2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Vokey SM8 vs RTX Zipcore

hypergolf

10 minutes ago, nova6868 said:

I was very interested in trying the new Zipcore Tour Raw with a custom grind. Specifically I wanted a 58 Mid with the heel grind. Figured this would be something like a Vokey M or D grind. However the website says they are no longer taking custom orders. I don't know if they were just overwhelmed with orders or what...

Same.  I was thinking of ordering the exact same setup.  

I have the joy of having the Titleist PGA fitting center and ball plant nearby, so while I hit both I’m not sure it was a fair fight. 

The fitting at their outdoor center with hundreds of wedges/lofts/lies/bounces was pretty hard to beat. So, while I liked the Ziocore, it just wasn’t close to what I was able to test and fit at the titleist HQ. 

Well, I’ve never gamed Vokeys, so can’t make that direct comparison. I went to Zipcores from TM MG’s though, and they are night & day.

Absolutely love the look and feel of the Zipcores so far. Still have snow on the ground here, so have only hit them in the garage and on simulators, but I absolutely love them so far!

I’ve got 52* and 58* in Mid Bounce, but have considered adding a 46* and 54* as well (to replace set PW and/or bend the 52* and go 46, 50, 54, 58). Have also considered getting a 58* Low to have another option for dry conditions in the Summer/Fall. Partly for practical reasons, but also because I just love the look and feel so much and just want to have more of them in my bag! 😍

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Big Bertha 23 (19*) / Cally RCH 65 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland CBX (48*), RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I really think it's their VT Sole that is making positive difference for certain types of players.

I used to be die hard Mizuno iron user but ever since I found Srixon, I converted to their irons.

Then never thought I would get rid of the Vokeys but because of my irons I tried out their wedges and converted...

Then I have also moved onto their Z Star balls from Pro V1....

I think Srixon/Cleveland captures new customers through this natural/common progression...

Irons -> Wedges/DUI -> Balls

• Like 2

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

8 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Well, I’ve never gamed Vokeys, so can’t make that direct comparison. I went to Zipcores from TM MG’s though, and they are night & day.

Absolutely love the look and feel of the Zipcores so far. Still have snow on the ground here, so have only hit them in the garage and on simulators, but I absolutely love them so far!

I’ve got 52* and 58* in Mid Bounce, but have considered adding a 46* and 54* as well (to replace set PW and/or bend the 52* and go 46, 50, 54, 58). Have also considered getting a 58* Low to have another option for dry conditions in the Summer/Fall. Partly for practical reasons, but also because I just love the look and feel so much and just want to have more of them in my bag! 😍

I’m in on zipcore and fell the same way you have. I made sure I covered all options. One is rtx4 but that’s because they don’t offer the xlow bounce anymore. 

1EBF96E3-A758-42EA-9EFA-03152CBBA1BD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, hypergolf said:

I really think it's their VT Sole that is making positive difference for certain types of players.

I used to be die hard Mizuno iron user but ever since I found Srixon, I converted to their irons.

Then never thought I would get rid of the Vokeys but because of my irons I tried out their wedges and converted...

Then I have also moved onto their Z Star balls from Pro V1....

I think Srixon/Cleveland captures new customers through this natural/common progression...

Irons -> Wedges/DUI -> Balls

I’m going the other way...fell in love with the wedges, then added a U85 3-iron, and now will strongly consider ZX5/ZX7 when it’s time to switch up my irons!

Haven’t tried their balls yet, but will buy a box sometime this season and give them a shot.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

13 minutes ago, Bburch4 said:

I’m in on zipcore and fell the same way you have. I made sure I covered all options. One is rtx4 but that’s because they don’t offer the xlow bounce anymore. 

1EBF96E3-A758-42EA-9EFA-03152CBBA1BD.jpeg

Haha...love it!!

Yeah, I’m picking up a 54* Mid tomorrow and will bend the 52* to 50*! So I’ll be going 50, 54, 58 and use the 54 full-time for bunker shots and the 58 around the green!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

9 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

I’m going the other way...fell in love with the wedges, then added a U85 3-iron, and now will strongly consider ZX5/ZX7 when it’s time to switch up my irons!

Haven’t tried their balls yet, but will buy a box sometime this season and give them a shot.

Yes. That is another natural progression.

Wedges -> Irons/UDI -> Balls

Congrats on your future ZX5/ZX7 combo 😄 

• Haha 1

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

8 minutes ago, hypergolf said:

Yes. That is another natural progression.

Wedges -> Irons/UDI -> Balls

Congrats on your future ZX5/ZX7 combo 😄 

🤣🤣 For sure!

Almost bought a set of 765’s last month, but ended up getting a great deal on ‘17 TM P770’s. Srixon will get my first look when it’s time to change up though for sure!

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

On 2/25/2021 at 5:54 AM, smvolkma said:

I have tried both and I use the zipcore Raw.  Great turf interaction with the mid grinds.  I went with a modus 115 and the feel is wonderful.  I also think the heads feel softer.  Obviously, vokey has more stock grind options which is great.  Good luck!  Both are good!

100% Concur with this.  Currently, a SM8 Vokey player, but tested the Zipcores and prefer the feel of them over the Vokey's.  However, Cleveland has stopped accepting custom orders (want 54 & 58 at 35.5" in length) and they also don't seem to have the black 58 Mid grind in stock so, I will continue to use my Vokey's until then. 

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

Waiting on the two Zipcore's that are in my sig.

Any day now, I can feeel it!!

• Like 1

TSR3 9* | Ventus Blue TR 6X

TSR2+ 13* | Ventus Red 7X 

T200 2-Iron | Ventus Blue HY 10X

T150's 3-PW | DG TI X100

SM10 Raw 

50.12F | DG TI X100

54.12D | DG TI S400

60.08M | DG TI S400

TM MySpider X Blk on Blk 34"

Titleist Pro V1

Added my new 54* Mid to the wedge setup yesterday and got the 52* bent to 50*...so now have the 50-54-58 Zipcore setup!

I was concerned about losing the 2* of Bounce going from 52 to 50, but still feels silky smooth and performance doesn’t seem like it will be affected. And the 54* seems extremely versatile and can execute a wide variety of shots already just from a little bit of practice with it on the hitting mat.

If you haven’t hit or swung them yet, check them out...they’re pure butter!!

64DC340E-4344-495D-9CB7-6423757B16CD.jpeg

2C3D173B-8468-40A6-9263-1E57E77DF0BD.jpeg

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Too much Cleveland love, need to sully it with my SM8 love affair. I was a long time Callaway wedge player, back to the first wedges Roger Cleveland designed for them. Played the RTX for a little while, still have a 62* X Low. Tried the ZipCore when they came out but the SM8 are the first Vokeys I’ve ever gamed. They just won out on consistency and turf interaction for me. 

• Like 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

7 hours ago, MPAndreassi said:

Too much Cleveland love, need to sully it with my SM8 love affair. I was a long time Callaway wedge player, back to the first wedges Roger Cleveland designed for them. Played the RTX for a little while, still have a 62* X Low. Tried the ZipCore when they came out but the SM8 are the first Vokeys I’ve ever gamed. They just won out on consistency and turf interaction for me. 

Haha...yeah, this thread was turning into a Zipcore thread for sure!

I’ve never gamed Vokeys so can’t compare head-to-head. Have only seen the SM8 and swung them in the golf shop, so had limited time with them.

Zipcore just appeal to my eye more and just feel like I can control and manipulate every part of the swing and contact with the ball...but would be open to trying Vokeys sometime too though.

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

12 hours ago, TrueWRX said:

Was told 3-4 weeks. Hopefully warms up here so I can get it outside. 

Hopefully you’ll get them right around the time the snow melts. Countdown to the Spring is on...can’t wait!!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Well I did it . . . 

54 Full is ordered.

• Like 1

Driver: (10.5) Taylormade SIM2 MAX Graphite Design YS-6X

3-Wood: (13) Taylormade V-Steel Grafalloy ProLite 35X

Hybrid: (18) Ping Rapture Aldlia VS By You 80X

Utility: (21) New Level NLU-01 True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Irons: (5-P) New Level 902 PD True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Gap/Sand: (48, 54) New Level SPN Forged S Grind True Temper Dynamic Gold X100 (48), S400 (54)

Lob: (58) Vokey Wedgeworks T Grind True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
Putter: Tad Moore Pro1 Long Neck

Ball: Snell MTB Black

I too prefer the SM7 to the SM* and have been a long time Vokey user. Just recently ordered the Tour Rack 60* low with and TI S400 shaft. Going to see how it stacks up against my low bounce SM7 60* K Grind.

I liked the feel of the raw and have yet to pull the trigger on any Wedgeworks so we will see.

Also seriously considering scheduling a fitting with Artisan in June or July both as an experience and to get some great, fully custom wedges.

1 hour ago, KGGolf said:

I too prefer the SM7 to the SM* and have been a long time Vokey user. Just recently ordered the Tour Rack 60* low with and TI S400 shaft. Going to see how it stacks up against my low bounce SM7 60* K Grind.

I liked the feel of the raw and have yet to pull the trigger on any Wedgeworks so we will see.

Also seriously considering scheduling a fitting with Artisan in June or July both as an experience and to get some great, fully custom wedges.

Curious -- where were you able to find the TI S400 on Cleveland's custom options? 

Edit: Clarification -- when I go down to the custom options and select TT TI the only option I have is X100.

Edited by MuniPukeLife

Gap/Sand: (48, 54) New Level SPN Forged S Grind True Temper Dynamic Gold X100 (48), S400 (54)

On 3/3/2021 at 11:15 AM, MuniPukeLife said:

Curious -- where were you able to find the TI S400 on Cleveland's custom options? 

Edit: Clarification -- when I go down to the custom options and select TT TI the only option I have is X100.

Follow up for those who may be affected -- TI S400 is currently backordered. Not the end of the world, worst case I throw an S400 in there myself.

On the bright side I'll get to see what this new Spinner is all about.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MuniPukeLife said:

Follow up for those who may be affected -- TI S400 is currently backordered. Not the end of the world, worst case I throw an S400 in there myself.

On the bright side I'll get to see what this new Spinner is all about.

The DG Spinners are awesome shafts...I would definitely give them a shot before replacing them.

Great weight to them, excellent feel, super smooth swinging them, and lots of spin on the ball. Not sure what there is to not like about them.

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

10 hours ago, northernmi said:

SM8 by a mile for me - really is a grind issue as I hate the VT style sole (which is what the mid is).  The F is great as my 50 and 55 while I really like the S at 60.  I did order a Zipcore to try it on the course in the fall and Cleveland botched the order badly.

The Full sole on the zipcore wedges are the same as the F grind. I dint mind the V sole on my 50*, but the 56 Full is PERFECT! My 60* is a Tour Rack Full sole with heel and trailing edge grind. As good a set of wedges as I’ve ever had. Give the Full sole a try.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

The Full sole on the zipcore wedges are the same as the F grind. I dint mind the V sole on my 50*, but the 56 Full is PERFECT! My 60* is a Tour Rack Full sole with heel and trailing edge grind. As good a set of wedges as I’ve ever had. Give the Full sole a try.

Nice to hear. 

I’m waiting on my 54* full Tour Rack with the S grind (trailing edge and heel grind). 

I’m hoping it will be perfect since I’ve dropped my 60* from the bag so I can carry a 3 wood.  So my 54* will be pulling bunker duty also when need be. 

TSR3 9* | Ventus Blue TR 6X

TSR2+ 13* | Ventus Red 7X 

T200 2-Iron | Ventus Blue HY 10X

T150's 3-PW | DG TI X100

SM10 Raw 

50.12F | DG TI X100

54.12D | DG TI S400

60.08M | DG TI S400

TM MySpider X Blk on Blk 34"

Titleist Pro V1

sounds like they are both very capable wedges. Do the Callaway wedges compare to these?

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

15 minutes ago, ob1soccer said:

sounds like they are both very capable wedges. Do the Callaway wedges compare to these?

I played MD5 last year, and didn't love them. I had played Callaway wedges for years, all the way back to the original MD wedges. I've never gamed Vokeys until this season. I can't really put my finger on what it was I didn't like about the Callaway, but just struggled with them a bit consistency wise. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

The black satin Zipcore is the best stock finish between the two, IMO. The slate blue you can get on Vokey's I slightly prefer over that. I may get a 50 zipcore in black and a 54S SM8 in slate blue since i have a bit of credit. I can't decide between the two, so maybe one of each is the answer. 

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

2 hours ago, 1s1k said:

Nice to hear. 

I’m waiting on my 54* full Tour Rack with the S grind (trailing edge and heel grind). 

I’m hoping it will be perfect since I’ve dropped my 60* from the bag so I can carry a 3 wood.  So my 54* will be pulling bunker duty also when need be. 

It works like a charm. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip