Best forged wedge

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Itobori

Best ... I don't know.  But the best deal on a great Japanese forged wedges has to be the Bridgestone Tour B XW-1.  These can be had for $80/stick.   I bought 50-54-58 setup and love them. 

If you don’t mind an older model...the Callaway Mack Daddy forged have great soft feel and look great at address.  They’ve performed well for me. 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, hypergolf said:

I am in the market for forged wedges. Open to recommendations. 

Looking at both OEM or JDM to choose from. Thanks.

I used to play a set of Yururi Raw Gekku forged wedges made of carbon steel. They feel incredible even though they look like ur great-grandfather's wedges. If you are looking for high quality JDM forged wedges that don't hurt ur wallet, then definitely consider Yururi. They have several models out there for u to choose from. 

Now I play Itobori wedges. Arguably THE most gorgeous looking wedges I've ever laid eyes on. Forged from carbon steel and hand-ground in Japan, the touch and feel are up there with the very best. The only draw back is that they cost an arm; but they'll certainly earn u the bragging right. 

I hope it helps. 

Cheers. 

• Like 1

Seeing your a Srixon Fan, Cleveland make a JDM Forged in Japan.I bought CG17 forged 8 years ago.Yes,the Yururi look cool!T5 Mizuno great also

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

If you don’t mind an older model...the Callaway Mack Daddy forged have great soft feel and look great at address.  They’ve performed well for me. 

• Like 2

Cobra F8+ 9.5*-Diamana Whiteboard 60X

Cobra F9 Tour 3 wood 14.5* & 5 wood 17.5*-Diamana Whitebaord 70X

Bridgestone J15 CB-4-PW KBS C-Taper 130X

Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54*, 60*-KBS C-Taper 125S+

Odyssey O-Works 7s

Ball: 2020 Bridgestone Tour B XS

On 11/13/2020 at 11:33 PM, hypergolf said:

Got any requirements besides "best"?

• Haha 1
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0211 4-G Modus 105  ...or...  Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw
Mizuno MPT11 54/60 TTDG wedge flex
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36"

Outlaw Golf Association #21
On 11/14/2020 at 5:09 AM, James the Hogan Fan said:

Mizuno makes forged wedges and I have found the T4 and T5 series to be soft and usable wedges.

Haven't tried the new 20 series but I believe thry are forged as well

The MP-T20 are forged and I've found even the high bounce in M Grind/54 and C Grind in 58 to be very playable off tight lies while opening up the face - versatile. Have enjoyed them.

• Like 2

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Red 17 ● TEE EXS 220 3, 5 wd/GD AD F 55 and 65, TEE EXS 220 4HY/GD AD HY 65 ● Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Accra ICWT95 ● Mizuno MP T20 50, 54, 58 Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 115 ● Swag Savage Too

On 11/14/2020 at 1:33 AM, hypergolf said:

There is no best - it's just what works for you.

I don't do anything too unique - Mizuno MP-T20 are forged and excellent even in higher bounce with the right grind. I also bought a demo 60/6 MP-T20 to see if it would work for me - it does as long as you let go of any lag so the leading edge doesn't bite. 

But the M and C Grind in these wedges work well for me since February. In the past, I've played Miura K Grinds and those also work well. Depends on your swing

Edited by SwingMan

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Red 17 ● TEE EXS 220 3, 5 wd/GD AD F 55 and 65, TEE EXS 220 4HY/GD AD HY 65 ● Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Accra ICWT95 ● Mizuno MP T20 50, 54, 58 Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 115 ● Swag Savage Too

On 11/14/2020 at 6:23 AM, bvanlieu said:

I am a big fan of my Miura (gen 1 K grinds/1957 old but they work). I have not tried a ton of others to compare, but plenty of good ones I am sure. I would think an underdog would be the Staff Forged wedges people often forget about. 

The Miura 1957 series of wedges are the best I've ever tried. If I could find a couple new C grind 59's I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

JBeam Bullet 10*                           Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 3WD                    Accra Tour Z RPG 372 M5

Exotics CBX119 5WD                    Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 7WD                          Accra TZ5-85 M5
MIURA CB57 5-7                           MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA Tourney Blade 8-P            MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 33/350gr. 1.5 Beach Prototype (A010656)

I have played both the gen 1 and 2 PXG wedges, and found the Gen 1 to be much more versatile - however the milled were the best of the bunch. That being said I still dumped the milled wedges to transition over to Edel. The variety of grinds is really second to none, and the science behind what they do is really quite fascinating - producing what I would consider the most consistent shots, and experience, across alll 3 of my wedges. 

if you have the time or money for a proper fitting I woulld second Kwok, also should look at Artisan and National Cutom Works. 

Best ... I don't know.  But the best deal on a great Japanese forged wedges has to be the Bridgestone Tour B XW-1.  These can be had for $80/stick.

I bought 50-54-58 setup and love them.  Come stock with nice grips (Golfpride MCC) and shaft (Modus 3 105 Stiff). 

I love mine!

https://www.golfdiscount.com/media/catalog/product/cache/a0f3a350990af12bef325ff572602499/b/r/bridgestone-2019-tour-b-xw-1-wedge.jpg

Edited by Qwiklap
  • Like 3

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Autoflex 505X or Tensei Pro Orange 60TX

TM Sim 15* w/ Graphite Design AD-DI 7S

Cobra F7 2-3hy w/ Matrix Ozik Red Tie 85s

Cobra Forged Tec (2020) One Length 4i-PW w/ KBS C-Taper Limited 120g

Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50/54/58 w/ Nippon Modus 3 105S

Bettinardi Tour Issue DASS Kuchar Model 1 ("KM1") Armlock

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV

3 minutes ago, hypergolf said:

Definitely considering these. Have you also tried K-grind 2.0? 

https://miuragolf.com/products/k-grind-2-0

No i have not tried the K-grind 2.0.  

Driver - Honma TW 747 455 10.5*

4 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Tour 17*  

Hybrid - Honma TW 727 UT 22*

Irons - Bridgestone J33 CB 4-PW

Wedges - Miura Tour 52* and 58*

Putter - Slighter Seattle Prototype

They're beautiful wedges, very soft feel.  I love the 56 C grind out of the bunker, the sole grind really keeps the club moving through the sand.  I like the 50 as well, but generally prefer to match my gap wedge to my iron set.  The 60 RJ grind had a little too much bounce for my liking but perhaps should've gotten the C grind in that loft as well.  They have pretty straight leading edges, which I like, but also lots of camber and radius on the sole (if those are the correct terms...the soles are pretty round) which makes them very playable.  Unfortunately I haven't played Cleveland or Vokey wedges for about 15 years to give you direct comparisons to them.

G400 Max Rogue Silver 70

Exotics CBX T3 16.5 Rogue Silver 80

Exotics CBX 20* RIP Alpha 105

T-MB 4, 5 Recoil 110

JPX 900 Tour 6-P Recoil 125

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 50, 56 Recoil Wedge Proto

RM-22 60 Black Onyx S400

Spider FCG L-Neck

Mizuno t7 were nice and can still be found in great shape.  Haven’t hit the t20 but looks similar to the t7.   Probably going to feel like a mizuno, which isn’t a bad thing.  

I haven’t seen some of the things out there people have in their bags.  The random grind things look cool.  

Ping 9° G410+ tensi orange s
Ping 3 Wood G410+ tour 75 shaft s.  
Ping 5 wood G410 Alta s
Adams 9031 23° Mitsubishi diamana 
Ping G710 DG 105 R300
Ping glide stealth 54° es grind
Ping glide 2 58°. ES
Ping anser