Betti Hive vs Smaller Shops

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Starting sending letters to Santa I guess 🤣. 

Regarding actually gaming with an expensive putter, I recently was lucky enough that a Bettinardi HIVE release offered a putter that suits my stroke and other preferences. I was even luckier that I ac

If you're talking custom Bettinardi that's 2k starting point, for that price I'm getting 2 or 3 putters from smaller boutique shops. In these times I'd rather have give the money to a 1 man/small operation where that sale means a lot more to them. Nothing against Bettinardi but they'll do just fine if they don't get an extra sale or two. 

Now if you're talking the Hive drops then most of those seem like wall hangers, there are a few "tour rejects" that can and should be gamed but it all depends on who buys what. 

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

36 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

If you're talking custom Bettinardi that's 2k starting point, for that price I'm getting 2 or 3 putters from smaller boutique shops. In these times I'd rather have give the money to a 1 man/small operation where that sale means a lot more to them. Nothing against Bettinardi but they'll do just fine if they don't get an extra sale or two. 

Now if you're talking the Hive drops then most of those seem like wall hangers, there are a few "tour rejects" that can and should be gamed but it all depends on who buys what. 

Yeah... talking Hive.  For me it’s the unique shape, I’m a sucker for the 3/4 and unfortunately the Nead / Byron DH89 mini ‘s have buy the dust.

Just now, ddbowdoin said:

Yeah... talking Hive.  For me it’s the unique shape, I’m a sucker for the 3/4 and unfortunately the Nead / Byron DH89 mini ‘s have buy the dust.

Ah ok so searching for a very specific head that's a different story. Did you try contacting Kari Lajosi? I believe he makes a mini DD201 on request and it would be quite less than a Hive especially with the conversion rate from AUD to USD.

The other option would be contacting NCW and get Al to 3D print you the exact putter you want since he can basically print anything you want. Price wise might be close to Bettinardi but again you'll get 100% what you want with NCW. 

Lefty WITB

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

2 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Ah ok so searching for a very specific head that's a different story. Did you try contacting Kari Lajosi? I believe he makes a mini DD201 on request and it would be quite less than a Hive especially with the conversion rate from AUD to USD.

The other option would be contacting NCW and get Al to 3D print you the exact putter you want since he can basically print anything you want. Price wise might be close to Bettinardi but again you'll get 100% what you want with NCW. 

To even complicate it further I want pure copper milled... so that adds another element of “hard to find”

Just now, ddbowdoin said:

To even complicate it further I want pure copper milled... so that adds another element of “hard to find”

Starting sending letters to Santa I guess 🤣

• Like 1

Lefty WITB

If you go the Bettinardi Custom route you will not be disappointed. It is a little more expensive than other companies but I think their product is one of the best IMO. I have owned several HIVE and Custom putters of them and loved them. 

Titleist TSi3 9° | Tensei AV Raw White 65S

TBD | Tensei AV Raw White 75S
Titleist 818H2 21º | Atmos HB TS Blue 8S
Callaway Apex CF19 5-PW | Modus 105S
Callaway MD5 50°W 54°S 58°X | KBS $-Taper 120S

PING Sigma G Tyne H 
Titleist ProV1x

1 hour ago, ddbowdoin said:

Just spoke to Lajosi... his mini milled from copper to spec is about 800 bucks shipped, that’s 1000 off Betti... tough decision ahead.

That's a good price to get exactly what you want. Also Kari does some amazing work from what I've seen, he's definitely on my to buy from list.

Lefty WITB

On 11/16/2020 at 12:57 PM, ddbowdoin said:

Keep it simple: you have a few bucks... worth going Hive vs a smaller boutique shop.  Either way, you’re dropping a good amount of money into a putter you’ve never held / seen.

do people game the Hive stuff or are they just investments?

I game my custom hive putter that came from the vault. Skull and bones bb8 

I'd go with the Bettinardi. I don't have a need for 2 or 3 putters when I only can putt with 1 at a time. I get it from a collection perspective, but I'd rather find what I want it and get it custom made from Bettinardi. I've personally owned several custom putters from them and everyone has been better than the last. My favorite was a BB0 with a custom flow neck that I'd say was just about as nice as anything out there except maybe a circle t. Also, I think the resell is much better on some of the bigger well known companies and that's something I would defiantly consider because there may come a time when you find something you like better and you decide to whatever you buy. 

Regarding actually gaming with an expensive putter, I recently was lucky enough that a Bettinardi HIVE release offered a putter that suits my stroke and other preferences. I was even luckier that I actually pressed the purchase button in time to nab it!

I have been on a putter binge lately to find the right one. I ended up with 4 of them before I was able to identify my favorite elements of each ranging from aesthetics and suiting my stroke to the feel I like off the face. I’ve got a Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5, PXG Bat Attack, Bettinardi Queen B8 and Bettinardi SS28.  My perfect putter would have slight toe hang, the alignment of the Bat Attack, the feel of the Queen B8 and an overall aesthetic that was unique but not over the top. So I guess I got a bit lucky that the HIVE put out a putter that was essentially what I would have designed from the custom shop. 

Here’s my new gamer: https://bettinardi.com/collections/hive-archive/products/inovai-6-0-barber-pole-zombee

... And now to sell a few of the others that didn’t make the cut so I can hurt a bit less from the dent the HIVE putter put in my wallet. I’m gonna keep the Queen B8 as a blade-ish option if I ever feel like taking a break from the mallet, the only thing the Queen B was missing was slightly easier alignment. 

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, ZenWithBalls said:

Regarding actually gaming with an expensive putter, I recently was lucky enough that a Bettinardi HIVE release offered a putter that suits my stroke and other preferences. I was even luckier that I actually pressed the purchase button in time to nab it!

I have been on a putter binge lately to find the right one. I ended up with 4 of them before I was able to identify my favorite elements of each ranging from aesthetics and suiting my stroke to the feel I like off the face. I’ve got a Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5, PXG Bat Attack, Bettinardi Queen B8 and Bettinardi SS28.  My perfect putter would have slight toe hang, the alignment of the Bat Attack, the feel of the Queen B8 and an overall aesthetic that was unique but not over the top. So I guess I got a bit lucky that the HIVE put out a putter that was essentially what I would have designed from the custom shop. 

Here’s my new gamer: https://bettinardi.com/collections/hive-archive/products/inovai-6-0-barber-pole-zombee

... And now to sell a few of the others that didn’t make the cut so I can hurt a bit less from the dent the HIVE putter put in my wallet. I’m gonna keep the Queen B8 as a blade-ish option if I ever feel like taking a break from the mallet, the only thing the Queen B was missing was slightly easier alignment. 

Well... I did it, pulled the trigger.  They actually held the putter for a few days before I had the balls to send the PayPal funds.

That’s without a doubt maybe the dumbest financial decision I’ve ever made! Obviously, I can buy it but I’m sure it would have made more sense to use it on something practical... like upgrading our dryer or some other useless appliance. 

7 hours ago, Medson said:

Congratulations! While tour Bettinardi is indeed expensive, I thought that 3/4 BB0 copper would go a lot more. 

Slightly different. https://www.bettinardiregistry.com/products/c12a9d69-63e1-4331-906d-5c326de9f6bd

Im gaming it, a few folks have called me crazy for it actually seeing a course.