Best combo for high launching 3 wood

I went through a similar experience looking for a 3 wood. I wanted something with a little more shallow of a face, felt like with my swing they launched much higher than deeper faced for me. I absolutely fell in love with taking my jpx 900 5 wood in an 18 degree head, and cranked it down to 16*. I put the weight all the way forward and its been my favorite club in the bag. Didn't lose much distance vs my rogue 15* but the height is much more what I was looking for. It'll work for now until i can try out some 15* heads and get fit.   

Driver: Callaway Xr16 8.0* 

5W: Mizuno JPX 900 16*

3H: Callaway XR 19*

4i: Sub70 22*U 

5-7i: Sub70 CB Black

8-PW: Sub70 MB Black

50*: Sub70 Satin

54,58*: Wilson PMP Tour Raw

Putter: Odyssey White Hot 2Ball

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Respectfully, this could not be further from the truth. Maybe pre launch monitors and science. Look at the launch angles on tour, even in windy conditions. High ball with optimal spin still wins unles

I've never personally seen large fluctuations in launch characteristics with from one shaft to another (comparing good strikes to good strike). Shafts definitely make a difference in dispersion as wei

The Gamma was a counterbalanced Beta IIRC. I have the Beta in 3 different sets of FWs. VERY hard to beat that shaft and it can be had for pocket change on the Bay.   BT

Posted Images

I would highly recommend the Tensei AV RAW (or Just Pro) BLUE

Recently got fitted into that, with the PXG Gen2 16 degree 3 wood head (they do a 15 and 16). As I wanted something that launched higher off turf, and did not go left. If you struggle with lefts, the PXG fairways are hard to beat, the weight in the toe and adapter set to PXG setting (slightly flat). Just a beast

But that shaft is incredible. Loved it so much I put the HY version in my Sim Max 19* too

FWIW I got the 75g TX in the 3w and 85g TX in the SIM. Driver SS is 119 and 3w 112

Edited by EddyVN
  • Like 1

Driver: G400 Max - Xtorsion
FW: G400 Diamana D+ TX
TM P790 UDI - KBS Proto X
Titleist 718 CB - Accra 125i 
Vokey SM7 50/54/58 Accra 125i
Toulon Vegas Stroke Lab

I'd take a look at a Ping G30 (maybe even G400). I too was looking for a higher launching wood but with lower spin. I played a Mizuno MP-650 for many years and it was a beast. Very flat trajectory and very long.  Good off the tee but not so much off the deck.

I tried a 2017 M2 HL and had the same problem I've had with other higher lofted woods. They simply spun too much and I lost distance.  I've finally settled on a G30 3W but I think what makes it so good is that I put 6 cotton balls in the head to get the weight up and then put in a Hzrdus Smoke Yellow (counter balanced) shaft to keep the swingweight at D4 .  The combo has been amazing.  High launch off the deck but it doesn't balloon.   Finally found a club that's as long as the MP650 but all carry.  I hit a few last week off the tee that amazed me how far it carried.

My G30 driver and 3W (both with the same shaft) has been a tremendous discovery.  First time with a counterbalanced shaft and my driving/fairway play has never been better.

PING G30 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60
PING G30 3W Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 70
Wishon Di595 Steelfiber i110

Taylormade RocketBladez Tour 3-PW Elevate Tour

Callaway Jaws CC 52*, 58*
Maltby PTM-4

2 hours ago, EddyVN said:

I would highly recommend the Tensei AV RAW (or Just Pro) BLUE

Recently got fitted into that, with the PXG Gen2 16 degree 3 wood head (they do a 15 and 16). As I wanted something that launched higher off turf, and did not go left. If you struggle with lefts, the PXG fairways are hard to beat, the weight in the toe and adapter set to PXG setting (slightly flat). Just a beast

But that shaft is incredible. Loved it so much I put the HY version in my Sim Max 19* too

FWIW I got the 75g TX in the 3w and 85g TX in the SIM. Driver SS is 119 and 3w 112

I'm leaning that direction of AV RAW BLUE.  Its no upcharge with new titleist TSi2 that helps with launch.  Its still an order from Titleist but I can wait.

Now my SS is below yours, I'm 112 D and 107 3W.  I hope to gain a few mph.  I was thinking of going with 75x and not tx instead.

I've seen big differences in using low kick, higher spinning shafts that make a difference. For example, the GD AD F are fairway shafts, not shafts made for use with a driver - they've allowed me to drive a 4 wood high into the air, allowing me to think about a 15 degree fwy - bought my first 15 degree fwy in 10 yrs and am putting the GD AD F 55g into action to see what happens - a TM SIM Ti. It's possible that head will not work or I will adjust it to 16 and see what occurs.

• Thanks 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Red 17 ● TEE EXS 220 3, 5 wd/GD AD F 55 and 65, TEE EXS 220 4HY/GD AD HY 65 ● Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Accra ICWT95 ● Mizuno MP T20 48, 53, 58 Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 115 ● Swag Savage Too

On 11/18/2020 at 12:30 PM, Nick_E said:

I'm on the lookout for a new 3 wood.  I previously had the epic and we never got along.  My problem is I just don't launch a 3 wood high enough so its always a struggle off the Turf.

My SS with a 3 wood is 106 to 108, and should increase to 110 in a couple of months.

I just tried Sim with ventus blue x.  That thing was low and hooking like crazy.

I've read that AD DI is an awesome 3 wood shaft, but I'm open to all options so long if it launches higher, and preferably with not a ton of spin.  I'd actually prefer something a bit cheaper, but ill spend the money to finally find the right shaft.  Saw AD IZ as well as an option.

For the head was thinking Sim Max, Mavrik Max, or TSi2.

Appreciate all of your input.

I am a picker 3w is always hardest club for me to find. G410 14.5 w/ Ventus Blue 7s (play blue 6x tipped.5" in driver) tipped 1"... I also have an really like the new Motore F3 7x tipped .5" but dispersion is better with VB

On 11/18/2020 at 12:30 PM, Nick_E said:

My problem is I just don't launch a 3 wood high enough so its always a struggle off the Turf.

Why do you want to hit 3-wood shots with a high trajectory ?

Cleveland TL310 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

2 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

I'm talking about an optimized trajectory.  My launch is under 9, I would like it in the 11 to 13 range which I believe is optimal 

Sorry, I don't know what those launch numbers mean.

I do believe the function of a 3-wood is mostly to play off tee boxes where accuracy is needed, and accuracy is compromised as trajectory become higher. From a ground lie it is rare that the lie is level and, or, perfect enough that modern large head long shafted 3-woods are a good sense play.

However, if the ground  lie is suitable and one swings 3-wood, shot accuracy should be the goal and lower trajectory is usually more accurate than high trajectory.

Cleveland TL310 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

5 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

I do believe the function of a 3-wood is mostly to play off tee boxes where accuracy is needed, and accuracy is compromised as trajectory become higher. From a ground lie it is rare that the lie is level and, or, perfect enough that modern large head long shafted 3-woods are a good sense play.

However, if the ground  lie is suitable and one swings 3-wood, shot accuracy should be the goal and lower trajectory is usually more accurate than high trajectory.

I don't want to sound arrogant, but I understand launch conditions to optimize every club in my bag.  I have a launch monitor to measure those and compare those with optimal conditions.  Right now I'm below optimal for my SS so I get less out of it then I should.

A 3 wood first needs to be playable off the deck with an optimized trajectory, then you see how it hits off the tee.

Edited by Nick_E
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

A 3 wood first needs to be playable off the deck with an optimized trajectory, then you see how it hits off the teem. 

Sorry I don't know what optimized trajectory means. Golf shots fly on a wide range of trajectories dependent on temperature, wind, lie, quality of impact contact etc...

If you are playing lots of 3-wood shots from the fairway then you might consider moving up to play a more forward tee box.

Cleveland TL310 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

10 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

Sorry I don't know what optimized trajectory means. Golf shots fly on a wide range of trajectories dependent on temperature, wind, lie, quality of impact contact etc...

If you are playing lots of 3-wood shots from the fairway then you might consider moving up to play a more forward tee box.

I'm talking about 3 woods into par 5s or off the tee on tight par 4s.  So I need something that is flying high and landing relatively soft. 

You should have a go to trajectory that you can hit with every club.  I understand you might change trajectory, but for a 3 wood I dont see much need for differences.

1 hour ago, Fairway14 said:

Respectfully, this could not be further from the truth. Maybe pre launch monitors and science. Look at the launch angles on tour, even in windy conditions. High ball with optimal spin still wins unless it’s actually a gale force wind. 

for me a 3 wood is a club when driver is too much club not just when accuracy is at a premium. Doglegs, bunkers to lay short of etc. and second shots into par 5’s. All of those require control which a balance of launch and spin. If you want a low launch tee option play a UDI?

• Like 3

Driver: G400 Max - Xtorsion
FW: G400 Diamana D+ TX
TM P790 UDI - KBS Proto X
Titleist 718 CB - Accra 125i 
Vokey SM7 50/54/58 Accra 125i
Toulon Vegas Stroke Lab

G400 5w at 17.5 turned down to 16.5 ... playing 3w length 

bomber and easy off the deck

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x Ping G400 7w 19.5* Diamana B 80s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki 82x Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 90s

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

My 3w SS is in the same range as yours and I have no problem elevating even a 13* FW with 2* down AoA. Now, at 13*, I don't get soft landings. I always have runout and can only attack greens that are large or where I can land short. If I want to land soft, I have to switch to a higher loft, say 15-16*. At that loft, I get higher flight and more spin and the ball will settle fairly well. Problem is, I lose a bit of distance. It's the tradeoff I have to accept.

You described your flight as low and left. I get this if I play a shaft that is to soft and/or has too much torque. If I were you I would look at mid launch shafts with really low torque, but not too stiff. Some I have used are OG Speeder 757 S, Blueboard 80g S, Rip Beta 80g S & PL V2 86 S. All of these are 75-85g shafts with torque below 3* and a cut b u t t frequency around 265. These are all tight feeling shafts that have enough flex to kick into the ball and give a little more dynamic loft at impact. The torque gives you the feel of control and the flex gives you the added launch. Now, I have a fairly smooth transition and build speed into impact. If you are quicker from the top, you'll probably need to tip these or go with the X version to feel comfortable. Thing is, once you find the profile that suits you, stick with it. I don't care if a shaft costs $50 or $500. It's the profile that matters the most.

I'm sure some will disagree, but that just my $0.02.

BT

Bag 1

Cobra King LTD Pro 9.5* HZRDUS Black 7 6.0 @ 44.5"
King LTD 14.5 - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43"
F6 5-7 @ 17.5 - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Bag 2
F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Bag 3
Mizuno ST190 9.5* - Diamana "Flowerband" Whiteboard 73 S @ 44.5"
Mizuno ST190 14.5* - Aldila RIP Phenom 80 S @ 43"
Epic Flash Heavenwood 19* - Aldila RIP Phenom 80 S @ 42" 
Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Roo Midsize

3 minutes ago, Ri_Redneck said:

My 3w SS is in the same range as yours and I have no problem elevating even a 13* FW with 2* down AoA. Now, at 13*, I don't get soft landings. I always have runout and can only attack greens that are large or where I can land short. If I want to land soft, I have to switch to a higher loft, say 15-16*. At that loft, I get higher flight and more spin and the ball will settle fairly well. Problem is, I lose a bit of distance. It's the tradeoff I have to accept.

You described your flight as low and left. I get this if I play a shaft that is to soft and/or has too much torque. If I were you I would look at mid launch shafts with really low torque, but not too stiff. Some I have used are OG Speeder 757 S, Blueboard 80g S, Rip Beta 80g S & PL V2 86 S. All of these are 75-85g shafts with torque below 3* and a cut b u t t frequency around 265. These are all tight feeling shafts that have enough flex to kick into the ball and give a little more dynamic loft at impact. The torque gives you the feel of control and the flex gives you the added launch. Now, I have a fairly smooth transition and build speed into impact. If you are quicker from the top, you'll probably need to tip these or go with the X version to feel comfortable. Thing is, once you find the profile that suits you, stick with it. I don't care if a shaft costs $50 or $500. It's the profile that matters the most.

I'm sure some will disagree, but that just my $0.02.

BT

I had the RIP Gamma 80x in a cally razr hawk.  That thing was a beast.  I could hit that 280 off the tee and 270ish off the deck back in the day.  Very underrated shaft.  I don't know why I got rid of it.  Oh wait I do remember now.  It's the club ho in me.........🤪

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4-PW w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+

58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Newport 1

Snell MTB-X

Just now, phizzy30 said:

I had the RIP Gamma 80x in a cally razr hawk.  That thing was a beast.  I could hit that 280 off the tee and 270ish off the deck back in the day.  Very underrated shaft.  I don't know why I got rid of it.  Oh wait I do remember now.  It's the club ho in me.........🤪

The Gamma was a counterbalanced Beta IIRC. I have the Beta in 3 different sets of FWs. VERY hard to beat that shaft and it can be had for pocket change on the Bay.

BT

• Like 2

Bag 1

Cobra King LTD Pro 9.5* HZRDUS Black 7 6.0 @ 44.5"
King LTD 14.5 - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43"
F6 5-7 @ 17.5 - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Bag 2
F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Bag 3
Mizuno ST190 9.5* - Diamana "Flowerband" Whiteboard 73 S @ 44.5"
Mizuno ST190 14.5* - Aldila RIP Phenom 80 S @ 43"
Epic Flash Heavenwood 19* - Aldila RIP Phenom 80 S @ 42" 
Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Roo Midsize

22 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

I've decided to go with the Titleist TSi2 15* with av raw blue tx.  Question is 69 or 79 gram.  See thread below.

Appreciate the groups thoughts. 

That diamana blue profile is tried and true for fairway woods.  My personal observation with the av raw (white 75x) was that it was softer than I thought it would be.  So I'd reccomend tipping the blue and extra inch.  The tsi2 is a launcher.  Coupled with the blue profile will really get it up.  I had the diamana ltd blue 80tx in the 917 titleist and even though it was the most flexible shaft I'd ever gamed in a fairway, it performed well.  Sounds good.  I'd go as heavy shaft as they have and tip it 1.5 or 2 inches.  It wont ever feel too stiff....

• Like 1

M5/G410 @6.5 loft HZRDUS T1100 65g 6.5
PING G410 [email protected] HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5 
PING G410 17.5 HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5
Nike vapor fly pro 2 iron black tie 105x/DGX7
MP32/712mb/MP69/714mb/MP4/s55/900 Tour/iblade/965 combo/MP63/iblade 3-PW/P7TW 3-PW
Vokey sm6/Tour Gorge/Glide 2.0/ 52 millled grind / Vokey TVD K 58
NIPPON 1150gh X flex/kbs tour V 120x/Steelfiber 125x/S400 / now DGX7
Kuchar #1/Lamont Mann Custom ARM LOCK/custom Arm Locks-Scotty, Odyssey, TM Spider

53 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

I've decided to go with the Titleist TSi2 15* with av raw blue tx.  Question is 69 or 79 gram.  See thread below.

Appreciate the groups thoughts. 

75 tx.  I am a firm believer in a heavier shaft for fairway metals.  The point is accuracy and distance control.  Distance is secondary.  Don't forget to tip it.  Most shafts need that extra stiffness in the tip to control ball flight and spin.  Fuji and MRC recommend tipping 3 metals at least half an inch.  Personally I would recommend 1 to 2 inches of tipping in fairway metal. 

• Like 1

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4-PW w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+

58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Newport 1

Snell MTB-X

The softer I went with shaft, higher launching and so on, the more I seemed to struggle. Started to loose strike more than anything, which kept me from getting the launch. Switched into something stiffer throughout the whole profile, tensei pro white 70tx and things got better right away. Some will do better with certain set ups than others, no matter what its “supposed” to do.

On 11/20/2020 at 1:54 AM, CallawayOffCenter said:

I went through a similar experience looking for a 3 wood. I wanted something with a little more shallow of a face, felt like with my swing they launched much higher than deeper faced for me. I absolutely fell in love with taking my jpx 900 5 wood in an 18 degree head, and cranked it down to 16*. I put the weight all the way forward and its been my favorite club in the bag. Didn't lose much distance vs my rogue 15* but the height is much more what I was looking for. It'll work for now until i can try out some 15* heads and get fit.   

The best highest launching 3 wood is av4 wood!

• Like 1