Jump to content

Efficient training with Mevo Plus


Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

3 years ago I was a steady HCP 8 player; I dropped golf for tennis but returned to golf some months ago due to a serious injury. My swing is rusty and needs more practice. To avoid endless ball hitting on a DR without real goals I recently bought the Mevo plus to optimise my training. I'm curious if other members use this is a similar way; looking for experiences to learn from 🙂

 

I record my all swing numbers on de driving range - I mainly focus on smash factor, angle of attach, vertical & horizontal launch and spin axis. I work to get these within a bandwidth I defined; e.g. for my Pitching wedge :  Angle of Attach should be less than -4 degrees,  Smash factor 1.20+, horizontal launch less than 4 degrees Right and vertical launch less than 27 degrees. I use the fatplate to avoid 'DR mat optimisation (bounce)' - Doing so enables me to work on my swing in a focused way. I found the target settings in various launch monitor manuals and adjusted these to my swing - I look at the more or less best hit ball numbers to valide these and they seems correct. I plan to discuss these with a Pro once I start taking lessons again.

 

Looking forward to read your experiences!

 

Regards, Vincent

Edited by winkje
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good swings can produce bad numbers and bad (faulty) swings can produce good numbers.   Numbers can tell you where there might be issues but they wont tell you anything about why the numbers are what they are.   It's always best to focus on what the body is doing (not the ball) when working on swing improvements and planing a course of improvements.  Only then should the monitor be used to check the progress of the changes - but only after the progress is validated visually with swing videos.

 

It's way to easy to get overly focused on the numbers instead of what the body is doing.

 

Edited by Stuart_G
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

Good swings can produce bad numbers and bad (faulty) swings can produce good numbers.   Numbers can tell you where there might be issues but they wont tell you anything about why the numbers are what they are.   It's always best to focus on what the body is doing (not the ball) when working on swing improvements and planing a course of improvements.  Only then should the monitor be used to check the progress of the changes - but only after the progress is validated visually with swing videos.

 

It's way to easy to get overly focused on the numbers instead of what the body is doing.

 

If the numbers he’s getting are optimal over a large sample size I don’t see why it matters “what the body is doing.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, ilikegolf26 said:

If the numbers he’s getting are optimal over a large sample size I don’t see why it matters “what the body is doing.”

 

First of all, for everything except maybe a driver, there is no such thing as 'optimal' numbers.    

 

And if the numbers were acceptable, he be worrying about improving and changing the swing.   The point is about what it takes to change the results.  If one is happy with the numbers and just wants to maintain their current swing and monitor it for unintended changes that's one thing.  But if they aren't acceptable or what the player want's to achieve, the numbers don't tell the player anything about 1) why they are not ideal 2) what he needs to do to change or fix them 3) how successful they really are at correcting the original problem and finally 4) anything about what the players potential might be.

 

Certainly there are lots of ways to get the job done but there are some that are better or easier or quicker to help fix any swing issues than others.   Sure, some can make that approach work. They can flounder around on their own and eventually (and usually accidentally) come across a solid fix but will certainly a lot longer than is really necessary.  But there are also plenty of people for which that particular approach will never really be effective and it accomplishes little except adding to the frustration of the game.    The numbers are a complex combinations of a lot of things that have to happen before impact.  If you want to make a change, you need to change what your body is doing before impact.  And it's always going to be way more effective and efficient to do that by understanding what the body is doing and how it needs to change.

 

And based on the thread title, I think it's safe to assume the OP is interested in the efficiency of the training methods.

Edited by Stuart_G
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

Thanks for your input!

 

@Stuart: i really understand what you say and I feel that I still seek for a fine ball / swing before the numbers. However, I'm know that my ball flight is to high due to me staying behind the ball; this is something I have been working on with my pro in the past. The Mevo enables me to do that 'homework' again and I can track progress but the Mevo will not replace a pro.

 

I do believe that working with a pro and the Mevo is/could be the optimal combo; unfortunately I choose to work with my previous pro which means that I will have to wait some months on our first lesson.

 

Thanks, regards, Vincent

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, winkje said:

Hi,

 

Thanks for your input!

 

@Stuart: i really understand what you say and I feel that I still seek for a fine ball / swing before the numbers. However, I'm know that my ball flight is to high due to me staying behind the ball; this is something I have been working on with my pro in the past. The Mevo enables me to do that 'homework' again and I can track progress but the Mevo will not replace a pro.

 

I do believe that working with a pro and the Mevo is/could be the optimal combo; unfortunately I choose to work with my previous pro which means that I will have to wait some months on our first lesson.

 

Thanks, regards, Vincent

 

 

 

 

There is a big difference between trying to fix a swing JUST based on chasing numbers in isolation - and using the LM to track the progress or effectiveness of changes you've planned out using other methods - a pro, video, etc...

 

It's really just the first I'm discouraging as well as chasing numbers for the sake of chasing numbers (which happens all too frequently - especially after someone sees the tour averages published by TM). 

 

However the second can be extremely helpful.  It's a method lots of pros use when teaching and I do it all the time myself - although I feel the club data a lot more useful in that respect than the ball data.  e.g.  Path,  Face-to-path, dynamic loft, AoA, etc...   Helping with work on my swing was the main reason I spent a bit extra for the club data capability.

 

Edited by Stuart_G
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...