How Necessary Are Caddies On Long Bandon Trip?????

BG5

Gents,

Getting ready for my first Bandon Trip in June and I am very excited.  I have wanted to make this trip for over a decade and finally will be able to make it happen.  In reality I probably wont get back out to Bandon again for another decade so I decided to go BIG and golf for 6 days.  I am 40 years old and am in good shape but playing golf for 6 straight days might be a bit of a challenge.  The question I have is in regards to fatigue and if taking a caddie is highly recomended or if I can pass.  I dont really care about what I shoot or advice on how to play a hole....my biggest concern is conserving energy so caddie is very tempting.  I do tee it forward and will play from tees under 6000 yards for all courses so that should help.  At first I wanted to take a caddie for all rounds except the par 3 but that comes to a grand total of $1200 which is a lot of cash.  I might just bite the bullet but I did walk Sand Valley this year and played 53 holes in a day without a caddie and felt pretty good.  Now if I had to do that for 6 straight days it might be a different story.  Should I just bite the bullet and get a caddie to save energy or possibly take a caddie for the first round each day and pull the cart my second round????  Just trying to get some opinions on guys who have done a trip this long....  Here is my schedule....

Day 1 - Bandon Trails

Day 2 - Pacific Dunes & Old Mac

Day 3 - Sheep Ranch & Bandon Dunes

Day 4 - Pacific Dunes & Bandon Preserve

Day 5 - Sheep Ranch & Old Mac

Day 6 - Bandon Dunes & Bandon Trails

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

If you don't care about score or advice, it might make sense to just carry your own bag or get a pull cart. If you get a caddie for half of your rounds you'll likely benefit more using them for the second round each day.

You didn't ask this but it's your first trip and if you don't mind a suggestion, consider changing your course order so you play each course in the morning and afternoon. They could play very differently.

• Like 1

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (34)

Fully agree with the above ^^ regarding taking a caddie for the afternoon if you're going to do some and not all of the rounds. And the pull carts at Bandon are a good way to save energy for the rounds without a caddie.

All that being said for a bucket list trip that you've been thinking about for a decade and may not do again for another long while what's another $1,200? I do say that as the brother of a Bandon caddie who likes to see him and the rest of the loopers stay busy.  In my trips to Bandon I've had 5 really good caddies and one that was only okay; I think they add to the experience, take your mind off anything other than playing and soaking in the atmosphere and are worth the expense.

Also - as it sounds like you may be going solo taking a caddie gives you someone to talk to, take pictures/videos etc. Again, my experience has shown me that if you want more solitude they will also leave you to it as you take in the views and holes, but provide stories, advice, etc as engaged.

If you're debating which courses specifically to use a caddy on, without a doubt (in my opinion) Old Mac and Trails. Looking at your schedule, it would make the most sense since you're playing those two tracks in the PM, with Trails being the last round of your trip. I say OM and Trails just for the fact that OM can punish you (the worst) if you put the ball in the wrong spots and Trails is a very long hike (but incredible).

I'm 31 and walked 7 rounds carrying with no issues aside from my feet, which I just soaked in ice water a couple of nights.

Ultimately, it's all about your preference and how in-depth you're wanting the experience to be! Personally, I went without a caddie because I wanted to "call my own shots" during the trip since it was my first time. I wanted to find my way around the course and reward/defeat myself if I read a putt wrong.

I do agree with jackbauer though - see if you can move tee times around so you get a look of each course in the AM/PM, like you did with BD. You'll thank yourself if you avoid playing Old Mac both rounds in the afternoon; wind might be brutal!

Edited by Lefty_89

Depending on what time you arrive on property the first day, I would highly recommend just doing Preserve. With Trails being the longest walk on property, it has a chance of wearing you out for Day 2, especially if you had a long/busy travel day the day before. Preserve will give you the perfect intro to Bandon and get you familiar with the turf, also. Or even just playing Bandon Dunes the first day instead. Just my opinion!

Edited by Lefty_89

How necessary?  IMO - the way Dunes courses are configured, a caddy is are about as important to a good round as a caddy is to playing St. Andrews. 

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Given your schedule, a good option is to use a caddy for the first round on each of the courses.  That is $500 or so.  Reevaluate after that.  

A couple of considerations:

1.  There is a good chance you will get a drencher that will sideline you for a half a day or a even the full day.  Yeah, you will play some rain, but it can rain to the point where you are driven off the course.

2. The pull carts add very little to your fatigue factor. They are efficient and easy to use. 

3.  If you don't get rained out and you are in decent shape, you are likely to get more mentally burned out, than physically.  That is a monster itinerary.

Can't wait for your trip report.

• Like 1

If you did ok doing 54 at sand valley you’ll be able to handle 36 a day a bandon. The caddies are a nice luxury but not strictly necessary. I agree with the suggestions to get one for one round a day to save energy. You can also try doing a half set for the rounds you carry yourself, saves a lot of weight and energy, and it’s a fun shot making experience.  If you’re getting fatigued after a few days you can always cut down to one round a day, but you already kind of have a rest day with the Pac/Preserve combo.  Caddies or not, fatigue or not, you’ll have a blast.

You guys made alot of really good points about my trip next June.  I am with a group of 16 guys so I dont think we really  have the option to switch tee times around as they were almost already booked for next June and with our group the size that it is we are kind of stuck.

You all made some great suggestions but after thinking about it again you guys are right.  I waited a decade for this trip and who knows when I will get back so I am just gonna pay the extra $1200 and get a caddie for all rounds.  I think it will help me conserve energy and it will also help me play better out there.  I am a pretty social guy who likes to BS so I think it will add to the experience.  I have only had a caddie a few times in my life so I might as well live "high on the hog" for a week in Bandon 🙂

Cheers!

BG5

• Like 2

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

@BG5 I've gone twice, the first time I was double bagged and split a caddie for part of the trip and then went on my own for the 2nd half as they didn't have anybody for me. 2nd time carried my whole way. My last trip was about a year ago, and I'm a year behind you, also in pretty good shape, so I was 38 at the time. I did 4 rounds over 3 days on my last trip, all carrying as I normally do, and was a bit tired by the end, and our schedule was not nearly as demanding as yours. Some of that could have been imbibing a bit much in the bourbon with my buddies though.

Beyond the endurance factor, I'd think for some of the courses it wouldn't hurt to have a caddie just to know the right line on some of the holes, especially if your first time. Some holes are all right in front of you, others the caddie will tell you to take this line or or that, or aim for a part of the green which you never would have anticipated, and the hole plays out better for you. You could also take the word of a caddie within your group, but within reason so as to not take him away from his player, and slip him 20-40 after the round. On Bandon Dunes most is in front of you and it's an easy walk, only a few points of insight are needed IMO. Pacific is a little bit trickier with insight being more helpful at times, but is still a pretty flat walk. Trails has some more up and down and has a mix of holes that are clear and some that need insight on. Old Mac I've only done once and from what I remember could use some insight. Sheep Ranch I have not yet played, but from what I gather thus far is a need for a caddie. Preserve has no need for a caddie IMO as it's short and should just be a chill and have fun kind of round.

IMO I'd use the caddie for the first time around on the courses, and consider walking or using the rickshaw the second time around depending on how comfortable you are playing those courses and how you feel physically.

Good luck and have fun. It's a blast and I cannot wait to return.

Edited by VNutz

@BG5 couple of local guys went recently, check this  recap out: https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1537330-mddcva-golfers-twelve-monkeys-mental-divergence/?do=findComment&comment=23206915

"Caddie:  If you are doing this trip, spring for a caddie.  Really helps knowing where you are going and where you want to hit.  You could spend 5 minutes on every tee box looking at the yardage book to figure out where you want to hit your you tee shot, what bunkers or bushes you can carry, etc.   And worth it just for the green reading and where on the gree to be, especially on OldMac. No, caddies aren’t cheap, but the caddies are so good and make it so enjoyable.  If you need a recommendation – Bro Puckett.  We had him all 4 days and he made the trip infinitely better.  He’s been there since just after the first course opened in ’99.  Younger guy, very friendly, very knowledgeable and learned very quickly the kind of help we wanted and needed, and what we didn’t.  But every caddy we got paired up with was spectacular.  Just do it."

Edited by Puppetmaster

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Sounds like you are going with a caddie, which in my opinion is the right move given the amount of golf you're playing.  I usually try to do 4 days of 36 when I'm there, and have done it with and without a caddie.  I'm in decent shape and the four days is a lot, I'm wiped by the end.  If money were no object, I would take a caddie every time.  The Ricksha carts that the resort offers are great and the fact that you can roll them across the green is also a huge plus, but it still doesn't compare to having someone carry your bag in terms of saving your energy.

I think if anything gets underrated/overlooked before your first trip to Bandon, it's the firmness of the turf, both in terms of the effect on your feet/legs and iron play.  Being in shape and having the right footwear will make for a much more enjoyable time.  

8 hours ago, desaille said:

Bring some chapstick and lotion for your face 

wind burn and alligator lips are real 

Caddie is a good choice. So are chapstick and sunscreen. Only thing I would add is some gold bond powder...for the boys. Trust me on this and have fun.

• Like 1

TM 2020 SIM, Aldila Rogue Silver 60 r
TM 2020 SIM 3w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM 2021 SIM2 5w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM M4 5-PW, TT XP95 S300 
TM EF 47* 52* & 56*, KBS  610, XFT 60*, KBS Hi Rev
TM CB Spider Mallet 

I'll only add that you need to get a good caddie, so search for some recommendations.  I've been exposed to 6 caddies at Bandon (carrying my bag or someone in my group) and 2 were excellent, 2 were average, and 2 were bad.  It's not a guarantee that you'll get a good one and I was frustrated to pay $120 for a bag carrier who didn't know much about golf.  

On 11/12/2020 at 11:09 AM, Slippin_Jimmy said:

I think if anything gets underrated/overlooked before your first trip to Bandon, it's the firmness of the turf, both in terms of the effect on your feet/legs and iron play.  Being in shape and having the right footwear will make for a much more enjoyable time.  

Couple of great points here that are often overlooked. Another one is that a lot of the courses even though they are "dunes course" have a ton of sneaky elevation changes going up to the next tee box. Even on BD. Doing that in crappy weather while carrying? No thanks.

I do sometimes wonder if people making the non caddie suggestions have played there before. Could you carry 36 a day? Sure. Could you carry or push for 36 a day 5 days in a row? Best of luck is all I will say. I will have pushed around 80 rounds this year and there's no way I would have wanted to do 36 x 4 on my own.

I think people sometimes mix in "do I need a caddie to point out lines and stuff" with "do I need a caddie to just make it easier on myself". If you are going to go all the way there and spend all that money - why wouldn't you want to go out of your way to conserve as much energy as possible? I dont get it.

And sorry but comparing the terrain there to the Old Course - having played both - is a joke. They are absolutely nothing alike.

• Like 1

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

On 11/12/2020 at 8:07 PM, Swingem said:

Caddie is a good choice. So are chapstick and sunscreen. Only thing I would add is some gold bond powder...for the boys. Trust me on this and have fun.

Definitely some Gold Bond or Body Glide - absolute requirement.

• Like 2

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

3 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Definitely some Gold Bond or Body Glide - absolute requirement.

+100 on this! Chamois Butt'r is probably my #1 "no matter what, don't forget to pack this" item for the feet, nether region and any area that could potentially chafe/blister. They have little one-use packs which you can throw in your bag in case of emergency. Not sure if the resort offers this if you forget it, whereas you can get chapstick/sunscreen/ibuprofen at every shop and turn stand.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great points by everyone!  I am just gonna spring the extra $$$$ and go with a caddie for all rounds.  Who knows when I will get back to Bandon and I might as well live it up!  2020 has been a pain for all of us so time to have some fun in 2021 🙂

• Like 2

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

On 11/11/2020 at 8:11 AM, BG5 said:

Gents,

Here is my schedule....

Day 1 - Bandon Trails

Day 2 - Pacific Dunes & Old Mac

Day 3 - Sheep Ranch & Bandon Dunes

Day 4 - Pacific Dunes & Bandon Preserve

Day 5 - Sheep Ranch & Old Mac

Day 6 - Bandon Dunes & Bandon Trails

11 rounds in 6 days would be way too much golf for me.  If I go back to back 36 hole days by the second round of day 2 focusing on the shots becomes too difficult.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I did 36 x 4 this year- mid 40s with a recurring bad back and bum shoulder. We made it through just fine. If I went back I think I would do 5 days, 36x2 bookended with a day in the middle to play the Preserve and rest.

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

On 11/12/2020 at 7:56 AM, BG5 said:

You guys made alot of really good points about my trip next June.  I am with a group of 16 guys so I dont think we really  have the option to switch tee times around as they were almost already booked for next June and with our group the size that it is we are kind of stuck.

You all made some great suggestions but after thinking about it again you guys are right.  I waited a decade for this trip and who knows when I will get back so I am just gonna pay the extra $1200 and get a caddie for all rounds.  I think it will help me conserve energy and it will also help me play better out there.  I am a pretty social guy who likes to BS so I think it will add to the experience.  I have only had a caddie a few times in my life so I might as well live "high on the hog" for a week in Bandon 🙂

Cheers!

BG5

Good thinking. It's not like you go to Bandon twice a year. Might as well make the most of it. 

36 a day at Bandon is easy for multiple days, even without a caddy. You are so excited by good golf, the scenery and the experience that you forget you are walking. 

Personally, I think it is a waste to go to bandon and not play at least 36 a day. The most walkable courses in the US. 

As for caddies. No one mentioned the experience of having a caddie. A caddie is part comic, part historian, part tour guide, part shrink. They are part of the bandon experience. Carrying a bag is only 20% of what they do and how they add to your experience. We always have at least one caddie in the group.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, lchang said:

A side question:  If you plan on using a caddie for every round, there's no need at all to bring your own rangefinder, right?

I would. 

I've had caddies who've forgotten theirs, or batteries died, and was very glad I had packed mine. 

They are so small and lightweight I can't think of a reason not to just bring it. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, lchang said:

A side question:  If you plan on using a caddie for every round, there's no need at all to bring your own rangefinder, right?

I’d always bring it along atleast the first day when you meet your looper and see if he has one. However I find myself using range finders less every time Im there since the wind is the boss. 

and id also always take a looper. Tweaking your back will ruin a trip real quick so its a no brainer for me