Jump to content

Quick Question about Epoxy Cure


Recommended Posts

Hello, I reshafted my irons yesterday.

 

I used the Golfworks Tour Set epoxy.

 

Does anyone know how hard this epoxy should be after 24 hours? I mixed 10.0 g and 10.0 g of Parts A and B thoroughly, and added shafting beads and mixed again.

 

The result is hard, but somewhat pliable. Not brittle, or rock solid. Can't crack it.

 

Clubheads won't budge when I attempt to twist

 

Good to go, or risky?

Edited by golfman1023
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Golfworks Tour Set epoxy has had more reported failures here than all other epoxies put together.  Hopefully you have a good batch and mixed it well.     Epoxy can be speed cured by placing

This is the one that I trust.  From what I can see, it is a 3M product very similar to DP460.   https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-maximum-strength-high-impact-epoxy/p/vb1001/

I've never purged out more than gram (likely less) of epoxy coming out of the plunger.  It's still safer to be cautious than to not do it.  Especially if you are only mixing a few grams of epoxy where

49 minutes ago, Nessism said:

Golfworks Tour Set epoxy has had more reported failures here than all other epoxies put together.  Hopefully you have a good batch and mixed it well.  

 

Epoxy can be speed cured by placing the club heads under heat.  The pro's have special equipment to heat cure epoxy, which happens very quickly, but for homebuilt clubs you can make a hot box or place some old fashion light bulbs around the heads and raise their temperature and cure the epoxy.  90 mins at 120F or 60 mins at 140F will fully cure the epoxy.  There is no reason to wait 24+ hours unless you like to.  Oh, and heat curing the epoxy makes it stronger than room temperature cure.  


I didn't know that about the Tour Set stuff, that is concerning. Any word on the other Golfworks stuff?

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX 
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* Kuro Kage 80XTS
Taylormade SIM Max 18.5* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro Orange 90TX
Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 18.5* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Valtiel said:


I didn't know that about the Tour Set stuff, that is concerning. Any word on the other Golfworks stuff?

This is the one that I trust.  From what I can see, it is a 3M product very similar to DP460.

 

https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-maximum-strength-high-impact-epoxy/p/vb1001/

The GolfWorks Maximum Strength High Impact Epoxy

Edited by Socrates
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Socrates said:

This is the one that I trust.  From what I can see, it is a 3M product very similar to DP460.

 

https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-maximum-strength-high-impact-epoxy/p/vb1001/

The GolfWorks Maximum Strength High Impact Epoxy


Awesome, that is what I use as well. Any tips on even dispensing of it though? The whole 2:1 plunger idea is cool, but the different consistency of the two parts means they almost never seem to want to come out at the same time/evenly regardless of how evenly you plunge it. I've been thinking about just dispensing it all into two separate containers and not messing with their dispenser. 

Edited by Valtiel

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX 
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* Kuro Kage 80XTS
Taylormade SIM Max 18.5* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro Orange 90TX
Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 18.5* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Valtiel said:


Awesome, that is what I use as well. Any tips on even dispensing of it though? The whole 2:1 plunger idea is cool, but the different consistency of the two parts means they almost never seem to want to come out at the same time/evenly regardless of how evenly you plunge it. I've been thinking about just dispensing it all into two separate containers and not messing with their dispenser. 

 

You need to use a proper dispenser and purge out the first bit until you get even flow out of both ports so to speak.

 

I had a bit of a disagreement with one of the materials experts where I work because he wanted us (production people of which I'm a part) to lay down a 6" bead of epoxy out of the mixing nozzle before applying it to the parts we make.  I said that's wasteful and he relented, only because we use high grade epoxy like 3M.  The point I'm trying to make is to assure you get even flow out of both the resin and hardener nozzles before you trust the epoxy.

  • Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Valtiel said:


Awesome, that is what I use as well. Any tips on even dispensing of it though? The whole 2:1 plunger idea is cool, but the different consistency of the two parts means they almost never seem to want to come out at the same time/evenly regardless of how evenly you plunge it. I've been thinking about just dispensing it all into two separate containers and not messing with their dispenser. 

Spend the money to get the cartridge gun. The dispenser gun works great for getting the correct 2:1 ratio. I would also get the 1:1 plunger with it as there are other epoxy cartridges that need a 1:1 ratio. As @Nessism said, purge out the first bit by squeezing out a little blob and discarding it. Then dispense as much as you need, mix thoroughly. Place the cap back on and store indoors at 70 degrees F. 

 

It looks like the Golfworks high-impact epoxy is very similar to the V.O. Baker G-1400 series. I switched to this some years ago and have had  excellent results since. 

https://vobaker.com/product/g-1400-series-high-impact-and-torque-resistant-shafting-epoxy-black/

 

Titleist 915D3 driver, Graphite Design YS-SIX NanoReloaded S

Wishon 950HC 3 fwy, Aldila Tour Blue 75 S

Wishon 949MC 5 fwy, Aldila Tour Blue 75 S

Wishon 575 MMC CB irons, 4 - GW, Nippon NS Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX-3, 56 deg, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 R

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Nessism said:

 

You need to use a proper dispenser and purge out the first bit until you get even flow out of both ports so to speak.

 

I had a bit of a disagreement with one of the materials experts where I work because he wanted us (production people of which I'm a part) to lay down a 6" bead of epoxy out of the mixing nozzle before applying it to the parts we make.  I said that's wasteful and he relented, only because we use high grade epoxy like 3M.  The point I'm trying to make is to assure you get even flow out of both the resin and hardener nozzles before you trust the epoxy.

 

7 minutes ago, HSTNGolfer said:

Spend the money to get the cartridge gun. The dispenser gun works great for getting the correct 2:1 ratio. I would also get the 1:1 plunger with it as there are other epoxy cartridges that need a 1:1 ratio. As @Nessism said, purge out the first bit by squeezing out a little blob and discarding it. Then dispense as much as you need, mix thoroughly. Place the cap back on and store indoors at 70 degrees F. 

 

It looks like the Golfworks high-impact epoxy is very similar to the V.O. Baker G-1400 series. I switched to this some years ago and have had  excellent results since. 

https://vobaker.com/product/g-1400-series-high-impact-and-torque-resistant-shafting-epoxy-black/

 


Thanks guys, i'll invest in the cartridge gun. Attempting to purge out the first bit resulted in losing about a 1/4 of Part A because Part B literally did not come out until a ton of Part A did, seemed really wasteful and messy. 

Sorry for hijacking the thread @golfman1023, to address your actual question, epoxy can often feel a little bit pliable after the initial cure, especially Golfworks stuff that has a little more flexibility. It is nothing to worry about and should be plenty safe to use with the normal caveats around proper mixing and curing temps. 

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX 
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* Kuro Kage 80XTS
Taylormade SIM Max 18.5* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro Orange 90TX
Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 18.5* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

 


Thanks guys, i'll invest in the cartridge gun. Attempting to purge out the first bit resulted in losing about a 1/4 of Part A because Part B literally did not come out until a ton of Part A did, seemed really wasteful and messy. 
 

I've never purged out more than gram (likely less) of epoxy coming out of the plunger.  It's still safer to be cautious than to not do it.  Especially if you are only mixing a few grams of epoxy where the mix ratio is far more critical.  Mixing enough to do a whole set, it's not that big a deal.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, golfman1023 said:

Hello, I reshafted my irons yesterday.

 

I used the Golfworks Tour Set epoxy.

 

Does anyone know how hard this epoxy should be after 24 hours? I mixed 10.0 g and 10.0 g of Parts A and B thoroughly, and added shafting beads and mixed again.

 

The result is hard, but somewhat pliable. Not brittle, or rock solid. Can't crack it.

 

Clubheads won't budge when I attempt to twist

 

Good to go, or risky?

Unless you know the exact densities of the Part A and B, you should NEVER mix the same weight as this will not give you a 1:1 ratio.  10 g of A and 10 g of B are not the same volume in almost every type of epoxy. You should be mixing volumes.  This is why you likely are getting a epoxy that is pliable.  Is it enough to affect the strength of the bond?  I can't answer that for sure.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, golfman1023 said:

Hello, I reshafted my irons yesterday.

 

I used the Golfworks Tour Set epoxy.

 

Does anyone know how hard this epoxy should be after 24 hours? I mixed 10.0 g and 10.0 g of Parts A and B thoroughly, and added shafting beads and mixed again.

 

The result is hard, but somewhat pliable. Not brittle, or rock solid. Can't crack it.

 

Clubheads won't budge when I attempt to twist

 

Good to go, or risky?

 

Wait until tomorrow or the nest day to test the epoxy again.  Pretty sure it'll crack then.  Because it's a bit pliable shouldn't be an issue.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Valtiel said:

 


Thanks guys, i'll invest in the cartridge gun. Attempting to purge out the first bit resulted in losing about a 1/4 of Part A because Part B literally did not come out until a ton of Part A did, seemed really wasteful and messy. 
 

 

Your comment indicates the cartridge was not filled correctly.  Big red flag.  You might want to ditch it and ask for a refund.  This is the risk with low quality cartridges...and one of the reasons 3M costs so much.  

  • Thanks 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2020 at 9:52 AM, golfman1023 said:

The instructions say 1:1 by weight or volume...

Unless there is a data sheet or says directly on the bottle/tube what the 2 densities are and they are the same... Go with the volume every time.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2020 at 10:20 PM, Socrates said:

Unless you know the exact densities of the Part A and B, you should NEVER mix the same weight as this will not give you a 1:1 ratio.  10 g of A and 10 g of B are not the same volume in almost every type of epoxy. You should be mixing volumes.  This is why you likely are getting a epoxy that is pliable.  Is it enough to affect the strength of the bond?  I can't answer that for sure.

 

I agree.  I've never weighed epoxy. I squirt out a line of each (I use the 1 to 1 ratio epoxy).  Then I take a razor blade and cut the epoxy to same length.  Call me picky. Mix well - more than you think is adequate.  If you have a problem getting epoxy to flow simply put it in a ziplock bag and drop into hot water for a couple minutes.  This usually softens it enough to get good flow.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 WGC Workday Championship @ The Concession Photos- Links & Discussion (UpDaTeD)
      Please post any questions or comments here.
       
      Links...
       
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #6
      Cameron Smith's Cameron 11.5 putter - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      Cameron putter 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      2021 Ping putters - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      Rory wearing new Nike Tour Victory II shoes - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      Odyssey putters - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
       
      • 66 replies
    • 2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - discussion
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #1
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #2
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #3
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #4
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #5
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #6
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #7
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #8
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #9

      Ryan Moore with Axis 1 putter @ 2021 AT&T PB
       
       
       
      Please post any questions and comments here
      • 59 replies
    • 2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Discussion
      General galleries
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #1
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #2
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #3
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #4
      Monday Qualifier for Waste Management Open 
      Special galleries
       
      Ping PLD putters - 2021 WMPO Scott Brown with MMT graphite shafts in his ProTo Concept irons - 2021 WMPO TaylorMade putter cover from 2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open New Srixon golf balls - 2021 WMPO Bettinardi putters & cover - 2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open Cameron putters -2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open Piretti putters -2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open Cameron mallets - 2021 WMPO Odyssey 2-ball Ten - 2021 WMPO  
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      Jason Day's Bag...
        • Like
      • 21 replies
    • 2021 FARMERS WITB & Equipment Photos- Links and comments
      We are back on the ground at the 2021 Farmers PGA Tour event. Please add you comments in this thread. Here are links to all the galleries:
       
      Special galleries:
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #1
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #2
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #3
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #4
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #5
       
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #6
       
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #7
       
      Cameron putters - Farmers 2021
       
      Odyssey 2-ball Ten - Farmers 2021
       
      Project X Even Flow RipTide MX & LX proto shafts - Framers 2021
       
      TaylorMade putter cover for Torrey Pines - Farmers 2021
       
      Sling Shot training aid - Farmers 2021
       
       
      • 47 replies
    • 2021 American Express WITB & Equipment Photos- Links and comments
      We are back on the ground at the American Express PGA event.
       
      Here are links to all the galleries:
       
      Cameron putters - 2021 American Express
      PXG Gen 4 prototype drivers - new putters
      UST Maymiya LinQ shafts - American Express 2021
      Mitsubishi Kaili & MMT shafts - American Express 2021
      Titleist TSi 2 & TSi 3 hybrids - American Express 2021
      TaylorMade putter cover for Palm Springs/Palm Desert - American Express
      New Aldila Synergy, Ascent & prototype shafts - American Express 2021
      Callaway Apex Pro iron, Epic Driver and fairway, Apex iron & hybrid - American Express 2021
      New Perfect Practice training aids - American Express 2021
      New KBS prototype shafts - American Express 2021
       
        • Like
      • 18 replies

×
×
  • Create New...