Why are there so many Scotty Cameron Special Select Putters for sale?

This is in no way meant to be a negative question about Scotty Cameron or the new line of special select putters.  I think the new line looks and feels  great and will most likely pick up a Newport 2 at some point. Still trying to figure out what weight I want. 

I am surprised at how many almost new special select putters are showing up on the BST and elsewhere for sale.  Is this just a factor of the shear number of putters sold or is there something else going on? Interested to hear from others especially those who bought a quickly sold a special select putter.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's my biggest issue I always have when I spend money for a putter.  A few missed putts and I start thinking "I can miss putts with my 20 year old Bullseye".  I bought a 2020 NP2 and also a Flowbac

I pre-ordered before they came out. I received the putter the day after the release day. I sold it the next day after only hitting about 5 putts on the carpet. For me, the face is too shallow and putt

There's so many for sale here because   1.  It's a popular brand and people buy them. 2.  This forum is full of club ho's 3.  Brand retains its value very well, which benefits the

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Tar_Heel_93 said:

This is in no way meant to be a negative question about Scotty Cameron or the new line of special select putters.  I think the new line looks and feels  great and will most likely pick up a Newport 2 at some point. Still trying to figure out what weight I want. 

I am surprised at how many almost new special select putters are showing up on the BST and elsewhere for sale.  Is this just a factor of the shear number of putters sold or is there something else going on? Interested to hear from others especially those who bought a quickly sold a special select putter.

Scotty's sell for high $, so sellers figure they can sell and not lose too much, break even, or sometimes make a profit.

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Scotty's don't lose much value except for a few models. So I think a lot guys buy them, try them out as a long term rental and sell them if not a fan. Generally won't lose much or very little on that as long as they take care of it when they own it.

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

I’ll jump on the wagon and agree with the previous posters. I have two Special Select models and they’re my favorite of the modern releases from Scotty to date. 

Ping G410 LST / Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TSi2 16.5* / Fujikura Ventus Black 8x

Titleist TSi2 21* / Fujikura Ventus Red 9x

Titleist T100-S 4-W / True Temper DG X7

Vokey SM8 54-12 D Grind / True Temper DG TI X1

Vokey SM8 WW 58-6 LB K Grind / True Temper DG TI X1

Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5 Dual Balance / KBS CT Tour

PXG One and Done Double Bend / BGT Stability

I would sort of assume that it's an attempt to recoup some of the purchase price; the listed trade in for a Newport 2 undamaged is only around $60.  It's one thing to get a small percentage of a small number when you trade in a club; it's another thing entirely to pay $400 and then get about 15% trade value.

Same reason a lot of people try to sell their used car instead of trading it in.

How about an even simpler explanation? There is a large number special select putters, far larger than the early Scotty Cameron's I own. More putters mean more for sale.

Driver Titleist 913 10.5 Diamana Whiteboard 63 stiff

4 Wood Titleist 913 16..25 Diamana Whiteboard 73 stiff

7 Wood Titleist 913 21 Diamana Whiteboard 83 stiff

Irons 4-PW Titleist 716 T-MB KBS C-Taper Lite stiff

Gap wedge Titleist SM6 50 Dynamic Gold 115

Sand wedge Titleist Vokey TVD 54 K grind Dynamic Gold 115

Lob wedge Titleist Vokey TVD 58 K grind Dynamic Gold 115

Putter Scotty Cameron Red X3

I've wondered the same, I love my SS NP2 so much it's hard to belive folks would want to drop one. But you see it with a lot of titleist stuff as well, it holds value so why not sell it? Not much of anything else because it's dirt cheap, and in turn not on the market after such a quick sale. Cobra or TM stuff gets churned out like crazy and at great prices, Titleist stuff gets sold regardless but they take a second for the right buyer with the right $ comes by. 

Edited by SUPERG

Srixon Tour Issue Z785 (FL) 9*- Speeder TR 661 X 

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* - AD DI 7X 

Cobra Speedzone 3H* - KBS Hybrid Proto 95X

Mizuno MP 18 SC 4-PW KBS C Taper 130X 

Cleveland RTX4 - 52*56*60* - Tour Issue S400 

Scotty Special Select NP2 or Ping Anser Milled 2 

The pure stainless steel face with no aluminum wraparound and feel of these putters is a big upgrade IMO. I bet they are selling a lot of them, hence the inevitable uptick in the used market. This is one of his best lineups. I really like the fastback 1.5, the DelMar and the 5/5.5. Sweet roll with these and I like how they sound. 

On 11/1/2020 at 3:08 PM, chile7236 said:

i found i wasn't putting any better with my scotty so i moved it...i think more people are doing what @MattM97 mentioned.

That's my biggest issue I always have when I spend money for a putter.  A few missed putts and I start thinking "I can miss putts with my 20 year old Bullseye".  I bought a 2020 NP2 and also a Flowback 5 and didn't putt any better than my Ping Zing BZ.

I realize it's mental but also know that there's nothing magical about a Scotty. They are beautiful, well balanced putters but don't help me make more putts.

• Like 1

PING G30 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60
PING G30 3W Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 70
Srixon U65 18* Recoil Prototype 110 F4

Taylormade RocketBladez Tour 3-PW Modus Tour 105

Callaway Jaws CC 52*, 58* Modus 115
Maltby PTM-4

5 hours ago, achappy said:

That's my biggest issue I always have when I spend money for a putter.  A few missed putts and I start thinking "I can miss putts with my 20 year old Bullseye".  I bought a 2020 NP2 and also a Flowback 5 and didn't putt any better than my Ping Zing BZ.

I realize it's mental but also know that there's nothing magical about a Scotty. They are beautiful, well balanced putters but don't help me make more putts.

for some reason, i decided to take it out of the bag while i was putting well with it...went to my mallet (the frontline elevado...which is firmly entrenched in the bag now) and when i put the scotty back in, i was struggling with speed and alignment...so i figured i'd move it...didn't make any $ but got my investment back and am sticking with the elevado for the forseeable future...i rolled some other, popular putters at the PGA SS and none of them seemed to be any "better" for me...

Edited by chile7236

I pre-ordered before they came out. I received the putter the day after the release day. I sold it the next day after only hitting about 5 putts on the carpet. For me, the face is too shallow and putter had to be hovering to hit the sweet spot. I liked the look, but when I put it down next to my 2014 Select, it was almost the same thing. My 2014 felt softer (I'm assuming that is due to the deeper milling) and the face was deeper/taller. I'm sure I'll try whatever he comes out with in 2022.

• Thanks 1

My Special Select Newport 2 just arrived! Got it off the BST. Beautiful putter. Sets up perfectly behind the ball, rolls the ball great and feels really good. The Newport/Anser 2 shape and balance just works for me. Is it an improvement on my Never Compromise or Odyssey ProType Tour series #2?  Have to get on the course and find out.

32FDE73E-D4AC-40C9-BED1-E4EDF785A06A.jpeg

36330A07-CBE6-4DF4-A2A9-BC2494A1EF20.jpeg

D3A9E95F-ADB3-4A51-8701-D94D673557A7.jpeg

8B2F5734-E24D-414D-9D93-2CDB4943DF93.jpeg

27B29641-D057-4651-8B96-CC2927A5FAC0.jpeg

351DA8F3-747F-448C-A6D3-9D2DEE0FF465.jpeg

E7165A92-8116-4A11-9BC1-030A8DEF066D.jpeg

4502A243-0005-4951-81A8-D7A18B43F329.jpeg

968464E7-532C-420C-9CE4-7134CEC848EE.jpeg

Edited by Tar_Heel_93
1 hour ago, Tar_Heel_93 said:

My Special Select Newport 2 just arrived! Got it off the BST. Beautiful putter. Sets up perfectly behind the ball, rolls the ball great and feels really good. The Newport/Anser 2 shape and balance just works for me. Is it an improvement on my Never Compromise or Odyssey ProType Tour series #2?  Have to get on the course and find out.

It's an improvement if you think it's an improvement, they're all milled putters only the Scotty has adjustable weights. So not much difference in all 3 honestly.

Now if you have more confidence standing over a certain putter, like the feel/sound and weight of one that will probably be the one you putt with best if all specs are the same or similar.

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

Because this is what happens when someone finds out that you have 4 Scotty Cameron putters and someone wants new cupboards.

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 10.44.04 AM.png

• Haha 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

This is actually my favorite Scotty line in quite some time. Went from a 2012 Studio Select to two of the Special Selects and couldn’t be happier. Got one brand new off here at a discount, so I’m happy to see them for sale. 

Ping G410 LST / Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TSi2 16.5* / Fujikura Ventus Black 8x

Titleist TSi2 21* / Fujikura Ventus Red 9x

Titleist T100-S 4-W / True Temper DG X7

Vokey SM8 54-12 D Grind / True Temper DG TI X1

Vokey SM8 WW 58-6 LB K Grind / True Temper DG TI X1

Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5 Dual Balance / KBS CT Tour

PXG One and Done Double Bend / BGT Stability

Ditto to many of these comments. More than anything, it's the name that helps retain its value. I remember selling a 2014 Newport Select 2 earlier this year for a good price. That's why I feel like non-SC putters can be picked up at bargains if you linger around the BST forum since they can't collect as much $ as a Scotty, even if their MSRP was the same.  

Reason why I started moving away from SC and why my golf buddy sold his special select off.

1. I am not digging this 'Made in USA' Scotty started with the special select series. Bettinardi has been using this as a selling point for ages and just feels unoriginal of SC.

2. The word 'special' sounds cheap. I can't pin point exactly what it is but that specific word does not go well with premium putter.

3. Every cat and dog has a SC. When this happens it is off putting for some hence we started moving away.

Don't get me wrong. SC makes great putters but I feel I can get equal or even better quality at a cheaper price without the SC logo attached.

On 11/2/2020 at 2:05 PM, FlashinLeather said:

I don't know about other resorts but I do know that Streamsong had a deal for awhile this year where if you stayed two nights they gave you a choice of any putter in the Special Select lineup. Could be people just trying to offset a bit of the cost of a golf trip.

Talamore does it every year in Pinehurst too. 

PXG 0211 12*
PXG 0211 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

PXG 0211 4-PW
Callaway MD4 50* | 54* | 58*
PXG Mini Gunboat Gen 2