Best Private Country Clubs in Fairfield County

cbatch12

Moving from NYC to CT and looking to join a country club with a solid golf program (course, practice facility, and member tournaments). Looking for any suggestions from locals on which clubs to look at. Early search results were Country Club of Darien, Rolling Hills CC, and Brooklawn CC. 32yo, low single digit index. Thanks!

Edited by cbatch12

Yale is a great course but has constant issues with conditions.  Membership should be in the $6K range, and they also have a 15 round membership ($1500ish).  The only issue you may find (aside from condition) is that it lacks a club feel in terms of the social aspect.

If you are willing to drive to New Haven, New Haven Country Club has a great track.  About 10-15 minutes closer to Fairfield is Race Brook Country Club.  Both are very nice courses.  New Haven has a pool and paddle tennis (if that matters), and Race Brook also has a 9-hole executive course that is good in a pinch.  Race Brook should have their pricing posted on their website.

Both offer deals for your age group.  I would estimate in the $5K-7K all-in per year.  Neither should have an initiation, but they probably require a two-year commitment.

Rolling Hills and Darien are a totally different price-point, have substantial initiation fees, but are also in a more affluent area (if that matters to you).  There are other options too (Shorehaven, the Greenwich Clubs, Rockrimmon, etc. - all of which will be comparable in pricing and some element of exclusivity.

While all of those clubs mentioned are not far from one another distance-wise, traffic in CT is brutal (Stamford to Fairfield can easily be over an hour).  Do you know where you will be living?  Also, do you want a family club (pool, paddle, tennis) or golf centric?  Will this be a long term membership or something to just get you playing more competitive golf while meeting other golfers?  With those answers, I'm sure we can help narrow down where you should look.

TaylorMade M3 8.5*, Grandura 510 X-Stiff
TEE CBX 119, ProjectX Evenflow blue X-Stiff
Titleist 913H 21*, Matrix Ozik White Tie X-Stiff
Srixon Z545 4-7 Z745 8-PW, KBS Tour 120 Stiff
Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
MannKrafted Straight 6 Demascus Blade - see avatar

@sjpaster @hkane55 Thanks for the replies! Don't have an exact location quite yet, but with work in NYC it will be somewhere close to MTA. Like you said, Stamford to Fairfield could be a nightmare, but I'm okay with a 30min drive to the club. 

I am putting priority on clubs that have a solid tennis program. With college experience, I want to enjoy both the golf and tennis side of the club, however, golf is the main draw. Men's club, good member tournaments, skins game, etc..

As far as membership, I'd like to invest in a long term membership, but going in open minded. Thanks for any insights and advice!

If all eight of your grandparents are descended from Mayflower passengers and you're super rich, join the Country Club of Fairfield and then look down your nose at every one else who plays golf in Fairfield County.

To be fair, though, it's one of the best settings for golf you'll ever see; an incredible MacDonald-Raynor layout that may only be topped by Fisher's Island and The Creek.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Country Club of Fairfield is the best. It has an old school/money membership.

If you are in lower Fairfield County, it is worth crossing the border because Winged Foot has two great courses. More of a mixed membership ranging from CEOs to Rodney Dangerfield’s character in Caddie Shack.

Stanwich would be third for me. Like Winged Foot it has killer hard greens. Membership is largely the Greenwich money management crowd.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2020 at 8:56 AM, VOX said:

Country Club of Fairfield is the best. It has an old school/money membership.

If you are in lower Fairfield County, it is worth crossing the border because Winged Foot has two great courses. More of a mixed membership ranging from CEOs to Rodney Dangerfield’s character in Caddie Shack.

Stanwich would be third for me. Like Winged Foot it has killer hard greens. Membership is largely the Greenwich money management crowd.

All of those are great, but all of those have substantial initiation fees, multi-year waiting lists, arduous membership processes, or all three. If you aren't the child of a member at Winged Foot or a real "somebody" in golf or golf media, you might be waiting a decade or more. Stanwich is the easiest of those three to get into, but still a six-figure initiation.

Right.  We need to know what budget constraints exist and where he'll be living.  This will make a huge difference.  Most won't have $50K+ to drop on initiation.  Many that do won't want to anyway.  

If you're living further up in Fairfield County, many people will drive north or inland for cheaper golf.  The price difference between "prime" Fairfield County and "prime" New Haven County can be substantial.  The initiation fees are in a totally different league. 

On 11/9/2020 at 1:57 PM, cbatch12 said:

@sjpaster @hkane55 Thanks for the replies! Don't have an exact location quite yet, but with work in NYC it will be somewhere close to MTA. Like you said, Stamford to Fairfield could be a nightmare, but I'm okay with a 30min drive to the club. 

I am putting priority on clubs that have a solid tennis program. With college experience, I want to enjoy both the golf and tennis side of the club, however, golf is the main draw. Men's club, good member tournaments, skins game, etc..

As far as membership, I'd like to invest in a long term membership, but going in open minded. Thanks for any insights and advice!

Do you have a budget constraint on the initiation fee or member dues?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/9/2020 at 1:57 PM, cbatch12 said:

I have been Stamford for a little over a year, still looking for a club as well. Have you nailed one down yet? I reached out to Rockrimmon to see if they are doing a summer program like they did last year. I think it was somewhere around $5300 for the season, then you could transfer into a membership. Course is solid.

Edited by mjmorehead

On 2/27/2021 at 9:04 AM, mjmorehead said:

I have been Stamford for a little over a year, still looking for a club as well. Have you nailed one down yet? I reached out to Rockrimmon to see if they are doing a summer program like they did last year. I think it was somewhere around $5300 for the season, then you could transfer into a membership. Course is solid.

Excellent course indeed.  Any idea what their initiation/fee structure looks like under 40?  Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2021 at 12:32 AM, pretzelbag said:

Is the Connecticut Golf Club in Easton still good? When I was a young man many moons ago I worked there, and the course was incredible. They would have a celebrity event each year that got some bigger names to show up.

No pool or tennis, though...just golf.  And probably too far east for the OP.

CT Golf Club is still a good course, albeit some complain that there are too many elevation changes.  Still just golf with no other amenities and limited socialization if the OP cares.

Last I knew (2020 I believe), initiation was $6,500 for those under 40 with dues of $13K approximately. The dues then go up to $16K or so once you turn 40. It's pretty steep, and always has been, for a golf-only facility.

• 1 month later...

Hey all, 

My fiancée is an excellent golfer and I’d love to surprise him with a membership somewhere in Fairfield County as a wedding gift. We are under 35. Really not sure how to go about the process. Do you have to know someone to join? Any & all advice welcome. Have done a ton of research on fees and annual dues to expect, but any specifics would be greatly appreciated. Can I even operate secretly or would he have to be a part of this process to be accepted as a member? Thank you all so much!!!  -A hopeful but potentially totally out of her depth bride. 

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 10/19/2021 at 12:47 AM, _jc13 said:

Patterson, Brooklawn and Country Club of Fairfield are all great clubs in Fairfield. Connecticut Golf Club is a fun course with a fun, but challenging layout. Wee Burn and Woodway are good options in Darien. Shore haven is also a fun course at a nice club.

Any idea the cost at Woodway? Even if you just know if its on the higher end, mid range or lower end that'd be helpful. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have played great river a few times… it’s definitely a solid track. That being said it never struck me as a great deal for the public rate (somewhere between 125-150 iirc). I don’t know what the rate for membership is but it should be discounted based on being semi private for sure.