Rapsodo MLM indoor information

I wanted to get an inexpensive portable launch monitor for my garage so I can see what my ball flight looks like. The one from Rapsodo looked like the best bang for your buck (if you have an Apple product)

I wanted to see some sort of side spin otherwise it was useless to me and it wasn't clear if it showed that with indoor use. I had a chat with a representative there this am and she said it will show a positive or negative for left and right dispersion. the one thing I did not ask was will it tell you how far left or right your ball went. I 'll go ask that now. Also as of this morning it is compatible with Iphone 8. 

While this isn't perfect it's far less than a Mevo+.

Just sharing the info I learned.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just ordered one. I will compare to the GCQuad I have access to when I get a chance. Hoping I can use the GC to determine the main differences so that I can use the Rapsodo on a regular basis.

I bought one a few weeks ago. Overall, I'm really happy with it!  It's definitely not perfect indoor or outdoor, but its whole deal is "within 2.5% of Trackman's #s for 2.5% of the price," and I think

Got one for Christmas and I've logged about 15 indoor sessions with it, haven't had it outside, yet. I have a NetReturn about 8' in front of my ball and place the Rapsodo about 6' behind me.  Overall

I bought one a few weeks ago. Overall, I'm really happy with it!  It's definitely not perfect indoor or outdoor, but its whole deal is "within 2.5% of Trackman's #s for 2.5% of the price," and I think it has reasonably matched my expectations.

Outdoor, the shot tracer is fairly accurate about 85% of the time - there will be some random ones that just don't look right at all. I'd say carry distance (especially with short through mid irons) is only a few yards different, and it's consistently different. For example, on the course, I expect my 8i to carry 168 and the Rapsodo MLM will show low 170s; I know just to take a few yards off what the MLM says. It may be different for others, though, so it really helps if you have an idea of what the correct number should be. Also, launch angle can return some pretty crazy numbers sometimes, but it will at least pick up the difference between a long and short iron. I don't know what my launch is off Trackman, so I can't verify those numbers.

Indoor, the accuracy certainly CAN match the outdoor setting, but you have to really fine-tune the set up to be the perfect distance away from the unit and allow for the perfect amount of ball flight. I've found this varies by indoor lighting (e.g. when my garage door is open versus closed). There's no shot tracer estimate indoor, which does make it challenging to understand what's happening. Best substitute is the "launch direction" metric, but it doesn't tell you anything about side spin.

Let us know what you hear from their customer support!

• Like 1

Driver:       Ping G400 9* + 2g lead tape - PING Tour 65 S 

3-wood:    Ping G400 13.5* - PING Tour 75 X

3-hybrid:   Ping G400 19* - PING Alta CB 70 S

Irons:         Srixon Z785 4-PW - KBS Tour 130 X 

Wedges:    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50-10, 54-12 & 60-12 - DG S400 

Putter:       Ping Cadence TR Shea H

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2020 at 9:34 AM, dpolen said:

How much ball flight did you have for indoor setup?  With my setup in the basement, this seems to be my challenge for using one of the personal launch monitors indoors.

Thanks!!!

I have about 6-7 feet from ball to the net and then about 6-8 feet behind the ball. 

Got one for Christmas and I've logged about 15 indoor sessions with it, haven't had it outside, yet. I have a NetReturn about 8' in front of my ball and place the Rapsodo about 6' behind me.  Overall I think it does a decent job though there are plenty of shots where I look back at it and think "no way that's right". Of course i can't tell because I'm hitting into a net, but I would say on 10% of shots I have a question about accuracy based on how the shot felt.

I paid $400 during their Christmas sale. For that cost, it's worth it. Definitely not a Trackman, but more than sufficient for me to practice iron shots in my basement a couple of times a week.

• Like 1

Just received the MLM today and went through a session with all my irons in my garage mat and net. 16’ of distance to work with and 14’ ceiling. The unit began working on the 1st ball. 6.5’ from MLM to ball and then 8’ from ball to Net.

Started with the wedges and all 4 showed reliable and repeatable data.

That’s where it ended.

9-7 irons would not register distances more than 131(my PW distance).

Longest 4-iron was 171 yards and my on course avg is 211 yards.

Unit shut down the App numerous times and I had to open it again, re-connect and then hit another 12-15 balls then shut down again. I started with a fully charged battery.

I tried with my garage door open, closed, more LED lights in many positions in addition to the existing LEDs.

No heater or music on.

Pretty disappointing. Honestly bought it to work on my 175 yards and closer, but I can’t get reliable numbers outside of 130 yards.

I’m gonna try it at the outdoor range in a couple weeks when the restrictions are lifted.

Fingers crossed it will yield better results outside 130 Yards.

Rox

• Sad 1

Veterans Reporting for the 2021 season:

Ping G20 9.5°/KuroKage Silver 60X<br  />TS2 13.5/Hzrdus Smoke black 6.5<br />917F2 18/Ahina 82X<br/>Cobra Speedzone 19° Hybrid/NV Green 90S<br />Bridgestone 4-PW J15CBs/Tour Elevate 120 VSS X-Stiff<br />Cobra King Tour MiM Gap Wedge/AMT Wedge Black>SM8 54°
D Grind /KBS Tour S and 60°RTX-4 Black bent time 59°/KBS Tour S<br />Taylormade Spyder S Blue<br />Bridgestone R-XS

Rookie Tryouts for spring training:

ZX U3/modus 105X<br />ZX5 4-iron/$-Taper 125<br />5-PW ZX7/$-Taper 125<br />Z585 5 & 6/Tour Elevate VSS X-Stiff

11 hours ago, roxald said:

Just received the MLM today and went through a session with all my irons in my garage mat and net. 16’ of distance to work with and 14’ ceiling. The unit began working on the 1st ball. 6.5’ from MLM to ball and then 8’ from ball to Net.

That’s where it ended.

Unit shut down the App numerous times and I had to open it again, re-connect and then hit another 12-15 balls then shut down again. I started with a fully charged battery.

I tried with my garage door open, closed, more LED lights in many positions in addition to the existing LEDs.

No heater or music on.

Pretty disappointing. Honestly bought it to work on my 175 yards and closer, but I can’t get reliable numbers outside of 130 yards.

I’m gonna try it at the outdoor range in a couple weeks when the restrictions are lifted.

Rox

That's not normal. Contact Rapsodo. Unit was flawless for me. Also, make sure the MLM is on same level as the mat. Usually putting it on its case is perfect.

4 hours ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

That's not normal. Contact Rapsodo. Unit was flawless for me. Also, make sure the MLM is on same level as the mat. Usually putting it on its case is perfect.

Will do Frank!

Thanks for the help!

I tried the unit on the same level and then on a 1” block to elevate it a bit and didn’t make a difference.

Like I said, if I could get it to register reasonable data up to the 8-iron, that’s all I’m asking for.

Rox

• Like 1

Ping G20 9.5°/KuroKage Silver 60X<br  />TS2 13.5/Hzrdus Smoke black 6.5<br />917F2 18/Ahina 82X<br/>Cobra Speedzone 19° Hybrid/NV Green 90S<br />Bridgestone 4-PW J15CBs/Tour Elevate 120 VSS X-Stiff<br />Cobra King Tour MiM Gap Wedge/AMT Wedge Black>SM8 54°
D Grind /KBS Tour S and 60°RTX-4 Black bent time 59°/KBS Tour S<br />Taylormade Spyder S Blue<br />Bridgestone R-XS

ZX U3/modus 105X<br />ZX5 4-iron/$-Taper 125<br />5-PW ZX7/$-Taper 125<br />Z585 5 & 6/Tour Elevate VSS X-Stiff

On 1/5/2021 at 8:06 AM, KGGolf said:

I just ordered one. I will compare to the GCQuad I have access to when I get a chance. Hoping I can use the GC to determine the main differences so that I can use the Rapsodo on a regular basis.

Would love to hear about your comparison...look forward to seeing your feedback! Thanks in advance for sharing!

Driver: Taylormade M3 10.5 with Fujikura Speeder Evolution III

5 Wood: Callaway XR (stock shaft)

3H: Taylormade M2 (stock shaft)

4H: Taylormade M2 (stock shaft)

5W-PW: Callaway Diablo Forged (uniflex)

Wedges: 50, 54, 58 Ping Glide 3.0 SS (stock shaft)

Putter: Ping Redwood Piper S

Balls: Taylormade TP5/5X - Practice

Golf bag: Ping Hoofer Lite 2020

Laser Rangefinder: Callaway 300 Pro with slope

On 1/10/2021 at 6:06 PM, roxald said:

That’s where it ended.

No heater or music on.

Rox

I'm sure you'll get this all figured out! Good luck!

Driver: Taylormade M3 10.5 with Fujikura Speeder Evolution III

5 Wood: Callaway XR (stock shaft)

3H: Taylormade M2 (stock shaft)

4H: Taylormade M2 (stock shaft)

5W-PW: Callaway Diablo Forged (uniflex)

Wedges: 50, 54, 58 Ping Glide 3.0 SS (stock shaft)

Putter: Ping Redwood Piper S

Balls: Taylormade TP5/5X - Practice

Golf bag: Ping Hoofer Lite 2020

Laser Rangefinder: Callaway 300 Pro with slope

Thanks!

I fought with it a few times  again and same results so I am returning it but not giving up.

I already have another one on the way direct from Rapsodo.

Will have it in a week and will follow up.

It’s a great unit and easy to use, but the fact it kept shutting down made me follow Frank’s advice above and get it replaced. I suspect it’s a one off and my new one will be just fine.

Rox

• Like 1