Mizuno and Faldo show difference between blades and newer clubs...it’s the loft

30 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

All you have to do is go back and see that I deleted text from several posts and didn’t post again.  The posts are still there. Just no words.  You can’t technically delete posts anymore.  

That’s fine but like I posted a bit ago...I don’t go back. You’re correct of course we cannot full delete these days but for a regular poster in a thread it doesn’t matter. We don’t look back to see it was deleted.

Its all good with me. I just don’t see the issue. Some of the biggest gaps in loft specs are irone with 5* at the bottom of the set. I don’t see that as loft marketing though. If two sets both start at 46*pw and one goes up 5* per iron and the other 4* hen you get to the 7 iron it’s just about a whole club stronger LOFT DEGREE.  But...what does that mean? Are they trying to market a longer 7 iron? That makes no sense to me as the gaps would be messed up. In my way of thinking that is just one company looking at yardage gaps for most players and realizing 5* gaps makes the distance gaps hit more equal between clubs than 4*.  Most all have the top end less than than 4* as well. Same logic.

WITB
Tools for the job!

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never underestimate the desire of the holier-than-thou golfer to try to tell other people how they should think about the game in the most condescending way possible.

Never underestimate the desire of the amateur golfer to believe that stamping a 6 iron with a 7 is going to be some sort of magic elixir 

If you strike the ball like Nick Faldo... sure.   For everyone else it's a different story. 

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

That’s fine but like I posted a bit ago...I don’t go back. You’re correct of course we cannot full delete these days but for a regular poster in a thread it doesn’t matter. We don’t look back to see it was deleted.

Its all good with me. I just don’t see the issue. Some of the biggest gaps in loft specs are irone with 5* at the bottom of the set. I don’t see that as loft marketing though. If two sets both start at 46*pw and one goes up 5* per iron and the other 4* hen you get to the 7 iron it’s just about a whole club stronger LOFT DEGREE.  But...what does that mean? Are they trying to market a longer 7 iron? That makes no sense to me as the gaps would be messed up. In my way of thinking that is just one company looking at yardage gaps for most players and realizing 5* gaps makes the distance gaps hit more equal between clubs than 4*.  Most all have the top end less than than 4* as well. Same logic.

You’re right.  You came in after the fun police , and I agree. I don’t go and look back either usually.  The general sentiment was that I was posting too much in the thread , so I shut up.   Some how my replying to several people who posted @ me   Equaled me being in a tizzy etc.  nothing could have been further from the truth. 

fast forward to now and I found it hilarious that somehow I was still being mentioned days later.  Proving that I wasn’t forcing the conversation or the only one passionate about his opinion.  As it was said to be. 

my very simple take on it is this. Clubs are tools.  Specific tools. If I take a hammer and weld a philips head screw driver point to the hammers face , I can no longer drive nails with it.  But I may awkwardly screw in screws with it.  
   I see these Uber strong iron sets with 48-50 degree U or approach wedges as the same.  The pitching wedge is no longer a hammer so to speak.  You can’t use it for it’s stated purpose. But the wedge behind it you can.  And so on in both directions.  They’ve made it seem like you now Hit your PW farther.  In reality you don’t. You simply call your 9 iron a pw and your pw is now called a gap or approach or u wedge.  It’s true for all the irons up.  At the top of the bag you now have players saying “ should I put ina hybrid for the 5 iron “ And then you read that the 5 iron is 21 or so degrees.  Which is a 3 iron of yesterday.   Same same.  The  lofts haven’t changed. Only the names we call the clubs by.  

what’s next ? 13 degree “ 5 woods “?     

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 2

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red 6x 

TM RBZ 14* Addi 8x 

Ping g410 17.5* synergy blue 70TX 

Miura MC-501 3-Pw modus 130x 

Artisan 53 59 modus 130s 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

32 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

It likely fits the gapping with her wedges and woods better. *Some* manufacturers actually come out and say this very thing, they offer strong lofts for gapping options. 

Thank you, and yes I knew that.  It has been suggested in this thread by many posts that it is just marketing to make folks think they are just hitting it further with that set. 

WITB
Tools for the job!

1 hour ago, Shilgy said:

Thank you, and yes I knew that.  It has been suggested in this thread by many posts that it is just marketing to make folks think they are just hitting it further with that set. 

Well i did say *some* which means there are alot of manufacturers out there , and Ill even add some fitters, that will use the strong lofts as a selling tool to people who dont know any better. Im ok to a degree with that because ultimately its the consumer that is responsible for knowing what they are buying. I still wont let anyone tell me that manufacturers HAVE to have strong lofts because of technology and lower cg. Thats complete... well you know.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Shilgy said:

You mean like this?

• Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

15 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

You mean like this?

Lol.  So Tom Wishon is calling out the modern high vertical COG that I find so frustrating in today’s irons.  Dispelling the myth that an MB has a higher Vcog than the GI irons.  The truth is they raise the Vcog to put mass behind the ball on fat shots.  Thus promoting a fat strike . It’s the only way to make some of these irons feel solid.  Hit it 3 grooves high.  ( i500 is one example ). 

TM RBZ 14* Addi 8x 

Artisan 53 59 modus 130s 

2 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Lol.  So Tom Wishon is calling out the modern high vertical COG that I find so frustrating in today’s irons.  Dispelling the myth that an MB has a higher Vcog than the GI irons.  The truth is they raise the Vcog to put mass behind the ball on fat shots.  Thus promoting a fat strike . It’s the only way to make some of these irons feel solid.  Hit it 3 grooves high.  ( i500 is one example ). 

I remember you talking about using the i500.  Some of the CG locations of recent sets are a little puzzling.

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S

2 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I remember you talking about using the i500.  Some of the CG locations of recent sets are a little puzzling.

I just read that whole post again.  Man.  If somebody here wants to argue with that , I’ll sit back and watch for entertainment purposes.    Tom pretty much says it all. 

• Like 2

TM RBZ 14* Addi 8x 

Artisan 53 59 modus 130s 

I guess in a nutshell the number of wedges we need sums up the jacked lofts debate. Whilst every other iron in the bag gets jacked to stronger and stronger lofts the sand wedge remains sacrosanct at approximately 54-56° because it has to be to do its job. So accordingly we need about three wedges to bridge the loft gap to the 9 iron rather than the traditional 50° pitching wedge. With my 'traditional lofted' irons (47° PW) I only need one gap wedge. With the new models you need two or three and the loft increments are 5° or 6° to bridge the big gaps rather than the 'traditional' 4°. If a modern pitching wedge was truly a pitching wedge you wouldn't need all these extra gap wedges. 

Edited by kiwihacker
  • Thanks 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Mizuno MP58 4-PW irons
Cleveland RTX 2 52°/10°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

I have pretty good golf workshop setup at home and do my own club-building, doing non-standard builds, such s 3/8" or 1/4" increments, progressive swing-weights, etc.

For ME , the #1 factor by a land-slide that makes a club easier to hit is shaft length.  I'll readily say the sole reason I hit my 9i better than my 5i is purely because it is shorter.  By "better" I mean solid centre-face contact, which has nothing to do with the loft of the head.  The millisecond before impact, the ball does not know what head is arriving to deliver the strike.  For the shot called for, I don't care what is stamped on the bottom, or the measured loft,  just give my a club that delivers suitable height, distance, spin, descent angle.

With all this talk / promotion of super hot iron faces that launch with more ball speed, and launch higher per amount of loft,  then why are they putting longer shafts in these clubs  ???  The specs on the Callaway Epic Forged Star blow my mind.  Also note that above their 8i that is 29* and 37.0" , the shaft increments are then 5/8".  Should not all this tech allow us to use shorter shafts ???

https://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/iron-sets/irons-2019-epic-forged-star.html#product-specs

Mens Epic Forged Star Irons Product Specs

Name Loft Availability Standard Length Lie Offset (mm) Swing Weight
#5 22° RH / LH Custom Only 38.875" 59.50° 3.6 D0
#6 24° RH / LH Custom Only 38.25" 60.00° 3.4 D0
#7 26° RH / LH Custom Only 37.625" 60.50° 3.3 D0
#8 29° RH / LH Custom Only 37.00" 61.00° 3.1 D0
#9 33° RH / LH Custom Only 36.50" 61.50° 2.8 D0
PW 38° RH / LH Custom Only 36.00" 62.00° 2.4 D0
AW 43° RH / LH Custom Only 35.75" 62.50° 2.3 D0
GW 49° RH / LH Custom Only 35.50" 63.00° 1.9 D0
SW 55° RH / LH Custom Only 35.25" 63.00° 1.9 D0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS

Titleist TS3 10.5 with Evenflow T1100 White 65

Titleist TS2 16.5 with Accra Tour Z x275

Titleist TS2 19* hybrid with Evenflow White 90

Titleist TS2 23* hybrid with Accra FX300H

Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw

Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Steelfiber i110cw

Cleveland RTX 54* & 58* Mid with Steelfiber i110cw

Platinum M7 Tour with SS Pistol Grip

On 11/22/2020 at 11:12 AM, pinestreetgolf said:

If I knew Bladehunter's address I would absolutely get a driving iron from hurricane golf at around 40" and 45 grams, sand off the Turner label, and paint on "PW" and send it as a little present.

Like when a cat leaves a dead bird on your doorstep.  Its a sign of respect and friendship but, you know, its still a dead bird.

Also, TPC did a redesign!  We were closed 8 months.  Let me know if you get back down to NOLA and we can play again.  The course is very different.  Three hurricanes made it much easier and they cut the bunkers way down.  Only mention because they basically did exactly what you wanted them to do to the course - took out all the tiny bunkers and cut the big ones WAY back.  Course is slightly longer, but still way more fun and a lot less lost balls.

Interesting! Providing The Plague has lost it's affect on all of us, I could easily be back down there in the Spring. I'll definitely get in touch with you.

BTW, I'm seriously considering doing a refitting of all my equipment with MOI matching. First, I want to see how close my playing set is matched currently and second, to see what it does for me. About to order an MOI Speed Match Auditor from Golfmechanix. I will start a thread once I get started. It will probably be January though. I just moved into a new house and everything is still boxed up.

BT

• Like 1

Bag 1

Cobra King LTD Pro 9.5* HZRDUS Black 7 6.0 @ 44.5"
King LTD 14.5 - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43"
F6 5-7 @ 17.5 - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Bag 2
F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Bag 3
Mizuno ST190 9.5* - Diamana "Flowerband" Whiteboard 73 S @ 44.5"
Mizuno ST190 14.5* - Aldila RIP Phenom 80 S @ 43"
Epic Flash Heavenwood 19* - Aldila RIP Phenom 80 S @ 42" 
Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Roo Midsize

42 minutes ago, Ri_Redneck said:

Interesting! Providing The Plague has lost it's affect on all of us, I could easily be back down there in the Spring. I'll definitely get in touch with you.

BTW, I'm seriously considering doing a refitting of all my equipment with MOI matching. First, I want to see how close my playing set is matched currently and second, to see what it does for me. About to order an MOI Speed Match Auditor from Golfmechanix. I will start a thread once I get started. It will probably be January though. I just moved into a new house and everything is still boxed up.

BT

I would be really interested in the results of that 👍

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff
Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Radius Classic 8

3 hours ago, ARL67 said:

I have pretty good golf workshop setup at home and do my own club-building, doing non-standard builds, such s 3/8" or 1/4" increments, progressive swing-weights, etc.

For ME , the #1 factor by a land-slide that makes a club easier to hit is shaft length.  I'll readily say the sole reason I hit my 9i better than my 5i is purely because it is shorter.  By "better" I mean solid centre-face contact, which has nothing to do with the loft of the head.  The millisecond before impact, the ball does not know what head is arriving to deliver the strike.  For the shot called for, I don't care what is stamped on the bottom, or the measured loft,  just give my a club that delivers suitable height, distance, spin, descent angle.

With all this talk / promotion of super hot iron faces that launch with more ball speed, and launch higher per amount of loft,  then why are they putting longer shafts in these clubs  ???  The specs on the Callaway Epic Forged Star blow my mind.  Also note that above their 8i that is 29* and 37.0" , the shaft increments are then 5/8".  Should not all this tech allow us to use shorter shafts ???

https://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/iron-sets/irons-2019-epic-forged-star.html#product-specs

Mens Epic Forged Star Irons Product Specs

Name Loft Availability Standard Length Lie Offset (mm) Swing Weight
#5 22° RH / LH Custom Only 38.875" 59.50° 3.6 D0
#6 24° RH / LH Custom Only 38.25" 60.00° 3.4 D0
#7 26° RH / LH Custom Only 37.625" 60.50° 3.3 D0
#8 29° RH / LH Custom Only 37.00" 61.00° 3.1 D0
#9 33° RH / LH Custom Only 36.50" 61.50° 2.8 D0
PW 38° RH / LH Custom Only 36.00" 62.00° 2.4 D0
AW 43° RH / LH Custom Only 35.75" 62.50° 2.3 D0
GW 49° RH / LH Custom Only 35.50" 63.00° 1.9 D0
SW 55° RH / LH Custom Only 35.25" 63.00° 1.9 D0

Roughly, the SW, GW, AW, PW-5 Epic Forged Star irons are very similar in loft to the Mizuno MP 29 3-SW except they are between .5 and .75" shorter and 1.5-2° more upright.  It seems as though we have added nothing more than a few character stampings and reduced the length to improve accuracy...while selling hybrids to close the gap between the long irons and fairway woods. 

6 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

The i500 is a very curious head. One of the highest cog locations in any modern head. I have the theory they purposely made the retrospec cog extremely high on purpose, so the power specs cog would indeed be “lower” therefore producing very similar launches between the two even despite the loft difference.  Id be curious to see how many retro lofts they actually sell. Almost like they intentionally made one product terrible to boost its counterpart. 😝

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

The i500 is a very curious head. One of the highest cog locations in any modern head. I have the theory they purposely made the retrospec cog extremely high on purpose, so the power specs cog would indeed be “lower” therefore producing very similar launches between the two even despite the loft difference.  Id be curious to see how many retro lofts they actually sell. Almost like they intentionally made one product terrible to boost its counterpart. 😝

I know of at least one set.  Happened to be paired with someone a couple months ago who had a set of i500, and talked about how he had them set with the retro lofts because he didn't care for the stronger lofts.

He wasn't sure how he felt about them.  Still testing, I guess.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I know of at least one set.  Happened to be paired with someone a couple months ago who had a set of i500, and talked about how he had them set with the retro lofts because he didn't care for the stronger lofts.

He wasn't sure how he felt about them.  Still testing, I guess.

I could maybe see someone with ALOT of speed and a very downward AOA may fit into them. For everyone else, low thin and spinny...haha

42 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Interesting point. The set I had was bent back to a 48 degree pw with a 52 u wedge. I quite liked the short irons.  It was the long irons that I found hard to hit flush.  Unless on a tee.  After a lot of testing I found out that a strike that looked proper on impact tape , was indeed feeling and flying like a thin miss.  It wanted the strike a couple grooves up. So a fluffy lie on the rough was homer center field.  But a ball sitting down cuppy in the fairway might squirt out , or it may be a bullet that rolled.   But was really hard to hit properly to fly high. 

• Like 1

TM RBZ 14* Addi 8x 

Artisan 53 59 modus 130s 

25 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Interesting point. The set I had was bent back to a 48 degree pw with a 52 u wedge. I quite liked the short irons.  It was the long irons that I found hard to hit flush.  Unless on a tee.  After a lot of testing I found out that a strike that looked proper on impact tape , was indeed feeling and flying like a thin miss.  It wanted the strike a couple grooves up. So a fluffy lie on the rough was homer center field.  But a ball sitting down cuppy in the fairway might squirt out , or it may be a bullet that rolled.   But was really hard to hit properly to fly high. 

Sounds about right and i bet you liked the short irons more because your AOA was steeper. The retro has a .940” cog, to put that into perspective the middle of the ball that strikes the face sits about .810” off the ground, unless sitting up on grass, tee etc. 

• Like 1
On 11/18/2020 at 5:38 AM, TheDeanAbides said:

It's a shame you read that comment that way. Nobody is telling anyone what to play with or how to think, but his comment is true of most golfers, and it's disingenuous of manufacturers to sell clubs that way.  

I read both comments too, and agree with you, truly a shame he and others poorly interpreted using bias!  Brings to mind guys that tells others they should play CB because they chose CB, and they know what's best for everyone....NOT. 

This line is correct; "Never underestimate the desire of the amateur golfer to believe that stamping a 6 iron with a 7 is going to be some sort of magic elixir."  It's that mindset that made strong lofted clubs successful.  Unfortunately, some people hate the truth.

Yesterday, I played with a guy in his 40's that liked to announce what # club he was using on Par 3s.  And this 70yr old out played him without announcing what my choice of club or loft was.  My 7i is 35* and OEM LOA 37", and still card 75.  I liked Nick's attitude hitting a 7i club 20yds longer than his club.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, i110cw "S"
  • Titleist 620s - 3i-PW, PX 5.5
  • SM6 F-52/8, PX 5.5
  • SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1 or AVX

My 3-pw set is about the same as my 4-gw set.  

• Like 3
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0211 4-G Modus 105  ...or...  Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw
Mizuno MPT11 54/60 TTDG wedge flex
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36"

Outlaw Golf Association #21
58 minutes ago, Gsea said:

Exactly, that's all there is to it plain and simple.

No one is disagreeing. Why the angst? Who cares. It’s like here on wrx....if you don’t like a thread don’t feel obligated to post. If you don’t like a set of clubs say so. Nicely. Who cares what the number is on the club? That has been posted a million times or so but who cares? We all play this silly game for fun.  At least I hope if you live it enough to spend time here online I hope you have fun playing. So why try to spoil others fun? If they need to buy an extra wedge let them. Many of us don’t really. I play my iron set 5-PW. Where is the deceit? Where is the manufacturer scamming me? I have the same number of clubs as the guy playing 3-pw. But yes, they have different names on them.
Why is that such a big deal to some?
 I have always played smaller headed cavity back irons. But now I have a set of p790’s on order with recoil shafts due to a bum elbow.  They are a degree stronger than the Srixon z785 and the Honma Tw747v I have played most recently. And ya know what? That’s great because there was not enough gap between my pw and 50*. I am not a total hack....63yo with currently a 4.0 index after being scratch for years. Age and a ankle replacement can do that to a game. But why?  Why does the 46* fly at most a half club longer than 50* gap? 
I don’t know and I don’t care. I want equal carry gaps and don’t care at all what number is on the bottom. Some apparently feel differently.

Time for me to bow out of these type of threads along with the depth on tour over the years type.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  For those still following football good luck to your team. I’m originally from Minneapolis and our teams sucks so the season is done.🤭

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WITB
Tools for the job!

12 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  For those still following football good luck to your team. I’m originally from Minneapolis and our teams sucks so the season is done.🤭

Grew up in Columbia Heights.  I feel your pain.  🤢

Happy Thanksgiving  🙂

Edited by NRJyzr

14 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

No one is disagreeing. Why the angst? Who cares. It’s like here on wrx....if you don’t like a thread don’t feel obligated to post. If you don’t like a set of clubs say so. Nicely. Who cares what the number is on the club? That has been posted a million times or so but who cares? We all play this silly game for fun.  At least I hope if you live it enough to spend time here online I hope you have fun playing. So why try to spoil others fun? If they need to buy an extra wedge let them. Many of us don’t really. I play my iron set 5-PW. Where is the deceit? Where is the manufacturer scamming me? I have the same number of clubs as the guy playing 3-pw. But yes, they have different names on them.
 I have always played smaller headed cavity back irons. But now I have a set of p790’s on order with recoil shafts due to a bum elbow.  They are a degree stronger than the Srixon z785 and the Honma Tw747v I have played most recently. And ya know what? That’s great because there was not enough gap between my pw and 50*. I am not a total hack....63yo with currently a 4.0 index after being scratch for years. Age and a ankle replacement can do that to a game. But why?  Why does the 46* fly at most a half club longer than 50* gap? 
I don’t know and I don’t care. I want equal carry gaps and don’t care at all what number is on the bottom. Some apparently feel differently.

Time for me to bow out of these type of threads along with the depth on tour over the years type.

I didn't read the whole thread, and usually don't because after being here nearly 15 years, once a thread goes more than about 4 pages it's devolving into a penile swinging contest usually.

Quite a few people out there enjoy hitting their 6 iron farther than I do.  That's fine.  If it's because it's actually a 5 iron and it makes them feel better about themselves, I'll choke down on a 5 iron and give it a nice 75% swing to really make them feel good about life.   I doesn't bother me, but there are a good many people out there who really believe they're hitting the same clubs farther than me, and others who really take it in the feels when it happens to them, so they like to be the first to cry foul and say "BUT IT'S NOT A REAL 6 IRON JERKFACE!"

Ho hum, whatever.  They'll probably 3 putt anyway.    Happy Turkey Day!        10-0 baby!  

Edited by dan360
  • Haha 1
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0211 4-G Modus 105  ...or...  Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw
Mizuno MPT11 54/60 TTDG wedge flex
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36"

Outlaw Golf Association #21
14 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

I’m a gamecock fan.  I’ve felt your pain all my life.  Lol. Now the rats are jumping off that sinking ship left and right.  And out of nowhere we discover a men’s small , true freshmen QB , that apparently has a pulse and now everybody is saying “ where’s he been “.  Duh. In high school. 🤦‍♂️

TM RBZ 14* Addi 8x 

Artisan 53 59 modus 130s 

The numbers on the bottom of the club are arbitrary. All that matters is throwing together a set of sticks that you can hit well, that you enjoy playing with and meet your gapping needs. As a guy that only drives it 240 max now, getting a set of jacked irons doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I recently got fit and the clubs that worked best for me were the i210s as they fit in between my hybrids/fairway woods and my 52 and created consistent gapping. I tried some lower lofted clubs and didn't get the spin and consistency I wanted. Your experience may vary.  My friend that got fit at the same time didn't like them and settled on Wilson D7 Forgeds. To each his own.