New Level PF-2 Forged Irons

RH82

Ordered PF-2's late Friday night after several libations and just got notice they'll deliver to WA on Monday, might be taking that day off from work! Eric called the next morning to be clear on my request, that right there is professionalism at its best. I was also very impressed when he asked me to send him my 1126 5i head I purchased off Ebay so that he could ensure it was shafted correctly. Off to a great start with NL.

• Like 2

Forgive me if already asked in this thread... anyone care to comment on the 902 forged in comparison with PF-2. I have had the 902’s for about a month and they are some great clubs. Seeing that the PF-2 has less offset has me interested. I naturally have a draw ball flight and the over draw is my miss, so wondering if less offset would help. In the past I didn’t like the look of minimal offset but preferences have seemed to change as my game has improved. 

Baseball Bat gen 2

Shovel (multi material)

Garden hoe (steel tip)

Rake

50 minutes ago, Ty-Webb said:

Forgive me if already asked in this thread... anyone care to comment on the 902 forged in comparison with PF-2. I have had the 902’s for about a month and they are some great clubs. Seeing that the PF-2 has less offset has me interested. I naturally have a draw ball flight and the over draw is my miss, so wondering if less offset would help. In the past I didn’t like the look of minimal offset but preferences have seemed to change as my game has improved. 

PF2’s are more far demanding in terms of strike location than the 902’s when I tested both.   If your issue is face angle or a path issue offset isn’t going to cure it. 

Taylormade M3 9*  KBS TD Cat4

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Stainless DH89 w/ Stability Tour / / Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 

Bridgestone Tour B XS 

11 hours ago, Phabs said:

PF2’s are more far demanding in terms of strike location than the 902’s when I tested both.   If your issue is face angle or a path issue offset isn’t going to cure it. 

So in your opinion offset doesn't exacerbate a draw?  

Baseball Bat gen 2

Shovel (multi material)

Garden hoe (steel tip)

Rake

5 hours ago, Ty-Webb said:

So in your opinion offset doesn't exacerbate a draw?  

I think it depends on the condition that’s causing it. Less offset may help some it it’s a face angle at impact issue but I’m not sure it would do much if it’s a path issue.   I hit a much more pronounced draw with less offset versus irons with more.  Just my swing and my mechanics, may differ for others. 

Taylormade M3 9*  KBS TD Cat4

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Stainless DH89 w/ Stability Tour / / Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 

Bridgestone Tour B XS 

On 10/8/2021 at 6:09 PM, fixurpitch said:

PF-2 7i is 19mm. 5i is 18mm. 

PF-1 8i is 20mm. 

The cavity back is narrower than the blade?

Callaway Epic Speed 9* Fujikura Platinum Speeder 4S

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Titleist TS3 23* Tensei Blue

New Level PF-2 5-PW DG105 S300

Taylormade MG2 50* DG S300

Callaway Jaws MD5 56* & 60* DGS200

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

1 hour ago, Shilgy said:

The cavity back is narrower than the blade?

The soles decrease in width (by 1 mm or so) as they get longer. I used a digital mic, checked them twice. Didn’t measure every club, just 8, 7, and 5. 

Someone asked earlier about topline on both. The PF-2 is 5.9mm and the PF-1 is 4.1mm. I think both look thinner because of the rounded edges. 

Edited by fixurpitch
More info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, booty4 said:

Here are my PF-2, 5-9 irons. Individual pics are in order 5 down to 9.  Forgive me for my 8 iron appearance , hit a lot of dirty range balls yesterday

IMG-1447.jpg

IMG-1446.jpg

IMG-1448.jpg

IMG-1449.jpg

IMG-1450.jpg

IMG-1451.jpg

IMG-1452.jpg

Those are very very nice looking irons. Thanks for the great pics 

COBRA RADSPEED 9.0 HZRDUS RDX BLUE 6.0                                        SRIXON ZX 13.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 70X                                               WILSON M5 TOUR 17* ALDILA ROGUE STIFF.                                           TITLEIST U510 3 ALDILA PHENOM 100 stiff.                                       SRIXON Z FORGED 4-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                         SRIXON ZX7 A WEDGE 50* CATALYST 100 6.0                                        CALLAWAY JAWS FULL 54* MMT 125 Stiff.                                        CALLAWAY JAWS FULL 58* MMT 125 Stiff.                                         NATIONAL CUSTOM NICOLL BLADE SNELL MTB-X

20 hours ago, gentles said:

Thanks so much - looks like a decent amount of offset in the shorter irons would you say? 

I think its kind of deceiving in the pictures.  In person the short irons don't feel like they have much offset.  

These are the actual specs:

image.png.f6309cba9773e209a3ab57478b2c7fe3.png

Edited by booty4
  • Like 1

I ordered mine completely custom on Tuesday, Eric called me Wednesday to confirm and they arrived Friday. Talk about a quick turnaround.98A66C9C-C2E9-4FDD-8FDD-1B0EF597F88A.jpeg.50c0967a7503ef2aca7a153cefab9c8b.jpeg

• Like 3

TSI3 @ 8.5* - AV Raw White 2.0 Proto 75tx
G410 hybrid @ 16* - Hzdrus black 85x
Callaway Apex UT 20* - RIP 100x
Bridgestone J40DPC 3-P - PX 7.0
Sub70 54*/60* - S400

OG 1WS, Premier Soft 11s, Scotty Catalina 2

3 minutes ago, Rosco1216 said:

I ordered mine completely custom on Tuesday, Eric called me Wednesday to confirm and they arrived Friday. Talk about a quick turnaround.98A66C9C-C2E9-4FDD-8FDD-1B0EF597F88A.jpeg.50c0967a7503ef2aca7a153cefab9c8b.jpeg

Sounds like they don’t use the ten day epoxy that guys on the site use lol

• Like 1

COBRA RADSPEED 9.0 HZRDUS RDX BLUE 6.0                                        SRIXON ZX 13.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 70X                                               WILSON M5 TOUR 17* ALDILA ROGUE STIFF.                                           TITLEIST U510 3 ALDILA PHENOM 100 stiff.                                       SRIXON Z FORGED 4-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                         SRIXON ZX7 A WEDGE 50* CATALYST 100 6.0                                        CALLAWAY JAWS FULL 54* MMT 125 Stiff.                                        CALLAWAY JAWS FULL 58* MMT 125 Stiff.                                         NATIONAL CUSTOM NICOLL BLADE SNELL MTB-X

• 1 month later...

Can anyone post pics of the PF2 irons next to any of the following irons: 2018 Apex MB, Wilson Staff CB, Titleist 716 CB or Bridgestone J33 CB? Interested in seeing side by side pics of the soles, and faces of the PW, mid iron and long iron. I’m interested in getting a set of PF2s but am worried the soles will be too wide and blade length will be too long. TIA

Anyone have any insight on the PF3's?  See a set local to me and was wondering what the difference between them and the PF2's.  I dragged my feet and missed out on all their component only or discounted PF2 sets on their sight for sale.  Cant find any info on the PF3's.  Do they have same leading edge grind as the PF2's?

18 hours ago, TmagBryce said:

Anyone have any insight on the PF3's?  See a set local to me and was wondering what the difference between them and the PF2's.  I dragged my feet and missed out on all their component only or discounted PF2 sets on their sight for sale.  Cant find any info on the PF3's.  Do they have same leading edge grind as the PF2's?

I have some PF2’s for sale @$500 with DG 120 S300s that I’ve only used for 2 rounds. Ended up just sticking with my old clubs after it was all said and done. No reason, the PF2s are great, they just didn’t agree with me 😔 

12 hours ago, RushFORE said:

I have some PF2’s for sale @$500 with DG 120 S300s that I’ve only used for 2 rounds. Ended up just sticking with my old clubs after it was all said and done. No reason, the PF2s are great, they just didn’t agree with me 😔 

Thanks but those Shafts won’t work for me. 

6 hours ago, Taylor475 said:

Ordered a set of used pf-2’s with MMT 105TX shafts. The heads felt great but the shafts were too high launching/spinning. I preferred the feel of my 718 T-MB’s a little more

Those are totally different animals. The TMB is not really an MB, it is a hollow iron, not a one-piece forged/milled head. And to me, it’s loud. It would compare more to a p790 or Mizuno HMB or a Hot Metal Pro. I hit a TMB and contact all over the face feels about the same. 

I would not think a player who likes the PF2 would also like the TMB. The PF2 is a real forged iron. Not going to cover up misses as well, and players will definitely feel that, but all of the New Level irons are so pure and consistent. I have been hitting some of the hollow irons and I do not care for the feel at all. There’s really no comparison IMO. The New Levels are forged of 1020 steel. There’s nothing softer. 

3 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Those are totally different animals. The TMB is not really an MB, it is a hollow iron, not a one-piece forged/milled head. And to me, it’s loud. It would compare more to a p790 or Mizuno HMB or a Hot Metal Pro. I hit a TMB and contact all over the face feels about the same. 

I would not think a player who likes the PF2 would also like the TMB. The PF2 is a real forged iron. Not going to cover up misses as well, and players will definitely feel that, but all of the New Level irons are so pure and consistent. I have been hitting some of the hollow irons and I do not care for the feel at all. There’s really no comparison IMO. The New Levels are forged of 1020 steel. There’s nothing softer. 

I understand they’re completely different animals. I’m just saying feel wise, I didn’t enjoy the pf-2 even when hit in the middle. I hit the zx7 which are forged and they felt much better to me. Feel is subjective so ymmv.

23 hours ago, Taylor475 said:

I understand they’re completely different animals. I’m just saying feel wise, I didn’t enjoy the pf-2 even when hit in the middle. I hit the zx7 which are forged and they felt much better to me. Feel is subjective so ymmv.

Definitely true. I was only pointing out they are constructed entirely different and are at opposite ends of the forgiveness scale (in players iron category). And players like different things, so if you like one, you might not like the other. Of the 5 clubs I tried in the past year that I liked the least, TMB would be one of them. I found it clangy and weird off the face and didn’t care for it at all. If I am playing a hollow head, it would only be the 5 iron. 

Srixons are excellent except I don’t like the turf interaction with the giant bounce and v-soles, which I don’t really need because my miss is not a heavy miss, it’s a thin miss. Keep in mind, the PF2 is no gimme — it is New Level’s second least-forgiving head (after the PF1) and would be comparable to a Titleist CB head. They are aimed at superior, consistent ball strikers. Yet hit in the middle of the face, it is so pure, like a Bridgestone pocket cavity to me.

I don’t play the PF2 for that reason (had a short set and moved them), even though irons are the strength of my game and I strike them pretty consistently. But I don’t play enough to make the PF2 a reliable option. If I am off, it can make for a long day. It is a winner for Tour pro Steven Alker, who is having a great season on the Champions Tour with the PF2. 

For me the 902 is a better fit. It is compact, perhaps more compact than I’d like in the longer irons. Covers up thin misses very well. And I have never been more accurate with an iron. I consider it one of the best irons ever made, definitely in my personal top 5 all-time. (So good that I have ordered the upcoming 902-OS blind; it is basically the 902 with the hitting area slightly increased, by 10 percent, which sounds perfect.) I buy into Ping’s research that shows compact blade length is more precise for accuracy. I am not comfy with super compact like some players, so I look for as short a blade as I can without it being intimidating. 

Edited by dmeeksDC
  • Like 3