2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Biggest danger in DJ winning the Masters

For all golf instructors out there - isn’t it dangerous when you see a guy with a swing like DJ winning majors... with every future and/or actual students questioning: “Well, DJ’s lead wrist is definitely more bowed at P4 than this”... “Don’t want me to fire those hips that much? Have you seen how open is DJ at impact?!”... “Watch his trail elbow in transition / under the lead from the top!”...

Obviously a tremendous athlete that has extreme traits - I guess my thought is, what should we learn from him ‘swing-wise’ that, without going to extremes, could and should be ingrained and relatively easy to repeat?...

Impact is the most important factor for a golf swing.  DJ's impact position is a marvel to look at.  He has plenty going on in his swing that isn't considered the prototype swing.  He cocks his wrist too soon on the back swing.  His wrist is too bowed at the top.  He goes past parallel, blah blah blah.  Who cares?  The good things I take away from his swing is how loose and free flowing his downswing is.  There is no tension.  His hips fire and he lets his arms drop into the slot and the rest is history. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Most of the teachers I talk to marvel at DJ's swing and like his 'bowed' left wrist at p4.  

The likely issue to come from it is that people will want to copy DJ and either don't have the ability to do it or they are missing key matchups that make DJ's swing work or they can do a version of it okay enough, but would have been better with a different motion that they could do more effectively (imagine somebody like Matthew Wolff trying to do DJ's swing).

But there really isn't anything 'wrong' with DJ's swing. It's unique, but much of his swing can be used for others to learn from.

RH

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Impact is the most important factor for a golf swing.  DJ's impact position is a marvel to look at.  He has plenty going on in his swing that isn't considered the prototype swing.  He cocks his wrist too soon on the back swing.  His wrist is too bowed at the top.  He goes past parallel, blah blah blah.  Who cares?  The good things I take away from his swing is how loose and free flowing his downswing is.  There is no tension.  His hips fire and he lets his arms drop into the slot and the rest is history. 

There is a lot of tension in his swing, the only way to get into such positions requires a lot of flexibility. 

• Like 1

I think this horse left the barn when Jim Furyk first won. 

I think it probably works out both ways. If you know a lot about the golf swing, you realize what makes it work for an individual. If you don't know much about it, you probably don't recognize the nuances that you'd want to try to copy.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jmkenn0 said:

Pretty easy to stop it - if a person wants to swing like DJ, make them dunk a basketball first on a 10 foot goal.  

So Charles Barkley, albeit when he was younger, would be a candidate to swing like DJ?

When I was younger, I could dunk pretty easily, I am 6' 5", so an inch or so taller than DJ, I could not swing like DJ.

I see no correlation.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MtlJayMan said:

For all golf instructors out there - isn’t it dangerous when you see a guy with a swing like DJ winning majors... with every future and/or actual students questioning: “Well, DJ’s lead wrist is definitely more bowed at P4 than this”... “Don’t want me to fire those hips that much? Have you seen how open is DJ at impact?!”... “Watch his trail elbow in transition / under the lead from the top!”...

Obviously a tremendous athlete that has extreme traits - I guess my thought is, what should we learn from him ‘swing-wise’ that, without going to extremes, could and should be ingrained and relatively easy to repeat?...

Don't see anything dangerous about it.

When I was a youngster I could imitate every NY Yankee batting stance/prep. Tried 'em all but ended up developing one that worked for me.

Nothing different about golf. Players will see something that works well and make an attempt (or 10) to try to replicate it to see if it works for them. I do it all the time with putting grips/strokes. Most I abandon fairly quickly. Others I'll try from time to time

But in general, if it works, great. If not, back to the drawing board. smiley-eatdrink004.gif.145e4569872d564f4

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

To me the best thing the average golfer can take away from dj isn’t swing related but attitude.   Goodness the number of things that have happened to him yet he just puts them behind him and moves on.  Even Rory is impressed

Rory McIlroy got a front-row seat for the DJ show over two rounds. He bested Johnson in the second round, but still was singing praises for his playing partner after the round. And he made Johnson’s game seem quite simple.

“(He’s been playing) great, same as he’s been playing the last few months,” McIlroy said. “See ball, hit ball, see putt, hole putt, go to the next … (He) makes it look so simple at times.”

There are few higher compliments in golf than being told your game is simple. There are plenty of ways to mess things up, so the simpler, the better. The mental edge Johnson carries was another point of emphasis for McIlroy.

“I think he’s got one of the best attitudes towards the game of golf in the history of the game,” McIlroy said. “I don’t know if I can compare him to anyone else, but the way he approaches the game is awesome.”

Edited by glk
  • Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

2 hours ago, KMeloney said:

I think this horse left the barn when Jim Furyk first won. 

I think it probably works out both ways. If you know a lot about the golf swing, you realize what makes it work for an individual. If you don't know much about it, you probably don't recognize the nuances that you'd want to try to copy.

I think that sums it up... pretty sure a lot of the Wrx members that post here can see what works for him, and more importantly why it does... my original post had more to do with golf instructors that would probably get a lot of comments from students that want to copy DJ's swing/positions (and can't figure out why their coach don't want them to go that way) without recognizing those nuances...

1 hour ago, evanleeball said:

I’d argue that a lot of amateurs would benefit from *attempting* to bow their wrist at the top. 

Agreed (but maybe not to that extreme) - as it also relates to the trail wrist extension and 'easier' clubface closure with lead hip pushback (rotation left)... but, serious question, why do you think isn't that easy to just set it early as he does without causing other harms in the takeaway/backswing?... (that would settle that aspect once and for all)

1 hour ago, glk said:

To me the best thing the average golfer can take away from dj isn’t swing related but attitude.   Goodness the number of things that have happened to him yet he just puts them behind him and moves on.  Even Rory is impressed

Totally agree (and that's definitely the most impressive part)... that's why I asked for 'swing'-wise, for the average golfer / athletic guy - what would you say are the best take away from his swing that can be 'easily' copied and consistenly repeated?

Forget his swing, I'm much more worried about duffers deciding they need to read every putt from four directions when it's their turn to play. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

3 hours ago, double_d said:

So Charles Barkley, albeit when he was younger, would be a candidate to swing like DJ?

When I was younger, I could dunk pretty easily, I am 6' 5", so an inch or so taller than DJ, I could not swing like DJ.

I see no correlation.

If you can't dunk a basketball you can't swing like DJ != if you can dunk a basketball you can swing like DJ.  But yes, you have to have a very similar build to DJ to swing like he does, tall, lanky, long arms, and be athletic.  So if you aren't that, then don't even try?

41 minutes ago, jmkenn0 said:

If you can't dunk a basketball you can't swing like DJ != if you can dunk a basketball you can swing like DJ.  But yes, you have to have a very similar build to DJ to swing like he does, tall, lanky, long arms, and be athletic.  So if you aren't that, then don't even try?

I think the similar build has more to do with being able to swing like DJ than the dunking of a basketball. Although vertical leap is a pretty good barometer for athleticism.

The fact that people always say "DJ can dunk! wow! He's amazing"  is interesting to me. He is an amazing golfer. The obsession with dunking is funny to me.

He's 6'4" with a wingspan of probably 6'6" or 6'7" (typical average is a person's wingspan = their height) his has to be more than his height.

I find a guy who is 6'4", lean with a 6'6" wingspan dunking, somewhat unremarkable, I'd be surprised if he couldn't.

but like i said i am 6'5" with a 6'6" wingspan so DJ dunking doesn't really impress me.

Edited by double_d
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Krt22 said:

There is a lot of tension in his swing, the only way to get into such positions requires a lot of flexibility. 

I think there is a misunderstanding here.  When I say tension, I mean when amateurs tense up their shoulders as they initiate the back swing.  They have a death grip on the club and their forearms get really stiff.  Tension kills power in the the golf swing.  Forces the golfer to initiate the downswing with the upper body and arms instead of lower body.  DJ's swing is free flowing and loose. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Just now, phizzy30 said:

I think there is a misunderstanding here.  When I say tension, I mean when amateurs tense up their shoulders as they initiate the back swing.  They have a death grip on the club and their forearms get really stiff.  Tension kills power in the the golf swing.  Forces the golfer to initiate the downswing with the upper body and arms instead of lower body.  DJ's swing is free flowing and loose. 

No it really isn't, it just looks that way because he has everything perfectly synced, but the amount of stretch and tension at the top of his swing has to be immense just to get into that position. In order to generate all of that power, the muscles need to properly stretch and fire in the correct sequence. The issues you describe by amateurs have to do with moving incorrectly and thus adding in compensations which disrupt the swing, but if those disruptions didnt occur many would completely miss the ball

To me, biggest danger is now they'll want to "DJ Proof" Augusta and further diminish the original character of the course.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

34 minutes ago, GSDriver said:

To me, biggest danger is now they'll want to "DJ Proof" Augusta and further diminish the original character of the course.

Only firmer greens would have diminished this masterpiece - guy was a machine all tourney long - and if the ones wanting to DJ proof it don’t understand that... then it’s a lost cause

https://www.golfwrx.com/640819/ways-to-win-determined-dustin/