Would Ya Go or Say No???

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I knew if you responded, these would be your thoughts, lololūüĎä ¬† As I've stated prior, I've kept notebooks of my golf, starting in 1984, when I decided to "get serious" about the game(I was a

Who would have thought that our text exchange¬†¬†the other day would‚Äôve spurred this on... ūüôā ¬† I completely sympathize with your point of view. ¬†After everything I‚Äôve experienced¬†¬†in both prof

I hope that this post finds you all well, healthy and ready for a Great, though unique, weekend of Golf!!   The purpose of this thread is that in perusing the various articles on my feed(I a

Was lucky to go and spectate last year. Didn’t have any desire to play Augusta before I went and had even less after seeing it, at least from the normal tees (and there’s not a lot of tee options lol). 

Too long, fairways too tightly mown, greens potentially silly. Quite happy to leave Augusta to the pros, and I speak as someone who played and enjoyed almost all the British Open courses (although Birkdale was far too difficult).

• Like 1

Great to hear from you Richard. I look forward to the occasions when you drop a story or two on us. 

I can understand you declining. The situation reminds me of a few competitive tennis players I've known. They completely quit playing when their bodies could no longer grant them the performance they'd grown accustom to in competition. Almost like their expectations couldn't be altered enough to gain any further enjoyment.

Speaking as a golfer with a tenuous grasp on the lower single digits, I'd play, but I'd be bunting it around to avoid making a hash of things with wild tee balls. I'm certain being there in the company of solid players with previous Augusta experience would have my nerves on full tilt. I would be playing to break 85, not playing to magically beat my index.   

• Like 1

I definitely would go, with the understanding that everybody knows who you are and your abilities. If I know somebody is a 25 handicap I expect them to play like a 25 handicap, and likewise a scratch golfer.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

2 minutes ago, hybrid25 said:

I definitely would go, with the understanding that everybody knows who you are and your abilities. If I know somebody is a 25 handicap I expect them to play like a 25 handicap, and likewise a scratch golfer.

I can understand that, but I’m looking at the question in terms of regardless of ability, are you going to hit one or two good shots worth keeping in the memory bank. For me, doubtful. 

And if I’m being brutally honest, ANGC is not in a great area is it. It’s not like driving around St Andrews or Monterey or Pinehurst soaking up the golf atmosphere, which kind of eases the pressure to perform on the course.

At Augusta if you play badly you’re just going to end up dribbling into your beer in the local hooters. 

• Like 1

I would go if I thought it would be enjoyable. If I had a hard time gripping the club, and had serious balance problems, I don't think I would enjoy it. That being said, if I could walk, or ride with a great group, and chip and putt, I would be there with bells on. You have been around the game long enough to not get in anyone's way. I think that if I could go, I'd never want to leave.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, dbleag said:

Would that be Tom O'Brien?

Indeed, haha

Thanks for respondingūüĎä

My BestūüćĽ

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

If I had zero physical limitations I would go. Golf buddies realize, understand and accept the talent of all in their group. 

However, if I were physically unable to play I would most likely drop out to allow someone else to play. It would absolutely kill me!! And I'd probably be drunk for a month. 

• Like 2

Though I am not in either stated category, just a measly 3-4 now, best 2, I think I comprehend what happened. 

Not withstanding what Augusta means to golf, if I am playing ANY really good well kept track, I always want to play my best.  I want my execution and memory of events to be pure.  If that isn't possible, for what ever the reason, I would pass and do so with a clear mind.

• Like 2
  • Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2¬†16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i TENSEI AV White AM(2)¬†"S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW TENSEI AV White AM(2)¬†"S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 TENSEI AV White AM(2)¬†"S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1 or AVX

If it was me and the current state of my game, I would probably go. I'd hack it up I'm sure, but you'd get an experience few people can claim. I'm also assuming that someone else would be picking up the tab.

As a 25 capper or someone with limited physical ability, it would really come down to who these other players in the group are and how accommodating they would be of my game and/or limitations. If they invited me along, I assume they would be gracious and I would do everything in my power to accommodate their play.

Given all the talk about how difficult Augusta is, how do the actual members play that course? I can't imagine that all (or even many) of the members are at Jeff Knox level, and they somehow manage to hack the ball around, apparently. Does anyone know Condolleezza Rice's handicap (she's the only member besides Knox that I can name)? 

How would your run-of-the-mill 25 capper be any different? 

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Depends on why I was a 25 vs my prime. If a similar situation to yours I‚Äôd probably decline, but say my daughter and I were invited and she could play and I was able to¬†tag along - I‚Äôd be all over it to enjoy her enjoying it. Tough one and when I started reading your post (seems like 1978 ūüėČ) I thought it would be a no brainer ‚Äúof course‚ÄĚ, but by the end I got it.¬†

Here’s hoping you are invited again AND feel like you’ve got a golf game (which I assume is a win even without an invite).

All my best!

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

I'm all in. For only chance to play said course I will be playing. Maybe won't be calling it exactly that, but I will show up and have a good time. And take everything, and I do mean everything, in. "That'll be a retee thanks."

• Like 1

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

I would go!

I eat some ‚Äúedibles‚ÄĚ first! Bring a flask of grappa and stuff a couple of slices of cold pizza in my bag. I sneak some grappa and pizza to the caddie.

Then, I swing forward the fences! I stink but I can get a hold of some drives and approaches and just the 

Sheet beauty of watching my ball sail through the air with Augusta as the background would be awesome. 

Then, I assume I’m invited for some food after? I eat and regale Bill and Warren with tales of my round over some hot chocolate and donuts. 

• Haha 1

Hell, I'd go if I had to crawl around. In the same vein, I swore I'd never pay $690 Can. to play Pebble Beach. While in California last march to visit my younger daughter, we had to cancel her wedding reception in San Fran. due to the mayor and Covid-19 killing all such events.

We went down to a beach house I had rented in Santa Cruz and behold my three kids and wife ponied up for the round at Pebble. So, a bucket list dream became a reality, and dumb a** that I am, I left my golf shoes in Santa Cruz and played in sneakers, even birdied the 17th with a four hybrid to 18".  I played with a guy and his two sons who had flown in from Scotland just to play Pebble.  Heavy money but they thought it was worth the tariff.

• Like 2
Cobra F9 10.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
Cobra F9 16.0, UST Helium 49 A Flex
TXG Custom SIM Max 7-wood, Accra 140 2.0 M2
Sonartec MD 23* Hybrid, UST Irod A Flex 
TXG Custom, Mizuno JPX 919 Hotmetal 6-pw, "B" heads, 1* up, + 1/2", UST Recoil ESX 460 R, Soft Stepped Once
Mizuno S18 50/07, KBS Tour 110 R
Ping Glide 1.0 55*, Accra 90i R
Callaway MD4 58*, DG Tour Issue 115
Ping Karsten TR Pal, 35"

Ok I’m not a 25 but also not the 4 listed on my profile anymore either (I should change that).  I’m probably a 10, but with some notice I could quickly get to the 4 or 5 range again. I had the same discussion recently with my boss, though much more hypothetical than yours as neither of us have an invite pending. I said I would never go to play it once, but I’d go/do anything/pay anything to play it twice. I’m going to fudge up that first round beyond belief and I simply cannot live with that forever. But if we could play again the next day I’m certain I’d figure out a way to play reasonably and leave with fond memories forever. So Richard I’m kind of with you - physically it sounds like one round might even be too much, I wouldn’t want my perception of the place to change and watch every Masters in perpetuity thinking about the roll hook I hit off 2, the bladed bunker shot on 12 or the double double bogey bogey finish. 

• Like 1

I would bet they have some old guys down there that were good players at one time that now have a fairly high cap. I would also bet there are some pretty sketchy vanity caps down there , too. If I were a 25, I’d go down and beat it around, and have a great time. When it comes right down to it, it’s just a golf course.

• Like 1

Good friends know your game and where it was and what you've been through

I'd go to see the course and buildings and for the experience ... and needling ... and comraderie

To be fair, it would be driving me nuts playing it knowing I wasn't near my best, but I would appease my mind with thoughts of how I would of handled each hole when I was a tourney +

Semi-related a good friend of mine has the full swing yips and is ~ 60.  His cap now runs 19-26.  This guy when he was 19 got a full ride to Texas as one of the Top Canadian Am's and was a SOLID +2.  He'd go.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w Diamana Blue B 80s : G400 7w GD PM902s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Matrix HQ3x : Apex 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

6 hours ago, caniac6 said:

I would go if I thought it would be enjoyable. If I had a hard time gripping the club, and had serious balance problems, I don't think I would enjoy it. That being said, if I could walk, or ride with a great group, and chip and putt, I would be there with bells on. You have been around the game long enough to not get in anyone's way. I think that if I could go, I'd never want to leave.

this is what i first thought ... you can go and walk the course, and hit some memorable shots ... maybe play a par 3 ... wedge shots on 13 & 15 ... tiger's chip ... jack's putt on 16 ... etc ... i think you'd have a wonderful time and have the same fond memories ... and a bit of fun inventing some ... golf is sublime, in all its forms ... 

• Like 3

AT 68, after shoulder surgery, still working, terribly out of shape, and can hardly hit the ball some weeks, I would take a pass.  I play at a local muni with 3 nine holes, and once a year I come close, or break par, on the short nine (2950 yards).  IE: I am distanced challenged.

Now, having said that, I walked every hole with Tom Watson in the last round in 1981 at the Masters,  great memories.  I've also played Pine Valley, Cypress Point, Pebble, The Old Course, Muirfield, Carnoustie (not fun), Turnberry, Seminole, Jupiter Hills, Riviera, San Francisco Golf Club, Olympic, Pinehurst 2, The Upper Cascades and probably a few others that I can't remember.  Broke 80 at PV and PB, members tees - good for my natural ability.  My college golf course in western Mass is one of the most fun golf courses ever, but I can have a lot of fun on just about any golf course now.  'Cause, i enjoy hitting the ball, finding it, and trying to get it in the hole.  Played some pretty good hickory golf 8 years ago in Birmingham and Pinehurst (Mid Pines, Pine Needles).

10 years ago I would have jumped at the opportunity.  But at some point, I realized that playing great courses has passed me by.  Don't want to embarrass myself, or slow down a nice group.

• Like 2
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I disagree on Carnoustie

You need a sick mind and love to be humbled with some carnage

I didn't break 80 and was under par thru the first 5, damn single malt(s)

15 hours ago, gvogel said:

AT 68, after shoulder surgery, still working, terribly out of shape, and can hardly hit the ball some weeks, I would take a pass.  I play at a local muni with 3 nine holes, and once a year I come close, or break par, on the short nine (2950 yards).  IE: I am distanced challenged.

Now, having said that, I walked every hole with Tom Watson in the last round in 1981 at the Masters,  great memories.  I've also played Pine Valley, Cypress Point, Pebble, The Old Course, Muirfield, Carnoustie (not fun), Turnberry, Seminole, Jupiter Hills, Riviera, San Francisco Golf Club, Olympic, Pinehurst 2, The Upper Cascades and probably a few others that I can't remember.  Broke 80 at PV and PB, members tees - good for my natural ability.  My college golf course in western Mass is one of the most fun golf courses ever, but I can have a lot of fun on just about any golf course now.  'Cause, i enjoy hitting the ball, finding it, and trying to get it in the hole.  Played some pretty good hickory golf 8 years ago in Birmingham and Pinehurst (Mid Pines, Pine Needles).

10 years ago I would have jumped at the opportunity.  But at some point, I realized that playing great courses has passed me by.  Don't want to embarrass myself, or slow down a nice group.

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w Diamana Blue B 80s : G400 7w GD PM902s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Matrix HQ3x : Apex 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite