Would Ya Go or Say No???

On 11/12/2020 at 2:47 PM, Forged4ever said:

I knew if you responded, these would be your thoughts, lololūüĎä

As I've stated prior, I've kept notebooks of my golf, starting in 1984, when I decided to "get serious" about the game(I was a 3~ at the time), and hopefully I wanted it to¬†replace football for that competitive "fix,"¬†which ended for me with college in 1984, and two years prior to my first Club Championship(1986). These notebooksūüďď(337 in total)¬†covered all relevant practice sessions, lessons with Pete, along with all money games and tournaments. Initially I didn't keep notes on the social aspect of the game however I began noting of my rounds with Sam and other Pros that I got to Play with through my relationship with Pete and I began to keep notes of the social aspect of the game, with my first being¬†when my then BB Partner(1987), and the only non-family member that Sam ever financially staled for a run at the Tour, and we¬†stayed out all night Saturday evening/Sunday morning,¬†celebrating a semifinal win that day against a team from Oakmont¬†and were to Play a team from Fox Chapel GCūü¶ä in the finals that next day(Sunday). He wasn't so much a Mentor as my idiot big Bro, who basically reinforced my sometimes errant behaviorūü§™

We went from the bars to a private "club," which closed at 5:30am, and rolled into the club and to the Mens' lot¬†about 30 minutes later. We were in my sedan, and Chuck bein 6'4", got into the back seat long ways, with the window down and his feet hangin out the far side and I just put my seat back and off into lala land we went. About an hour later, 7:00ish, our Pro rolled in, and having left us at the first bar the evening before about 10:30-11ish, he tickled Chuck's feet and tweaked my nose and we rose, groggy and still 6-7 sheets to the wind, showered in the locker room¬†and though Chuck had extra shirts and slacks in his locker, my locker was empty save for gloves, balls and a few putters, so I bought a new shirt and socks in the Pro Shop, wore the same boxers & slacks from the day/night before¬†and after many cups of coffee‚ėēÔłŹ, off the tee we went shortly after 8:00am.

Chuck vomitedūü§ģ twice that day, both behind trees on the course and I heaved once, though mine was more civil as I made it to the "shack" and rest rooms between 10 green and 11 tee. As an aside, we shut em down on 14 green, which was a good thing, as I don't¬†know that we coulda gone 18, lolol. With these notes I began keeping basically a diary of my life in and around the game, and all activities related to it, both on and off of the course.¬†

The vast majority of the moronic behavior was pre-Maddie, cept for a few occasions with Mr. Daly, and to peruse the notes brings all of the memories back as though the rounds were Played last weekend and the evenings and sometimes mornings after were last Friday & Saturday. 

When I sit back in my recliner, peruse my notes, close my eyes and visualize them, the rounds are still fresh in my mind, the shots as crisp and the putts as true as the day that I hit em, and they make me smile as while I'll never again experience any of those memories, and while I was by no means Elite, like You, Issacbm and others, I was good enough and fortunate enough to Tee it up and tip em back with some amazing peeps, and I got to meet the most amazing woman outside of my Mother and Sis that I've ever known.

To cover those shots, rounds and tourneys with a bunch of for sh*t shots, does less than zero for me. My notebooks are closed, my notes complete. 

I'm good with thatūüĎć

Thanks for responding, keep kickin *ss, and have s great Holiday Season BrothaūüĎä

My Best,

Richsrd 

Hope you sprayed some cologne!!! Nothing worse than having the night before all over your clothes. That was in the days of smoke filled bars too. 

I've done similar before. Why? Stupidity. Walking to the first tee. Feeling like a**. Trying to pull tees and balls out of my back nearly falling over and throwing up. Then trying to get that dang ball on that tee! Overnight my golf balls were now triangles I guess. 

I've played some great rounds in that situation. Neve threw up on the course. Worse for me and the guys in my group. We were on a golf trip. I closed the town down because apparently I had the keys and had to. Driving an hour to the next course I decided to decorate the side of our rental with McDonalds pancakes..... 

• Like 1
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I knew if you responded, these would be your thoughts, lololūüĎä ¬† As I've stated prior, I've kept notebooks of my golf, starting in 1984, when I decided to "get serious" about the game(I was a

Who would have thought that our text exchange¬†¬†the other day would‚Äôve spurred this on... ūüôā ¬† I completely sympathize with your point of view. ¬†After everything I‚Äôve experienced¬†¬†in both prof

I hope that this post finds you all well, healthy and ready for a Great, though unique, weekend of Golf!!   The purpose of this thread is that in perusing the various articles on my feed(I a

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/13/2020 at 7:59 PM, mizuno player said:

Hope you sprayed some cologne!!! Nothing worse than having the night before all over your clothes. That was in the days of smoke filled bars too. 

I've done similar before. Why? Stupidity. Walking to the first tee. Feeling like a**. Trying to pull tees and balls out of my back nearly falling over and throwing up. Then trying to get that dang ball on that tee! Overnight my golf balls were now triangles I guess. 

I've played some great rounds in that situation. Neve threw up on the course. Worse for me and the guys in my group. We were on a golf trip. I closed the town down because apparently I had the keys and had to. Driving an hour to the next course I decided to decorate the side of our rental with McDonalds pancakes..... 

Interesting stories and life, as I think most of us get involved in but not in these high profiled groupings. I sure miss my youthful days, especially being a medicare man this year, but I am totally satisfied with my mid to high cap friends playing casual golf. For my competitive nature, I enter about 10-15 fun tournaments per year through the local golf organization. I like playing by the rules during these tournies. When it is all said and done, I know my faith is the most important thing of all.

• Like 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Ya know Richard, I've pondered your question for a couple of weeks now brother and even talked to my dad about it while we were fishing. While I've played a lot of good venues over the past four decades I've never been fortunate enough to tee it up at Augusta National. Like you, I've had to turn down an offer to go (just one though) as it was my oldest son's graduation from the U.S. Naval Academy and I wasn't gonna miss that trip to Annapolis!

So back to whether I'd go or not. I guess the real questions are, am I going for my enjoyment, or for the enjoyment of Maddie and whoever else you may know on the trip? I certainly wouldn't want to be the burden or bring everybody else down if I wasn't enjoying myself. Secondly, if I went, would I be satisfied as a non-participant? Because there's no way in hell I'd tee it up against that group. Now having said that, I've yet to play in a group who doesn't need a little rules or unbiased/un-filtered opinion on something whether it's golf, beverage selection, or the price of pork bellies, and Lord knows you've got that in spades! 

So knowing you as I do, unless it prevented Maddie from going (if she really wanted to) I'd say no thank you. 

PS, I love the stories brother, keep 'em coming. I wish I'd have kept a better journal about my my golfing escapades as my recollection ain't what it used to be.

Take care and tell Maddie I said hi, 

Love you both.

Todd

• Like 1

JBeam Bullet 10*                           Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 3WD                    Accra Tour Z RPG 372 M5

Exotics CBX119 5WD                    Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 7WD                          Accra TZ5-85 M5
MIURA CB57 5-7                           MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA Tourney Blade 8-P            MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 33/350gr. 1.5 Beach Prototype (A010656)

it depends on who extended the invitation, I would not want to embarrass myself nor my host, so even though I thing I could scrape it around under triple digits I would probably opt out and ask for a round on the Par 3 course or exchange the round for passes to the next Masters..I have way too much respect for ANGC and all that it stands for just to feed my own ego

• Like 1

Richard, I’ve always enjoyed reading your posts here. I think it’s time for you to turn those notebooks into a novel. I see a best seller in your future.

To answer your question, yes I would accept the invitation. Only partially because your mentor and I share the same name.

Best,

Tom

• Like 3
22 hours ago, 3whacker said:

it depends on who extended the invitation, I would not want to embarrass myself nor my host, so even though I thing I could scrape it around under triple digits I would probably opt out and ask for a round on the Par 3 course or exchange the round for passes to the next Masters..I have way too much respect for ANGC and all that it stands for just to feed my own ego

How is playing a round of golf feeding your ego? After all is said and done it is just another golf course. A bit more exclusive and pretentious than others, but a golf course, nonetheless.

On 12/9/2020 at 10:41 PM, 3whacker said:

Bill Gates, from what I see, is a 25.  Money can’t buy everything ; )

If you’re invited, you should be treated well no matter how you play. I’m sure Augusta has seen tons hack members and guests. 

I would just ‚Äúpick up‚ÄĚ a lot to keep things moving. That‚Äôs the big thing, not slowing things down.¬†Usually when I play with good golfers, they seem to take you under their wing and make you feel comfortable and encourage you.¬†

• Like 1

Richard, I know we've only bantered back-and-forth a bit on here, but I'll reply with a slightly different angle but a similar "feel", if you will.

I'm 38 now, and didn't start playing golf until I was 27. I'm blessed to have great friends who play, and a few who play to a relatively high level. I'm highly competitive, and playing with a handful of -3 to +4 players regularly took me from an 18.x to 10.x in less than a year. Playing that way either makes you get better or just drives you crazy. It's a mix of both for me, really, and being younger and not a parent gave me lots of free time for practice and play. Fast forward a bit... 6 weeks before our daughter was born, I was a high single digit and shot my last round as a non-father. It was my 4th 80 in 10 weeks. To my dismay (at least up til now), I still never broken 80. 

After our daughter was born, golf took a serious back seat. My wife is a very successful hair stylist and works most evenings and all day Saturday, I wrangle The Critter during those times. Our daughter became job #1 and that isn't going to change anytime soon. I found some other more family-time-friendly activities to fill a HUGE void left by golf. I went from playing/practicing 2 or 3 times a week each to playing 5 times in the past 18 months. I was happy to break 100 the last few times I played. Now I know I don't have any physical limitations to practicing more, but I don't have the time or urge to go out and dig it out of the dirt like I used to. And my game SUCKS.

To your point... even though my daughter is getting older now, I don't have the desire to trade off the time I get with her during these formative years to go play golf or even have a semblance of regular practice. I still greatly enjoy the game (still on here all the time and watch it a ton) but I am God-awful (to my standards) at it now. The last couple rounds it was all I could do not to start snapping clubs: I had horrendous tee shot control and watched myself shoot a semi-honest 97 on a course where I would be re-evaluating why I wasn't in the 82-84 range years before (and a tee box or two back).

I have turned down an invite to Pebble in the past 6 months. I turned down playing GC of Houston (old Redstone PGA stop). I turned down TPC Louisiana. I know it's not ANGC, but I can't imagine myself taking the time and resources (2 of those were paid-for "just come out, we got you" trips, BTW) to go play like hot trash in front of my much better-playing friends (and typically for money, as well). I would not enjoy it. I would be stuck in a very similar place where you seem to be, imagining how I SHOULD be hitting this shot or that shot but not having the ability whatsoever to do it. It's maddening. And I don't have the time or desire to fix it.

Today is our daughter's 4th birthday and that might be a reason why I was motivated to write the above novel. It might also be due to my festering frustration over my personal golf game. At the end, I've decided golf is way down the ladder of things to focus on and I don't think it will change for another couple years. I would turn down the offer as well for very different yet way too similar reasons. Cheers, sir.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A bag of left-handed junk.
Driver: SIM Max 10.5 Rogue 125 MSI 60g TX
3W: TM R11 15* Kai'li 70x
2H: Adams Super XTD Project X blue 6.5
3H: Adams Super XTD Aldila Proto 95x
3-PW: Mizuno MP-32 PX LZ 6.5
60, 56, 52: Callaway Mack Daddy, KBS Tour S
Cameron Select Newport 2

On 11/12/2020 at 4:13 PM, isaacbm said:

Who would have thought that our text exchange¬†¬†the other day would‚Äôve spurred this on... ūüôā

I completely sympathize with your point of view.  After everything I’ve experienced  in both professional and high-level amateur golf, the only way I could possibly see myself ever being a 25 handicap would be if I was nearing 100 years old or God forbid, a multiple-limb amputee.  Having said that, I think the only way I’d want to be a part of the hypothetical group you’re describing would be as a spectator. Going to play golf with a bunch of my buddies that are all plus handicap golfers and feeling like I was just butchering it around out there would not be satisfying in any way.  
Knowing what you’ve experienced with your strokes and other health issues, I think it would be almost unbearably frustrating for you to be on the property. 
On the other hand, maybe just driving around in a cart watching Maddie enjoy herself might be enough?  And then hanging out at dinner telling stories and maybe playing cards. Could still be a great trip. 
    None of us are getting out of here alive. At this point I think all that matters is having as many good experiences as possible.

As always my friend, best to you! 

Dan

Same here, Richard. I would only go as a spectator if I couldn't play golf up to my ability for whatever age it was that I was invited.

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

When I first started playing golf in my early teens, I didn't keep or care about score much. I really just wanted to hit the golf ball well at first and then eventually grew to just love being outside, in nature, at a beautiful place and enjoying time alone or with my companions. I kept score at that point eventually but never really enjoyed it or played competitively. I was on my high school team for a while and never made a match so I stopped playing for score altogether and just had fun with it. 

I started playing again 5 or so years ago and have quickly tried to play to lower my handicap and keep score. I enjoy it. 

When winter rolled around this year, I stopped keeping score again. I just go out if the weather permits, walk the course and enjoy being alone or the company of my companions. I enjoy being in nature. I enjoy the experience. 

To me, there's more to golf than how well I do. I've been on both sides of the fence with this and understand the disappointment of not living up to expectations but to me, since there's more to it than just golf I would go as long as the offer was genuine and I wasn't expected to play as though it were an important match. I'd want that experience either way. 

• Like 1
On 12/18/2020 at 10:32 PM, Obee said:

Same here, Richard. I would only go as a spectator if I couldn't play golf up to my ability for whatever age it was that I was invited.

Hey Brotha, I hope all's well and ya had a rewarding seasonūüĎä

I knew that you'd understand, lolūü§ô

First, I want to thank each of you for taking the time to respond and for your thoughts and wishes!!

You Guys are the absolute BestūüĎä!!!

Secondly, based on some of the responses,¬†and this is my fault as I did not clearly make my thoughts understood in my OP, however my decision not to go as a Player, and that capital "P" is critical in my thoughts and beliefs(If ya don't know of what I am¬†speaking,¬†¬†it's a "Pete thing," lololūüėä), was never ever based on others' thoughts of me, my swing or my present game, or in reality, lack there of. I haven't given two flyin f*cks what others thought of me or my game since I was a kid, win lose or draw.

Probably one of my greatest strengths, and it's been this way for as long as I can remember, going back to childhood, its  saved my *ss more times than I could ever recall, and I have my Grandmother to thank for embedding this into me and that is that at the begging/end of the day, I don't give a sh*t what ANYONE thinks of me, my actions, words or performance, other than myself. Also going back for as long as I can remember, while I have a healthy self-esteem and confidence level, be it academically, athletically, professionally or socially/personally, I've always been my own harshest critic or the flip side, biggest fan boy, lol.

So, I could care less what the others in the group would think, and while most of these people are guys that have known and Played with/against me for decades, many, including a few Club Pros, who I've beaten a time or two, all know the "pre-stroke" RP versus the "post-stroke" RP, and I believe that to a man, and two women, or at least Madison thinks so, they would want me to go and play with them.

However, this is where I get selfish. This is where I think of ME and what's best for ME, not appeasing or pleasing others. The thing is, as a few of you know, my mental game was my greatest strength and my strongest "club," and it never let me down. Oh sure, I've had my *ss handed to me on the course, again, more times than I can recall, though I very rarely beat myself. The other guy either just outplayed me or was flat out better than me. 

Well, part of what has helped me to achieve a modicum of success in my life, be it academically, athletically, professionally or even socially/personally, is that I have an uber short memory when I either lose or I perform poorly. I review what I did wrong, what I did well, what I could've done better or differently, I file that positive information away and I forget the rest. ALL OF THE NEGATIVE AND TRASH!!! Many claim to do this, even at the Professional level, however the simple truth is that very few can do it consistently under the gun. 

So the memories and pictures that I have in my mental movie cam, along with the 380+ notebooks, which cover EVERY competitive round and money game that I Played from right before my first Club Championship(1986) to my last Tourney, the Pro/Am Mixed BB Regional Championship with Maddie(2013, as¬†this was the one with the trip to Vegas/Nationals on the line and I jerked a vanilla 3'er to cost us the trip. I lied about never replaying poor shots,¬†as I still replay that putt at least once a week, lolol). It was the second to last putt that I stroked¬†competitively, and even post-stroke, I can still run a hundred straight from around the clock at 3',¬†but not that day, lolūü§∑ūüŹľ‚Äć‚ôāÔłŹ) are ALL positive, regardless of the outcome, cuz I only replay the positive outcomes.¬†

If I were to Play anywhere, be it my Club or be it Augusta, my swing, my game and most importantly, my mind, is not, nor will it ever likely to be, what it needs to be for me to enjoy the round. The stroke affected my left side, from balance & muscle control to the feel/lack of in my hand/fingers, all that I took for granted "pre-stroke." Simply put, I do not currently nor will I ever have the focus and discipline to erase a whole round of sh*t swings and shots, even if I ran a putt or two or hit a lucky shot or two, cuz at this stage, it would be luck and not skill that dictates the outcome. 

I have incredible memories from my time in the game, I'm good with those, and to play just for the sake of playing cuz I can or because got invited, well, that's just not me. Again, this is about ME, and while I love the beauty, aura and heritage of Augusta, my sole purpose in deciding to dedicate myself to being the absolute best Player that I could be shortly after I got out of college(when football ended), was to swing, Play, score and compete, under the gun. Nothing else mattered!!

Not the track that I was Playing, not the beauty of the day, nor the individuals that I was Playing with.

That all meant nothing!! 

Zero!!

Nada!!

Zilch!!

I got to a certain level, and while not Elite, I was a solid Plus under the gun, and as long as I could carry my weight, I was happy, having a blast and ready to go again.

To say that I "missed" out on a lot by not "smelling the roses" and enjoying other parts of the game that others may enjoy¬†also means nothing to me, cuz one, the individual that would say that to me is basically telling me about THEIR feelings, not mine, and most critical, I cannot¬†"miss" something that I've never had, encountered or feltūü§∑ūüŹľ‚Äć‚ôāÔłŹ

Is my thinking a lil selfish?

Yes, however this game, at least as all of my Mentors, Teachers and toughest competitors Played it, taught it and lived it, can be a very selfish game. I loved that aspect of it. I'd Played one of the ultimate team games, I'd Played it well and I Played it at the highest amateur level. It was great to dedicate myself to a sport where everything fell on my shoulders, win lose or draw. That's what I loved most about this game!! 

Please remember that the only reason that I dedicated myself to this game as I did from my mid-20's to early 50's was to replace football, to compete under the gun and to allow me to set goals, work toward those goals, achieve them, reset the goals, soak lather rinse repeat.

THAT was EVERYTHING, that was enough and that gave me some of the greatest memories of my life, which either through memory or with the aid of my notebooks I can replay mentally any time that I want. 

So I don't get to Play Augusta, lolol??

I've Played the globe and¬†I'm good with itūü§ô

Again, thanks so much for responding and your thoughts and wishes mean a lot to me!!

To all of those celebrating, I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and to all a Happy Healthy & Prosperous¬†New Year and Year aheadūüĎä

My Best,

Richard 

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 4

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

2 minutes ago, Forged4ever said:

Hey Brotha, I hope all's well and ya had a rewarding seasonūüĎä

I knew that you'd understand, lolūü§ô

First, I want to thank each of you for taking the time to respond and for your thoughts and wishes!!

You Guys are the absolute BestūüĎä!!!

Secondly, based on some of the responses,¬†and this is my fault as I did not clearly make my thoughts understood in my OP, however my decision not to go as a Player, and that capital "P" is critical in my thoughts and beliefs(If ya don't know of what I am¬†speaking,¬†¬†it's a "Pete thing," lololūüėä), was never ever based on others' thoughts of me, my swing or my present game, or in reality, lack there of. I haven't given two flyin f*cks what others thought of me or my game since I was a kid, win lose or draw.

Probably one of my greatest strengths, and it's been this way for as long as I can remember, going back to childhood, its  saved my *ss more times than I could ever recall, and I have my Grandmother to thank for embedding this into me and that is that at the begging/end of the day, I don't give a sh*t what ANYONE thinks of me, my actions, words or performance, other than myself. Also going back for as long as I can remember, while I have a healthy self-esteem and confidence level, be it academically, athletically, professionally or socially/personally, I've always been my own harshest critic or the flip side, biggest fan boy, lol.

So, I could care less what the others in the group would think, and while most of these people are guys that have known and Played with/against me for decades, many, including a few Club Pros, who I've beaten a time or two, all know the "pre-stroke" RP versus the "post-stroke" RP, and I believe that to a man, and two women, or at least Madison thinks so, they would want me to go and play with them.

However, this is where I get selfish. This is where I think of ME and what's best for ME, not appeasing or pleasing others. The thing is, as a few of you know, my mental game was my greatest strength and my strongest "club," and it never let me down. Oh sure, I've had my *ss handed to me on the course, again, more times than I can recall, though I very rarely beat myself. The other guy either just outplayed me or was flat out better than me. 

Well, part of what has helped me to achieve a modicum of success in my life, be it academically, athletically, professionally or even socially/personally, is that I have an uber short memory when I either lose or I perform poorly. I review what I did wrong, what I did well, what I could've done better or differently, I file that positive information away and I forget the rest. ALL OF THE NEGATIVE AND TRASH!!! Many claim to do this, even at the Professional level, however the simple truth is that very few can do it consistently under the gun. 

So the memories and pictures that I have in my mental movie cam, along with the 380+ notebooks, which cover EVERY competitive round and money game that I Played from right before my first Club Championship(1986) to my last Tourney, the Pro/Am Mixed BB Regional Championship with Maddie(2013, as¬†this was the one with the trip to Nationals on the line and I jerked a vanilla 3'er to cost us the trip. I lied about never replaying poor shots,¬†as I still replay that putt at least once a week, lolol). It was the second to last putt that I stroked¬†competitively, and even post-stroke, I can still run a hundred straight from around the clock at 3',¬†but not that day, lolūü§∑ūüŹľ‚Äć‚ôāÔłŹ) are ALL positive, regardless of the outcome, cuz I only replay the positive outcomes.¬†

If I were to Play anywhere, be it my Club or be it Augusta, my swing, my game and most importantly, my mind, is not, nor will it ever likely to be, what it needs to be for me to enjoy the round. The stroke affected my left side, from balance & muscle control to the feel/lack of in my hand/fingers, all that I took for granted "pre-stroke." Simply put, I do not currently nor will I ever have the focus and discipline to erase a whole round of sh*t swings and shots, even if I ran a putt or two or hit a lucky shot or two, cuz at this stage, it would be luck and not skill that dictates the outcome. 

I have incredible memories from my time in the game, I'm good with those, and to play just for the sake of playing cuz I can or because got invited, well, that's just not me. Again, this is about ME, and while I love the beauty, aura and heritage of Augusta, my sole purpose in deciding to dedicate myself to being the absolute best Player that I could be shortly after I got out of college(when football ended), was to swing, Play, score and compete, under the gun. Nothing else mattered!!

Not the track that I was Playing, not the beauty of the day, nor the individuals that I was Playing with.

That all meant nothing!! 

Zero!!

Nada!!

Zilch!!

I got to a certain level, and while not Elite, I was a solid Plus under the gun, and as long as I could carry my weight, I was happy, having a blast and ready to go again.

To say that I "missed" out on a lot by not "smelling the roses" and enjoying other parts of the game that others may enjoy¬†also means nothing to me, cuz one, the individual that would say that to me is basically telling me about THEIR feelings, not mine, and most critical, I cannot¬†"miss" something that I've never had, encountered or feltūü§∑ūüŹľ‚Äć‚ôāÔłŹ

Is my thinking a lil selfish?

Yes, however this game, at least as all of my Mentors, Teachers and toughest competitors Played it, taught it and lived it, can be a very selfish game. I loved that aspect of it. I'd Played one of the ultimate team games, I'd Played it well and I Played it at the highest amateur level. It was great to dedicate myself to a sport where everything fell on my shoulders, win lose or draw. That's what I loved most about this game!! 

Please remember that the only reason that I dedicated myself to this game as I did from my mid-20's to early 50's was to replace football, to compete under the gun and to allow me to set goals, work toward those goals, achieve them, reset the goals, soak lather rinse repeat.

THAT was EVERYTHING, that was enough and that gave me some of the greatest memories of my life, which either through memory or with the aid of my notebooks I can replay mentally any time that I want. 

So I don't get to Play Augusta, lolol??

I've Played the globe and¬†I'm good with itūü§ô

Again, thanks so much for responding and your thoughts and wishes mean a lot to me!!

To all of those celebrating, I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and to all a Happy Healthy & prosperous New Year and Year aheadūüĎä

My Best,

Richard 

Just noticed your avatar indicating a recent post and found it!

The Merriest of Merry Christmases to you, Maddie, and your family(ies)!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

Since, I guess,  majority of golf rounds played on AN is by 70+ Former CEO’s with single HCP at least 20 ys back I dont think playing a little wayward is something that raises too many eyebrows...

that said, being European my Big Round of golf was on the Old Course back in ’06. It’snot private but I did go through all kinds of hullaballo to pre-book a starting time in october 05. Played decent at the time, regularly on my then-HCP 12 with poor putting. And the Shank fever caught me just 2 weeks before my  flight to Glasgow... I panicked a litte, shot a ton of shanks on the range before going. Was still a bit shaky coming in to St Andrews. Found my swing and played quite brilliantly, first a day on Jubilee and the on the Old Course, with a local caddie and everything. Playing good did sure enhance the experience. All the shaky Drives, 1, 17 and 18 were beauties.

• Like 1

While I have never been guilty of calling signals on the course I have had to go rock - paper- scissors in scrambles to ascertain which loser had to put the tee in the ground.  If you think the rooms zooms are bad they got nothing, repeat nothing on the feeling on the tee box when you have to stand back up and you realize you probably shouldn’t.

And as for that former nursery turned cow pasture turned victory garden in Georgia . . . If others would get a moment of enjoyment from you having been there, than maybe, just maybe go.  Hell Richard I want you in my foursome at the local Goat Ranch CC, I can only imagine how much fun it would be for the rest of us if even if you never took a club back.  

cheers.

Edited by stickfish
  • Thanks 1

I think I would go Richard, and I believe you should too if you can handle the trip.

Reason is: all the people you will meet and play with are golfers. They will likely know your limitations before you get there, as they will likely know your accomplishments in the game.

I believe they would have nothing but respect and empathy for you, treat you well and with patience.

I have never seen good players look down on, or disparage others for a lack of ability to play golf, and most especially if it the result of a medical issue.

With respect, I don’t think you are giving the group credit for accepting you as you are now.

Go, enjoy, you might even find something that becomes a significant positive going forward.

Stay safe!

• Like 3

Srixon z785 Miyazaki 5544; Taylor Made Original One 11
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made 4, 5 GAP-HI Hybrids KBS 
Ping i210 6-PW Ping graphite
Cobra Black MIM 50, 54, 58 Nippon Tour 105
Scotty Cameron Futura X 8
Callaway Chrome, Maxfli Tour