2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Carts more popular than walking nowadays...used to be the other way 'round.

22 minutes ago, pktaske said:

Walkers or Riders?

Obviously there is a greater amount of inferred superiority coming from a few on the walk side of the equation. I really don't see much casting of stones from the cart people ... and certainly not "I'm well off. Look at me. I'm riding." But I'm probably misinterpreting what you are trying to say.

As a person who would normally ride, as a result of this thread I booked a walking round tomorrow (at additional expense mind you!). The last time I walked a full length 18 hole course was Plainfield Country Club with a caddy in 2019. We'll see how it goes.

I was referring to riders, particularly among the younger sect, as most older folks ride because they simply don't have the stamina for walking (or at least that's my view of it).  I do think walkers like myself might see themselves as more of the traditionalists, and playing golf the way it was meant to be played.  

Regarding which is faster, riding or walking, what I have witnessed is this:

- A single in a cart will almost always be faster than a walker

- Two people in a cart will be faster than a walker ONLY if those two people typically keep the ball around the fairway; otherwise, in the time it takes them to ride around looking for balls (even if it's only one person's ball), the walker will be able to get to his ball and hit his next shot.   The exception to this is if the walker is also spending a bunch of time looking for his/her ball.

- If the course is 'cart path only', it's almost always faster to walk, and there is also much less chance the walker will leave a club lying around.

2 hours ago, jordan2240 said:

I despise riding, so will walk almost any course in any weather (some courses simply aren't made for walking), even if the cost is the same or even cheaper with a cart.  I'm 60.  I golf for the exercise as much as for the golf, and I also think that with 2 people in a cart, most actually go slower than a walker.  I'm with Arnold on this one - golf is meant for walking, and is far more enjoyable when doing such (if you are able, of course).  But I guess those who ride find the game more enjoyable that way, though I wonder how many have actually tried walking.  My son-in-law was an all-the-time rider until he started playing some with me, and he claims he actually enjoys walking now, though he still rides whenever he plays with his peers.  I honestly think a sense of entitlement is part of the appeal.

Okay, I'll ask since I just have to hear this. How does riding in a cart translate to a sense of entitlement?

1 hour ago, chippa13 said:

Okay, I'll ask since I just have to hear this. How does riding in a cart translate to a sense of entitlement?

It's just an impression I get from some of the people of my children's generation who play - sort of the same impression that playing music and ignoring etiquette gives me.  Obviously it doesn't apply to everyone or even most golfers, so I should have appended 'for some' to the end of that sentence.

A lot of generalizations in this thread so I'll add a few in regards to my club.  All of the tops guys at my club ride in carts.  Most of them own their own carts.  We have a few guys who are known as the best of the best and I cannot think of one time I saw any of them walk and I've been a member for 17 years.

The vast majority of players, including weekend warriors, ride in carts as well.  Regulars who walk use pushcarts.  People who carry are by far the biggest minority.  I can't think of any regulars who carry, and only younger, non-golfers literally carry their bags.  The league women are largely the same.  Most ride in carts, but many walk with pushcarts.  I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a woman carry a bag.  

Edit to add:  This is a 9 hole goat track that is pretty flat except hills on two hills that will raise your pulse rate.  

Edited by soregongolfer

I’d like to state that my last three rounds have consisted of one riding, one pushing, and one carrying....so everyone here can dislike me equally! 

In all seriousness, I put on about 10-12 miles a day at work, so I’m not looking for exercise on the course. I’d rather ride, I’m fresher at the end of the round. If I am walking I prefer to carry, to me it’s easier to be able to take the bag just about anywhere. But, when I carry, I have to pare the bag down so much I don’t have anything with me I might need. At least when pushing, I can carry drinks and extra gear. 

And to Jordan, I think I understand where you were going, or trying to say, with the entitlement statement. Don’t think it was meant to ensnare all riders. Just didn’t read very well (IMO). 

Edited by deadsolid...shank
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, soregongolfer said:

A lot of generalizations in this thread so I'll add a few in regards to my club.  All of the tops guys at my club ride in carts.  Most of them own their own carts.  We have a few guys who are known as the best of the best and I cannot think of one time I saw any of them walk and I've been a member for 17 years.

The vast majority of players, including weekend warriors, ride in carts as well.  Regulars who walk use pushcarts.  People who carry are by far the biggest minority.  I can't think of any regulars who carry, and only younger, non-golfers literally carry their bags.  The league women are largely the same.  Most ride in carts, but many walk with pushcarts.  I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a woman carry a bag.  

Edit to add:  This is a 9 hole goat track that is pretty flat except hills on two hills that will raise your pulse rate.  

This is interesting to me. A crappy 9 hole course where most people own their own carts? I assume they live on the course? Am I wrong in thinking this must be Florida?

18 hours ago, chippa13 said:

So you don't have any logical bridge between carts and entitlement. You just despise the idea of carts and believe everyone should. Got it.

I don't despise the idea of carts, I simply despise riding in one myself.  But 'despise' is probably too strong a word.  I simply get far more enjoyment MYSELF out of walking a course, and do think more people, especially anyone under 40, should give it a try if they don't have a limiting physical reason for not doing so. 

Edited by jordan2240
rewording
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pktaske said:

This is interesting to me. A crappy 9 hole course where most people own their own carts? I assume they live on the course? Am I wrong in thinking this must be Florida?

Very common where I was for years in western Nebraska (and its that way actually in most of the state), small nine hole courses, people own their own carts. The vast majority don’t actually live on the course, but pay to have them stored there. 
I can’t speak for other places, I know where I’m at now in northern Colorado there are no private carts. At the courses a few miles from here (much higher end public) they do have a lot of private carts that people ride from their home to the course. I don’t think these courses have private storage. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 11:09 AM, bigred90gt said:

This, a bunch.

I used to walk and carry, then I blew my back out and couldnt carry my bag much further than from the truck to the clubhouse if I wanted to be able to function. That's when I bought a push cart. Living on the gulf coast, walking (even with a push cart) is rather miserable for a good portion of the year, but I still occasionally did. Now that my wife plays, she has no desire to walk the course, and part of the enjoyment for her is us being in the cart together riding around the course enjoying the outdoors. Since I play 99% of my rounds with her, I ride, because I'm just glad she is out there. Occasionally when I play with a different group, if they want to walk, I'll walk. Most of the people I know that play golf do not walk, and I'm not going to be the lone person in the group hoofing it around the course. Now that I no longer play competitive golf, it is a social event for me. I'm not going to isolate myself from the rest of the group for 80% of the round just to walk the course.

If golf to you is walking the course and carrying your clubs, great. If it is walking the course, with your clubs on a push cart, great. If it is driving around the course in a cart, great. Enjoy the game how you want to, but theres no need to attack someone else and call them lazy because they dont feel like walking the golf course. Some people are on their feet 12-14 hours a day at work, and when they get to the course, they dont want to spend 4 hours walking and toting a golf bag. That doesnt make them lazy, they just enjoy their time on the course differently. So long as you keep up with pace, be respectful to the course and those at the course (other players and staff alike), then enjoy it as you wish.

But you're also how old?  And you have a physical limitation.  The older folks it's at least somewhat understandable.   It's when you see the 20 something guys on a weekend who are riding.  They could easily be walking, but then the beer is harder to transport.  And that is why they ride.  They will give reasons about it being a tough walk, etc., but it boils down to the beer.  At least that is what it appears to be at my course.

Having said that, given the average spend per month this summer by a lot of these guys, they sure helped keep the club cash flow positive.  So there was some positive.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pktaske said:

Most don't own carts, but a lot of the regulars do and it's a muni in Oregon.  There are two "barns" where spots are rented out (annually)  and there are 26 parking spots in each barn.  Both barns are always full and there are waiting lists.   

Edit to add there are no homes on the course.  It's part of a large park complex donated to the city by a local doctor decades ago.  

Edited by soregongolfer

13 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Very common where I was for years in western Nebraska (and its that way actually in most of the state), small nine hole courses, people own their own carts. The vast majority don’t actually live on the course, but pay to have them stored there. 
I can’t speak for other places, I know where I’m at now in northern Colorado there are no private carts. At the courses a few miles from here (much higher end public) they do have a lot of private carts that people ride from their home to the course. I don’t think these courses have private storage. 

Aren't carts thousands of dollars? Who fixes them when they break?

I can't imagine that they would charge more than a few dollars to rent one of their carts for a 9 hole course....but maybe I'm wrong.

Intriguing...

1 hour ago, pktaske said:

Aren't carts thousands of dollars? Who fixes them when they break?

I can't imagine that they would charge more than a few dollars to rent one of their carts for a 9 hole course....but maybe I'm wrong.

Intriguing...

The two I had weren’t high dollar ones. $1500 and $2500 if I remember. But some of the guys have ones that are pushing up towards $10,000. Our small area has two cart dealers and at least a couple independent guys that fix and do routine maintenance on them. They go to the course and pick them up and then return them when done. 

I know for me, I liked having my own. I always had a few essentials stored in it.  But I think the biggest factor was having a windshield and cart cover. Always ready if weather cropped up. 

13 hours ago, Bluefan75 said:

But you're also how old?  And you have a physical limitation.  The older folks it's at least somewhat understandable.   It's when you see the 20 something guys on a weekend who are riding.  They could easily be walking, but then the beer is harder to transport.  And that is why they ride.  They will give reasons about it being a tough walk, etc., but it boils down to the beer.  At least that is what it appears to be at my course.

Having said that, given the average spend per month this summer by a lot of these guys, they sure helped keep the club cash flow positive.  So there was some positive.

My push cart, like most, has a drink holder, and my bag, like most, has a cooler compartment that can fit a 6-pack.  Of course, someone who might not golf all that often, as I didn't when I was a working stiff, might not want to invest in such, though the savings of walking vs riding over the course of a year would help pay for a nice cart.  But to each his own.  I don't think they know what they are missing though if they've never given walking a try.  And if you enjoy the socializing part of golfing, walking definitely gives you more chat time.

Edited by jordan2240
wording
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jordan2240 said:

My push cart, like most, has a drink holder, and my bag, like most, has a cooler compartment that can fit a 6-pack.  Of course, someone who might not golf all that often, as I didn't when I was a working stiff, might not want to invest in such, though the savings of walking vs riding over the course of a year would help pay for a nice cart.  But to each his own.  I don't think they know what they are missing though if they've never given walking a try.  And if you enjoy the socializing part of golfing, walking definitely gives you more chat time.

What I find is that you end up hardly talking to the players in the other cart.  Which is fine when I'm in Florida and playing with my buddy.  BUt that is it. 

4 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Bit if walking is supposedly so much faster then it can't possibly lead to more chat time.

As I believe you noted before, the reason cart golf often takes longer is because people don't know how to use the carts efficiently.  Obviously, you can get to your ball faster, or at least where you think your ball is, but when you're driving around looking for balls, sitting near your partner and waiting for them to hit before going over to your own ball, or dropping your partner off, then going to your ball, then driving back to your partner, etc. , you generally aren't doing much chatting.  Plus, the noise of the cart can also inhibit talk, if it's not electric. On the other had, when you are walking toward your ball, you can often walk together for a bit before breaking off toward your own ball, which gives you time to chat.  But I'm sure you already know all this.

2 hours ago, jordan2240 said:

As I believe you noted before, the reason cart golf often takes longer is because people don't know how to use the carts efficiently.  Obviously, you can get to your ball faster, or at least where you think your ball is, but when you're driving around looking for balls, sitting near your partner and waiting for them to hit before going over to your own ball, or dropping your partner off, then going to your ball, then driving back to your partner, etc. , you generally aren't doing much chatting.  Plus, the noise of the cart can also inhibit talk, if it's not electric. On the other had, when you are walking toward your ball, you can often walk together for a bit before breaking off toward your own ball, which gives you time to chat.  But I'm sure you already know all this.

I could not disagree with this enough. I walked yesterday and while I found it enjoyable, I had to constantly be on the move to keep up with the carts. I was always heading straight to my ball with the other walker heading towards his. When I'm in a cart with a friend, there is constant chatter usually up to the point when they set up to hit. Once struck, talk  resumes as we praise/deride the shot. Rinse/repeat as we hit the next ball. Walking yesterday, I felt a bit isolated. Not in a bad way but it was a very different social experience.

I will say the time alone probably made me focus more on golf (unfortunately it didn't show on my score). It also left me with some esoteric feeling that I had 'accomplished more'. I imagine this drives most of the above dialogue.

I'm surprised people don't make the argument 'sure he's a scratch golfer riding but if he was forced to walk...'. Kind of like the whole Drew Breese/dome thing.

Edited by pktaske

1 hour ago, pktaske said:

I could not disagree with this enough. I walked yesterday and while I found it enjoyable, I had to constantly be on the move to keep up with the carts. I was always heading straight to my ball with the other walker heading towards his. When I'm in a cart with a friend, there is constant chatter usually up to the point when they set up to hit. Once struck, talk  resumes as we praise/deride the shot. Rinse/repeat as we hit the next ball. Walking yesterday, I felt a bit isolated. Not in a bad way but it was a very different social experience.

I will say the time alone probably made me focus more on golf (unfortunately it didn't show on my score). It also left me with some esoteric feeling that I had 'accomplished more'. I imagine this drives most of the above dialogue.

I'm surprised people don't make the argument 'sure he's a scratch golfer riding but if he was forced to walk...'. Kind of like the whole Drew Breese/dome thing.

As I noted earlier, there are definitely instances where carts will be faster, and those include singles in a cart, and doubles who aren't duffers.  Since I golf at public courses with mostly hackers like myself, I find that the folks in carts generally go no faster than me walking.  As for which is more conducive to chatter, based on a foursome I normally play with that walks nine once a week and takes carts for 18 another time during the week (though I walk either way generally), there is more talk among the group when walking.  But I can see where 2 in a cart, seeing as how you are stuck with each other for much of the round, could chat it up more that two walkers who have to head to separate sides of the fairway after each shot.

On 11/14/2020 at 9:52 PM, deadsolid...shank said:

The two I had weren’t high dollar ones. $1500 and $2500 if I remember. But some of the guys have ones that are pushing up towards $10,000. Our small area has two cart dealers and at least a couple independent guys that fix and do routine maintenance on them. They go to the course and pick them up and then return them when done. 

I know for me, I liked having my own. I always had a few essentials stored in it.  But I think the biggest factor was having a windshield and cart cover. Always ready if weather cropped up. 

Most of the people at my muni buy their carts used.  Like you, they range in the $1500-$2500 range.  I know of a few folks who bought brand new ones.  One cost $6000 and it's quite plain.  Others have bought much larger ones for a lot more money.  There are also two or three mechanics in town who service them.  

• Like 1