2020 Masters Invitational champion is Dustin Johnson!

tiderider
Message added by BAlberstadt,

Watch along with GolfWRX Staff from leader tee off Saturday, Sunday. 

3 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

You must not have watched in ‘97.   Tiger won by 12 and he wrapped it up somewhere around hole 50.

Oops, a couple others posted similar.

Sorry! I tend to post as I react...not read forward first. 😀

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

2 hours ago, geakins said:

When DJ shows up and shuts up Brooks. Yeah DJ is a picker, he gets to pick nexts years champions dinner. Whereas Brooks is a digger, he keeps digging his hole deeper and deeper. DJ you the man! Well played.image.gif.a0dea132b9c6531e52cf1af9824fb758.gif

I just watched brooks interview and rorys ; what a contrast of class 

bravo rory !!!! ( I hope to see him and DJ slug it out for some majors in the future )  brooks , man sometimes you have just have to admit when your beat handily) 

• Like 2

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

It was a real Masters. Everyone played the same course. The only thing different was course conditions. Consider a British Open at St. Andrews. If the weather is mild, the players can tear the course up, if the weather is a factor, players struggle. Does that mean that the player who won the British at St. Andrews under benign conditions didn't when a "real" British Open? 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Superbrit said:

Not sure about his shirt but that moustache was 1978 college kid, what is he thinking, must have been a bet!

All the kids are doing it. All the sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wasteoids, dweebies, dickheads... it's called "No Shave November".

• Like 1

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

2 hours ago, Sean2 said:

It was a real Masters. Everyone played the same course. The only thing different was course conditions. Consider a British Open at St. Andrews. If the weather is mild, the players can tear the course up, if the weather is a factor, players struggle. Does that mean that the player who won the British at St. Andrews under benign conditions didn't when a "real" British Open? 

I won't go where he went but can we agree that a tournament on a soft ANGC with no fans is different that a firm running ANGC with people shoulder to shoulder roaring?

The final round at the Dunhill Links in benign conditions is different than that in an Open.

Pressure and context are important.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smashdn said:

I won't go where he went but can we agree that a tournament on a soft ANGC with no fans is different that a firm running ANGC with people shoulder to shoulder roaring?

The final round at the Dunhill Links in benign conditions is different than that in an Open.

Pressure and context are important.

Smh...all we need now are the Tiger fan boys to say it was different this year because it wasn't vintage Tiger playing.  Vintage Tiger and DJ loses by a shot on the firm/fast conditions, in the soft conditions, beat up Tiger allowed the "picker" to win.

Seriously, is it really that hard to appreciate DJ's week and call him a Masters Champion?

So the conditions and fan energy were different, so what.  It all balances out.  Still a tough course, still a major, still has pressure, still have to close the deal on Sunday.  And you get the same green jacket.

Remember, the same soft conditions and the old guy Langer beat the mad bomber DeShambles.  BDC lost a ball because there were no fans to help in the search; is that easier?  What excuse does JT have?  Soft conditions made him put it over the green and in the water on 15 on Saturday?  The list goes on...no point in manufacturing a different context just to take away from DJ's brilliant week.

• Like 1

You two guys are going way farther than my intent.

Absolutely they all played the same course.  Never said otherwise. 

Yes the fans create the atmosphere.  Some guys playing need it.  Some guys loathe it.  Some it matters not.

All I said was it was different than a typical major atmosphere.  Personally, I found this iteration of The Masters to be rather dull.  I don't know that I can put my finger on it but it is my opinion.  Might be the soft conditions.  Hit and stick golf doesn't do much for me.

• Like 1

Whatever the perceived shortcomings, it was still the best players in the world competing over four rounds at Augusta. Dustin Johnson showed us he has one of the highest gears in the game. It was nice to see him catch it then keep it through the final round when it really mattered. Maybe it wasn't as dramatic a final round as we all had hoped for sitting on our couches, but there's a reason it wasn't...  DJ thumped everyone and won his second major in convincing fashion! Good for him, he couldn't be more deserving of his green jacket.  

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, smashdn said:

You two guys are going way farther than my intent.

Absolutely they all played the same course.  Never said otherwise. 

Yes the fans create the atmosphere.  Some guys playing need it.  Some guys loathe it.  Some it matters not.

All I said was it was different than a typical major atmosphere.  Personally, I found this iteration of The Masters to be rather dull.  I don't know that I can put my finger on it but it is my opinion.  Might be the soft conditions.  Hit and stick golf doesn't do much for me.

it was dull for one reason. All the contenders, except DJ, played mediocre to poor golf in the final round. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dalehead said:

it was dull for one reason. All the contenders, except DJ, played mediocre to poor golf in the final round. 

No. Just no. Im and Smith both shot 3 under. Under the gun of contending. There were just 4 rounds better on Sunday...one was DJ and the other 3 were shot by guys that started the day at -6 or worse.

If you feel the round or the event was boring it was likely because DJ went out and took the event by the throat and you absolutely knew he was going to win. Yes the course was soft, rain tends to do that. Yes there were no roars....a pandemic tends to do that. 
Are some of you really saying that these top pros would have been put off by crowds? I think it more likely they are put off by NOT having the usual crowds. 

• Like 1

I really like no fans

Collin win in SF was awesome as was DJ at ANGC

No let's revive up the old changes to ANGC golf course thread

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

2 hours ago, Imp said:

All the kids are doing it. All the sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wasteoids, dweebies, dickheads... it's called "No Shave November".

I think you'll find Cam is tapping into his community spirit. 

There's a charity thing here down under called "Movember" to raise funds for Mental Health research etc.

https://au.movember.com/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shilgy said:

No. Just no. Im and Smith both shot 3 under. Under the gun of contending. There were just 4 rounds better on Sunday...one was DJ and the other 3 were shot by guys that started the day at -6 or worse.

If you feel the round or the event was boring it was likely because DJ went out and took the event by the throat and you absolutely knew he was going to win. Yes the course was soft, rain tends to do that. Yes there were no roars....a pandemic tends to do that. 
Are some of you really saying that these top pros would have been put off by crowds? I think it more likely they are put off by NOT having the usual crowds. 

Wait a minute. Throughout this thread posters have commented how easy the scoring conditions were. Posters tell us ANGC’s par is really 68. The contenders had to bring their best game to the final round and the conditions gave them the opportunity to do it. That’s why I consider 3 under by Im and Smith mediocre. If you feel otherwise you’re entitled to your opinion.

You say players were put off by not having spectators. Other posters claim spectators add more pressure. Which is it?

2 minutes ago, hack2489 said:

That sounds like something Patrick Reed would write or say.

Burn. 

• Like 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

30 minutes ago, dalehead said:

Wait a minute. Throughout this thread posters have commented how easy the scoring conditions were. Posters tell us ANGC’s par is really 68. The contenders had to bring their best game to the final round and the conditions gave them the opportunity to do it. That’s why I consider 3 under by Im and Smith mediocre. If you feel otherwise you’re entitled to your opinion.

You say players were put off by not having spectators. Other posters claim spectators add more pressure. Which is it?

So everyone played like crap on Sunday. -4 was the best score. Must have been the pressure of Masters Sunday...amiright?  
Does anyone really think having throngs of live people watching them play adds pressure? It might affect the club player coming down the stretch at his club championship having a dozen watching but the pros? DJ already had a hall of fame resume. Do you think someone else would have won because a crowd would have made him too nervous to pull the trigger?

As for the softness. Did it make it a ton easier? The course played very long with no roll off the tee. But of course that was offset by having long approach shots that stuck when the landed. BUT that was offset by having little control of how much a shorter club would suck back.With the slopes on the AN greens two balls could land six feet apart and get very different reactions. We saw many balls to the right pin on 12, for example, suck back off the green and into the water. There is a tiny false front on that side of the green. Carry it and the ball would stick. A foot short and it spun into the water. Many approaches to other greens, especially to front pins, landed and spun off the green.

So yeah, it was easier...and more difficult. And the crowds might be a distraction for some players...and others feed off the energy they bring. So there is no definitive answer to your question. Just opinions....and we all have of of those too.😆

Edited by Shilgy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, dalehead said:

In fairness, it was DeShampoo that started the "par 67" nonsense.  As in he's such a big strong boy he claimed that he was playing a par 67 course.  Unlike, say, poor Bernhard Langer, a little old weakling stuck plying his trade on a par 72 course.

20 minutes ago, dalehead said:

I say it depends upon the player.  DJ probably no change either way.  Rory has said he actually feeds off the energy of the fans.  Others who have never won a major and nursing a lead might be put off when a massive roar goes up a few holes ahead of them.

• Like 1

The par 68 comments are nothing new, though most of them came prior to the course changes. They are coming back now that there is this big push for even more distance by everyone but I think the course held up pretty well given how soft it was. DJ when he is on, I don't know what you can do to a golf course.

I definitely don't asterisk this Masters, is it better with fans and roars? Of course and I do think that has an affect on guys, but I can guarantee they were still nervous. Better than not having one at all. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

13 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

If this tournament proved one thing to me it’s that I like to see the fairways soft for these guys. They were hitting fairway woods and long irons to #15 and some of the par 4’s.  The 2nd shot on 13 and 15=should be a decision not a given you will go for the green.  

soft fairways and firm greens would be the ideal setup.  

This is always the difficult balance to strike, because it generally requires maintaining the course in an artificial way. I would be fine with it for professional events but it doesn't match up with the push for sustainability. And even then you will still have the longest guys carrying it the farthest (generally), allowing shorter club into greens, so they still have an advantage. 

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x