How do you layer up in the ūü•∂ COLD.

Yesterday was the first winter-ish day here in Connecticut. Got down to 30* in the afternoon. In the 50’s, you can go with 2-3 layers without much restriction, but in the real cold, how do you approach it? 

I don’t have set attire. Recently, I’ve liked to go underarmour base layer, sweater vest and a vest, but yesterday that wasn’t warm enough, I threw an xxl hoodie over that (sacrilege, I know), but that wasn’t comfortable for me. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've always gone with lots of thinner layers rather than anything too thick - traps heat better and means I can still swing. So usually:   T-shirt Under Armour Base Layer Polo Shir

I just crank the heat up in the house and mutter I wish I was playing golf.

I don't. If it isn't 50*F, I do something different.   I have an arthritic right hip, and below 50* I have trouble getting the body warmed up. My swing is really jerky. Plus, I'm really sore

I don't. If it isn't 50*F, I do something different.

I have an arthritic right hip, and below 50* I have trouble getting the body warmed up. My swing is really jerky. Plus, I'm really sore the next day.

Also, I have a fairly set golf season. Once it starts freezing in November, I usually wait until late February to do any serious re-golfing. This year is odd, promise of 65* by noon today.

I use this time to finish Income Tax and do maintenance stuff around the house, get clubs regripped, maybe try to track down a bargain wedge or hybrid. And, go to the gym and work on the body. That way, I can get a good launch on golf season when weather warms up.

• Like 3

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:¬† Tour Edge EXS¬†10.5¬į, weights neutral¬† ¬†||¬†¬†FWs:¬†¬†Calla¬†Rogue¬†4W + 7W

Hybrid:¬† Calla Big Bertha OS¬†4H at 22¬į¬† ||¬†¬†Irons:¬† Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:¬† Calla MD3:¬†48¬į,¬†54¬į...¬†MD4:¬†58¬į¬†||¬†¬†Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

Playing in Finland, it can get cold early and late in the season. If it's 30's and windy, it can be tough.

My setup:

Lower:

Underwear, long underwear, golf pants, rain pants (as needed). Wool socks, waterproof shoes.

Upper:

cotton t-shirt, long sleeve dryfit undershirt, golf polo, sweater (J Lindeberg, for example), cross country ski jacket, rain jacket (as needed).

Hat: Wool flat cap (no wind), wool beanie (ear flaps for wind)

Gloves: ski gloves as needed

• Like 1

Our courses generally are not open when it gets to the low 30's (essentially, freezing temps) as they want to shut down the courses to protect the greens.

50's (10C+) its pretty easy for me to just wear pants and a light pullover over a golf shirt. 

low 40's (4-5C) i'll usually wear a thin long sleeve shirt with a more insulated/thicker pullover. Under Armour and Puma have a lot of these that i've gotten as giveaways over the years. They are like pullovers that are a bit fluffier inside so to speak

If i have to wear anything more than that we usually aren't allowed to play

Callaway Mavrik Max 9 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Ping G410 LST 13 w/Ping Tour 75
Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Prototype 85
Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
Titleist Vokey SM8 60 M grind

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

For the cold and coldest of days it goes like this. 

Legs:

Fleece base layer on legs

Warmest socks I own

Heaviest golf pants or been experimenting in my Lulu Joggers (fight me traditional crowd, they are warm and breath)

Top:

UnderArmour or Smartwool base layer

*Skip the golf shirt just more bulk when you're never taking off your jacket 

1/4 Zip pull over or vest 

My hybrid Sunice jacket if its real cold I will use my Patagonia Nanopuff jacket 

Head and neck:

Heavy winter hat 

Fleece neck gaiter (surprisingly important and good for covering face from wind also)

Hands:

Cart mitts or Titleist around waist hand warmer 

HotHands hand warmers also a must 

Edited by DaltonSTL
  • Like 1

Titleist TS3 9.5 Diamana BF 60x | Taylormade M5 14* Evenflow Black 75g 6.0 | Ping G410 19* Tour 85x | Srixon z785 4-PW C-Taper Lite X | Titleist Vokey SM7 50F 56S 60S, Blue Slate, Modus 125s | Lajsoi DD201 Longneck | Taylormade TP5x Yellow

I have a tournament here in Ohio on saturday.  Forecast calls for cloudy in the 40's.  Here's the gameplan:

Legs:

- Fall weight Adidas pants

- Nike Hyper Shield pants in the bag for extra warmth if it gets windy

Body:

- Under armour cold gear base layer

- Golf Polo

- Under armour storm sweater fleece

- FJ Hydrolite jacket in the bag for extra warmth if it gets windy

Head:

- Regular golf hat

- 180s ear muffs

- Neck gaiter

Misc:

- Hand warmers in my pocket all day

That's pretty much my cold weather set up.  Hand warmers are a must!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sim Max 9* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Rocket 14* Fujikura Speeder TR 757x 

Tour Issued Sim Ti 18.2* Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8x

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Nippon Modus 125x

Mizuno T20 Raw 50/10, 55/8,  59/6 DG Tour Issue s400

EVNROLL ER2B 

Where I live I'm more concerned about the wind and wind chill vs actual temps themselves. If it 40 and sunny with no wind (RARE) I'll play. If it's windy, wet, or predicted below 40 throughout the day I'm not going. With this weather it's usually time to forego golf and get the decoys out for some duck and goose hunting. But if I'm gonna tee it up, I'll wear something like this:

Sitka Marino Wool top and bottom with Marino wool socks

Galvin Green Gore Tex Rain pants and Marino 1/4 zip pullover top.

Filson or similar fleece vest or a Wooly Pully under a hoodie.

A black wool watch cap or beanie and a off-hand golf glove.

Edited by nitram

JBeam Bullet 10*                           Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 3 & 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 7WD                          Oban Kiyoshi Black 05-85
MIURA CB57 5-7                           MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA Tournament Blade 8-P      MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 34/350gr. 1.5 Beach Prototype (A010656)

Temperature is secondary to wind, sun, and if you're walking or riding.  Don't load up on layers.  The key is to trap your heat.  Doesn't take a lot of layers for that.  Cover all exposed skin.  Wear a gaiter around your neck.  Keep hands warm.  

In the 30s, I'll wear darn tough socks, chinos or fleece lined pants, compression base layer, UA 1/4 zip, wool jumper, and then some jacket or vest on top.  

• Like 2

I played yesterday and it was our first real cold day out there. Temperature hovered in the high 30s, but it was rather windy 10-15 mph plus whatever gusts popped up. Honestly I only expected to play 9, but was comfortable enough to play 18. 

Under Armour Mock ColdGear

Polo

FootJoy Lined Sweater

Titleist knit hat and headband

Bottom

Under Armour ColdGear Leggings

Just plain Nike Golf pants

Sun Mountain light rain pants

I found that wearing the headband under the knit hat helps keep insulated a bit more than just the hat. I'm going to order a few pair of the Under Armour Infrared pants also, they're a thicker material with a fleece lining. They stand up pretty well in light rain and against the wind. 

Ping G410 LST / Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TSi2 16.5* / Fujikura Ventus Black 8x

Titleist TSi2 21* / Fujikura Ventus Red 9x

Titleist T100-S 4-W / True Temper DG X7

Vokey SM8 54-12 D Grind / True Temper DG TI X1

Vokey SM8 WW 58-6 LB K Grind / True Temper DG TI X1

Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5 Dual Balance / KBS CT Tour

PXG One and Done Double Bend / BGT Stability

I'm getting old and feeling the cold much more now. This year I went with base layer for legs. First time with this, and couldn't believe the difference it made. DIdn't want to invest much as an experiment so bought a Costco brand for $17. Highly recommend this route. 

Titleist TS3 9.5d. 

Titleist 917f3 13.5d. 

Titleist 818h2 17d. 

WIlson Staff C300 forged 4-pw

Srixon U-85 20d. 

Scratch 8620 53d. 

Odyssey white hot pro

I layer similar to what I would do either skiing (riding), or, cross country skiing (walking)

base layer - moves moisture away from your skin. Uniqlo heattech top, and, REI mts boxer brief bottom(these have a longer inseam), or full length bottoms, if it is really cold.

middle layer - insulating layer, my current favorite is adidas climawarm textured dot 1/2 zip

outer layer - Zero Restriction goretex jacket (if rain is in the forecast) or Zero Restriction Cloud - wind jacket - very light and breathable. For pants - Nike weatherized pants, or, Eddie Bauer Adventure Trek pants(Costco) - windproof, and, water resistant. For bottoms, you could, also, wear regular pants with rain pants on top. 

as LeoLeo99 said above - The key is to trap your heat.

I play at a club where many of the members have use of a single cart through the winter.  Cart covers and a heater are pretty big game changers.  This years covid restrictions will have a say, everyone wants to be in a covered cart by themselves.   

Otherwise I go with long johns, lined pants, Wool Socks and Hothands Toe warmers

top is a base layer, shirt, sweater and a down sweater.  Hothands hand warmers for the front pocket are essential.   

the slick fabric and compressible down make these Down Sweater things perfect for cold weather golf.  My old patagonia lasted years and it's Marmot Replacement has a hood.

hand and toes warmers are really really nice.   I get a box of both of them every year now.

Ping 9¬į G410+ tensi orange s
Ping 3 Wood G410+ tour 75 shaft s.  
Ping 5 wood G410 Alta s
Adams 9031 23¬į Mitsubishi diamana¬†
Ping G710 DG 105 R300
Ping glide stealth 54¬į es grind
Ping glide 2 58¬į. ES
Ping anser

Top: 

baselayer compression 

polo

fleece lined quarter zip 

cold gear vest

bottom:
underwear

tights

golf pants 

Beenie for sure. 

TSi3 8 Diamana D+ 70TX

Ts3 15.75 Diamana BF 80TX 

P790 3 Iron CTaper 130x

4-PW 1 degree weak 921 SEL CTaper 130x 

SM8 50.12 at 51 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 135x
SM7 54.08 at 56 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 135x

Taylormade Hi-Toe 60 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 135x

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 with Stability Shaft

Srixon XV 

If it’s really cold, like just above freezing,

Trousers

Waterproof trousers

Base layer top - long sleeved

Golf shirt

Jumper/sweater 

Waterproof jacket 

If only the courses in the UK were open!

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 9.5 (adjusted to 11) - Aldila Rogue Silver 60X
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Testing - Titleist 818H2 (19) & 816H2 (20) Aldila Rogue Silver & Black X
Titleist 716CB 3-9 - X100
Vokey SM7 46.10, 50.08, 54M, 59M - S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Titleist Pro V1

For me when it gets cooler, it's all about managing the wind.  Having a jacket that can cut the wind from going through is going to keep me warmer even if it isn't breezy.  I will start with a base layer compression shirt and a 1/2 sleeve jacket and build up from there as needed.  Once it gets to the point where I have to have a long sleeve shirt and long sleeve jacket I stop playing as I hate that much around my wrists.  

Same goes for pants.  I will just wear rain pants and be content in those.  

Titleist Canada Day Bag:  Red Maple Leaf Dormie Headcovers

Titleist Tsi3 10* w/ KK XT 60 X

Titleist TS3 16.5* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ EF T1100 6.0

Edel 4-P w/ Paderson TS-I S

Edel 50/54/58 w/ Paderson TS-W S

Yes! Abbie Forged 33"

Does anyone actually enjoy playing in the low 30s? 

I know we have to do the internet toughness thing. At the end of the day i live year round in Montreal, low 30s is just a way of life here so it's no big deal overall. 

However i can't say i particularly enjoy playing golf in it. Golf just isn't really a game for freezing temps. I used to play in a Flag Football league that ran November and December outdoors, i actually found that more enjoyable

Ping G410 4-SW w/S300

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

1 minute ago, MtlJeff said:

I know we have to do the internet toughness thing. At the end of the day i live year round in Montreal, low 30s is just a way of life here so it's no big deal overall. 

However i can't say i particularly enjoy playing golf in it. Golf just isn't really a game for freezing temps. I used to play in a Flag Football league that ran November and December outdoors, i actually found that more enjoyable

Depends on how it is.  if its windy and rainy, then obviously no.  But 5-8 degrees with the sun out, absolutely.

Yes! Abbie Forged 33"

3 minutes ago, gwelfgulfer said:

Depends on how it is.  if its windy and rainy, then obviously no.  But 5-8 degrees with the sun out, absolutely.

I agree with you but that's a big difference , 5-8 degrees C is 41-45F. Something like that with the sun out is rather enjoyable even

But low 30s we're talking about -2 or 0....that is another thing. 

Ping G410 4-SW w/S300

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

3 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I agree with you but that's a big difference , 5-8 degrees C is 41-45F. Something like that with the sun out is rather enjoyable even

At that point it would depend on how long its been cold out.  If we have somewhat climatized to it, then yes, but if one day its 15* out and the next its 0*, than that is less than enjoyable.  I will generally stay out until around 3* and sunny.  After that, it's harder to keep hands warm without getting too warm and sweating.

Montreal isn't know for being warm...

Edited by gwelfgulfer

Yes! Abbie Forged 33"

35 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

The sun makes all the difference. If it's sunny it's not to bad, cloudy is a little much.

The thing I started doing recently which made things 10x better is wearing wind proof mittens. You don't realize how much your hands being cold take away from the fun. I actually felt warm with mittens and a light jacket walking in the mid 30's.

Usually has to be at least 50 degrees for me to even think about playing. If there is no wind I may venture out to golf if it's low-mid 40's. After that I would need so many layers that it would restrict my so swing too much for me to enjoy playing. That's when I switch to indoor simulator golf. Great fun & keeps me golfing through the winter.

Driver: Cobra SZ Extreme @ 11.5 Degrees

5 Wood: Cobra F8 @ 17 Degrees

Hybrid: Cobra 3-4 OS @ 20.5 degrees

Hybrid: Cobra F9 @ 24 Degrees

Irons: Callaway Apex 19's 6-SW

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degrees

Putter: PXG Closer

I wear UA cold gear top and bottom base layer. Then a polo, Cold gear pants, socks and then a golf warm cost. Beanie and gloves. 

TM SIM Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM SIM 19 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM GAPR Mid 4 iron 20 Fujikara Fuel
TM GAPR Mid 5 iron 23 Aldila RIP 
TM P790 6 Nippon Modus 3 130, Black 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
TM Milled Grind 2 Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
TM Hi-Toe Big Foot 58 Nippon Pro WV115
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

4 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I go to Vegas a lot.¬† All different times of the year.¬† When it's 45¬įF in Vegas and people are in the pool swimming, you can bet your maple syrup that they are from Canada.¬†¬†

25 minutes ago, LeoLeo99 said:

I go to Vegas a lot.¬† All different times of the year.¬† When it's 45¬įF in Vegas and people are in the pool swimming, you can bet your maple syrup that they are from Canada.¬†¬†

LOL i don't even mind when it's 0 (32F), it's just not great for golf. The grass is different, it's like...muddier and wetter. You often get wind at that time of year, punched greens etc...The whole experience is less enjoyable

But a 7C day in the sun in October when course conditions are still good, is great

You might have seen me BTW....haha i also used to go to Vegas 1-2 times a year

Edited by MtlJeff

Ping G410 4-SW w/S300

SGC #002 flow neck 385g