2020 Pelican Women's Championship

18majors

This year's USWO looms large to the entire tour; Sei Young, Brooke, Nelly, Lexi, Danielle and Lydia all will skip Volunteers of America Classic to practice for the tournament.

It's Sei Young Kim's tournament to lose; but at least Brooke and the gang should keep Sei Young honest and preventing her from running away with another major.

• Like 1

Yeah, just don't see a scenario where Sei Young throws this one away. Her game is just too solid at the moment. 

Nice round by Lydia, but oy, those doubles hurt. I expect her to have an errant shot now and again as she continues to retool her swing, but not with her putter. 

Doesn't look like Ally will repeat, but she's got to be very happy with the state of her game. 

Austin with a solid moving day. As noted earlier, the winners this season continue to impress. 

Minjee needs a new putting coach. She's too good a ballstriker to continue to miss those "makeable" birdie putts. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

8 minutes ago, Stooch said:

I think with Lydia, you  will see more volatility with her scores than when she first came on scene.  I don't mean this as an insult but old lydia was more paint by the numbers, 1) fairway 2) green 3) 1 putt but then she started changing her swing and chasing distance and I think with all the other great players on tour now she knows she has to play much more aggressive which lead to more mistakes.  When Lydia first got on tour it was basically Inbee, Lydia and Stacey that were the favorites each week (with the basic same skill set) and now there's much more to worry about.  Although this time she seems to have found something that works, I haven't seen her game this consistent and good in a long time.

With that said, I'm not so shocked Lydia made a double but i am shocked it came cause of a 4-putt and 3 of those putts were under 3 feet.

It was a bit of bad luck. Those four putts occurred during a wind squall, while the final group were back in the fairway watching and waiting. They got to wait out the worst of it. Ah...golf! Apart from that one green it was a brilliant round of ball-striking for Lydia. Putting was streaky, even taking that 4-putt out.

• Like 2

SYK obviously on fire right now. I think the final round of the KPMG was about the most exhilarating performances many of us have seen this year - better than Morikawa's final round of the PGA Championship, or DJ at the Masters.

But going into the US Open I am interested in the form of a number of possible contenders. Based on scores, Sung Hyun Park is in the wilderness right now. Lee6 is talking a lot of positives, but not really showing it. Jin Young Ko just looks rusty. Lexi? I don't know - seems calmer and more assured, but not producing on the course. Could be just a matter of time. The form players are obvious, but these players we know have got it, but don't have form, are the intriguing ones. My super hot sneaky pick - So Yeon Ryu. I have the benefit of having watched complete KLPGA tournaments and I tell you, she is ON.

Edited by Raving Shanker
  • Like 4

@Stooch

Lydia's transformation is about 90 % complete; but she'll be a contender day in and day out from this point on.

A point of reference, Lydia finished #51 on 2019 money list; she's currently #14 even though she played all year with a lot of moving parts.

Sei Young is clearly a cut above all others at this point; but Brooke, Nelly and Lydia will all be in the mix every time out.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 4

Korean media has a lot of catch up to do on Sei Young; after overlooking her for 8 years. 

Korean fans should be ashamed that Sei Young has only 8,045 followers on Instagram.

'Challenge to win 2 season' Kim Se-young "Get inspired by watching the Michael Jordan video"

spacer.png

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1

I agree with all of the above that Lydia is probably the most interesting person to watch right now. She's coming back into form - at long last! The girl is a legend, and it would be so, so nice to see her win again. It looks like, as said, her game is around 90% there now. Mental game..... not so sure. She still has to win a tournament and actually do it. She lost a few friends with her constant firing of caddies and slow play at one stage, but that's well in the past and it looks like there's a mass of goodwill behind her now. She looks slim and in very good physical shape. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 18majors said:

Korean media has a lot of catch up to do on Sei Young; after overlooking her for 8 years. 

Korean fans should be ashamed that Sei Young has only 8,045 followers on Instagram.

'Challenge to win 2 season' Kim Se-young "Get inspired by watching the Michael Jordan video"

spacer.png

It's always puzzled me in the past why Korean media always did overlook her -- I'm sure not having a major had to do with that --- BUT - wasn't -31, multiple LPGA wins, rankings, CME winner etc etc enough NOT to overlook her?  I don't follow Korean media and whatever Korean LPGA golf news I get is from this forum, but I did get that impression.   Then again, that's how media works right?  hence the term "Hot Off the Press" and hard to write stuff about potential and things that may still happen as that wont sell

Edited by HMHS
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Supermilo said:

It's always puzzled me in the past why Korean media always did overlook her -- I'm sure not having a major had to do with that --- BUT - wasn't -31, multiple LPGA wins, rankings, CME winner etc etc enough NOT to overlook her?  I don't follow Korean media and whatever Korean LPGA golf news I get is from this forum, but I did get that impression.   Then again, that's how media works right?  hence the term "Hot Off the Press" and hard to write stuff about potential and things that may still happen as that wont sell

Golf, like many pursuits is heavily biased with a "what have you done lately" mentality.  It colours much of people's thinking and thought processes.  Add to the fact that there was always a Korean player of the moment over the past several years, it overshadowed SYK's accomplishments.  This year, it has been abbreviated and disjointed so it was much easier to focus on SYK.  Kind of like how Bianca is the "IT Player" of the moment.

• Like 3

It's underwhelming to the finish line!

The leaders maintained their status quo, while the undercards really went after it.  Jessica Korda and Jennifer Song provided all the highlights today.

Other than a win, Jennifer Song has had a career year!

Brooke hasn't been able to shake her pattern of "Charging Saturday, fizzling Sunday" habit.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 3

Jin Young Ko def didn't have it today. I was really surprised to see how short she hit the ball. Average driving distance was in the 240s or so. Xiyu Lin was steady all day long until 18 where she dropped her 2nd in the water. Then walked back to her preferred distance, dropped one, then hit the stick on her 4th shot and saved bogey. Nanna Madsen can run hot when things are not going her way.

I arrived a bit early to watch Bianca Pagdanganan on the range. Waited for her to get up to the driver. First two swings I was like meh, then she unloaded after that. Impressive to watch. When she can get it turning over it's very impressive. She plays an AD BB shaft in her driver. Didn't catch the weight or flex but I'm guessing it's 6x. Only other lady I have ever seen play that shaft before is MJ Hur a few years ago. Low launch, low spin FTW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, scottc25 said:

Jin Young Ko def didn't have it today. I was really surprised to see how short she hit the ball. Average driving distance was in the 240s or so. Xiyu Lin was steady all day long until 18 where she dropped her 2nd in the water. Then walked back to her preferred distance, dropped one, then hit the stick on her 4th shot and saved bogey. Nanna Madsen can run hot when things are not going her way.

I arrived a bit early to watch Bianca Pagdanganan on the range. Waited for her to get up to the driver. First two swings I was like meh, then she unloaded after that. Impressive to watch. When she can get it turning over it's very impressive. She plays an AD BB shaft in her driver. Didn't catch the weight or flex but I'm guessing it's 6x. Only other lady I have ever seen play that shaft before is MJ Hur a few years ago. Low launch, low spin FTW.

It doesn't look like many of the players were getting much rollout today. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0