Options to replace both my 3w and 5w with just a 4 wood (or delofted 5w)

Current gaming a Callaway XR 16 3 wood and Steelhead XR 5 wood but when swinging well the 3w maxes out around 235-240 yds and the 5w flies pretty much the same - between 225-235 yds...both clubs are doing the same job. I thought replacing them with something like a 17* 4w that delivers good distance off the tee when needed but also effective from the fairway/light rough would give me a more efficient bag and free up a club.

Have a line on barely used 17* Rogue 4w, a Epic Flash 5w (delofted to 17*), a Ping g400 5w (delofted to 17*), or a Ping g410 5w (delofted to 17*)...buying online so can't test them but leaning toward a Callaway since happy with my older ones. That said have hit a Ping g 3w a fair bit and liked it too - not as long as the Callaway woods but consistent.

Driver swing speed 93-95 mph...smooth deliberate swing. Anyone hitting any of the above clubs as their only fairway wood and can provide any thoughts/opinions (or is there any other 4w-like club i should be considering)?

Edited by wcdixon

Callaway Rogue 9.0 - Aldila Synergy 50 reg

Callaway Steelhead XR 3W 15*

Callaway Steelhead XR 5W 18* - Tensei CK Blue 55 reg 

Cobra King F6 3-4 hybrid 20.5* - Matrix Red Tie HQ4 70 reg OR Taylormade GAPR Hi 4 hybrid 21* KBS 70 reg

Callaway Rogue Pro 5i-AW - UST Recoil ES 760 f3

Cleveland RTX-4 wedge 54* - Rotex 90 reg

Cleveland Smart Sole 3 S 58* - Cleveland graphite reg

Taylormade Spider mini 34"

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Strengthen the loft of a 5W.

I went with Cobra F9 3 wood because the heads are smaller than many competitors’ 3 woods. Adjusted loft to 16.5 loft to make it a 4 wood and it’s great. Fantastic fairway metals. I always opt for lowe

I have 917 D2 4 wood and it is one of the best fairway woods I have tried. Sweet as a nut.

I had a rogue 4 wood. I replaced it with the epic flash 5w turned to 17* and I like he slightly smaller head and 5w length shaft better. It’s rare that I need to but it’s easier to hit off the turf than the rogue was. Works just fine off the tee too. 

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue 9* @ 10* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75

Callaway Epic Flash 5W [email protected] 17* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75

Callaway Rogue 4H 21* Project X EvenFlow Black 85

Callaway Mavrik Max 6-7i KBS Max 90

Callaway Mavrik Pro 8-AW True Temper Elevate 105

Tommy Armour GXT 52* Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM7 58* D Dynamic Gold S200

Odyssey O-Works Red Jailbird Mini S

17 minutes ago, Dunny51 said:

What is your shot shape? And miss? Delofting the 5w should open the club face and make it more fade bias. Just something to think about. 

Good point. Shot shape generally pretty straight or slight fade...miss usually big fade (vs a hook). Might be smart to test a delofted 5w first.

Cobra King F6 3-4 hybrid 20.5* - Matrix Red Tie HQ4 70 reg OR Taylormade GAPR Hi 4 hybrid 21* KBS 70 reg

1 hour ago, wcdixon said:

Good point. Shot shape generally pretty straight or slight fade...miss usually big fade (vs a hook). Might be smart to test a delofted 5w first.

So you want to open the face when you hit a fade and big miss is right?

SM 3.5 Bag:

Ping G410 9* Plus w/ Tensei Orange Pro 60 TX

TM Sim Ti 14* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ Evenflow T1100 S

Edel VL 4-PW w/ Rifle Flighted 6.5 SSx1

Edel 50/54/58 w/ Rifle 6.0

Piretti Potenza II 365g 34"

• wcdixon changed the title to Options to replace both my 3w and 5w with just a 4 wood (or delofted 5w)
8 hours ago, rkillian said:

I had a rogue 4 wood. I replaced it with the epic flash 5w turned to 17* and I like he slightly smaller head and 5w length shaft better. It’s rare that I need to but it’s easier to hit off the turf than the rogue was. Works just fine off the tee too. 

Thanks for this...exactly what i wanted to hear. Am tempted by the Rogue 4w as i like my Rogue driver so much...but hit my current 5w pretty good so the Epic Flash 5w dialed down to 17* likely the better choice.

• Like 1

I went with Cobra F9 3 wood because the heads are smaller than many competitors’ 3 woods. Adjusted loft to 16.5 loft to make it a 4 wood and it’s great. Fantastic fairway metals. I always opt for lower base loft and theh add loft because I prefer to play a draw with woods. My natural tendency is to aim down the right/middle side and draw it for best distance. Could also get the 5 wood and deloft instead. 

• Like 3

Just curious, but do you have a plan for putting a different club into the bag? I've toyed around with splitting the difference between a 3W and 5W but then for me it comes down to "what's the point?". I don't need another hybrid. I don't need another wedge. Unless you have a burning desire to add another wedge I wouldn't want to give up an option at the top of the bag. More specifically, I wouldn't want to give up that (max) 240 yard shot. Even if you rarely use it.

To have good yardage gapping I'd want to keep the 3W and something in the 235-240 range.

Then something in the 225 yard range. If that's a 5W lofted up 1-2 degrees, fine. Otherwise try a 7 wood. 

Then first hybrid 215.

Second hybrid 200-205.

9 minutes ago, RacineBoxer said:

Just curious, but do you have a plan for putting a different club into the bag? I've toyed around with splitting the difference between a 3W and 5W but then for me it comes down to "what's the point?". I don't need another hybrid. I don't need another wedge. Unless you have a burning desire to add another wedge I wouldn't want to give up an option at the top of the bag. More specifically, I wouldn't want to give up that (max) 240 yard shot. Even if you rarely use it.

To have good yardage gapping I'd want to keep the 3W and something in the 235-240 range.

Then something in the 225 yard range. If that's a 5W lofted up 1-2 degrees, fine. Otherwise try a 7 wood. 

Then first hybrid 215.

Second hybrid 200-205.

Great thoughts and suggestions...i appreciate it. Yes I have a plan otherwise you are right i wouldn't need to change anything. Want to keep my Cobra f6 19* hybrid and add a Taylormade GAPR Mid hybrid at 20* to give me a long iron/low stinger shot option. And in a perfect world this new 4 wood or delofted 5w i'd be able to muscle out to 245 yds or choke down and swing easier and hit that 225 yd target - a 2 for 1 haha...more like wishful thinking i bet.

54 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

I went with Cobra F9 3 wood because the heads are smaller than many competitors’ 3 woods. Adjusted loft to 16.5 loft to make it a 4 wood and it’s great. Fantastic fairway metals. I always opt for lower base loft and theh add loft because I prefer to play a draw with woods. My natural tendency is to aim down the right/middle side and draw it for best distance. Could also get the 5 wood and deloft instead. 

Full disclosure - I tried the Cobra F8 3 wood last fall and liked how it felt and swung and the smaller head but when lofted up to 16* I kept pulling/hooking it. Now that may just be my swing or the shaft didn't agree with me, but I could never get comfortable/confident with it so switched to the Callaway XR's.

When I play with just one fairway wood, I loft-down my Cobra F8+ 4-5 wood to 16.5*.  I like the slightly shorter length and the rails on the bottom of the 4-5 are more aggressive than the 3-4 wood for better performance from the rough/etc.  For comparison, when I play with two fairways, I have my 3-4 set at 14.5* and my 4-5 set at 19*.

I don't really find much difference in draw/fade tendencies in either loft arrangement.

• Like 2

Cobra F9 (9)

Cobra F8+ (14.5, 19)

Cobra Forged Tour (4-PW)

Cobra King Black (50, 54, 58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Black

2 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Posted this in another topic, went with the same option. Been very happy with this. Shorter length of the 5 wood at a 4 wood loft has worked very well for me

I have done this many years now.  I have an Epic Flash 5 wood, turned to -1, with shaft length of a 3 wood.  Easier to hit and an open face.  It works perfect for me.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash 9 degree with Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood (-1) with Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
Callaway Epic 3 and 4 hybrid with Graphite Design AD-DI 85S
Mizuno MP 18 MMC 5-PW with KBS C-taper Lite X-flex, hard-stepped 1x
Edel 51, 56, 60 wedges
Scotty Cameron NP2
Ball: Titleist ProV1x

I go driver, 4w, 4h and it's a really good setup for my game. The Cobra 4w is solid, long, and is easy to hit with the baffler rails.

You can likely find a used Cobra 4w (F8 or F9) for dirt cheap. They don't hold their value like the other major brands, but perform just as well, if not better in some cases.

Edit: of course I missed your follow-up post saying you tried the Cobra...oops. Might be worth while finding a different shaft with it. The AD for me feels so solid.

Edited by thaar
  • Like 1

Cobra F8+ 9.5* - Project X EvenFlow 65x
Cobra F8 3/4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra Utility 19.5* - Tensei Blue 80s
Cobra 3/4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Cobra King Wedges 50/54/58 versatile - AMT S400
Edel E-1

UPDATE: So much for making and sticking to a gameplan haha. Surprised to see a like-new demo Ping g410 5w (that i'll loft down to 17*) at a great price and scooped it up. I used to play a Ping g 3w and hit it pretty well so am confident i'll be able to work with the g410. Only other consideration is distance loss as i've always hit the Callaway fairways about 10 yds further than the Ping so am still keeping an eye out for a used good condition Epic Flash 5w and will purchase that too when i find it (Black Friday?) then try them both out in the spring and pick one.

Best laid plans i know lol...but still happy with decision to go with one 17* fairway wood instead of a 3w and 5w.

• Like 1

Just keep the 5XR that you know you can rely on now.Simple.

• Like 1

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

I'm a horrible fairway wood player, much prefer hybrids to them.

But lately I've been using a Ping g400 5 wood set to the small - with a stock stiff shaft. One of the easiest fairway woods I've tried.  Good off the tee and with a good lie I'll use it off the fairway or even out of the rough on par 5's. Easily as long as my old g25 3 wood was and I hit it higher, which for me was a big plus. I think it would be a good one to try.

• Like 2

Cobra F8
Ping G400 17*
Ping G25 20 & 23 hybrid G30 26 hybrid
Ping i e1 6- uw
Ping Glide 3.0  54 & 60
Toulon Atlanta

OP, don't give up on the Rogue 4W you will find one on the cheap if you are patient 🙂 Part of it IMHO comes down to if you are turned off by the acoustics/design of the EF or not. I gamed the 3w for a year and dropped to the 4w this year to get a bit more elevation and confidence off the deck. I find the rogue a smidge more forgiving as a line then the EF, just a smidge. 

For me the 3W was a tee club as I just don't have that much need for it off the deck with the shaggy fairway lies that this mere mortal has on his pubs and once in a while semi-private courses. I have 10+mph SS on you and still think the 4w is the better all around club for my swing speed off the deck when I have 240 in on a par 5 and its a slightly down hill lie in the short stuff 🙂 

The rogue has been good to me. Despite good deals on the Mavrik on CPO, its staying. For now. Damn CPO store....

- b

• Like 1

Titleist 16.5 ts2 can be had for really cheap right now if your okay with used.  I really like mine and works well as my only fairway wood.  I’m really surprised more people don’t carry a 4 wood versus two fairway woods.  Let’s me have a hybrid, 4 iron, and 4 wedges...

one question is if you hit your 5 wood as far as your 3 wood why don’t you just drop the 3 wood and keep your 5 wood?

5 hours ago, jomatty said:

Titleist 16.5 ts2 can be had for really cheap right now if your okay with used.  I really like mine and works well as my only fairway wood.  I’m really surprised more people don’t carry a 4 wood versus two fairway woods.  Let’s me have a hybrid, 4 iron, and 4 wedges...

one question is if you hit your 5 wood as far as your 3 wood why don’t you just drop the 3 wood and keep your 5 wood?

I agree i also thought the adjustable 16.5* TS2 could do the trick however when i tried it out last year i hit it okay but tended to leave it hanging out to the right too often. And more importantly found the clubhead size too big to my eye for hitting off the fairway - prefer a more compact head.

As for why not lose the XR 3w and just keep the Steelhead XR 5w? My wife asked the same question haha. No good reason other than the fun of trying some new-to-me used but still shiny clubs in the never-ending quest for better longer more consistent lol. But i will definitely hang onto that 5w for a trusty backup.

I’ve went with a singular fairway wood. Cobra SZ 5 wood turned down to 17.5*. It’s a real nice fit betwixt my driver and hybrid. I pulled the Tensei AV shaft and tipped it a bit. It works great.

• Like 1

Cobra SZ Xtreme 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 S
Cobra SZ 5W 17.5* Tensei AV Blue S

Ping G410 22* Alta S
Mizuno 921 Forged 5-GW Modus 105 S
Titleist SM7 54 & 58*
TM Spider X DB 34”
ProV1

18 hours ago, wcdixon said:

I agree i also thought the adjustable 16.5* TS2 could do the trick however when i tried it out last year i hit it okay but tended to leave it hanging out to the right too often. And more importantly found the clubhead size too big to my eye for hitting off the fairway - prefer a more compact head.

As for why not lose the XR 3w and just keep the Steelhead XR 5w? My wife asked the same question haha. No good reason other than the fun of trying some new-to-me used but still shiny clubs in the never-ending quest for better longer more consistent lol. But i will definitely hang onto that 5w for a trusty backup.

As I asked that question I knew the answer!  I know my answer would be to find a new club that hopefully performs better but also it’s just the more fun option...doesn’t mean either one of us is right but I’m in the same boat 😂 

• Like 1

I've played Driver-4w-7w for a few years now, but until recently I've was hitting my woods so badly, I considered a change. I was particularly struggling off the fairway. Like you (OP), I prefer a compact head off the deck, so I was managing relatively OK with my 7w, but I pretty much gave up with my 4w off the deck. 

That got me to thinking I might as well get a 3w for the tee when I don't want to hit driver. Still pondering that, but I am getting my old swing back, and that means my 4w is good to go off the turf. 

Incidentally, I also prefer the delofted 5w idea instead of a lofted up 3w because of the smaller head of the 5w. 

Shallow faced fairways suit my eye so PING offerings always pique my interest, but the PING 410s haven't quite won me over. I'm considering an older model, but I also liked the Callaway Rogue (Epic was alright as well). I am still kicking myself for not buying a Rogue 3w that had a good shaft for me when I had the chance. It was about the only 3w I've managed to hit successfully off a mat. 

Just some food for thought.

• Like 1
On 11/8/2020 at 4:55 AM, bvanlieu said:

OP, don't give up on the Rogue 4W you will find one on the cheap if you are patient 🙂 Part of it IMHO comes down to if you are turned off by the acoustics/design of the EF or not. I gamed the 3w for a year and dropped to the 4w this year to get a bit more elevation and confidence off the deck. I find the rogue a smidge more forgiving as a line then the EF, just a smidge. 

For me the 3W was a tee club as I just don't have that much need for it off the deck with the shaggy fairway lies that this mere mortal has on his pubs and once in a while semi-private courses. I have 10+mph SS on you and still think the 4w is the better all around club for my swing speed off the deck when I have 240 in on a par 5 and its a slightly down hill lie in the short stuff 🙂 

The rogue has been good to me. Despite good deals on the Mavrik on CPO, its staying. For now. Damn CPO store....

- b

I hear you and yes am still looking for a Rogue 4w...partly because of your encouragement but mostly because I really do like my Rogue Driver so much - it was very good to me this past season, and confidence in a club is a third of the battle at least.

UPDATE 2: Found for great price and ordered a like-new Rogue 4w and like-new Epic Flash 5w this weekend - will go hit them (plus the new Ping G410 5w) indoors this week all lofted at 17* and return the one I like the least. But all look and feel great just swinging them...already know it's gonna be a tough decision to just pick two haha.