Any stronger players using Speedzone Xtreme?

gentles

Seems far more common to see these heads popping up on the BST vs the standard SZ head. 

I'm a 165-170 ball speed mid spin player who struggles with consistent face contact especially missing low on the head. Will likely be pairing with the same shaft I use in my current Driver (2016 M2) 

Looking to hear experiences of better players esp med/high speed players who may be using the SZ Xtreme head. Did you notice the extra forgiveness? What did you switch from (and maybe then switch to?)

Thanks!

My ball speed is 170-175 these days and I struggle with ball striking as well.  I have tried the SZ Xtreme among other more forgiving options like the M4, SIM MAX, M6, TS2, the list goes on.  I tend to gravitate towards the more forgiving heads as a result.  Problem is, pairing the right shaft because the more forgiving options tend to spin more.  What I noticed is that the SZ Xtreme compared to the standard model did spin more but also dispersion was better on mis hits.  RPM difference was about 400 on average. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I picked up an SZ and paired it with a tour green 75 TX just to try it since my M5 was not very forgiving during times when my swing is a little sloppy. I found the head to be VERY forgiving and reasonable on spin, BUT my longest shots still came with my M5. I hope that the RAD BX driver will provide the same forgiveness but with better ballspeed. 

• Like 1

Interesting insights thanks all. There aren't any retailers near me that carry this so I'm having to buy it sight unseen. Those who gamed, how do you find it sits in the square playing position? I found that Mizuno and M5 drivers sit open so I play lower loft turned up, whereas my m2 I play in Standard loft at 10.5.

You may want to try hitting the SZ Extreme first.  I bought one and found it to be one of the loudest and worst feeling driver heads I have ever used.  I own an F9 driver that is much better sounding, feeling and more consistent.  The SZ Extreme was extremely bad for me.  However, I am not a stronger player. 

Edited by Mmac
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mmac said:

You may want to try hitting the SZ Extreme first.  I bought one and found it to be one of the loudest and worst feeling driver heads I have ever used.  I own an F9 driver that is much better sounding, feeling and more consistent.  The SZ Extreme was extremely bad for me.  However, I am not a stronger player. 

Completely agree. I loved the way the driver looked at address, but I couldn't get over the sound.  Also faded the ball way too much. 

Which head are you asking about ?  One weight or two ?  I don’t speak cobra super well.  But I do have a fair bit of time in with the two weight version and a atmos black 6x.       Buddy who’s on here somewhere is hitting the one weight version with a hazardous green and loves his too. 

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

48 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Which head are you asking about ?  One weight or two ?  I don’t speak cobra super well.  But I do have a fair bit of time in with the two weight version and a atmos black 6x.       Buddy who’s on here somewhere is hitting the one weight version with a hazardous green and loves his too. 

Xtreme is the single weight high forgiveness head. Basically I'm looking to build the most forgiving driver setup I can but just wanting to make sure I wouldn't spin it off the planet!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, gentles said:

Xtreme is the single weight high forgiveness head. Basically I'm looking to build the most forgiving driver setup I can but just wanting to make sure I wouldn't spin it off the planet!

Gotcha.   Well.  I don’t think you will.   

from what I’ve seen they aren’t that far apart in spin.  My regular playing partner plays a going draw with his extreme.  And I play a general fade with the two weighted version. Similar speeds etc.  both single digit to plus handicaps depending on the weeks revisions.  

but I had this thought. I’m playing mine with the heavier weight In the rear.  So probably essentially the same head ?     Either way. I’m a high spin player. And this head is one of the lowest spin for the forgiveness level I’ve ever hit .  I don’t find it unforgiving at all.  And I’m comparing it to a sim max I still own.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 hours ago, Mmac said:

You may want to try hitting the SZ Extreme first.  I bought one and found it to be one of the loudest and worst feeling driver heads I have ever used.

This is interesting as I absolutely love the SZ Extreme feel/sound. I upgraded from a regular LTD and tried out both the SZ and the Extreme for multiple rounds and the Extreme won out for me. Both are great but paired with the right shaft it was def the right driver for me. For what its worth, I've never gotten along with TM Drivers and when I did a demo between my SZ and the SIM line the Cobra won out handily. 

Cobra LTDx Aldila NV 75 

TaylorMade Stealth Fairway 3HL FUJIKURA VISTA PRO 21 65S

Cobra LTDx 4 Hybrid 20* KBS PGI 85

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 5-GW Project X LZ 6.0

Titleist SM9 55*/60*
Bobby Grace F-18

15 hours ago, Mmac said:

I’ve played a F6 for years and wanted an upgrade.  Checked out the xtreme and hated it.  For the exact reasons you mentioned, feel and sound were awful in my opinion.  Ended up going with a Mavrik  Max which I absolutely love.

On 11/17/2020 at 9:57 PM, gentles said:

Seems far more common to see these heads popping up on the BST vs the standard SZ head. 

I'm a 165-170 ball speed mid spin player who struggles with consistent face contact especially missing low on the head. Will likely be pairing with the same shaft I use in my current Driver (2016 M2) 

Looking to hear experiences of better players esp med/high speed players who may be using the SZ Xtreme head. Did you notice the extra forgiveness? What did you switch from (and maybe then switch to?)

Thanks!

I play this driver, but I am old and slow now, but my son (180+) who plays an F9 @ 7.5* hit my head with his shaft and he didn't seem to spin it too much.  Take it for what that's worth

Titleist Tsr2 9*

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 16*

PXG 0317X Gen 4 20.5*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2020 at 9:31 AM, SUPERG said:

I picked up an SZ and paired it with a tour green 75 TX just to try it since my M5 was not very forgiving during times when my swing is a little sloppy. I found the head to be VERY forgiving and reasonable on spin, BUT my longest shots still came with my M5. I hope that the RAD BX driver will provide the same forgiveness but with better ballspeed. 

You still gaming both? I have an M5 w a Nemesys 65 Five (TXG got me) and swapped my LST for SZ Xtreme. Should get it Sat. Exactly the same reason as you. Needed something for bad driving periods. 

Driver(s) - TSR3 Ventus Red 6s and G430 Ventus TR 6x

TSR2 15* Di7s

Sim 2 19* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

Sim2 22* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

6 minutes ago, Benkross said:

You still gaming both? I have an M5 w a Nemesys 65 Five (TXG got me) and swapped my LST for SZ Xtreme. Should get it Sat. Exactly the same reason as you. Needed something for bad driving periods. 

My M5 has been in my bag for the last couple rounds because I’ve had a lot more time to practice! But some days I just know I’m going to be a little lazy or stiff and I have the SZ. It’s a great head as far as performance and forgiveness goes! The sound could use some dampening for sure haha, and it’s about the same ball speed as any other head out there. I still want to try and hot melt it! Was excited to see that the XB was a little more stable, but did not see TXG find any measurable gains against the xtreme or SZ for that matter. 

• Like 1

At this point with COR limits I expect the improvements to be mostly sound, spin and launch consistency. I hotmelted my LST but the sound was still too loud. I love the M5. Mine sounds like a persimmon. I figure if I like the SZ Xtreme I can put 2-3g of hotmelt for sound. If this doesn't work, I might get a Sim when the Sim2 comes out. 

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

2 minutes ago, Benkross said:

At this point with COR limits I expect the improvements to be mostly sound, spin and launch consistency. I hotmelted my LST but the sound was still too loud. I love the M5. Mine sounds like a persimmon. I figure if I like the SZ Xtreme I can put 2-3g of hotmelt for sound. If this doesn't work, I might get a Sim when the Sim2 comes out. 

Yea for me the M5 and the M5 tour a buddy of mine has are probably the best sounding driver out there (sorry Titleist fans lol) the Sim sounded just as good and if the SIM2 an improvement in stability than that would be my next step in 2021.

• 1 month later...

So I hit the Speedzone Xtreme today and whoever said it's a G400 Max with lower spin nailed it...at least for me. I got lucky and swapped for a 9* head that when soled is 7.5* and .5 closed. It literally fits everything I need for my bad swing. I was hitting high launch bullets that didn't spin up. I haven't gotten on a launch monitor to verify numbers, but I can see gaming this. If I can't hit fairways with this setup, I'll just quit the game and do a BST firesale. Sound is awful and I don't love the shape but with a ball pattern the size of a silver dollar, I barely noticed much dispersion. To be fair, I was in a driving range stall so the sound will probably be quieter on course. When I hit one so far off the toe I nearly missed the face, it was so loud I nearly turned to the person hitting next to me to apologize 😂

Edited by Benkross
  • Like 1

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

I played my first round outside in 40* weather with it. Jumped out of the car, rushing to play because the starter let me skip ahead of some hackers that were waiting to tee off. Needless to say I was stiff and not confident in my swing. On the first drive I nearly missed the ball and it was as low toe as you can still hit the face. Not pretty but it found the fairway. Sounds way better when not hitting range balls and being in open air. I dare say it may even sounded a tiny bit muted 😳. Mine is hotmelted bc I could hear it rattling around in the cold weather. I hit 7/14 fairways but it easily could have been 11/14 (I missed those fairways by 2-3 yards). I only hit 2 in the middle of the face and all the other strikes were AWFUL. I probably would have cut a ball or two if we still played Balatas. I'll be curious to see how it performs once the weather gets above 65* and I learn how to swing a driver again. Thankfully I won't have to quit golf per my post above. The look at address no longer bothers me because of the massive confidence boost I get. Granted it's only one round but Arccos showed a huge improvement. I can't wait to get more rounds with this bad boy and I'm probably gonna get fit for a shaft on this head because DAMN is it forgiving. Driving used to be my strength and 2020 it became my weakness. I just can't stop smiling 😁

Screenshot_20210112-190713.png

Screenshot_20210112-185436.png

• Like 1

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

Matt from TXG on youtube has ball speeds pushing 180. Speedzone Extreme took 2nd place in their 2020 driver bracket. for so e reason I can’t get the link to post right, search on your own if interested.

See if you can find a “pars and stripes” edition on sale - it comes with the real deal ventus blue. 

I play the regular speedzone with the weight back, and find it pretty forgiving all over the face. Way better off low strikes than my f8+ was. 

• Like 1

Handicap .5

Current Bag:
Big Dogs: G410 for Fades, G425 for draws

FW: Ole Blue but stays on the porch most rounds

Hybrids: G425, Cobra  King Tec
Irons: Srixon ZX5/7
Wedges: PM Grind 54/58

Moneymaker: Ping Heppler Tyne 3

Rock: Srixon Z-Star Divide

Went back and looked at some stats. Played a 7k yard course in oct with my f8+. Longest drive that day was 246 total according to arccos.

Played the same course last week with my speedzone (normal head, weight back, 9*) and had 5 drives over 280, longest 307. 

i’m somewhere in the 103-107mph range with driver. I will say I think alot of this was due to the shaft. Went from 76g hzrdus yellow to ventus blue 6s. 

SIM was probably 5yd longer on the

monitor but got a deal I couldn’t pass up on the SZ. 

Handicap .5

Current Bag:
Big Dogs: G410 for Fades, G425 for draws

FW: Ole Blue but stays on the porch most rounds

Hybrids: G425, Cobra  King Tec
Irons: Srixon ZX5/7
Wedges: PM Grind 54/58

Moneymaker: Ping Heppler Tyne 3

Rock: Srixon Z-Star Divide