2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

“The only reason I’m playing golf is because Tiger made the game cool,”-Brooks Koepka, and others

bscinstnct

46 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Tiger destroyed Augusta and won 4 majors in a row as a total string bean!

Maybe he was running regularly at that time but I really think that Tiger started seriously lifting to 

Stop being “Urkel” and try too look good for chicks! 

If Tiger never worked out ever he’d still have won the same. Maybe more since he admitted messing his knee up running!

Looking back at some of the injuries and forced time off in Tiger's career, it was probably the worst thing he could have done to get into more of a building regimen. I think he would have won more had he stayed leaner.

• Like 3

On 11/8/2020 at 6:01 PM, milesgiles said:

You don’t think that’s a wee bit insulting to every professional golfer that came before him? Plenty were athletic and they all worked hard.

I guess the guy never saw Jack play.   Geez.

I just like Bryson now because he is the first guy to really bring power and muscle to the game.  All the guys before including Tiger were weak and not athletic (sarcasm).

Edited by FakeClubPro
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Let me guess, Miamistomp - you're huge, right? 

Let's see

went to Penn relays as a high jumper

was on Temple University weightlifting team and was pretty good amateur boxer

huge - no -was 181 and 198 lb  class in lifting and light heavy and cruiser as boxer

None of that matters --Tiger is a great golfer- but I would not have been scared to lift , box or  compete track against him back in my prime

When you run out of mouth I guess you come back with " I know you are but what am I "

I guess you have low fitness standards

Tiger is a golfing machine no more-no less

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

The Koepka comment, good god man. That guy makes Patrick Reed look like James Bond. He couldn't be charming if his life depended on it. His quote should have ended with, "I learned from Tiger Woods that all I had to do was be an amazing golfer", "if I did that I could completely mail it on all interviews, taunt and harass my competitors, and strut around like I'm Bo Jackson". 

To be fair, he's being paid based on his golfing ability and not his charisma.

Never understood why people care about anything beyond that when it comes to athletics.

32 minutes ago, Bubbtubbs said:

To be fair, he's being paid based on his golfing ability and not his charisma.

Never understood why people care about anything beyond that when it comes to athletics.

His sponsors might disagree on that. Otherwise no arguments. Just a pot shot meant to elicit a laugh. In all seriousness though, Brooks should quit with the glib act - he does not carry it off. 

Edited by Dr. Block

3 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

His sponsors might disagree on that.  Otherwise no arguments.  Just a pot shot meant to elicit a laugh.  In all seriousness though, Brooks should quit with the glib act - he does not carry it off. 

I agree. Reed is much better at presenting the attitude of not giving a damn, IMO.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, miamistomp said:

Let's see

went to Penn relays as a high jumper

was on Temple University weightlifting team and was pretty good amateur boxer

huge - no -was 181 and 198 lb  class in lifting and light heavy and cruiser as boxer

None of that matters --Tiger is a great golfer- but I would not have been scared to lift , box or  compete track against him back in my prime

When you run out of mouth I guess you come back with " I know you are but what am I "

I guess you have low fitness standards

Tiger is a golfing machine no more-no less

My wife and I always maintained a very high standard of nutrition and fitness.   I stopped heavy weights 4 years ago but still run and lift 5X per week.  She has 12 full marathons to her credit.  I have only a handful.

Impressive background.    

• Like 1

There's something about Tiger that transcends him to be more than just a golfer and/or athlete. Can't take away anything from the golfers that came before him, but he took the sport to a different level.  

• Like 1

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Blue 6S

Stealth+ 15* w/ Ventus Blue 7S

TSR3 18* w/ Tour AD UB 8S

23' T200 4-6 w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

23' T150 7-PW w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

RTX 6 ZipCore 52, 56, 60 w/ DG Spinner

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

Please don't tempt me with your WTS/WTT posts...

2 hours ago, stevechooster said:

There's something about Tiger that transcends him to be more than just a golfer and/or athlete. Can't take away anything from the golfers that came before him, but he took the sport to a different level.  

Every generation had a pro that inspired 'em.  Don't know why it's so hard for others in this thread to accept the fact that Tiger was that pro for me, you, Brooks Koepka, and quite a few more.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

4 hours ago, Ferguson said:

My wife and I always maintained a very high standard of nutrition and fitness.   I stopped heavy weights 4 years ago but still run and lift 5X per week.  She has 12 full marathons to her credit.  I have only a handful.

Impressive background.    

I do 12 ounce curls 😂

Check my style. Not bad for an old man ; )

4DEFF9D6-F9C3-4457-9EC8-DC8822D73223.jpeg

• Like 2

I’d agree Tiger was not an athlete or very athletic initially.  He was a stringy golf nerd that got into lifting and running

guys like Woodland that played other college sports I’d be more inclined to call athletes

I will toss Hale Irwin and George Bayer out there

All golfers, including females, Babe Zaharias wins hands down

we all have buds that are good at golf only ... and then you have pals that can play pretty much any major sport well

• Like 3

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

7 hours ago, cardoustie said:

I’d agree Tiger was not an athlete or very athletic initially.  He was a stringy golf nerd that got into lifting and running

guys like Woodland that played other college sports I’d be more inclined to call athletes

I will toss Hale Irwin and George Bayer out there

All golfers, including females, Babe Zaharias wins hands down

we all have buds that are good at golf only ... and then you have pals that can play pretty much any major sport well

Let's not confuse athletic and muscle. I remember reading somewhere that his high school coach (maybe gym teacher) said TW was the best athlete in his high school but no one knew it because he golfed. 

4 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Let's not confuse athletic and muscle. I remember reading somewhere that his high school coach (maybe gym teacher) said TW was the best athlete in his high school but no one knew it because he golfed. 

Again, I’d really like to know of one, just one, solid, verifiable athletic achievement he did. A lift, a run, a jump, anything..

he was  built for golf. That’s it. 

15 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

I challenge anyone in this thread who fancies themselves a fitness expert to walk four days of golf in a row. You will be tired! 

Yes, and multiply that by weekly travel and it becomes clear that good fitness is helpful to a Tour player (or any other person).

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

17 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

I challenge anyone in this thread who fancies themselves a fitness expert to walk four days of golf in a row. You will be tired! Try doing that for months on end and showing up nearly every week chomping at the bit ready to grab your higher gears once the tee is in the ground.  

Took me a while to realise this was serious..

i go away with large golf groups of which I’m about the youngest at 46, we play every day for a week no carts, and up until recently a lot would do 36. No caddies either.

hate to say it but i can only conclude in the States being fit means not being fat..

3 hours ago, milesgiles said:

Again, I’d really like to know of one, just one, solid, verifiable athletic achievement he did. A lift, a run, a jump, anything..

he was  built for golf. That’s it. 

I read somewhere once he was a very good middle distance runner.  400 meter type of stuff. 

athletic ability is an odd thing to define.  I know a former NFL center ,   very strong, who in his playing prime could barely hit the ball 200 yards.  So who is a better athlete, Tiger or the guy who can probably bench 400 lbs. 

different body types have different skills. 

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

2 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

I read somewhere once he was a very good middle distance runner.  400 meter type of stuff. 

athletic ability is an odd thing to define.  I know a former NFL center ,   very strong, who in his playing prime could barely hit the ball 200 yards.  So who is a better athlete, Tiger or the guy who can probably bench 400 lbs. 

^^^ That is correct.

Also add that there are plenty of guys successful in other sports that can't be good at golf as much as they try.

12 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

i go away with large golf groups of which I’m about the youngest at 46, we play every day for a week no carts, and up until recently a lot would do 36. No caddies either.

hate to say it but i can only conclude in the States being fit means not being fat..

There are different types of fit.  John Daly walks many rounds a week, and he is not fit by most any definition. Being “golf walking fit” is different than being gym fit. You have to acquire it with repetition like anything else.  

I walk 3 to 5 miles most every morning, but because of issues I have physically I can’t run or do hard workouts any longer.  When I play golf I almost always ride,  because that’s just what we do. Some courses I play are 100% riding, others probably 85 to 90%.  I do see mostly walkers at the par 3 course by my house, it does bother me when I see people riding on that. 🤪

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

6 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

There are different types of fit.  John Daly walks many rounds a week, and he is not fit by most any definition. Being “golf walking fit” is different than being gym fit. You have to acquire it with repetition like anything else.  

I walk 3 to 5 miles most every morning, but because of issues I have physically I can’t run or do hard workouts any longer.  When I play golf I almost always ride,  because that’s just what we do. Some courses I play are 100% riding, others probably 85 to 90%.  I do see mostly walkers at the par 3 course by my house, it does bother me when I see people riding on that. 🤪

Exactly!  The type of fitness is dependent upon the sport and how you use those muscles.  For example I walk when I golf, bike a lot in the summer and do various types of cardio/strength training. Yeah I'm a little heavy but fit.  But when winter comes and I switch to skiing I use muscles in a different way and really feel it for the first couple weeks.  Then when spring comes and switch back to golf, biking and more walking, once again those muscles really feel it for a couple weeks.

44 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

Cool. What time did he actually verifiably record?

btw, RoTW, 400m is a sprint, not middle distance..

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

All I’m getting here is that you’re a 46 year old man who sometimes goes on golf trips. Am I missing something?