Phil and Bryson Driver Length

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have no idea how to answer your questions. FIGJAMS’s answer is that he wants to carry bunkers off the tee. The scientist without a college degree could probably scientifically buzz word us through a

Playing length.  They wouldn't use clubs that would get them DQ'd.  I know which one will hit it straighter with a club that long (ain't gonna be Phil)

I have a Krank driver with a long drive specific shaft at 48 inches. It is heavier then a standard length driver, and I'm not sure that can be helped.  Shafts that make the club play at the legal limi

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

Playing length.  They wouldn't use clubs that would get them DQ'd.  I know which one will hit it straighter with a club that long (ain't gonna be Phil)

Thanks, I more or less knew that.  Several reports here and elsewhere state Bryson will play a driver with 48 inch shaft, Phil is playing a 47 1/2 inch shaft, etc.

Anyone know what head weight these are at? 

In reading it seems that you lose some distance when driver head weight goes below 190g all other things being equal. 

For instance, my Mavrik is 199g with a 12g weight and with my current GD Tour AD-TP 6 at 44.75" and GP MCC+4 grip is at D6 swingweight. 

If I went 47.75" (for easy math) I would be adding 3" or 18 sw points up to F4 assuming I kept the headweight the same, same shaft, same grip.

I could drop 10g from the headweight by swapping to a 2g weight, dropping sw by 5 points down to E9. 

Lighter shaft in the 50ish gram range could pick up another point or so to E8.

Are these guys just using drivers that have very heavy swingweights?  Seems like it would feel like a sledgehammer with not a lot of mass in the head.

Would also need to go up in flex I imagine.

Just curious as I don't intend to play anything that long but wouldn't mind toying with a 46" driver or so as I could get that to a reasonable swingweight while maintaining a reasonable headweight.

58 minutes ago, Radeon962 said:

In reading it seems that you lose some distance when driver head weight goes below 190g all other things being equal. 

For instance, my Mavrik is 199g with a 12g weight and with my current GD Tour AD-TP 6 at 44.75" and GP MCC+4 grip is at D6 swingweight. 

If I went 47.75" (for easy math) I would be adding 3" or 18 sw points up to F4 assuming I kept the headweight the same, same shaft, same grip.

I could drop 10g from the headweight by swapping to a 2g weight, dropping sw by 5 points down to E9. 

Are these guys just using drivers that have very heavy swingweights?  Seems like it would feel like a sledgehammer with not a lot of mass in the head.

Just curious as I don't intend to play anything that long but wouldn't mind toying with a 46" driver or so as I could get that to a reasonable swingweight while maintaining a reasonable headweight.

I have no idea how to answer your questions. FIGJAMS’s answer is that he wants to carry bunkers off the tee. The scientist without a college degree could probably scientifically buzz word us through an answer. They both have access to great club builders to get weight dialed in. Augusta is a second shot course. Bryson’s wedge game is improved, we will see soon. Phil switched to game improvement irons throughout the bag. Will be surprised is he can control distance into greens with the new short irons. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSi3 9.25*  HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5tx 
Titleist TSi3 5W 18* Tensei AV Raw White- x
Srixon Z 745 (4-pw) KBS tour-x
Mizuno T20 51* 54* 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
SC Studio Design no. 2
Pro V1

1 hour ago, Radeon962 said:

I have a Krank driver with a long drive specific shaft at 48 inches. It is heavier then a standard length driver, and I'm not sure that can be helped.  Shafts that make the club play at the legal limit of 48 inches have to be incredibly stiff, and that usually means they are heavier to some extent. 

I don't know what could be done with changing head weight in that equation.  I'm sure one of the long drive lab guys will find their way into this thread and educate us. 

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 1

You can add weight grip side to lower swingweight as well

Ping G400 Max Fuji Ventus Red 6x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x 

Cally Apex '16 3h 20* KK Silver 80x

Cally Apex '16 4h 23* KK Silver 80x

Srixon ZX7 5i  AD DI di 95x 

Srixon ZX7 6 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD M 56* & 60*, SM2 64.07

Scotty GoLo 7

17 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

I have a Krank driver with a long drive specific shaft at 48 inches. It is heavier then a standard length driver, and I'm not sure that can be helped.  Shafts that make the club play at the legal limit of 48 inches have to be incredibly stiff, and that usually means they are heavier to some extent. 

I don't know what could be done with changing head weight in that equation.  I'm sure one of the long drive lab guys will find their way into this thread and educate us. 

Kyle Berkshire uses a regular flex shaft that is around 47 inches in his competition setup. The shaft is effectively a senior flex shaft:

• Thanks 1

Bryson Grips also really big ... So his swing weights are always low

Driver: Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5* ; Accura MV85x PINK 1 of 1

3 wood: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72X

Hybrid: PXG Gen1 19* (set 18*) Hzardus Handcrafted Black 100x (Not getting alot of use)

Irons: PXG Gen1 0311 4-7 iron; Aldila RIP Phenom Hybrid 100 Tour X (Lofts; 17.5*, 21*, 25*, 29*)

NIKE Vapor Pro Combo 6, 8, 9, PW; Aldila VS Proto 100x (Lofts; 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*)

Wedges: Scratch 53* (bent 51*); TT DG S300 , Callaway MD4 Raw 54*, 58*; TT DG S300

Custom Wedge 63* (made buddy made it); KBS Tour Stiff

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design MB #5; 35 inches; Super Stroke GP Tour

8 hours ago, caseFSU said:

Kyle Berkshire uses a regular flex shaft that is around 47 inches in his competition setup. The shaft is effectively a senior flex shaft:

Wow. That is surprising. Seems like a shaft that soft would give him too much spin to hit those long drive distances. Apparently that’s not the case. I wonder if the other LD guys use softer lighter shafts as well. 

Thanks for posting that - very interesting. 

Edited by Dr. Block
6 hours ago, Santiago Golf said:

Bryson Grips also really big ... So his swing weights are always low

Wrong, his grips are now 51grams or so. They are a new model

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

1 hour ago, Dr. Block said:

Wow. That is surprising. Seems like a shaft that soft would give him too much spin to hit those long drive distances. Apparently that’s not the case. I wonder if the other LD guys use softer lighter shafts as well. 

Thanks for posting that - very interesting. 

Berkshire said it’s not super common. he is an elite level guy, I think they spin it a decent amount (2000 or more even) but piercing flight. Spin keeps it flying

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

On 11/5/2020 at 3:09 PM, Steele47 said:

I could be mistaken but I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that Nicklaus had a regular flex shaft in his driver during the 70s.

I know he played a softer shaft in his longer irons so they would spin more

Driver: Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5* ; Accura MV85x PINK 1 of 1

3 wood: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72X

Hybrid: PXG Gen1 19* (set 18*) Hzardus Handcrafted Black 100x (Not getting alot of use)

Irons: PXG Gen1 0311 4-7 iron; Aldila RIP Phenom Hybrid 100 Tour X (Lofts; 17.5*, 21*, 25*, 29*)

NIKE Vapor Pro Combo 6, 8, 9, PW; Aldila VS Proto 100x (Lofts; 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*)

Wedges: Scratch 53* (bent 51*); TT DG S300 , Callaway MD4 Raw 54*, 58*; TT DG S300

Custom Wedge 63* (made buddy made it); KBS Tour Stiff

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design MB #5; 35 inches; Super Stroke GP Tour

.0002678 % fw hit between the 2 of them 

AGNC more tree trouble than Us Open possibly?

they had better drop a wedge for 

image.jpeg.b4d2b51753b339e9f426ac7f14324b96.jpeg

Driver 9* Titleist Tsi3 BLK 6x tipped 1”  45.5” C2 3w Tsi3 15* B1 Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) lie angle 620mb std specs + .25 to .5” Vokey Wedge Works Sm8 D grind 54(@53*) bounce 12* | custom grind leading edge relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63* Sm8 K grind 58(@59*) low bounce 6* | custom grind heel relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63 | Bettinardi BB8 tri sole - 70* Lie angle 2* of loft Super Stroke GT 1.0
All woods & 2i hot melted, GP Tour Velvet . 580 Ping Hoofer 

1 hour ago, 76mpg said:

I remember 2006 when Phil used two FT3s at Augusta. IIRC he had a long one set up for a draw and a normal length for a fade. Gotta love Phil's willingness to tinker!

It's my opinion that his willingness to tinker has turned into a weird obsession that's causing him to magnify the weaknesses in his game. If he still had that smooth Butch era swing going right now he'd be long enough sneak up a leaderboard or two with all the other superlative area's of his game going strong.  He is calf activated bombing his way out of even being able to make a cut on the regular tour.  He needs to stop trying to follow the Bryson path.  He does not have the swing fundamentals that Bryson has created. 

And this is coming from a sincere Phil Mickelson fan.  

Sorry, not trying to quibble with what you said or instigate some soft of debate. I just read your post and thought it could be a good jump-off point for this thought that's been kicking around in my head that last couple of months. 

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 1

Seems Bryson has decided NOT to use the long  driver this week after all. The distance gains were not realized in the last few weeks for him.  This per Todd Lewis on Live from the Masters.

WITB
Titleist TSi3 9* PX Riptide CB 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* 54* 58* DG S300

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

1 hour ago, Dr. Block said:

It's my opinion that his willingness to tinker has turned into a weird obsession that's causing him to magnify the weaknesses in his game. If he still had that smooth Butch era swing going right now he'd be long enough sneak up a leaderboard or two with all the other superlative area's of his game going strong.  He is calf activated bombing his way out of even being able to make a cut on the regular tour.  He needs to stop trying to follow the Bryson path.  He does not have the swing fundamentals that Bryson has created. 

And this is coming from a sincere Phil Mickelson fan.  

Sorry, not trying to quibble with what you said or instigate some soft of debate. I just read your post and thought it could be a good jump-off point for this thought that's been kicking around in my head that last couple of months. 

I dont take your post as looking for a debate, everything you say is correct. My point above was that Phil has been creative with his equipment approach to things (right or wrong) during his career even going quite a ways back. At this point I think he is past his prime and just reaching for something while also, of course for Phil, garnering some attention as well.

• Like 1
On 11/5/2020 at 6:09 PM, Steele47 said:

I could be mistaken but I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that Nicklaus had a regular flex shaft in his driver during the 70s.

those towering drives and long irons weren't due to his swing only. noodle shafts..noodle

voice

Berkshire story is quite something.. have to say looking back i have hit some of the longest drivers with a regular flex and longer length fujikura pro95

Edited by Man_O_War

Ping G410 LST 9* Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI
Cobra LTD PRO / Graffaloy Blue
Cobra Ltd 4-5  16 Kaili 80
Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Nike VaporProCombo 4-AW DG XP S300/Original Nike Blades 3-PW s300
Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

14 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Seems Bryson has decided NOT to use the long  driver this week after all. The distance gains were not realized in the last few weeks for him.  This per Todd Lewis on Live from the Masters.

Chairman to BAD “we don’t use things like that here son” jk 

Driver 9* Titleist Tsi3 BLK 6x tipped 1”  45.5” C2 3w Tsi3 15* B1 Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) lie angle 620mb std specs + .25 to .5” Vokey Wedge Works Sm8 D grind 54(@53*) bounce 12* | custom grind leading edge relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63* Sm8 K grind 58(@59*) low bounce 6* | custom grind heel relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63 | Bettinardi BB8 tri sole - 70* Lie angle 2* of loft Super Stroke GT 1.0
All woods & 2i hot melted, GP Tour Velvet . 580 Ping Hoofer