Fairway wood off the turf

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you have struggled in past with 3W + 5W setup, consider trying a 4W + 7W setup. I've been using this in some form for nine years. A little extra loft plus a shorter shaft really helps with launch a

G400 five and seven woods ... if you can find   or G425 end of Jan   still amazing ... G25 4 & 7 woods

There have been numerous threads on this topic over the years. If someone is struggling to hit 3 wood off the deck, it's usually more of a swing issue than a club design issue.    Can't disc

On 11/4/2020 at 6:45 AM, launcher said:

If someone is struggling to hit 3 wood off the deck, it's usually more of a swing issue than a club design issue. 

By swing issue, do you mean a swing flaw or a swing characteristic?

Old news: The average golfer hits the 4W more reliably - and sometimes longer - than 3W. Often this is a 3W launch problem caused by insufficient clubhead speed for the lower loft. Or, it can be how a person comes into the ball. These involve swing characteristics.

A few years ago the Tour Edge rep at a demo day showed us the new Exotics fairways. He had those willing golfers hit both the 3W and the 4W. Most of us hit the 4W longer. This even included a couple of long hitters (driver carry 270 +) ... again, how a person comes into the ball.  

• Like 2

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

I purchased at beginning of year a Callaway Mavrik 4 wood for similar reasoning.  I had no issues hitting my previous 3 wood off tee but struggled with consistency off fairway.  Went with 4W to give me that little bit more forgiveness and combined with the hot face on the Mavrik, it has been a stellar performance.  Yesterday 230 out, wind behind me, straight as an arrow, pin high ending 6’ from the pin.  Unfortunately missed my eagle putt 😢.  For mr the 4W has been a winner both off tee and fairway.

I've never been a good fairway wood guy until I tried a Mavrik on a whim. WOW

Hot and easy to hit. I have no idea why.

I did remove that junk riptide shaft and put in an ATMOS TS blue, though.

Mavrik + ATMOS TS Black / Mavrik 4W + ATMOS TS Blue / Mavrik Pro 3H + Pro 2.0 / XForged UT + ATMOS TS Black  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon Las Vegas + SuperStroke Cord 2.0

Pick up a 16 or 17 degree hybrid. Something with a bit wider profile, that almost mimics a mini fairway wood. Srixon H85 is cheap right now. Callaway Super Hybrid is a phenomenal club. I'm gaming a 17* Adams Super XTD. Not giving up much distance from the deck, and is so much easier to hit. 

PING G410+ 9* TPO 60S

Adams XTD 17* Fubuki 

Callaway Apex 20* AD DI 85s

Callaway Apex 23* OBAN Kiyoshi Purple

5-6 Srixon Z585 Modus 120S

7-PW Srixon Z785 Modus 120S

50 Cleveland RTX 4

56 and 60, TM Hi Toe

EVNROLL ER3

On 11/4/2020 at 7:31 PM, SwingMan said:

Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 Fairways - great ball speed, shallow and innovative face. rails on bottom. 

Really like the ribbon sole Tour Edge uses.  I haven't picked up one of their sticks because I've been having success with a King LTD, which I find easier to weight up so I could play it at 42".  (Not a fan of modern wood lengths)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

20 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

By swing issue, do you mean a swing flaw or a swing characteristic?

Old news: The average golfer hits the 4W more reliably - and sometimes longer - than 3W. Often this is a 3W launch problem caused by insufficient clubhead speed for the lower loft. Or, it can be how a person comes into the ball. These involve swing characteristics.

A few years ago the Tour Edge rep at a demo day showed us the new Exotics fairways. He had those willing golfers hit both the 3W and the 4W. Most of us hit the 4W longer. This even included a couple of long hitters (driver carry 270 +) ... again, how a person comes into the ball.  

Well, I suppose it's a flawed swing characteristic. As for 4 wood being a better choice, I might agree with that for certain players. I've also seen "certain" players hit a 5 wood longer than their drivers. Once again, I would contend that it boils down to a swing issue, and to some degree confidence. 

Just because you hit your wedge consistently better than your 3 iron, does that mean you shouldn't carry a 3 iron, and just hit a wedge all day? 

Nothing wrong with playing what you feel comfortable with. Totally depends on the individual. 

Titleist TS3 9.5d. 

Titleist 917f3 13.5d. 

Titleist 818h2 17d. 

WIlson Staff C300 forged 4-pw

Srixon U-85 20d. 

Scratch 8620 53d. 

Odyssey white hot pro

1 hour ago, launcher said:

I've also seen "certain" players hit a 5 wood longer than their drivers. Once again, I would contend that it boils down to a swing issue, and to some degree confidence.  ...

One of these people is my wife. She stands 4-foot-9, and ended up with a fitted set containing a 12* driver. From a tee, she hits a 5W about 20 yards longer than her driver.

Once COVID passes, she likely will get fitted for a 16* Wishon driver with a lighter shaft.

In general, 3W vs. 4W boils down to which does better in a side-by-side test. My clubsmith and lesson pro are the same person. He carries his driver about 290 yards.

That said, his sole fairway wood is a 5W with a 4W-length shaft. This combo only flies 15 yards short of a good 3W shot, but is much easier to hit.

Also, a player's strategy must come into play. For me, I do better in overall performance with a 4W + 7W than a 3W + 5W.

And, you still haven't decided which aspect of swing issue worries you so much about non-3W users: Flaw or characteristic?

And, hopefully you don't think 3W users are superior to other golfers...

Edited by ChipNRun

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

On 11/16/2020 at 9:30 PM, ChipNRun said:

One of these people is my wife. She stands 4-foot-9, and ended up with a fitted set containing a 12* driver. From a tee, she hits a 5W about 20 yards longer than her driver.

Once COVID passes, she likely will get fitted for a 16* Wishon driver with a lighter shaft.

In general, 3W vs. 4W boils down to which does better in a side-by-side test. My clubsmith and lesson pro are the same person. He carries his driver about 290 yards.

That said, his sole fairway wood is a 5W with a 4W-length shaft. This combo only flies 15 yards short of a good 3W shot, but is much easier to hit.

Also, a player's strategy must come into play. For me, I do better in overall performance with a 4W + 7W than a 3W + 5W.

And, you still haven't decided which aspect of swing issue worries you so much about non-3W users: Flaw or characteristic?

And, hopefully you don't think 3W users are superior to other golfers...

As for your wife, I would say your/her plan is a good one. Sounds like she simply needs a driver with more loft and launch. 

Your lesson pro generates a ton of SS. Therefore, he could easily get by without a 3 wood. His needs aren't really comparable to the average player with a moderate or less SS. 

Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to debate whether a 4/5 wood is easier to hit than a 3 wood. For most it is, just that if someone struggles with 3 wood off the deck, it's more a swing issue than difficulty. If someone feels a 5 wood is a better alternative and they're happy with the results they're getting, then who am I to dispute and say that he shouldn't be doing that. 

Titleist TS3 9.5d. 

Titleist 917f3 13.5d. 

Titleist 818h2 17d. 

WIlson Staff C300 forged 4-pw

Srixon U-85 20d. 

Scratch 8620 53d. 

Odyssey white hot pro

On 11/4/2020 at 7:51 PM, Fairway14 said:

Current fairway woods have over sized heads and long shafts, so they are best suited to playing from tee boxes.

For fairway lies 16 to 22* hybrid clubs are the "new fairway woods".

Many people find fairways better than hybrids.  DJ just won the Masters with a 7 wood in his bag. Tiger carries a 3 and 5, as do many of the pros. Personally I have wasted a lot of money over the years trying to make a hybrid work, but always go back to “woods”

• Like 1

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

My 2016 M2 5 wood (18*) kicked my RBZ2 15* out of the bag which had been my go-to club for years. The M2 is a monster from any lie and stops dead on greens. I also carry on occasion a Diablo Octane Tour (13*) which will go around 270 off the deck and goes mostly straight. Most of the time the M2 is sufficient though and I'll also carry a 19* 816 H2.

On 11/16/2020 at 7:46 AM, JimmyD said:

I purchased at beginning of year a Callaway Mavrik 4 wood for similar reasoning.  I had no issues hitting my previous 3 wood off tee but struggled with consistency off fairway.  Went with 4W to give me that little bit more forgiveness and combined with the hot face on the Mavrik, it has been a stellar performance.  Yesterday 230 out, wind behind me, straight as an arrow, pin high ending 6’ from the pin.  Unfortunately missed my eagle putt 😢.  For mr the 4W has been a winner both off tee and fairway.

+1 for the Mavrik 4W...great, versatile club and oh-so-easy to hit.

Callaway Mavrik SZ/Mavrik 10.5 degree with VA Composites Nemesys 55R/VA Composites 54R

Callaway Mavrik SZ/Mavrik 16.5 degree with VA Composites Nemesys 65R/VA Composites 64R

Callaway Mavrik Pro 20 degree/Ping G410 19 degree with GD Tour AD HY 75R/VA Composites Raijin 84R

Ping I210 (4-UW/4-PW; red dot) with Aerotech Steelfiber I95 R/Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105R

Ping Glide Forged wedges (54/58; orange dot)/Ping Glide 3.0 (50/54/58; orange dot) with Aerotech Steelfiber I95 R/NS Pro Modus 3 105R

Piretti Savona Elite Black Special Edition 34"/Piretti Teramo Classic 34"

Srixon Z Star

On 11/18/2020 at 5:32 AM, dlygrisse said:

Many people find fairways better than hybrids.  DJ just won the Masters with a 7 wood in his bag. Tiger carries a 3 and 5, as do many of the pros. Personally I have wasted a lot of money over the years trying to make a hybrid work, but always go back to “woods”

I'm the opposite.  I find hybrids much easier to hit off the turf compared to a fairway metal.  The 16* degree 2 HB I have in my bag launches high, lands soft and carries 245 off the deck.  I rarely have to hit 3 metal from fairway into par 5's, and use my hybrid more often than not on very long par 5's. 

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4i w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/6/2020 at 11:14 AM, Drewhill44 said:

I have the Cobra F9 Tour fairways and love them. The rails really work well.  I have have no trouble hitting the woods off the deck.  The best I’ve hit.  

I can’t agree with this enough.  Like a fool, I bought in to the SIM nonsense, sold the F9, and have kicked myself multiple times from doing so.  I had to go back to my ‘16 M2 to get close to ease of use of the F9, and the M2 app any really close, but better than the SIM.  

Any 4W. Dropped my 3W and 5W for it and it’s got the distance of the 3W (or close to it) but control of the 5W with the short shaft than the 3W. Any shallow faced fairway like the TSi2 or G410 would be good imo 

Titleist TSi3 9° | Tensei AV Raw White 65S

TBD | Tensei AV Raw White 75S
Titleist 818H2 21º | Atmos HB TS Blue 8S
Callaway Apex CF19 5-PW | Modus 105S
Callaway MD5 50°W 54°S 58°X | KBS $-Taper 120S

TBD
Titleist ProV1x

Struggled with 3w off the turf so went to a local top fitter, outdoors, not hitting into a net and screen. Hit Titleist, TM, Cobra, Srixon and Ping G410. My launch was better with the G410 5 wood and was way more consistent and longer than the 3 wood.  

I like the smaller head of the 5 wood so he fitted me with a G410 5 wood 17.5 degree head in a 3wood length shaft.  Set the loft -1.5 degrees to 16 so in effect have a 4 wood. We did the same with the 7 wood and placed a 5 wood shaft in it. 

Go to a good fitter that has a large selection of brands and shafts. It has saved me lots of money as I was always on the quest for a new 3 wood. 

Ping G410 Plus Tensei CK Orange 
Ping G410 5 wood  w 3wood ALTA CB 65
Ping G410 7 wood  w 5wood ALTA CB 65
Ping G410 4 Crossover ALTA CB70
Ping G400 5 Crossover ALTA CB70
Ping I500 6-W Irons  NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 
Ping Glide 3.0 50.12 NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105
Vokey Wedgeworks 54.16 K Grind DG S300
Vokey SM8 60.08 M Grind DG S200

PXG One & Done Putter