2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Biggest danger in DJ winning the Masters

3 hours ago, GSDriver said:

To me, biggest danger is now they'll want to "DJ Proof" Augusta and further diminish the original character of the course.

Why would they DJ proof ANGC when it was playing noticeably easier due to weather and it being Nov???

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

On 11/16/2020 at 5:46 PM, MtlJayMan said:

For all golf instructors out there 

Obviously a tremendous athlete that has extreme traits - I guess my thought is, what should we learn from him ‘swing-wise’ that, without going to extremes, could and should be ingrained and relatively easy to repeat?...

Let’s be honest...the only instructor who has de-coded DJ’s key move and brought it to the masses is this guy 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, A.Princey said:

Why would they DJ proof ANGC when it was playing noticeably easier due to weather and it being Nov???

Clearly you missed my sarcasm....changing any golf course, let alone ANGC because of a tournament score is plain silly.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

On 11/16/2020 at 7:46 PM, MtlJayMan said:

For all golf instructors out there - isn’t it dangerous when you see a guy with a swing like DJ winning majors... with every future and/or actual students questioning: “Well, DJ’s lead wrist is definitely more bowed at P4 than this”... “Don’t want me to fire those hips that much? !”...

A decent instructor will reinforce to a student that pro golfers are freaks of nature, and that it's impossible to copy a Rory or DJ swing exactly. Really, do you think Rory worries about what DJ's wrist looks like at P4?

On 11/16/2020 at 8:27 PM, mgoblue83 said:

Seems very obvious at this point that there are many successful ways to swing a golf club and the key is matching up movement patterns with the individual players bio-mechanics. Frankly, any modern instructor who thinks everyone should swing the club the same way isn't worth listening to.

Individual biomechanics... a good instructor will tease out the golf inside each individual. A serious golfer needs to find his/her swing.

image.png.23d9832ebc89732a2590be9e1bea56ee.pngNicklaus, Palmer and Player all had different top positions, and different tempos (see left), but all three won tournaments.

Jim Furyk has an unusual swing because he broke his arm as a youngster. But, he wins tournaments.

I'm 70 years old and have hip trouble and an impinged right shoulder from an old injury. Thus, my hands don't go above ear level at the top. But, I can still rotate 90* and get good lateral sweep through ball.

I wouldn't teach my swing motion to a youngster, but it works (usually) for me.

Edited by ChipNRun
  • Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

23 hours ago, evanleeball said:

I’d argue that a lot of amateurs would benefit from *attempting* to bow their wrist at the top. 

If they do not have deep hands at p4 or have a very short backswing ala Rahm, then yeah.  Deep hand path and long swing with a bowed left wrist would likely elect them mayor to  Snap-Hook City.

HoC

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Zitlow said:

Matt Wolff is only 21, he may have a Green Jacket in his future. What do y'all think about his across the line shaft at the top? 

images.jpg

The parts match. 

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

1 hour ago, RichieHunt said:

If they do not have deep hands at p4 or have a very short backswing ala Rahm, then yeah.  Deep hand path and long swing with a bowed left wrist would likely elect them mayor to  Snap-Hook City.

HoC

Just trying to understand this part - because of the deep hand path, early bowed lead wrist and general tendencies of the amateur to get OTT -> out-to-in path + obvisousclosed face : left of the planet

If one can come in-to-out though, early bowed wrist would be benefical because of 'lesser rate of closure' of the clubface in the hitting zone (and possible to pushback hard on the lead hip -without flipping) right?

On 11/17/2020 at 9:20 AM, double_d said:

So Charles Barkley, albeit when he was younger, would be a candidate to swing like DJ?

When I was younger, I could dunk pretty easily, I am 6' 5", so an inch or so taller than DJ, I could not swing like DJ.

I see no correlation.

Agree completely.  I dunked a ball first in the 7th grade gym class , and I can’t bow my wrist like that.   But you have to remember.  Dunking a basketball is considered some mythical super power by most , loll.  Most guys over 6-2  have done it. At least one handed.  And it has zero to do with playing golf.  Zero.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

51 minutes ago, MtlJayMan said:

Just trying to understand this part - because of the deep hand path, early bowed lead wrist and general tendencies of the amateur to get OTT -> out-to-in path + obvisousclosed face : left of the planet

If one can come in-to-out though, early bowed wrist would be benefical because of 'lesser rate of closure' of the clubface in the hitting zone (and possible to pushback hard on the lead hip -without flipping) right?

I'd say you are looking at it too statically and not enough dynamically. When ams get their hands too deep, its usually from sucking inside early, raising the club up, and then are forced to come over it due to the dynamics of how they got to there.  For the ams with too deep of hands that don't come over the top, well they will get stuck back there, invariably drop the right shoulder (and open the face), and then flip at it. Most pros who play with the bowed wrist at the top play a fade, but they dont get stuck and rotate hard to mitigate the in-to-out path. DJ plays a 10.5 degree driver because he almost leans the shaft forward, no am is close to having those impact conditions

1 hour ago, Krt22 said:

Most pros who play with the bowed wrist at the top play a fade, but they dont get stuck and rotate hard to mitigate the in-to-out path.

Good take - and interesting that they're playing a power fade / cut even though their bowed lead wrist and in to out swing would promote more of a draw - this allows them to rotate/pushback hard for sure

6 minutes ago, MtlJayMan said:

Good take - and interesting that they're playing a power fade / cut even though their bowed lead wrist and in to out swing would promote more of a draw - this allows them to rotate/pushback hard for sure

Except they don't always have an in to out path, especially with driver. 

On 11/16/2020 at 6:29 PM, phizzy30 said:

Impact is the most important factor for a golf swing.  DJ's impact position is a marvel to look at.  He has plenty going on in his swing that isn't considered the prototype swing.  He cocks his wrist too soon on the back swing.  His wrist is too bowed at the top.  He goes past parallel, blah blah blah.  Who cares?  The good things I take away from his swing is how loose and free flowing his downswing is.  There is no tension.  His hips fire and he lets his arms drop into the slot and the rest is history. 

All this and the look of his fade on Toptracer last week. The announcers were talking about how Im's drives looked automatic but the look of Johnson's through the air were far more impressive. The biggest danger is a student going to see his pro and saying, "I want to hit my drives just like DJ's."

Man, I'd doubt most could even fake his backswing position, let alone actually contort themselves in such a way with any intent or possibility of actually hitting a golf ball. 

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

13 hours ago, OldFrog75 said:

I'd say that for most players, myself included, bowing the left wrist like that is inviting a bad case of golfers' elbow.

Curious about this; golfers' elbow caused by extreme trail wrist extension at the top + trail shoulder external rotation in transition + pronated trail forearm (supinating in the downswing) -> all sort of contorsion in the trail arm from the top to impact, right?

On 11/16/2020 at 11:22 PM, Zitlow said:

He sets the shaft and club face pretty much on his left arm plane right off the ball which means fewer compensations in the swing. The more compensations the more inconsistency. 

DUSTIN JOHNSON SLO MOTION GOLF SWING - MASTERS PREPERATION.mp4_snapshot_00.14_[2020.11.16_22.17.32].jpg

I am not an instructor and I'm not suggesting I swing it like DJ, but I have had some success doing a few things similar.

Got back into the game after a long layoff. Previously played junior golf to a mid-single digit handicap and had one of those cookie cutter swings that everyone who grew up playing in the 2000's was taught. Was awful when I got back into it this summer, got a video lesson, and one of the primary focuses was strengthening my grip. I had never played with a strong grip before and ended up in a weird position at address with my hands pressed forward and club slightly hooded shut just to feel like the club was square to my target. 

This starting position made me feel exactly how you described with the shaft and club face on plane with my left arm. I would chip balls around and center the ball every time, but when I tried making a full swing the results weren't as consistent. One day at the range I started setting my wrists early and pitched the ball at different targets. Again, centered everything so I kept extending from a pitch to a 3/4 swing and eventually a full swing with very good results. I also felt like I had way more tension in my hands and arms than how I was taught, but the results were great so I went with it.

I'm still swinging this way, with tweaks to my set-up to get rid of the hand position and angle of the club face, and have had great results. It's completely different to how I was taught, but it has been remarkably consistent. Because of the strong grip and early wrist-set, I started watching videos of DJ. I could be completely wrong, but from the videos there are a few things I see in DJ's swing that I coincidentally feel in my own.

Because of the tension in my arms and hands, I don't feel like I'm whipping the club and I don't really see that motion in DJ's swing either. The strong grip and early wrist set allows me to just focus on turning my body and maintaining that angle that I set early on. I also don't feel the need to focus on the face rotating as much and it stays square to the ball longer. The tension is different, but it helps me feel like I don't need to manipulate the clubface and simplifies the swing.

I'm not an instructor and everything I just said could be incorrect or the opposite of what DJ feels, but from the looks of his swing there are a few things that I've picked up on that have helped my ball striking tremendously.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pktaske said:

Even Mickey Rivers?

I'd actually stopped with the imitations by the time Mickey got to the Yanks. :classic_biggrin:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X