Tips on feeling slope with aimpoint

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Digital level online or big box hardware.  About $30.

I tried this and my putter head definitely leans slightly toward the low side . I hold the grip close to my belt buckle and the head close to the putting surface. Today was the best day I have had est

'Feeling' subtle slope through your feet requires a little rewiring of your body's natural tendency to adjust and help you stay upright. So first, try to relax your body as much as possible and focus

'Feeling' subtle slope through your feet requires a little rewiring of your body's natural tendency to adjust and help you stay upright. So first, try to relax your body as much as possible and focus on just feeling. 

If you still struggle, look around the edges of the green where the differences in grasses and such make it easier to pick up subtle slopes or at least give you a general idea of how the slope might be going. Remember that greens are designed to drain efficiently so there are always high and low areas to identify. 

Finally, if you can't feel much slope at all then you probably have a pretty flat/straight putt. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, precision28 said:

Any tips on how to better feel the slope I have been working about a week and checking with a phone app. I do ok on some and way off on others. I did a search but most post were several years ago. I feel my fingers are good once I get the slope just need to get better at feeling the slope 

thanks

The way I was shown to mark out slopes with 1, 2, 3, 4% grades in a close area. Go to the 1% then to 3% then 2% to 4% moving from one to the other real quick will help you identify the differences. Just going from a 0.5% to 1% is going to be hard to tell much difference. Once you do this a few times then go around to different spots and practice just reading the percent. 

There is no real secret just takes practice. 

• Like 1

TM Sim Ventus Blue Velocore 6x
Ping G410 plus 3 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno MP20 Nippon Modus 120
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM6 52,56 SM7 60
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/940075-davids-bag-and-golf-room/"]WITB Link[/url]

1 hour ago, sethdavidsdad said:

The way I was shown to mark out slopes with 1, 2, 3, 4% grades in a close area. Go to the 1% then to 3% then 2% to 4% moving from one to the other real quick will help you identify the differences. Just going from a 0.5% to 1% is going to be hard to tell much difference. Once you do this a few times then go around to different spots and practice just reading the percent. 

There is no real secret just takes practice. 

I did this at the course seemed to help hopefully the more I practice it will start to get a feel biggest problem I am having is I will read several that I get the feel then have one that I feel is a 1 and it will be a 4

1 minute ago, precision28 said:

I did this at the course seemed to help hopefully the more I practice it will start to get a feel biggest problem I am having is I will read several that I get the feel then have one that I feel is a 1 and it will be a 4

Difference between 1 and 4 is really noticeable. I might get a digital level from a hardware store. I would think your phone may not be giving you good readings. 

TM Sim Ventus Blue Velocore 6x
Ping G410 plus 3 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno MP20 Nippon Modus 120
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM6 52,56 SM7 60
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/940075-davids-bag-and-golf-room/"]WITB Link[/url]

When trouble reading, widen you legs a bit more.

Callaway Epic Max 9* Hzrdus Smoke iM10
Callaway Epic Speed 16.5* 4W Hzrdus Smoke iM10
Cobra KING F9 Hybrid 21* Fujikura Atmos Red 7 TS
Cobra KING F9 Hybrid 24* Fujikura Atmos Red 7 TS
Cobra KING Forged Tec 6-PW $-Taper Lite
Cleveland CBX2 48* KBS C-Taper
Cleveland CBX2 54* KBS C-Taper
TaylorMade MGS TW Edition 60* KBS C-Taper
Odyssey Rossie Stroke Lab
TaylorMade TP5 ball

I have a trick that helps me quite a bit. The Aimpoint concept has helped me tremendously since I started employing it about two years ago. But I do not, ever, use the finger system. Just the additional help I get in reading slope with my feet, so take that for what it's worth.

While I am feeling the ground with my feet, I simultaneously hold my putter grip in both hands and suspend it from my sternum and let it drop straight down on its own -- again, while I'm feeling the ground with my feet. Try that a few times, first on some large breakers, uphill, downhill, sidehill, etc. Then try it on some more subtle breaks. To me, it was a gamechanger for reading putts -- especially on unfamiliar greens.

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

43 minutes ago, Obee said:

I have a trick that helps me quite a bit. The Aimpoint concept has helped me tremendously since I started employing it about two years ago. But I do not, ever, use the finger system. Just the additional help I get in reading slope with my feet, so take that for what it's worth.

While I am feeling the ground with my feet, I simultaneously hold my putter grip in both hands and suspend it from my sternum and let it drop straight down on its own -- again, while I'm feeling the ground with my feet. Try that a few times, first on some large breakers, uphill, downhill, sidehill, etc. Then try it on some more subtle breaks. To me, it was a gamechanger for reading putts -- especially on unfamiliar greens.

So are you looking at which way the putter hangs to identify break?

On 11/3/2020 at 8:04 AM, acekun said:

So are you looking at which way the putter hangs to identify break?

Yes. More feeling it, really, but yes.

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

On 11/3/2020 at 10:21 AM, Obee said:

I tried this and my putter head definitely leans slightly toward the low side . I hold the grip close to my belt buckle and the head close to the putting surface. Today was the best day I have had estimating slope.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

I LOVE the knee method

I practice on a homemade slope board and I measure where my knee "pops" out to, using my shoelace holes as a reference. 

There was a great post on this site of someone who uses this method but I can't seem to find it. I'll keep looking and post it if I come across it

Titleist TSI3 - 8* - Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Fujikura Motore F1 8X
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Taylormade 790 3 iron - Tensei White 100TX
Srixon 745 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 - SST Pure
Ping Glide 3.0 - 50SS - TI X100

Taylormade MG2 TW - 56 & 60 - TI S400
Putter - Who the He** knows

9 hours ago, Divot License said:

@osubuckeyes691 I believe the post you want is within this thread

Yes!

• Like 1

Titleist TSI3 - 8* - Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Fujikura Motore F1 8X
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Taylormade 790 3 iron - Tensei White 100TX
Srixon 745 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 - SST Pure
Ping Glide 3.0 - 50SS - TI X100

Taylormade MG2 TW - 56 & 60 - TI S400
Putter - Who the He** knows

I struggled with feeling slope after my first aimpoint group lesson using the normal method until an aimpoint instructor had me trying feeling the slope straddling the ball from the low side of the target line during a refresher course; pressing into the slope and then determining break that way. That stepchanged my reading of slope and it is so easy now. I tried the normal method and plumb-bob and both were inconsistent. Standing into the slope from the lower side made it so much easier for me.

Edited by dcl5dcl5

I like the method quite a bit, as my eyes fool me frequently.  I did the full 1/2 day course about 12 years ago, before express was developed.  It takes quite a bit of practice to get good at feeling % grade.  Using the digital level, with % slope readout is important.  It's also important to feel the slope with your eyes closed and knees slightly bent, shoulder width apart, and only do this for about 3-5 seconds, when using the express method.  Lingering in this position diminishes the initial feel you get.  Since I went through the original training, I combine that with "express" to get the read, so time permitting, I'll still look for the local highs and lows around the hole, walk the semi-circle to find the zero-line, which confirms the direction of the break, then do the "straddle the ball perpendicular to the target line" to feel the % side slope on the target line.  I find that it's important to also get a visual read on the intended line of the putt, as often there are extremely subtle mounds or hollows along the line that you can't feel with your feet (since it's on the putting line).

Edited by hoganfan924
clarification
  • Like 1