Chicago to Phoenix Trip Report (and Back to Chicago)

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I think it's going to be a mix of all of the above. I'll pick up a city card, and play Cave Creek and GCU on a regular basis. I'll travel to Aguila on occasion, but with a 45 minute drive from Desert Ridge it won't be a regular stop. 

There are a handful of lower tier courses that I haven't played, so I'll try to play at least one each week until I've played them all. 

There are a number of mid priced courses that I liked, so they'll get a return visit. I'll also hit a couple of the best courses this year, but I'll certainly be looking for discounted rates. Definitely want to hit Southern Dunes again, as well as Wickenburg Ranch. Might also play Saguaro for the 2nd time. 

Should be a fun winter. I'm likely to play Monday through Friday through the end of the year, but dial it back to four days a week after the new year. 

Let me know if you ever need someone to tee it up with at Cave Creek or any of the other "cheapies".

I don't recall if you ever made it out to Falcon Golf Club near Luke AFB, but that one closed permanently since your visit. Bellair (par 59) is closed due to pending foreclosure. Tres Rios, which I know you played in very poor conditions, closed for the last few months but is supposedly opening later this month under new management. Otherwise in the affordable public golf scene since last winter, rates are up everywhere, and weekend morning tee times are becoming harder to get.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chanceman said:

See if you can get out to Apache Stronghold one day. From past reports its a great course design but in poor condition.

I played it back in early March on my trip back to Chicago. Yeah, it was a great layout, but the conditions were awful. 

Here's my trip report from last year: 2019 Trip Report

Edited by Argonne69

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

3 hours ago, Bonneville85308 said:

Let me know if you ever need someone to tee it up with at Cave Creek or any of the other "cheapies".

I don't recall if you ever made it out to Falcon Golf Club near Luke AFB, but that one closed permanently since your visit. Bellair (par 59) is closed due to pending foreclosure. Tres Rios, which I know you played in very poor conditions, closed for the last few months but is supposedly opening later this month under new management. Otherwise in the affordable public golf scene since last winter, rates are up everywhere, and weekend morning tee times are becoming harder to get.

Yeah, I got a chance to play Falcon. I thought it was decent, and a good value during the winter season. Pity it closed. It seemed to be quite popular with the locals. 

I expect rates to be high, and tee sheets to be full. Going to make the best of it though. Certainly going to have to be more flexible on the tee times. 

Hope we can get together for a few rounds. 

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Time for a wrap up for this half of the trip. I'll reopen the thread in the spring when I head home. I'm still undecided on the route, but I'll probably take the southern route through El Paso, and possibly San Antonio. A northern route through Colo could be interesting, but weather would be a big factor. 

Fun trip. Not as long as last year's, but I still got in five rounds. The weather was great, minus the winds at Gateway. I was also happy to find some decent brewpubs with outdoor dining. Glad I didn't have to eat fast food in my car for five days. 

I was quite happy with the courses. No real bad ones. The rankings are fairly easy:

1) Black Mesa. Again, stunning. Could be one of my top 10 favorite courses. If not it's certainly close. The low price was an unexpected bonus. I almost skipped this one because it added a few hours drive time. That would have been a huge mistake. 

2) Cherokee Hills. Solid layout and a great value. Course has a few quirks, but they can easily be overlooked when you're paying less than $40. 

3) Ross Rogers Wildhorse. Even though it was a little easier than the Mustang course, I thought it presented itself better off the tee. Fewer blind tee shots and the trees helped frame the holes better. Another bargain. 

4) Gateway National. Not quite what I was expecting, but it was still a solid layout. Really wish it had more sculpting/mounding. 

5) Ross Rogers Mustang. Might be at the bottom, but it's still a decent layout. Would have no problem teeing it up there on a regular basis if I was a local. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

Well done sir.

I enjoyed the write up and pictures.

• Thanks 1

Ping G425 LST 9.5 AD-DI 6S
SIM TI 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Stealth 2 7 wood (more shafts need testing)
Srixon 585 4 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Srixon 745 5,6 Nippon Modus 3 120S

Srixon 785 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50,54,60 S200
TM Spider X Chalk

59 minutes ago, Sweetdraw said:

I really enjoyed this thread.

Fun way to make the trip to AZ.

I've played Black Mesa once. 5 years ago on Thanksgiving day. You're review was spot on. Great course.

Agree w previous post regarding checking out Apache Stronghold once your in PHX. It's Tom Doak design. 

As I mentioned, I played Apache back in early March. I really enjoyed the design, but they've completely let the conditions go to sh-t. I could recommend a visit for someone who hasn't played it before just to experience the layout, but I wouldn't make the drive out there for a second visit until the conditions have improved. It's a pity, because the course was once ranked in the top 100 in the country. 

• Argonne69 changed the title to Chicago to Phoenix Trip Report (and Back to Chicago)

My the winter flew by. Four months came and went in a blink of an eye. I'm on my way back to Chicago, and I'll post my reviews as I play my way home. Probably going to play five or six rounds along the way. 

Short drive to Tucson today to play Starr Pass. It appears that the Rattler and Roadrunner 9s are now the championship course, with the Coyote nine used as a walking "short" course. What a beast of a course. Black tees played just over 6300 yds, but had a 135 slope. You want a challenge? You'll find it. The fairways are quite narrow with numerous penalty areas just off the fairway. The junk is quite thick, so even if you do manage to find your ball it will likely be unplayable. There are a few forced carries. There are a handful of semi-blind tee shots. The short 4s are tough. Three of the five par 3s play over 200 yds. Thought they could use a few more bunkers. 

The course has some nice elevated views, and good views of the Catalina Mountains. 

Conditions were excellent. Fairways were lush. The dormant Bermuda rough was fairly thick, unlike most of the courses in Phoenix. The greens appeared to be painted/dyed Bermuda. Holy smokes they were quick. I'd say a good 12. You can't be above the hole. I hit a wonderful tee shot on the long par 3 10th that finished 10 feet past the back pin. I barely got the ball rolling and it finished 12 feet below the hole. Bunkers were in great shape. Pace was excellent at 3:50. 

Overall it was a very enjoyable course, but I sure wouldn't want to play it every week. The three guys I played with must have lost two dozen balls, and the winds didn't pick up until the final four holes. I can't imagine the carnage in windy conditions. 

Edited by Argonne69

Starr Pass 

spacer.png

Fairway? 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: Starr Pass

Challenging, but fun day at Painted Dunes Desert GC in El Paso. I played the East/West nines. Started the round with 15 to 20 mph winds, but the 30 mph winds showed up on the final holes. Glad I got an early start. Lol. 

Got to be honest, the course was a bit of a letdown. It can't hold a candle to Butterfield Trail a few miles away. The course is pretty flat. They do a decent job sculpting some mounds, but the looks from the teeboxes are pretty bland. That's not to say the course is easy. The fairways are pretty narrow, and there are a lot of lines that will take you through the fairway and into the desert. Once again the course could use more bunkering. The greens complexes are fairly interesting. A number of holes have significant drop-off just off the putting surface, leaving some tough shots to get up and down. Only a few water holes. 

Conditions were iffy. The dormant Bermuda fairways arr starting to green up, but right now it leaves some pretty funky lies. The rough is tight dormant Bermuda. The greens are indeed green, but look nasty. On the positive side they rolled fine with a speed just over 11. Bunkers were decent. Pace was excellent at 3:30. 

I have to imagine that the course looks pretty cool once the fairways and rough turn green. Painted Dunes paints a good picture. Right now it's a sliver of some green in a sea of gold/brown. Definitely a challenge, but I would play Butterfield 9 out of 10 times if I was a local. To be fair, though, I paid less than $30 w/ cart. OK, maybe 7 out of 10 times. 

Edited by Argonne69

spacer.png

Full photo set: Painted Dunes Desert

Have a safe trip back.

• Thanks 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Pleasant day at Hogan Park GC in Midland. I played the Roadrunner course. The forecast called for 30 mph winds, but they remained relatively calm at 15 to 2021 mph. Whew. Like yesterday's round, I was a bit let down by the course. There was a little mounding, but overall it was pancake flat. With a sea of dormant Bermuda, it wasn't much to look at off the tee. Decent inexpensive muni for the locals, but one that can easily be passed by. 'Just not much in this area of Texas I guess. 

Conditions were mediocre. Fairways were tight dormant Bermuda. Rough was tighter dormant Bermuda and dirt. Bunkers were wet compacted sand. Greens were bumpy, had plenty of bare spots, and tarps in a number of spots. Speeds were much slower than yesterday. Probably 9 to 10. Pace was fine at 4 hours. 

Thankfully the weather was nice, and I was paired with a great single. The good conversation kept my mind off the quality of the course. Still, it was better than sitting in a hotel room. Off to Texas Star in Dallas tomorrow. 

Edited by Argonne69

spacer.png

More pics: Hogan Park GC

18 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Pleasant day at Hogan Park GC in Midland. I played the Roadrunner course. The forecast called for 30 mph winds, but they remained relatively calm at 15 to 2021 mph. Whew. Like yesterday's round, I was a bit let down by the course. There was a little mounding, but overall it was pancake flat. With a sea of dormant Bermuda, it wasn't much to look at off the tee. Decent inexpensive muni for the locals, but one that can easily be passed by. 'Just not much in this area of Texas I guess. 

Conditions were mediocre. Fairways were tight dormant Bermuda. Rough was tighter dormant Bermuda and dirt. Bunkers were wet compacted sand. Greens were bumpy, had plenty of bare spots, and tarps in a number of spots. Speeds were much slower than yesterday. Probably 9 to 10. Pace was fine at 4 hours. 

Thankfully the weather was nice, and I was paired with a great single. The good conversation kept my mind off the quality of the course. Still, it was better than sitting in a hotel room. Off to Texas Star in Dallas tomorrow. 

I know you're from Chicago but you think 'calm' is 2021 mph!!!??? 😃

Kidding, I'm jealous.  I play gateway often

• Haha 1

Interesting day that turned from bad to decent. On the way to the hotel last night I hit some debris in the road. The sun was setting in my face, and I didn't see it until it was too late. I checked my tire, and it looked OK other than a scuff on the sidewall. While I was putting my suitcase in the vehicle this morning I noticed a walnut sized bulge in the sidewall. Ugh. Not going to work at 80 mph. Luckily there was a tire shop a mile from the hotel, but after the delay I was going to miss my tee time. Thankfully the course was fairly open in the afternoon, and I managed to get in a quick round. Also, the forecast called for 30+ mph winds, and possible rain. The winds strong winds never materialized, and I played in 10 to 15 mph breezes with no rain. 

Texas Star was excellent. It's the type of course I could easily play every week, and that's saying something. It's what I expect from a Texas course. Parkland layout with rolling terrain, and only a handful of homes on one hole. Otherwise it's you and the course. Great mix of long and short par 4s. Two of the three Par 5s are reachable with two good shots. Par 3s are very good with two playing over 200 yds, one playing at a wedge distance, and one requiring a mid iron. Bunkering was good, but as usual I'd like to see more. Green complexes were a little bland, though. Like to see more contouring and tiering. 

Conditions were subpar, but it is early March, and the round only cost $60. The fairways were greening up, but it was more gold than green. Rough was thin in spots. Teeboxes had more sand than turf. Greens were bumpy, and dog slow. 9 at most. Bunkers were awesome. Fluffy sand (finally). Pace was fantastic. Can't recall the last time I encountered this many groups that waved me through. There was enough gapping to allow me to blitz through the course. I tip my hat to each of them. 

Early this morning I figured I'd have a day off. With a little luck it turned out to be a very nice day, minus the cost of a new tire. I'd definitely recommend the course. Not sure what the rates are peak season, but it's probably worth a visit even if it's double the price. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: Texas Star GC

Another odd day. Don't ever remember hitting a dead skunk on the highway before, but I'll sure remember this. I was passing a semi, and there was no room to swerve. Ugh. 

Otherwise it was a pleasant day at Hot Springs Country Club. I played the Arlington course here last March, so I played the Park course this year. It was a decent parkland layout, but I definitely feel the Arlington course is tougher, and provides more eye candy in the way of elevation change. Park does have some elevation change, and some sloped fairways. Gotta work the ball against the slope on a number of holes to keep it in the short grass. The par 5s were mundane. The short par 4s weren't particularly challenging. Par 3s were decent, including the 15th that requires one to hit a dead straight shot between two large trees. Greens were fairly small, and while they had some slope, they weren't as severe as Arlington's. Stop me if you've heard this before, but the course could use a few dozen fairway bunkers. 

Conditions were decent for mid-March. Fairways were more dormant than green, and fairly tight. The rough was a nice height for dormant Bermuda. Bunkers were wonderful. Fluffy white sand. The greens looked and rolled great, but were very slow. 9 at most. They definitely need to be cut. Pace was great. I played as a single, and sailed around the course with only a pair of twosomes to play through mid-round. 

The Park Course is ranked #3 on Golfweek's Best in State (Arkansas), one spot ahead of the Arlington Course. I just don't see it. While it's certainly a quality layout, and worthy of regular play for the club members, I don't consider it a must play. I'd play Arlington 7 out of 10 times. 

I was hoping to play outside Memphis tomorrow, but the forecast calls for rain. Probably going to make a last minute decision when I get in the area. Otherwise that's it for this trip. 

• Like 1

Thread the needle.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: Hot Springs CC Park

Well, unfortunately this morning was a washout. The combination of strong north winds and occasional cloud bursts led me to the conclusion that I've played enough golf on this winter getaway. 91 rounds since November 1st is plenty, and another round in the wind and rain would not have been pleasant. 

As for the five courses this week, I'd rank them:

1) Starr Pass - Tough as nails with nice elevation changes, and a few unique holes. Heck of a bargain, too, especially compared to the rates in Phoenix this time of the year. Highly recommended. 

2) Texas Star - Barely got beat out by Starr. Love the isolation, and the rolling terrain. No real weaknesses. Highly recommended. 

3) Hot Springs CC Park - Nice, but the Arlington course was better. If you're in town and want to play 36, then it's a good warm-up for the sister course. 

4) Painted Dunes Desert - As noted earlier I bet the course looks great in the late Spring once it's greened up. Just too many bland holes to get excited. Play Butterfield, or drive to Las Cruces to play Red Hawk. 

5) Hogan Park - Not much too choose from in west Texas. Solid local course, but easily forgettable. 

Minus the tire problem, and the dead skunk, it was a good trip, assuming I make it back home in one piece tomorrow. Very unlikely I'll be making the trip again next winter, but if I do I'd probably head down earlier with a drive through Nebraska/Colorado, and return via San Antonio or Austin. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 11:49 AM, Argonne69 said:

Well, unfortunately this morning was a washout. The combination of strong north winds and occasional cloud bursts led me to the conclusion that I've played enough golf on this winter getaway. 91 rounds since November 1st is plenty, and another round in the wind and rain would not have been pleasant. 

As for the five courses this week, I'd rank them:

1) Starr Pass - Tough as nails with nice elevation changes, and a few unique holes. Heck of a bargain, too, especially compared to the rates in Phoenix this time of the year. Highly recommended. 

2) Texas Star - Barely got beat out by Starr. Love the isolation, and the rolling terrain. No real weaknesses. Highly recommended. 

3) Hot Springs CC Park - Nice, but the Arlington course was better. If you're in town and want to play 36, then it's a good warm-up for the sister course. 

4) Painted Dunes Desert - As noted earlier I bet the course looks great in the late Spring once it's greened up. Just too many bland holes to get excited. Play Butterfield, or drive to Las Cruces to play Red Hawk. 

5) Hogan Park - Not much too choose from in west Texas. Solid local course, but easily forgettable. 

Minus the tire problem, and the dead skunk, it was a good trip, assuming I make it back home in one piece tomorrow. Very unlikely I'll be making the trip again next winter, but if I do I'd probably head down earlier with a drive through Nebraska/Colorado, and return via San Antonio or Austin. 

Off subject here, but you are definitely the guy who knows Chicagoland golf. My group hopefully are making our trip to Ireland the end of September. Some of us are going to play in Chicago a couple days before our flight to Dublin. We’re going to play Dubsdread and then hopefully Olympia Fields the Tuesday morning before our flight. But if we can’t make that work, (because we would have to be 1st off) can you recommend something close to O’Hare that has shower facilities? Public or private is ok.

7 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Off subject here, but you are definitely the guy who knows Chicagoland golf. My group hopefully are making our trip to Ireland the end of September. Some of us are going to play in Chicago a couple days before our flight to Dublin. We’re going to play Dubsdread and then hopefully Olympia Fields the Tuesday morning before our flight. But if we can’t make that work, (because we would have to be 1st off) can you recommend something close to O’Hare that has shower facilities? Public or private is ok.

Unfortunately I can't help you with the shower facilities question. I'd recommend playing The Preserve, but not sure if they have a locker room. Maple Meadows is the sister course adjacent to The Preserve. They might have a locker room. 

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Unfortunately I can't help you with the shower facilities question. I'd recommend playing The Preserve, but not sure if they have a locker room. Maple Meadows is the sister course adjacent to The Preserve. They might have a locker room. 

Thanks