2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

4 iron? Or 5 through PW irons?

writing running

Hello:  I have a question for all of you more knowledgeable than me:  I do not own a 4 iron.  Rather, my bag contains a 4 hybrid and  5 through PW irons (Ping G410). I can move my 5 iron pretty well but am not in love with my hybrid -- feels fickle, but yes easy to get off the ground. I play my irons well.  I am thinking of buying a 4 iron for shots from the rough at 190+ and for my push out game (play in heavily wooded fairways in the upper Midwest). What do others have in their bag that might help me make this decision?  Thanks. 

I'm unusual. I carry a 4H and a 4i.

The 4i is tweaked: it has a parallel hosel, so I refitted it with a hybrid shaft; original was steel KBS Tour 90.

I use my 4i as a driving iron, and for shots off the fairway from a good lie, especially into wind. Even with hybrid shaft, I get a lower, semi-stinger flight with lots of rollout.

Caution: a 4i out of the rough can be iffy. 

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I play a 4i and I'm comfortable with it, if you're comfortable with a 5i then could get a 4i, other option is a 9 wood but that's if you're comfortable and confident hitting woods especially off the deck, also not really a common option but it's out there for sure. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I played a challenging course yesterday with some tight holes, about 6400yds.  Found myself using 2-4 irons rather often.  Par 5's were not long just sphincter tightening off the tees and 2nd shots called for 2i-4i, except one 4wd.  This ole man isn't about to give up on his long irons.  Course, yesterday's shot compliments and result support that least for the foreseeable future. 

Here's the thing, two of the people I played with out drove me, had max 5i in the bag, rest hybrids/woods and they didn't fair nearly as well as the ole man smacking long irons.  My 4i and 2i are my favorites.

• Like 3
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I just added a TMB 4-iron. More forgiveness than the traditional 4-iron and just easier to hit. Play the T100s irons in 5-PW

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3, 9*, Project X HZRDUS Black
Titleist TSR 3, 15*, Project X HZRDUS Black

Titleist T200 2-iron, Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 96, X-flex
Titleist 716 T-MB 4-iron, KBS Tour X
Titleist 680, 5-9, KBS Tour X 
Titleist Vokey SM8 48.08F, 52.08F, 56.10s, & SM9 60.08M, KBS Tour X
Titleist Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2
Pro V1x

I still play a 4i.  200yd club that I use regularly off the tee on short/tight par-4s and for long approach shots.  My 2-hybrid and 3-hybrids are longer, and they can be easier to get up in the air depending on the lie.   But the 4i is less likely to go offline and the miss is more manageable.  Reached a par-5 in 2 yesterday, into the wind from about 180 with my 4. Its not going anywhere.  

It looks like your G410 give some launch help in the long irons (undercut channel + slightly wider sole and extra weight low and deep).  So I bet you'd do just fine adding a 4.  Off the tee, long approach shots and punch out shots would all work.  But as @ChipNRun said above, the 4i can be iffy out of nasty rough...

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

Hi All: Thanks for the replies. This is very helpful. Now that Ping is introducing new irons to replace the g410s I feel that I should purchase the 4i soon (with my specs) before its too late.  Why does the hybrid have a tendency to go off-line -- that is why is it less consistent left and right than the long irons? I heard one of the pros make a comment at the Payne cup recently that he opted against his 3 hybrid because of the consistency issues in colder, windy weather....

The point about using the 4i for driving on short par 4s and into doglegs (and so forth) on par 5s is really good advice. I keep overshooting the preferred landing zones with my 5 wood and 4 hybrid. 

I am new(ish) to golf and so all your advice is much appreciated. As noted, I also have 5 wood (G410).  

Let's face it, Pro's using hybrid replacement clubs get customized builds.  They do NOT play what average retail customer buys off the retail shelve. 

Most people I see using them have dispersion and distance control problems, though the desired trajectory might be there.  Part of the problem is quality of graphite many people put in hybrids, even their woods.  Also, hybrid head specs and OA length is different than most comparable, 3 or 4 irons. 

Yesterday, on an elevated tee of Par 5, 524yrds, forced carry was 210yds, right to left breeze, didn't aim far enough right so the breeze took my ball a bit left of center, and the ground took it further left into 3" rough, where the ball was seriously above my feet.  I choked down on 2i and smacked a nice draw down the right side plus roll out ended about 115yd for PW into the green.  NO way I would want that shot using a hybrid or wood, can't manipulate the face as easy in an ugly lie, plus the cross breeze would play havoc with the ball.

As I see this, dispersion and distance control are tied to shaft quality and small club head, and I didn't need help getting the ball out.  Thank you Steelfiber i110 "S" in my 17* 2i, plays like steel.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

If you have some speed,

Try a Driving Iron - Tour Edge EXS220 has a Ti face driving iron and choose a shaft that gets up in the air.

Srixon also has a new driving iron...

TM has several.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I’m at this junction in my game right now, and I think I’ll go with an iron vs. hybrid. 
Punching out and hitting low shots just feels better.

If I’m in the rough 180 out, I’m not gonna hit the number anyway, I just want to advance the ball as far as I can. I can do that with my 3 hybrid. 
A good option is going with a GI iron and lighter shaft (maybe graphite?). Takes off the pressure to hit it perfectly out of the middle, but you still get iron looks and shot characteristics. I like that. 

• Thanks 1

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

I have a 3 iron, 4, iron, etc., through to pitching wedge. I also have a 1 utility iron. No traditional fairway woods or hybrids.

It's not a setup for everyone, but it works for me. I don't miss having a 3 wood - I'm yet to seriously miss its distance off a fairway, and I'm yet to find a tee where I can't use driver/1/3 iron.

Re: punching - I use my 3 iron rather than my 1. It's easier to hit from poor lies and rough, particularly if it's a punch out rather than a full swing. The 1 iron needs more speed than I am comfortable controlling like I can with a 3 iron.

Edited by steventoo

Titleist TSi3 9*          | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65TX

Titleist 2021 T200 2 iron | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 100X

Titleist 2021 T200 3 iron | KBS Tour 130X

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW  | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 50.08F          | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 56.08M, 62.08M  | Dynamic Gold S400

LAB Golf DF 2.1 Custom    | Accra x LAB

1 minute ago, cjblake09 said:

I would suggest maybe the new Taylor Made DHY.  Super easy to hit. 

Thats what I have...OMG what club!

The #4.

• Like 1

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

1 hour ago, writing running said:

Why does the hybrid have a tendency to go off-line -- that is why is it less consistent left and right than the long irons? I

Be aware that all hybrids are not created equal. The average hybrid, designed as a replacement for long irons, has quite a bit of offset. This makes it easier to square the clubface if you tend to slice.

image.png.4777af7b0ba2f8c9a5d568fb2e75a07f.pngBUT, if you square up the clubface naturally with your swing, extra offset can lead to left misses. Hence, the mantra that "hybrids are a hook machine."

Solution: look for pro- or tour-headed hybrids, or others such as Cobra which have a more square face. Tour Edge made this the basis of their CBX and CBX.119 hybrids, billing them as left-proof. 

Too bad COVID has torpedoed the demo days. If you could have a hybrid-focused demo day, you would see the options you have!

Edited by ChipNRun
Insert picture
  • Thanks 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I can hit my 4 iron off the tee but struggle with it off the deck and even off the tee it's best for a fairway finder. Doesn't go high enough to hold a green.  Out with the 4 iron, in with  the 7 wood.  I really like my 7 wood and wish I bought it sooner.  Hard to find in a stiff shaft but I'm glad I found it and bought it.  Hybrids always went left for me.  Hook city unless I really make a great swing and try to cut the ball.  Never really sure where it's going with the hybrid.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 14max said:

Why not get a 4 Crossover?

I have one.  I like the 4 iron better.  The crossover is great if you're playing a hard, tight, windy course and need a low stinger shot off the tee but that is about all it's good for.  At least in my hands.

Edited by LeoLeo99

I play a 4 iron and a 23° hybrid as they fill different distance gaps and purposes in my bag. Having said that my 4 iron is 24° which is a 5 iron in most modern sets. A weak 5 iron if we start talking 'distance irons' powerspec etc. However regardless of the number stamped on the club a 24° iron is the strongest iron I want in my setup. After that I will switch to hybrids. 

• Thanks 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

Get a 7 wood. You won't regret it. 

I solved my 4-iron dilemma by just getting rid of it. I play 5-iron as my longest iron and then go straight to 7 wood, which I can always dial down for in-between distances. 

If you have some good speed and are a good iron player, maybe consider the 4-iron. But if you're like most people, you'll find it to be an inconsistent club with a small yardage gap relative to the 5-iron. And if that's the case, it's not worth a spot in the bag. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR 1w Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TSR 3w Tour AD DI 7x

Titleist TSR 5w Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist TSR 4h Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T150 4i-6i X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

I normally play some sort of CBs in my 5-P and for the past couple seasons I've put a GI 4 iron in my bag opposed to a hybrid.  I carry a 13 degree 3 wood, a weak 5 wood and then a 5 iron so a stronger GI 4 iron seems to do the trick.  I currently play the new X Forged CB irons in the 5-P and an Apex Forged 4 iron.  It's basically the loft of a 3 iron and length of a 4 iron so it works great to fill the gap.  I also hit it much better off the tee than a hybrid and it is definitely my go to for punch shots.

As someone who swings 4i over 100mph... I still have a 4 hybrid (steel shafted) that I use sometimes. If the course has long par 3s (my home course - 220-235) I keep the 4i in the bag. If I’m playing long approach shots into par 5s I’ll throw the hybrid in. It’s drastically easier out of the rough. I play with tons of older average golfers as our tee sheet is insanely hard to get spots on with the covid golf bump and 90% of them him 4-6 the same distance without realizing it. A good portion of golfers would be better off playing a 4 hybrid or 7 wood. I got my dad to drop his 4 iron and he is SO much better with his hybrid and 7w. 

• Thanks 2

My newish iron set was 5-PW and I have a 3h and 4h. But after hitting my new 5 iron, I REALLY want to try the 4 and maybe the 3. 

I could hit my old 3 and 4 ok, but not as well as the hybrids. But a 4i might be a good option as well. Mainly because I really like my 5 iron now.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

5 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

I'm unusual. I carry a 4H and a 4i.

Caution: a 4i out of the rough can be iffy. 

I'm unusual too, as I carry the same. I can hit my 4H about 10-15 yards farther than my 4I. I play driver, 4W, 4H, 4I.

And I agree with your caution. You have to have some serious swing speed to hit a 4 iron out of the rough.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

13 hours ago, cjblake09 said:

I would suggest maybe the new Taylor Made DHY.  Super easy to hit. 

Another vote foe the SIM DHY for me. I have it in a 3i and absolutely love it

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

Not sure what the issue is. You say you hit your 5i fine, you will be ok with 4i too. Your 4h will go longer than your 4i coz of the longer shaft. 

For me 5i is long enough, next club is 5h. I love hybrids

Bag 1: 2h: Srixon ZX4h: TM M1 ('17) ; Irons: MD Golf 7i & 9i, Wedges: RTX full face 52o & 58o; Putter: Spalding Pro Flite

Bag 2: 3h: Nickent 3dx; 3i: Cobra One-Length utility; 7i: TM M4; 8/9i: Inesis 500; Wedges: AW: TM RSi (50o); Cleveland RTX full face 54o; RTX 588 60o; Putter: Ping