2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Bandon Solstice 2021

spud3

Very stoked to do this with Spud although incredibly nervous about the physical test the day will bring. I'm usually toast after our 36 hole days at Bandon. Knowing that completing that will be 'half way there' is motivating me to make significant changes today to insure I'm prepared.

Looking to jump start a new work out routine and drop some poundage. Working from home has not helped me in any way to stay, or get, in shape. Used to just head to the gym but that's off the table for now.

Anybody have some good home workout routines they want to share:)

• Like 2

I was lucky enough to get a spot for a twosome in 2021, after trying for a few years without success.  I was on the portal right at 7am PT and was able to book in a minute or two.  Very excited to do it and will also need to work on my fitness.  The most I've done in a day at Bandon is 45 holes, or 49 if you count 2 rounds plus Preserve.  Kettlebell Swings are usually my at-home workout of choice, will really have to up my number of reps over the next few months.

I realize it's not perfect, but it does seem like the resort made the process as fair as they can.  My biggest gripe in past years was that they allowed groups of up to 12, which was ridiculous IMO, glad to see they capped the group sizes at 4.  Look forward to meeting those of you WRXers who will be there in June!

• Like 1

We are in again. Had a twosome in 2020. Now we have a foursome. 

We played 90 in 2020, completed the sheep ranch in the dark. 37miles total and I carried my own bag for most of it. It wasn't that bad. 

My best advice for anyone is to just play a a few times a week before the event carrying your own bag. I remember that a couple of weeks before I went out late and played 36 in 4:30 carrying my bag. That stuff helps you the most for solstice. Commit to 10-15k steps a day for a few months before the event. Just walk, walk, and walk. 

But the big surprise is pace of play. We played in an average of 2:40 for the first 4 rounds. You have to get used to playing fast golf. 

• Like 1

Looking forward to a quick pace!  One question I had is related to that:

While the group would obviously not pay much attention to 'honors' protocol, I was wondering if everyone more or less got to the location of their tee shot and then just hit away, rather than waiting for whoever is farthest out?  Which could mean two (or more) balls in the air at once.  Is that left up to the group or is there a recommendation from the event staff?  Seems like pace of play would take precedence over any kind of protocol (within reason, or course - if someone is way back off the tee, they'll probably need to hit first for safety reasons).

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

I think every group is different. The staff just said to keep moving. 

We routinely had balls going everywhere all the time. But we played probably in top 10% of speed. Quick story - we teed off Old Mac first. We played with two guys we kind of knew but had never played golf before with. My playing partner took off like a jack rabbit and set the pace. The two other guys had the "holy sh*t, what did we get into?" look on their faces. In our group, people putted when ready and hit when ready. Again, we were moving, playing Old Mac in 2:30. I remember several times when people were already teeing off while others were still putting out on last hole. We took minimal time between rounds - got off the course, got on the bus and then got off bus and teed off. 

We played in 2:29, 2:40, 2:50, 2:59. Think about that. Our longest round was less than 10 minutes per hole and those were holes 55-72. Our fifth round was longer because we hit traffic and started to hit the sauce. 

But, you get a survey before the event asking you at what speed you want to play at. Sub 2:30, 2:30-3:00, 3:00-3:30 or 3:30+. My advice is to not try to speed up in that survey because you will hold people up. We wanted to be in the second tee time so I sent an email saying we are right on the border of sub 2:30 and the next tier and we definitely didn't want to be first off (too much pressure). We got the second slot. 

if you want to get the full experience, we did a podcast about it. 

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1032544/5452069-post-solstice-recap-show-everything-you-need-to-know

Edited by shackmangolf
  • Like 1

Pretty much how I thought it would go.

Does anyone even keep score?  Seems kinda silly, especially in those mid/late 3rd and 4th rounds.  I would imagine it's simply survival mode at that point.

I'll have to think about how to answer that survey question.  I know when I have been first off in the morning and alone, I can get around in about 2:30-2:45, if not dinking around.  I would think that having a foursome will inevitably slow that down some.  Plus my partner and I will be paired with two others that we don't know, so there's the unknown of how they rate their pace vs. reality.  I assume they pair up according to the survey?

Also, does everyone play the same tees or is that up to the groups?

Thanks for the info.  I'm really stoked to play this event.

We kept score. 72 hole birdie pool. Might do stableford quota this year. Or 2 on 2 match play for 72 holes with auto presses. Imagine each 9, each 18, 36 and 72. That 14 ways without auto presses. 

You can do whatever you want on tees. I plan on not going for 90 this year and play the tips. 

Yes, paired up according to survey.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 4:41 PM, shackmangolf said:

@lefty_89 Give us some show ideas! We are thinking about auctioning off our 4th slot for charity or do a big break like competition for the 4th spot

I'd love a podcast episode giving a breakdown/analysis on yours and Bob's favorite courses, ranked, then build out your favorite holes from #1-18. Would offer up some good debate between the two of you and I'm curious to see how y'alls ranking looks compared to mine.

Would like to hear what matches/games y'all have planned for this year's trip too. 

SIgn me up if you figure out a auction/competition/plan for the 4th spot!

Great information here, thank you.  I'm fired up for the event, my biggest concern would be who we get paired with.  I'm assuming a twosome is paired with the same other twosome for all 4 rounds.  That makes sense that they ask you about your expected pace, it definitely makes things a lot easier.  My usual playing partner when I go to Bandon wants to do this but I'm not sure he's up for it, he's a 20 handicap and physically I'm not sure he can do it either.  But he's a great friend and really wants to go, assuming he gets the green light from his wife.  For those who have went, do you think there's a max handicap for someone to reasonably complete it?  I'm an 8 and in good shape, and feel quite confident and am looking forward to the challenge.  That said, the last thing I want to do is be the group that's holding up the show.

@shackman123: Just finished the podcast series.  Great job!  Really liked the session with the two guys from Urban Golf Performance.  I also really liked the mental approach you guys discussed, which is to really just stay in each shot.  My goal is similar, in that I don't care as much about score as I do just hitting good shots.  Especially at a place like Bandon, where bad things can just happen to good shots.  Going to try to foster that over the next few months.

Personally, I'm not as worried about the physical part, as I walk most every round and do a fair amount of walking even in my daily life.  More of an issue for me is those moments when things go off the rails and how to overcome that.  It was nice to hear you guys discussing that very challenge, and I like your approach - just stay in the shot... it'll come back...

It will be an interesting experience to do this event after having played the courses a number of times.  I've long felt (and expressed in pretty much every trip report I've made) that I learn something about my game and myself every time I visit Bandon.  That's one of the things that makes it such a special place.  Really looking forward to see what that looks like after this unique event.

Thanks for doing those and posting the links.  Hope to meet you guys this June (you too, @Slippin_Jimmy)!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bummer.  I had that same experience a couple years ago.  Very frustrating.  More recently, I thought I was signed up for SR preview play last year, and never got any communication.  I think their IT systems are not all integrated.

There is a wait list, I think.  No telling what the Covid/travel situation will be like, even for next summer.  Also, you might send a PM to shackmangolf (posted above in this thread), as they may have an open 4th slot.

1 hour ago, spud3 said:

Bummer.  I had that same experience a couple years ago.  Very frustrating.  More recently, I thought I was signed up for SR preview play last year, and never got any communication.  I think their IT systems are not all integrated.

There is a wait list, I think.  No telling what the Covid/travel situation will be like, even for next summer.  Also, you might send a PM to shackmangolf (posted above in this thread), as they may have an open 4th slot.

Appreciate the response, but I think I'll wait till 2022. I had a group of buddies that wanted to go together. I think the wait list might be closed too, but I'll check.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2020 at 7:43 AM, Lefty_89 said:

I'd love a podcast episode giving a breakdown/analysis on yours and Bob's favorite courses, ranked, then build out your favorite holes from #1-18. Would offer up some good debate between the two of you and I'm curious to see how y'alls ranking looks compared to mine.

Would like to hear what matches/games y'all have planned for this year's trip too. 

SIgn me up if you figure out a auction/competition/plan for the 4th spot!

Do you mean favorite courses at Bandon? And favorite holes #1 through #18 at Bandon? Funny, Bob and I just spent an hour of the phone ranking our favorite First hole, second hole, by course. We should have recorded it. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, shackmangolf said:

Do you mean favorite courses at Bandon? And favorite holes #1 through #18 at Bandon? Funny, Bob and I just spent an hour of the phone ranking our favorite First hole, second hole, by course. We should have recorded it. 

Exactly - favorite Bandon courses from 1-5 and then if you had to pick favorite hole #1, #2, etc.

Pretty much what you and Bob were discussing, ha!

If y'all are looking for a guest speaker on any upcoming podcast episodes, albeit I've only been to Bandon once, I'm your guy 😉

• 4 months later...

I was wondering if someone was going to bump this thread!  "Can't wait" definitely sums it up.  To be honest, been doing a lot more training on my fitness (walking/running/flexibility) than on golf, just hoping my back holds up for the 4 rounds.  If anyone has any good training tips for the last 4 weeks, I'll take them.  

I've been keeping up the walking routines, and my partner and I have been adding progressively more holes every couple weeks to get ourselves accustomed to being on our feet and swinging a club for that long.  Aiming for 54 holes this weekend or next.

The excitement is starting to build....

• Like 1

Curious on what others are doing in terms of carrying/Riksha/caddie and full bag or less?

I'm going to be carrying for at least a couple rounds, probably a half set in an ultralight bag.  Knowing that Trails is the toughest walk, we're pondering hiring a caddie for that round, if that's a possibility.  I would think there would be a bunch of caddies hanging out after noon to catch those who were trying to carry for the whole event and are in dire need of a looper.  Prices may be at a premium, but could feel like a bargain by the end of that third round...