2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

July golf vs October golf (mostly applies to cold weather guys...)

MtlJeff

well, my season is over....which means it's time to amuse myself posting on WRX

As a football fan, we have all seen what happens when a bunch of dome-playing fancy boys have to play a playoff game at Lambeau or Gillette stadium. Or soldier field in years the Bears are good. Playing in the cold or snow is almost a different game than playing in a dome

Isn't playing golf in July vs playing golf in October kind of the same? To me it kind of feels that way. You have punched greens, you have cold windy weather where there is far less "stock" shots. You have 3 layers so almost have to swing a bit differently. It's not uncommon to see guys play to like a 3 index in the summer and then finish as a 5 if they play a lot of October rounds. But this isn't the case for everyone

Some people tend to play really well late in the season. it's almost like they are golfer equivalents to having a great running game and defense. 

Do you play well in the cold?  or are you a dome golfer?

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I live in Northern California, so our weather is the envy of every golfer worldwide. We can golf 11 months a year. 

July and August are beautiful, Sep is a little hotter, and October usually comes with the last heat waves of a long summer. 

Nov cools down to a perfect golf weather all day long. 

We don't get cold until Dec, and our "cold" probably means "normal" to the people up North. 

Californians in general don't handle the cold and wet weather too well, so i'd say our performance drop considerably during winter time (the longggg 1.5 months of it). 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

well, my season is over....which means it's time to amuse myself posting on WRX

As a football fan, we have all seen what happens when a bunch of dome-playing fancy boys have to play a playoff game at Lambeau or Gillette stadium. Or soldier field in years the Bears are good. Playing in the cold or snow is almost a different game than playing in a dome

Isn't playing golf in July vs playing golf in October kind of the same? To me it kind of feels that way. You have punched greens, you have cold windy weather where there is far less "stock" shots. You have 3 layers so almost have to swing a bit differently. It's not uncommon to see guys play to like a 3 index in the summer and then finish as a 5 if they play a lot of October rounds. But this isn't the case for everyone

Some people tend to play really well late in the season. it's almost like they are golfer equivalents to having a great running game and defense. 

As I’ve gotten older I’ll pass on playing in steady rain, otherwise elements are part of the game. Turtleneck and stocking cap and wind pants = fun! Wind any time. Played in steady 30 mph with gusts last weekend - hit the two longest drives I’ve hit at my course in 25+ years, by a bit. Clubs now away until spring - snow, sleet, 20s. 

It’s a mixed bag for me. Thanks to thinner, warmer layering these days, it’s easy enough to stay warm in anything down to freezing without it having too much of an impact on the swing. So I don’t mind winter golf too much in terms of temperature but the ego does take a bit of a battering when I remember my carry distance is a lot less than my overall distance in the summer months.

downside for winter is that we have to use fairway mats again from Nov-March. And that has a massive impact on chipping for a few rounds come April time. 
But scoring is generally easier as my home course is a tight, heathland layout that plays a lot differently when you can actually play a long iron at a green and expect it to stop.

the honest answer for me is that I find lots of things I like about winter golf when I’m playing in July, and the opposite is also true in January 

4 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

Just looking at my index over the past season I was about 1.5 strokes better at the end of July vs end of October.

I'll chalk most of that up to conditions. Colder, windier, course is softer so plays longer, etc. 

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

4 hours ago, caniac6 said:

October golf in North Carolina might be the best of the entire year. 

NC golf October through April is my favorite, but October and November is the best 2 months.

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

I wish it weren’t the case, but I definitely seem to play better when it’s cool, windy, and the end of the season is in sight.

Wind and colder temps help me remember that I play my best when I club up and keep it slow and smooth

The end of the season causes a shift from expecting too much of myself and experimenting with my swing to enjoying the last moments in the sun with a calm dignity and a clear head. This also leads to better play. 

Cooler temps also get some of the groups I play in out of their carts and back on foot. That’s a big help because I’m no particular fan of golf carts. 

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 1

Playing in Chicago along the lake front can be a real mixed bag in November and December. I played Wednesday (45 deg, sunny and west wind).  Looking back at my rounds over the past few years, I've been able to play a few rounds in December and January each year. My average scores do tend to go up a few strokes (July compared to Nov/Dec) but I feel its more to do with several extra layers of clothes plus expected loss of distance due to lower temperatures. I enjoy the fall / winter golf largely due to the fact there are less people on course and I can enjoy the walk!

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

Upstate NY'er here. Some of my rounds in the past 3-4 weeks have been in the 50's (while some have been in the high 60's even). Other than having to club up a little, and use what I like to call "leaf balls", I don't mind the conditions too much. 

I do think I play a little better in the warmer weather though. I think when I have to layer up to keep warm, the swing doesn't feel as "loose". 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Historically i would usually play down to a 0-1.0 in the midsummer , and then would finish the season as a 2-2.5. I play a lot, so i usually get in 20 rounds in the cold weather, which can hurt the index. 

But the past couple of years i have played better in the cold. I am not sure why. it could be that since i don't go away in the winter my game just takes 4-5 months to really round into form. or it could be as others have said that you just play simpler golf, don't swing out of your shoes etc

I also wonder if the slower greens at that time of year make the short game easier. 

This year i am finishing the season as a 0.6, which is my lowest end of season handicap ever. 3 of my best 5 scores this year were in October

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I'm absolutely fine with saying I'm a dome golfer as far as scores go. My last couple of rounds were during some very weird weather here (75° in November!) and I was scoring pretty well. My handicap went from 17.3 to 16.8, only used 1 mulligan per round. Granted it was 23 holes so very small sample size, but if I can keep myself from regressing too much in the off-season I'm going to be very excited for the next golf season. 

I mean, I'll be excited no matter what because I'll be playing golf, but I'll be excited to hopefully play some good golf too.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

More of a low ball hitter and like to hit punch shots, runners, flighted shots, etc.  I like to play in wind, cold, rain (hopefully not all once), so I tend to score well relative to the conditions.  I look at it as a challenge.  As for the gear, it helps to have good stuff that isn't restricting (other than having more on).  Played yesterday at the original Blackwolf course it was ~33-37*, felt colder with 10-15 winds.  Good clean fun!

Niagara Peninsula here.  Played some cold weather rounds in October under my usual no go zone of 50°.  I enjoyed it.  Better performance wear seems to be the ticket for cold weather golf.  Conditions have been more favourable in November by a wide margin so far.

I can't say that I played great, but I was well within my usual range and probably was more consistent than earlier in the year.  AS a low ball hitter, the typical fall weather conditions aren't really a detriment.  Having less fiery greens has probably helped with the short game which offsets any issues with punched/shaggy greens impacting putting.

Edited by scomac2002
  • Like 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I'm in PA.  I stink in all weather equally, but love playing "off season" because I often have the course to myself practically.  With a hot cup of tea or cocoa on my push cart, there's not much I enjoy more than walking the course in relative isolation.  I'll play until the it snows, and will be back out as soon as the snow melts and the course is ready again.  I do have my limits on temp, and typically won't play if it's below freezing, but if the day is calm enough, a few degrees below that is often ok.  If I was a decent player, I might find cold-weather golf more frustrating, so perhaps that's the silver lining in not being very good.

On 11/12/2020 at 9:33 AM, MtlJeff said:

Historically i would usually play down to a 0-1.0 in the midsummer , and then would finish the season as a 2-2.5. I play a lot, so i usually get in 20 rounds in the cold weather, which can hurt the index. 

But the past couple of years i have played better in the cold. I am not sure why. it could be that since i don't go away in the winter my game just takes 4-5 months to really round into form. or it could be as others have said that you just play simpler golf, don't swing out of your shoes etc

I also wonder if the slower greens at that time of year make the short game easier. 

This year i am finishing the season as a 0.6, which is my lowest end of season handicap ever. 3 of my best 5 scores this year were in October

I think you have probably hit on what happens with me.  Don't take winter trips, and the four to five month off-season isn't conducive to low scoring in the spring.

I have an additional positive factor, my ancestors come from northern Finland.  I've always had a personal furnace, though it's not quite as effective in my mid-to-late 50s as it was 20 years ago.  The cooler weather doesn't bother me as much as it does some golfers.  Helps add a bit of extra length to the season here.  🙂

Amusingly, for many years, I found I would start hitting the ball farther in cooler temps.  I think that was for the same as you mentioned; my swingspeed would merely be rounding into shape when October came around.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Played my first “cool weather” round in Denver recently. Definitely stiffened me up and will have to plan on some more stretches and such to keep my distance. Looking forward to some winter golf down here in Louisiana, though I know that isn’t “winter” to some folks. Haha. 

Callaway Mavrik Driver

Titleist TS2 4w

Titleist TS2 7w

Mizuno MP20 MB 4-W

Vokey SM8 50*

Vokey SM8 55*

Taylormade HiToe 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X5 

I'm actually thinking I might head down this weekend to play a course that I used to play a lot when I was first starting to play golf. I bring it up in this topic because I used to go out and play this course quite a bit when the weather got colder, partially because it was one of the few courses that stayed open year-round.

It's not a great course, conditions-wise. But I have a lot of nice memories walking it by myself, enjoying the peace and quiet. It's only supposed to reach highs in the low 50's this weekend, but that's perfect walking weather IMO

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

My course stays open year round so we're playing just about every weekend if the white stuff isn't flying.  Come November 1st they shut down all the tee boxes and move the teeing ground up to around the senior/womens tees so it actually adds some fun to the round.  Playing from the Blues in the summer to teeing off from the reds if not further up makes for a fun time when the ball isn't flying as far.  All par 3's are around 100-120, par 4's nothing over 400, some as short as 215, and par 5's come in at 425-475.  Shooting even 72 feels like shooting 90. 

My game deteriorates rapidly after mid Sept or so. Number of reasons - my after work league ends, so that's one fewer round played. Starts getting dark earlier so less chance to go to the range after work. Also I think my mentality just changes, as in "well the season's almost over, no need to really try any more!" 🙂 I'll still have a good round once in a while, but scoring average is probably 3-4 shots higher.

On 11/13/2020 at 10:03 PM, Roejye said:

I'm absolutely fine with saying I'm a dome golfer as far as scores go. My last couple of rounds were during some very weird weather here (75° in November!) and I was scoring pretty well. My handicap went from 17.3 to 16.8, only used 1 mulligan per round. Granted it was 23 holes so very small sample size, but if I can keep myself from regressing too much in the off-season I'm going to be very excited for the next golf season. 

I mean, I'll be excited no matter what because I'll be playing golf, but I'll be excited to hopefully play some good golf too.

I found “My handicap went from 17.3 to 16.8, only used 1 mulligan per round” absolutely hilarious.  How many mulligans were you using?  

In New England it can get pretty cold in the winter but after layering on some clothes you don't really feel it too much.  You have to take the attitude that you're out there to have some fun  and get some practice and just deal with the odd bounces, lost balls and mud balls you can get this time of year.  For me it's as simple as I still want to play golf and enjoy the quiet when a lot of people stay home instead.  Sure it's better playing conditions in the summer, but playing a peaceful round without any delays is pretty nice too.

Oregon here, we get to play year round but you better have some good rain gear. I think the cold/winter teaches me more about my game. We already are one of the worst locations in the country for ball flight but add in the rain and no roll, yeesh. But it does teach you what your carry yardages are. Also can’t putt from the fringe anymore and any chip/pitch shot even remotely far and you are flying the mud divot 20 yards while your ball goes 5. 

and we love it, good rain gear, a pair of winter golf shoes, rain gloves and a bucket had and life is good. Well except for days like this week when we get an inch of rain in a day.

The winter is silly season. Can still play golf but lots of lift clean and place, temps sometimes at freezing or rain pouring down etc.

Not ideal conditions this time of year, but I typically play about the same. Rounds are more mellow - they all feel like practice rounds, with soft conditions you lose distance, but also have more control over your ball. LCP makes chipping way easier - no bad lies. 

I find everything kind of equals out and my game is different but scores about the same.

8 hours ago, mallrat said:

Oregon here, we get to play year round but you better have some good rain gear. I think the cold/winter teaches me more about my game. We already are one of the worst locations in the country for ball flight but add in the rain and no roll, yeesh. But it does teach you what your carry yardages are. Also can’t putt from the fringe anymore and any chip/pitch shot even remotely far and you are flying the mud divot 20 yards while your ball goes 5. 

and we love it, good rain gear, a pair of winter golf shoes, rain gloves and a bucket had and life is good. Well except for days like this week when we get an inch of rain in a day.

Ball striking has to be on point as well or it's a face full of mud.  

I prefer playing in October, the course gets firm and fast where I play in July, and the rough can be treacherous that time of year. 

Later in the year it’s softer and the rough is down, which suits my inability to hit a fairway. 

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

When and if the winter rains come brings with it the shot changes needed for wet conditions. He finds he has to pick the ball more with just about everything. Long shots from a mucky stance are the hardest. Tend to play them like bunker shots with a quiet lower body and taking more club. Not his fav time but youre out there, so how bad can it be? Looking forward to the Mens Club tournaments this year.  Need to blow up his handicap. k/d.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3