• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am really digging the drone views of Augusta. I have never been and it's cool to see how close some of the holes on the back are to the front. I also didn't realize how many cabins were on property.

Tour issue drone , tighter tolerances 

I also enjoyed the drone footage, but you still don't get a sense of how dramatic the property is, by watching on TV.  I have been lucky enough to go there twice to watch the tournament.  I was blown

Posted Images

Agree, awesome

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w Diamana Blue B 80s G400 7w GD PM902s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Matrix HQ3x Apex 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

I've been feeling the exact same way all week. Having only seen arial shots It's a totally different perspective from the drone and it's been fun seeing the shots and working out exactly what I was looking at. It was also interesting to see the proximity of the holes to each other and how much "space" there is.

Srixon Z785 9.5 Hzrdus stiff

Srixon Z F85 18* Hzrdus stiff

Ping Karsten 22* Hybrid

Srixon Z585 4i Modus 3 105 stiff

Srixon Z785 5-PW Modus 3 120 stiff
Srixon Z765 51* Modus stiff
Srixon Z765 57* Modus stiff
Cleveland RTX 3 62* TTDG
Seemore M5 HT Platinum

13 minutes ago, nichho said:

I've been feeling the exact same way all week. Having only seen arial shots It's a totally different perspective from the drone and it's been fun seeing the shots and working out exactly what I was looking at. It was also interesting to see the proximity of the holes to each other and how much "space" there is.

It is pretty cool to see that. Seeing the layout in person is wayyy different than I thought it would be. And the elevation is nuts. 

That was indeed super interesting and I don’t understand why they didn’t think of this earlier. Great shots and new perspectives, and they managed to not show too much of the beautiful city that surrounds ANGC 😉

Btw, just a technicality, but I’m pretty sure those were wire cams. Drone sounds would have been too distracting. Just watch the 2000 US Open footage and that ever-present blimp/chopper sound. Drove me nuts!

32 minutes ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

That was indeed super interesting and I don’t understand why they didn’t think of this earlier. Great shots and new perspectives, and they managed to not show too much of the beautiful city that surrounds ANGC 😉

Btw, just a technicality, but I’m pretty sure those were wire cams. Drone sounds would have been too distracting. Just watch the 2000 US Open footage and that ever-present blimp/chopper sound. Drove me nuts!

They were drones.  You could hear the buzz on a lot of the video.  Especially near the 1st tee where the sound bounced off the buildings.  Most of the time they were really high.

They likely were a couple of years in getting comfortable with the technology and getting the camera feeds to a point where they were acceptable to the membership.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

1 hour ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

As someone who uses drones daily....those were drone shots.

8 hours ago, Socrates said:

They were drones.  You could hear the buzz on a lot of the video.  Especially near the 1st tee where the sound bounced off the buildings.  Most of the time they were really high.

They likely were a couple of years in getting comfortable with the technology and getting the camera feeds to a point where they were acceptable to the membership.

7 hours ago, ray9898 said:

As someone who uses drones daily....those were drone shots.

Ok, didn’t hear that and it surprises me! Especially on #16, when it flew so close to the leaves that they moved- I was sure that‘d be too close for a drone. 

The drone shots were really cool, the only thing that bugged me was when they panned away to a drone shot when someone was hitting. 

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff Tour AD DI
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

16 hours ago, Socrates said:

Surprised ANGC doesn’t have a military issue reaper drone , less sound than the toy drone 😉

Driver 9* Titleist Tsi3 BLK 6x tipped 1”  45.5” C2 3w Tsi3 15* B1 Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) lie angle 620mb std specs + .25 to .5” Vokey Wedge Works Sm8 D grind 54(@53*) bounce 12* | custom grind leading edge relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63* Sm8 K grind 58(@59*) low bounce 6* | custom grind heel relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63 | Bettinardi BB8 tri sole - 70* Lie angle 2* of loft Super Stroke GT 1.0
All woods & 2i hot melted, GP Tour Velvet . 580 Ping Hoofer 

8 hours ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

Ok, didn’t hear that and it surprises me! Especially on #16, when it flew so close to the leaves that they moved- I was sure that‘d be too close for a drone. 

Tour issue drone , tighter tolerances 

• Haha 3

Driver 9* Titleist Tsi3 BLK 6x tipped 1”  45.5” C2 3w Tsi3 15* B1 Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) lie angle 620mb std specs + .25 to .5” Vokey Wedge Works Sm8 D grind 54(@53*) bounce 12* | custom grind leading edge relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63* Sm8 K grind 58(@59*) low bounce 6* | custom grind heel relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63 | Bettinardi BB8 tri sole - 70* Lie angle 2* of loft Super Stroke GT 1.0
All woods & 2i hot melted, GP Tour Velvet . 580 Ping Hoofer 

I loved the drone shots, they added a lot.  Was great to get a more realistic perspective of the course, especially when it was unobstructed by fans and tents and grandstands etc.

I wonder if we'll see the drones next year when the crowds are back.  I would think that ANGC would be a little concerned about one crashing into the patrons.

Crashes are pretty rare but they happen.  I remember one (a big one) nearly landing on a skier in a race, although that was a few years back and they must be lighter and more reliable now.

17 hours ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

They should start selling vuvuzelas at admission.

59 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Does there exist something like shown below for ANGC?  I kind of want to see something like this done on an appropriate scale to get a feel A) for the elevation changes and B) how MacKenzie routed and located the tees and greens in relation to one another.

elevations map.gif

Years ago, one of the Golf magazines had something like this.  And here it is:

http://golf.com/news/tournaments/breaking-down-elevation-augusta-national-golf-club/

Edited by Socrates
  • Thanks 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

4 hours ago, smashdn said:

Does there exist something like shown below for ANGC?  I kind of want to see something like this done on an appropriate scale to get a feel A) for the elevation changes and B) how MacKenzie routed and located the tees and greens in relation to one another.

elevations map.gif

Smashdn, here is an attempt on your ANGC elevation idea.  Google Earth has a few odd quirks in these elevation profiles.  But, it does show you why so many are in awe of the hills in person vs. their TV experience.

On this year's TV pictures, loved all of the drone views without fans(or that other word they use as Augusta speak).  

ANGCelev20.jpg

• Thanks 1

I also enjoyed the drone footage, but you still don't get a sense of how dramatic the property is, by watching on TV.  I have been lucky enough to go there twice to watch the tournament.  I was blown away how hilly the course is and how extreme some of the greens are.  For example, hole #6 (par 3) as you have probably seen the downslope in front of the tee box is so severe that patrons sit on the hill and players hit tee shots directly over their head.  You cannot see the crowd, from the tee.  Another example, the downslope of hole #10 is probably the height of a 6 story building....if you tripped walking off the front of the tees, you wouldn't quit rolling until you were 200 yds out from the green.  The 3rd example I will give is there is a mound, just short of the green on hole #11.  The mound is so large, if you were standing back in the fairway about 200yds out you could not see the lower half of a person standing just short of the putting surface.  It would really be neat if some of these cameras behind the greens were lowered to eye level so you could see just how crazy some of the slopes are.

• Like 2