Most bang for the buck

I am trying to determine what order I should update my set in order to get the biggest bang for my buck.  I am an avid player and get fit for my clubs.  Once I get them, I keep them.   I shoot in the low 80s consistently.  I replaced my Ping G15 Irons with a set (5-gap) of Mizuno JPX 919 forged in June and  I like the irons quite a bit.  Now, what should I upgrade next?  Options are:

1.  Driver - currently playing a G20

2.  Hybrids - currently playing g15 20* and 23* 

3.  Fairway wood - currently playing G15 4 wood (16*)

4.  Wedges - ping glide 1.0 (54*,58*)

I don’t have the money to do them all so looking for opinions as what upgrade will be the most beneficial.  And before someone tells me to use the money on lessons, I already take them.  Thanks! 

• Like 1
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd put the fairways and hybrids last....don't use them so much. If you are not having wedge problems, I'd go after a new driver.

I am trying to determine what order I should update my set in order to get the biggest bang for my buck.  I am an avid player and get fit for my clubs.  Once I get them, I keep them.   I shoot in the

I would get fit for the driver and keep the rest as is.

Your present clubs are fine.  Black Friday is coming and used golf ball website's prices are at their cheapest during that time so I suggest you should stock up when you have the chance for the best bang for your dollar.

• Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Test or get fit for all of them and see which one gives you the most improvement. 

When you upgraded your irons did your yard gap change from your 5 iron and 23° hybrid? If your yardage changed with 5 iron than get fit for hybrids that will give you proper yardage gaps. If the hybrids are fine, most people will upgrade their driver because majority of golfers struggle with the most or see the most improvement with a fitting/ technology. Usually wedges won’t need to but upgraded unless they wear out or you require different specification like bounce, shaft, loft, etc. fairway woods are the last to be upgraded because it the least used club for most golfers. 

Driver, wedge, then everything else.  Driver is the money club besides putter.  If you can't get off the tee, then you will be miserable the rest of the day.  Wedges are scoring clubs that are used on almost every single hole.  Since you're a ping man, I would suggest looking towards the G425 or G410 line.  Most importantly, get fitted or at the very least, go to a big box store and hit the demos. 

• Like 1

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4-PW w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+

58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Newport 1

Snell MTB-X

If you’re doing drivers and don’t mind slightly older the g410 are very good and are reasonably priced for a solid driver. Or going to the BST you might be able to get a driver and some wedges for price of new g425

TS3 8.5 Ventus Blue 7x or ZF 60TX

Ping G410 17 degree Ventus Blue 9x

Callaway UT 21 bent to 19 KBS Proto 105X

T100S 1 degree weak 4-PW Project X 7.0

SM8 50 Project X 6.5 
SM7 54 Project X 6.5 

Taylormade Hi-Toe 60 Project X 6.5

Piretti Cottonwood II or Scotty Newport 2 w/ Stability Shaft

Srixon XV 

I had G15 woods . Gave them away... Still kicking myself in the arse . 

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

Idk how consistent you are with your woods but changing them out can be tough if you know how reliable your club is. 
my 3w is touching that 10-11 yr mark and I did have a g400 3w this spring but offloaded that because I couldn’t get past the louder clink impact noise. So it can come down to sticking with what works tbh.

Ping G400/ fujikura pro 63 s

Cleveland launcher dst 3w/ diamana red board s 

Nike vrs covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Nike VR forged 52-56 / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ red pure grip 

1. Driver

2. Wedges 

3. Fairways and hybrids, but only if you are completely comfortable with them, no change for the sake of change.

SM 3.5 Bag:

Ping G410 9* Plus w/ Tensei Orange Pro 60 TX

TM Sim Ti 14* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ Evenflow T1100 S

Edel VL 4-PW w/ Rifle Flighted 6.5 SSx1

Edel 50/54/58 w/ Rifle 6.0

Piretti Potenza II 365g 34"

On 11/18/2020 at 10:01 PM, 10_ft_Jon_Boat said:

I am trying to determine what order I should update my set in order to get the biggest bang for my buck.  I am an avid player and get fit for my clubs.  Once I get them, I keep them.   I shoot in the low 80s consistently.  I replaced my Ping G15 Irons with a set (5-gap) of Mizuno JPX 919 forged in June and  I like the irons quite a bit.  Now, what should I upgrade next?  Options are:

1.  Driver - currently playing a G20

2.  Hybrids - currently playing g15 20* and 23* 

3.  Fairway wood - currently playing G15 4 wood (16*)

4.  Wedges - ping glide 1.0 (54*,58*)

I don’t have the money to do them all so looking for opinions as what upgrade will be the most beneficial.  And before someone tells me to use the money on lessons, I already take them.  Thanks! 

I think it depends on what you like and how you plan on upgrading them... it also depends on what you like the most and the least...

from a performance stand point, you probably hit your wedges and driver the most, so I’d put those on the list to replace first... I don’t like buying used wedges, and now is a good time to buy “last seasons” model for cheaper... Costco also sells them!  But depending on what you want and the shape of your current wedges, this will probably be the best value buy.

driver comes down to how well fit your current driver is... new stuff will get you a boost, but a fitter driver is the ideal solution... unless you know what you need / want and buy a used driver... used market has been crazy, though... I think the 2021

drivers are going to be phenomenal, so it might be worth waiting for the new releases to all come out. 

Hybrids and woods I’d replace as you find things you like... either chase down used stuff or try new releases and buy when you can... I don’t think any of them will have a huge impact on your score unless they are really bad fits that you insist on hitting poorly.

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7 

I'd say driver.  The G20 is good but I think you will actually see gains from a newer model if properly fit.

Titleist TSi2 9* Tensei AV 65 Raw White

Titleist 917f2 16.5* Aldila Rogue silver 70s

Titleist 915h 21* Aldila Rogue black 85s

Titleist 718 CB 4-P PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM6 54/10, SM7 58/8

Ping Anser Milled 2

Looks like you are playing well as is, but its always a nice feeling to find a club better than the one it replaced. Not an easy task as we all know. 

Like others have said  replacing the an older  driver with newer tech is a logical place to start. I did see where the G20 held up well against 5 yrs worth of Ping drivers in a test by Rich  Shiels though.  

I have  the 410 driver and  a combination of 400/410 fairway woods and hybrids. There are longer woods available but I'm pretty happy with the forgiveness factor with the Pings. 

I noticed you mentioned you liked,(not loved) your current iron set. For me being iron ho, that would leave me with no other choice but to upgrade the 919 forged to the 921 forged:) Some very positive reviews on the 921 Forged at the moment. 

Hopefully one can get a testing soon, stay safe.