and an Max GI shovel. Top lines are very different. Offset is a huge difference. Ballflight is often very different. 

Some players need/want/get used to a lot of offset in their irons and that effects everything from ball position to their swing to how their game transitions from their highest-lofted iron to their lowest-lofted wedge. 

Some players like seeing a thick topline behind the ball because it helps them feel more powerful or in control or helps with their alignment. Others don't. 

Some players want to throw the ball very high up in the air and have it land softly. Other players control the ball using spin. One isn't better than the other, but it's different. 

I don't think anyone is here to try to convince anyone to play a different iron. The OP's question was whether too much forgiveness can hold a player back. Some of us are trying to answer that question from our own experience. Welcome to the internet. 

You forgot about the high cap guys who like to be forced to "focus", which seems to clutter up much of these threads............and makes me chuckle a little.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

You forgot about the high cap guys who like to be forced to "focus", which seems to clutter up much of these threads............and makes me chuckle a little.

It's presumptuous to speak on others behalf or assume that they are disingenuous.

Edited by chipa

Notes:

I already said this but here goes again - most pro play small blades or cb in their scoring irons for a reason, after all they don't need to impress anyone they do it for performance.

Also, just because a pro plays a supposed GI iron does not mean it is the same spec off the shelf, this is an old trick that has been around for at least 20 years to sell clubs. There is a reason most pro don't play stock GI's.

Edited by chipa

Notes:

I am wondering if the shape of the flight of guys who prefer GI is mostly out to in as opposed to guys who prefer blades or players irons, which I expect is from the inside.

Edited by chipa

Notes:

24 minutes ago, chipa said:

I already said this but here goes again - most pro play small blades or cb in their scoring irons for a reason, after all they don't need to impress anyone they do it for performance.

Also, just because a pro plays a supposed GI iron does not mean it is the same spec off the shelf, this is an old trick that has been around for at least 20 years to sell clubs. There is a reason most pro don't play atcok GI's.

You do also realize that just because a pro plays a small blade or cb does not mean it is the same spec off the shelf. Anyone who plays something just because of a perceived pro usage is making a mistake.

26 minutes ago, chipa said:

I am wondering if the shape of the flight of guys who prefer GI is mostly out to in as opposed to guys who prefer blades or players irons, which I expect is from the inside.

If you're playing a draw off of an outside to in swing then you're going to be spending a lot of time in the trees.

Just now, chippa13 said:

You do also realize that just because a pro plays a small blade or cb does not mean it is the same spec off the shelf. Anyone who plays something just because of a perceived pro usage is making a mistake.

Sure but then again how small can you go and how little offset can you have?

Also, whether you belive it or not some guys play blades not to imitate pros but because it is good for their game. Just like pro play small clubs for a reason. BTW, my small blades look a little cheap and I'm sure no pro plays them

Notes:

1 minute ago, chippa13 said:

If you're playing a draw off of an outside to in swing then you're going to be spending a lot of time in the trees.

Could be but a GI iron the size of a shovel with 6mm of offset won't help my snap hooks that's for sure - as I have already found out.

Notes: