Ping G700 v.s. Callaway CF16

I have been playing the G700, but they are boring as he... I need some excitement in my life. The G700 around the greens just doesn't exist. So I put the old reliable CF 16's back in the bag and see what happens. You know I may very well come crawling back to the G700, but I need some touch near the greens that I can feel. I can only push my wedge so far, it needs some help with the shot game duties.

winter time, the pause that refreshes

Ping Max 10.5

Cobra F9 5,7 wds

RBZ 5,6 hybrids

G700 5-7 iron

Cobra F9 8-aw

MD5 54 10S

Toulon Columbus

Maxfli Tour

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Put the G710s in the bag, the look alone will wake up that excitement meter. 

I have decided on a compromise; CF16 aw, pw, and 9 iron for short game work. Then G700 8 iron on up to 5 iron. I just have to have the CF16 short game in the bag. 

Another twist in the story; I am putting the Cobra F9 back in for aw to 8 iron. The Cobra are very forgiving, but not quite the short game of the CF16. I went this route because the Cobra are closer i

Are you talking about the entire set and when you say cf16’s are you talking apex’s?  That is quite a jump and I imagine would get you excited 😂.  I had a set of apex for a little bit and never could get used to them.  I had shafts that were not a good fit also which hurt me even more with them.  But the heads are so short that I had a hard time being really confident.  Now I would probably like the, better but at the time I was not ready for them.  I got some i500’s (a lot of wrx’rs are not fans but I love them) and they were a perfect compromise.  If you like the look of g700’s but want some more excitement the i500’s might get ya going!

Played yesterday and the G700's are going back in. Around the greens the CF16's are superior, but long irons, the G700 wins the battle. I guess I need to look into some 710 irons. Maybe 725 soon?

Ping Max 10.5

Cobra F9 5,7 wds

RBZ 5,6 hybrids

G700 5-7 iron

Cobra F9 8-aw

MD5 54 10S

Toulon Columbus

Maxfli Tour

Cf16 are awesome

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x Ping G400 7w 19.5* Diamana B 80s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki 82x Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 90s

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

I went from G700 to PXG 0211 ... not as many flyers, PW and GW work well for pitches and chips.

The Ping Hoofer 14 bag:
Ping G410 12.0* Alta Distanza 40

Ping G410 3W Alta CB

Ping G410 19* Alta CB

Ping G410 22* Tensei CK Pro Blue 70

Ping G410 26* Alta CB
PXG 0211 6 to GW MMT-70
Ping Glide 2.0 54*

Cleveland CBX 58*

Odyssey O-Works 2-Ball Black

Another twist in the story; I am putting the Cobra F9 back in for aw to 8 iron. The Cobra are very forgiving, but not quite the short game of the CF16. I went this route because the Cobra are closer in design to the G700. I really like the better accuracy of the Cobras in the shorter irons, they play more consistent. The G700's heads are enormous in the short irons.  

• Like 1

Ping Max 10.5

Cobra F9 5,7 wds

RBZ 5,6 hybrids

G700 5-7 iron

Cobra F9 8-aw

MD5 54 10S

Toulon Columbus

Maxfli Tour

The Cobra F9's really came through today, and did great with them. So glad to have them back in the bag. Today was a rough day as it was chilly and windy as well. Just not my day. Have a bad out to in swing that was all over the place. I still shot a somewhat decent score, 91, but missed some real easy putts, that was finally cured with left hand low for short putts. Frustration level went through the roof as the 2 golfers ahead of me acted like they never played before. Finally passed them and it was better until the out to in got worse. Extra clothing??? I'm going with that!

Ping Max 10.5

Cobra F9 5,7 wds

RBZ 5,6 hybrids

G700 5-7 iron

Cobra F9 8-aw

MD5 54 10S

Toulon Columbus

Maxfli Tour

Always looking for the pot of gold that doesn't exist, imagine that!! I will be looking at the Ping G425 when they are available. I have found that hollow body irons really lack around the greens. The Cobra F9's are very good, and the 9 iron is money for me. The F9's have set the standard for me, and I get great deals through Global Golf.

Ping Max 10.5

Cobra F9 5,7 wds

RBZ 5,6 hybrids

G700 5-7 iron

Cobra F9 8-aw

MD5 54 10S

Toulon Columbus

Maxfli Tour

• 2 weeks later...

I mixed G700 5-7 iron and F9 6-aw to get what I wanted. Shot 39, so I am very happy with this decision. For some reason I do not like the feel of the G700 below 7 iron. But F9 above 8 doesn't work as easily as the G700, it is a beast for length. 

Ping Max 10.5

Cobra F9 5,7 wds

RBZ 5,6 hybrids

G700 5-7 iron

Cobra F9 8-aw

MD5 54 10S

Toulon Columbus

Maxfli Tour