Can forgiveness become a bad thing?

CW13

2 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

Out of all the possible causes for a snap hook, the club head shouldn't even be a part of the list.

I think it seems clear you don't suffer from snap hooking because most guys who do, including pros like Ricky Fowler, go for clubs with little to no offset and  on the smaller side as well and absolutely avoid GI irons like the plague - for good reason.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

1 hour ago, me05501 said:

But that's just not true, which is probably why it doesn't play out that way.

For one thing, almost no one plays "blades" these days and true blades aren't even offered in the marketplace. We all play a version of "game improvement" clubs, whether it's perimeter weighted or weight shifted down and back or out of the hosel and into the sole or whatever.
Almost every iron you can find on the shelves today is far more forgiving than what was available 40 years ago, even the "players clubs." 

Sole designs are radically different between a forged cavity back and an Max GI shovel. Top lines are very different. Offset is a huge difference. Ballflight is often very different. 

Some players need/want/get used to a lot of offset in their irons and that effects everything from ball position to their swing to how their game transitions from their highest-lofted iron to their lowest-lofted wedge. 

Some players like seeing a thick topline behind the ball because it helps them feel more powerful or in control or helps with their alignment. Others don't. 

Some players want to throw the ball very high up in the air and have it land softly. Other players control the ball using spin. One isn't better than the other, but it's different. 

I don't think anyone is here to try to convince anyone to play a different iron. The OP's question was whether too much forgiveness can hold a player back. Some of us are trying to answer that question from our own experience. Welcome to the internet. 

I'm certainly not going to speak for KRT as he does fine by himself, but I believe he is primarily, if not exclusively, referring to the HIGH handicappers telling "us" blades help them focus more.

The reason this is borderline laughable is because few of us have seen this mythical 20 handicapper that has anything but poor swing mechanics. And while I suppose it IS possible that focusing helps even this player, because of terrible mechanics the help is likely to be marginal at best. 

Now IF this guy intends to get serious about the game, fine. Bring those blades to an instructor and learn how to swing a golf club. And whether it takes a week, or 10, or 100 to learn how to swing the club properly and you still love those blades, by all means keep hitting them.

But the vast majority of those 20 'cappers, even those interested enough to be here on WRX, are casual players with no more lofty expectations than to get a little better by playing more - and they will - get a little better due to sheer repetition. 

If they don't intend to work seriously at the game but still want to score better, most of them will score better with GIs.

Now, as for you club descriptions I'll be brief (you're all welcome BTW). The blade as *I* define it, is a single and solid hunk of metal whose back is forged into a mostly regular shape; some bulge not a problem and with NO perimeter weighting. Even the old Mizuno MP-60s are a player's CB.

Shaping the blade or changing the hosel size moves the sweet spot thereby making one blade suit a particular player while another might not, but does not enlarge it, at least not in any significant way. Therefore the "requirement" of pure strikes is more important.

Hence those features would not, IMO, constitute "game improvement". Perimeter weighting does enlarge the SS. That IS game improvement.

That said, I agree. Golfers should play whatever they want for whatever reasons they want.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I’m not sure if large heads with more forgiveness will help other people, but I’ve got a fitting with CC on Saturday and I’m looking forward to trying hybrid irons. While I’ve made strides this summer in ball striking and now hit the ball straight most of the time with significantly better ball striking, I want to make this game as easy as possible, and I’m not above using ugly technology to do it. I don’t care what the club looks like as long as it gets me closer to the hole more consistently. I don’t need a smaller iron to focus on my swing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chippa13 said:

You do also realize that just because a pro plays a small blade or cb does not mean it is the same spec off the shelf. Anyone who plays something just because of a perceived pro usage is making a mistake.

The biggest distinction between our clubs and the pros is that their clubs are ALWAYS fit very specifically to their needs, including being adjusted over time as their needs change. 

I think it would be really amazing if we could all be fit into clubs without seeing the clubs we were being fit into. I realize this is impossible but a man can dream. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

1 hour ago, me05501 said:

The biggest distinction between our clubs and the pros is that their clubs are ALWAYS fit very specifically to their needs, including being adjusted over time as their needs change. 

I think it would be really amazing if we could all be fit into clubs without seeing the clubs we were being fit into. I realize this is impossible but a man can dream. 

Wait, you mean you guys don't have 3-5 sets of irons made up, all a little different to test out which you prefer 🤨

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

2 hours ago, nsxguy said:

The reason this is borderline laughable is because few of us have seen this mythical 20 handicapper that has anything but poor swing mechanics. And while I suppose it IS possible that focusing helps even this player, because of terrible mechanics the help is likely to be marginal at best. 

Sometimes you just have to think outside of the box. I am a high hc'er for sure but have played to a single digit hc too. Also, my swing speed has been close to 130 mph when I was younger and I'm quite a small guy and there is no way I have gotten there w/o good mechanics. The problem is my swing comes and goes like the wind and I have been on a mission to find out why.

I also suffer from snap hooks, and what apparently guys who don't do this can't comprehend is why an iron with a huge head and lots of offset make people who think hook hook even more.

My advice to you my friend is spend time in the shoes of others before assuming. Take care.

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

6 minutes ago, chipa said:

Sometimes you just have to think outside of the box. I am a high hc'er for sure but have played to a single digit hc too. Also, my swing speed has been close to 130 mph when I was younger and I'm quite a small guy and there is no way I have gotten there w/o good mechanics. The problem is my swing comes and goes like the wind and I have been on a mission to find out why.

I also suffer from snap hooks, and what apparently guys who don't do this can't comprehend is why an iron with a huge head and lots of offset make people who think hook hook even more.

My advice to you my friend is spend time in the shoes of others before assuming. Take care.

A swing speed 17 mph higher than the tour average of 113 mph? Impressive.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

A swing speed 17 mph higher than the tour average of 113 mph? Impressive.

Thanks, but it's not rare, there's lots of guys who swing faster that have competed in long drive competitions but can't play to a single digit hc.

• Like 2

Notes:

3 hours ago, chipa said:

Thanks, but it's not rare, there's lots of guys who swing faster that have competed in long drive competitions but can't play to a single digit hc.

It's not only rare, you're damn near a unicorn! 33 years playing this game I've never encountered a 15 handicap with a 130 mph SS on the course.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

3 hours ago, chipa said:

Firstly I am not assuming anything. I gave you MY observation and opinion.

Secondly, I've seen 40 handicappers connect on 1 out of 30 swings. Think blind,,,,,,, squirrel,,,,,,, nut,,,,,,,,,, And that one swing doesn't mean their swing is like Rory's.

So frankly, if your swing "comes and goes like the wind" you either have physical issues and/or poor swing mechanics.

Oh,,,,,, and IMO,,,,,, :classic_smile:

Titleist Pro V1X

2 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

It's not only rare, you're damn near a unicorn! 33 years playing this game I've never encountered a 15 handicap with a 130 mph SS on the course.

I can't manage that anymore, more than likely 110-115, I'm 55 after all with back issues from surgery. When I do get the sequence right people like to watch. I also generally was the longest driver when I played as a single if I had some semblance of a swing that day.

Notes:

2 hours ago, nsxguy said:

So frankly, if your swing "comes and goes like the wind" you either have physical issues and/or poor swing mechanics.

Oh,,,,,, and IMO,,,,,, :classic_smile:

I do have swing mechanics issues, I've said that before. When I do get it right its fun to watch even if it is only close to 300.

Notes:

On 11/4/2020 at 9:40 AM, chippa13 said:

Out of all the possible causes for a snap hook, the club head shouldn't even be a part of the list.

Have to differ... I've always hit a relatively straight ball without offset, help not needed.  From 2006 to 2015 I played original X-Forged with minimal offset.  Though they were good clubs I decided it was time to upgrade so bought a set of 2-PW Taylormade Rsi TP irons.  I knew they had more offset and stronger lofts but I like their look and though I could adjust after installing my PX 6.0 in them. 

I still have those irons, they are nice looking.  I let guests use them.  I didn't have them but a week and encountered a hooking problem.  The only time I didn't hook was when I took an inordinate amount of time to adjust my setup and hands to accommodate the offset.

As is said, any good golfer should be able to hit any club, and it's true.  Except when I am under $$$ game or tournament pressure all I think about the shot plan, setup comes natural to me.  I kept them in the bag for about a year.  Hence, I bought 716CB's and was happy again, and been that way ever since.  I love my 620's.  It's my belief irons adjust to us, not the other way around.  

• Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I am a golfer with tennis background too. IMHO, tennis rackets are a lot more standardised than golf clubs and rackets don't determine your level of play. Golfing world preaches exact opposite, ie beginners and pros should use different kind of clubs. I used to believe that mantra until I actually tried using blades. I am about 20 handycap. Blades are just as easy (or hard) to hit as game improvement irons. No difference at all. Golf is a lot more image conscious than tennis. I put it down to that. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Tackygolfer said:

I am a golfer with tennis background too. IMHO, tennis rackets are a lot more standardised than golf clubs and rackets don't determine your level of play. Golfing world preaches exact opposite, ie beginners and pros should use different kind of clubs. I used to believe that mantra until I actually tried using blades. I am about 20 handycap. Blades are just as easy (or hard) to hit as game improvement irons. No difference at all. Golf is a lot more image conscious than tennis. I put it down to that. 

Tennis rackets are just as defined as golf clubs are. High level tennis players play control oriented low power rackets, high level golfers use high control, low power irons. In both situations by playing the control option they give up some forgiveness to be more precise. You are a 20 handicap. I'm not sure your swing would be good enough to tell the difference between the two irons at this point. This is coming from someone who is around scratch and had a tennis rating of 4.5 when I was playing.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tackygolfer said:

All you've written here is correct, good post.

• Sad 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

9 hours ago, Tackygolfer said:

You are absolutely correct.  

We will give it a moment for @nsxguyto calm down lol.

If you, as a 20 handicap, barely make contact on the perimeter of the club it really will not matter what type of club you use. The result will be awful.  I find it difficult to believe, however, that as a solid tennis player with decent hand eye coordination you are a 20 handicap if you play golf much at all.  If you use your tennis move and make presentable contact game improvement irons would give you better results. 

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Basing players iron types on handicap is like basing shaft flex on swing speed only.  You can be a higher handicap and make solid contact.  They can lose stroke with the short game or bad decision.  You can also be a lower handicapper needing help.  

Going back to what was said several times.  Find a club head the fits you eye and focus on the right shaft.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

If you, as a 20 handicap, barely make contact on the perimeter of the club it really will not matter what type of club you use. The result will be awful.  I find it difficult to believe, however, that as a solid tennis player with decent hand eye coordination you are a 20 handicap if you play golf much at all.  If you use your tennis move and make presentable contact game improvement irons would give you better results. 

This isn't true at all tho...  It's literally one of the easiest things in golf to debunk...

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

16 minutes ago, gwelfgulfer said:

This isn't true at all tho...  It's literally one of the easiest things in golf to debunk...

Tell us why then...not just claim it’s wrong. 

1 minute ago, Shilgy said:

Tell us why then...not just claim it’s wrong. 

Unless you are claiming he is a wonderful ballstriker but just can’t putt? That type of unicorn?

On 11/4/2020 at 2:43 PM, me05501 said:

Don't over think this.  They are playing against the highest level competition.  Any touring pro can play your clubs and break par at your local course.  Unless your local course is Oakmont. Fit clubs is not what separates them from us.   It's all about the swing. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Oh, my 20 handy comes from my short game. I started playing golf last year and I find short game really not easy. My iron play is actually pretty good, my coach says my ability to control the head is extremely good. 

9 hours ago, Jc0 said:

Tennis rackets are just as defined as golf clubs are. High level tennis players play control oriented low power rackets, high level golfers use high control, low power irons. In both situations by playing the control option they give up some forgiveness to be more precise. You are a 20 handicap. I'm not sure your swing would be good enough to tell the difference between the two irons at this point. This is coming from someone who is around scratch and had a tennis rating of 4.5 when I was playing.

You might be right my swing is probably not as good as someone who's been golf playing for decades. I am still learning. It's my observation that using blades or GIs make no difference to my game. I do feel the differences though. My Jpx 919 hot metal pro feels and sounds like a little explosion happening when I hit the sweet spot. Whereas my mp67 or Mp18 SC feel a lot more subdued and I like that better. Isn't golf about enjoying the game, not snobbery? If Blades feel better and make your game no worse, why not use them? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tackygolfer said:

I must be that unicorn 😉

Based on your other post though it makes no sense, but then that’s coming from a guy that thinks the short game is the easy part. Think of your basic chip as a drop shot. Not like a short crisp volley. It is just a calm relaxed chip, not a short backstroke and stab.

Edited to add....the long game, aka ballstriking, cannot be that strong. To be a 20 with a bad short gameI would bet you average at most 5 greens in regulation per round. And that is a generous estimate. A strong long game would be little or no penalty strokes. So even if you miss every green you would make bogey on most missed greens. Clearly you are not doing either.

But that is okay for now. You seem to currently think of yourself as a tennis player, not as a golfer.

Edited by Shilgy

2 hours ago, LeoLeo99 said:

Don't over think this.  They are playing against the highest level competition.  Any touring pro can play your clubs and break par at your local course.  Unless your local course is Oakmont. Fit clubs is not what separates them from us.   It's all about the swing. 

As I stated I’m referring to the difference between their gear and ours, not their game and ours. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

2 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Based on your other post though it makes no sense, but then that’s coming from a guy that thinks the short game is the easy part. Think of your basic chip as a drop shot. Not like a short crisp volley. It is just a calm relaxed chip, not a short backstroke and stab.

Edited to add....the long game, aka ballstriking, cannot be that strong. To be a 20 with a bad short gameI would bet you average at most 5 greens in regulation per round. And that is a generous estimate. A strong long game would be little or no penalty strokes. So even if you miss every green you would make bogey on most missed greens. Clearly you are not doing either.

But that is okay for now. You seem to currently think of yourself as a tennis player, not as a golfer.

:classic_laugh:

I mean seriously. Here's a guy that started a year ago and knows everything about everything. 

First he says there's no difference ('tween tennis rackets and golf clubs) ,,,,,, and next thing you know he's agreeing with the guy who refuted his claim.

Now he's the "unicorn" 20 handicapper that just can't putt. Puts him right up there with our buddy @bladehunter,,,,,,,,, Oh, except that bladehunter is scratch. :classic_biggrin:

Somehow I think it's not just putting,,,,,,,,,,,,  

• Like 2

Titleist Pro V1X

8 hours ago, Shilgy said:

No, actually he's not as @Jc0 so kindly pointed out.

When I learned to play tennis I started with an oversize rackets just as the instructor(s) suggested. It ain't no fun not getting the ball over the net but 1 out of 10 swings because you can't find the sweet spot. Hmmmmmm,,,,,, sounds a bit like SGI irons. :classic_rolleyes:

Once I learned a bit and got to a 2.0 or so I moved to the midsize racket, a nice combination of power and control. Hmmmmmm,,,,,,,, sounds a bit like GI, maybe even PCB, irons. :classic_rolleyes:

Never got passed 4.5 but I do understand many of the pros mostly play midsize while a few play smaller heads (blades ?) because THEY can find the sweet spot time after time and don't need the extra power of the larger rackets. Hmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,, sounds a bit like (golf) blades. :classic_rolleyes:

Now let's see here. What are the commonalities ? Oh, riiiiiight. FORGIVENESS, because beginners CAN'T hit the sweet spot with any sort of consistency and it's no fun at all playing like that.

Wow, whadya know ? Excepting power (of the rackets), coincidences abound. :classic_laugh:

And tsk, tsk, my friend. How disingenuous of you suggesting that ANYBODY is talking about making contact on the perimeter of the club. 

Anybody suggesting a lesser player/beginner might play GIs because of forgiveness certainly isn't talking about hitting the club on the perimeter of the face, they're talking about missing the sweet spot.

Shame on you. smiley-eatdrink004.gif.145e4569872d564f4

Titleist Pro V1X