2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Do you play to your equipment or equip to your game?

lefthack

I was talking to some friends and this came up. As a lefty, my choices for clubs has gotten better over the years. But can be a challenge. I bought my clubs based on where I felt my game was and what might help me improve.

My buddy got fitted at the shop and got clubs based on what the fitter felt was best for his game.

Balls are a whole other issue. I am a cheap bastxxx and play cheap balls. But I know how to play them. I can't imagine spending $30+/dozen when I lose 5 a round.🤣

So I am curious. Do you spend a bunch on balls and actually notice $3/ball difference?

Did you buy your clubs based on what felt the best, or based on what someone told you would be best based on your current game?

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Purchase clubs definitely on what is best for my current game. Trying to get clubs for what I may become down the road isn't something that would work for me.  But my game is fairly stable, chipping and putting is my do or die.    And golf balls, I go with good ones, just not that much per round in the grand scheme of things.  But I don't lose but maybe 1 every few rounds.  If I started losing 4 or so balls a round, I'd start taking lessons again.  

• Like 2

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

The lost balls are kind of funny. I lost 2 on the fairway yesterday. The course has a TON of leaves and I spent a good 10 minutes looking. Right side of the fairway, couldn't find either one.

The 5th hole is my killer. You have to thread the needle and there is water down the left side. If I slice at all, it's gone. If you aim too far right, gone. I lost 3 off the tee yesterday. 

The course is building a driving range and the tee for 5 will move to shoot over the pond vs along it, so I think that would be good. 

PXL_20201031_192513008.jpg

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

I play the clubs that feel "just right" and works best for my game. After 40+ years in this game I have a pretty good idea on what works for me. Same thing with balls. I'll do a biennial ball test and stock up on what wins the test. Current winner is the TP5X and has been for the past 6 years.

• Like 2

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I just got all newer clubs and will be joining a local club this year so I will be playing A LOT more than I have in the past. I haven't played more than a few rounds a year, if any since college until now. This is my 3rd set of clubs since 1989, so while my game isn't bad, my equipment experience is limited. 

I still have some work to do dialing in my short irons. But I will say, I am very happy with my current bag. I just need some new grips done, I hope to get those this week. But moveing from game improvement irons to a combo set with blade shorts has shown me what workable irons can do. U just need to learn how to work them. 🤣

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

I turned 70 recently, so my clubs reflect what I need for my game. The limit: I do this without being extravagant on purchases.

Sometimes this involves full fittings, other times I extrapolate off of fittings and do some trail/error to find the right club (especially for single clubs). For example, my 4i became my driving iron when I reshafted it from steel to graphite hybrid.

The new clubs I have bought the past three years were all models I had tried out at demo days. After first price cut, I would often do a verification fitting and then buy them. This is getting risky the last couple of years, however. The OEMs are doing a much tighter job of managing their supply chains - after first price break, availability can be spotty.

One of my problems seems to be a loss of swingspeed. Went from 60+ gram driver and FW shafts to models in the 50s. This has helped my tempo, less temptation to muscle the ball, more consistent distance. 

I likely will move to graphite shafts in my irons for next year. I'm not sure if I will reshaft, or get new clubs. One of the new-guy companies has some flighted graphite iron shafts that look interesting. With shafts in irons, a big weight drop can lead to overswinging. One suggestion made by clubsmiths is to tweak lighter-shafted clubs back up to D2 swingweight so I can still feel the head at top.

I'm looking at the first full-bag fitting in about 12 years. Last time was when I went from stiff back to regular.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I also select the clubs to fit my game/swing.  This year, switched up my putter due to noticing improvement with a different style putter than I'd been using.  

Doing it the other way feels like square peg/round hole.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

This year decided to get clubs that gave me a 10 yard gap between clubs. My irons have a 41/2 to 5 degree difference. Then I switched out my 6 iron with 6 hybrid and replaced my older 3 thru 5 hybrids with adjustable lofts so I could tune then in to my game. This allowed me to get rid of my 5 wood . The only thing I’m looking for now is a 3 wood or 4 wood with a low profile. The big Bertha 21 can work sometimes but I get too many hooking right but get the height desired. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Clubs are a combination of feel and what works. If something works right, but I don't feel confident with it I don't want it. 

Balls, I couldn't imagine playing something consistently without a urethane cover. You give up way too much in the short game. There is plenty of deals to be had that make urethane tour balls cheap enough in my opinion for someone who loses quite a bit of balls.  If you are just trying to improve play a worse ball off the tee and switch to a better one for second shot and on to minimize lost quality balls.

Edited by DaltonSTL
  • Like 1

I play the MTB-X which is reasonably priced at just under 30 bucks a box when bought in bulk.  When I want to splurge I go for the AVX.  As for clubs, I always get fitted on a launch monitor with my buddy who's a club fitter and I go strictly by the numbers as I don't care much for feel or sound.  I will say this.  I do tend to gravitate towards TM woods and JDM irons and wedges. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I play what helps me score lowest and gives me the most confidence before hitting the ball. I really like SGI type stuff that still retains feel and has minimal chunkiness. I love a good SGI 4i that hides the junk in the trunk!

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

If someone is fit for clubs to match their current game, is there any possible way those clubs actually harm his/her game should it improve?  The idea of growing into clubs is curious to me. After all, it’s not like a pair of kids shoes that will inevitably not fit. 

• Like 3

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

For me it's all about what gives me confidence. If anything, I'm gravitating towards clubs that don't require me to perfect with every shot. Minimize the damage on the misses if you will.

So for me, I know I am a very good driver of the golf ball and can lean toward something that will optimize distance over forgiveness. But on the flip side, I'm not a great iron player so I need an iron that helps with distance and height. I'm not going to strike them perfectly every time so I'm always after something that launches high and flies far to help me stop balls on greens.

I guess that puts me more in the camp of fitting equipment to my game.

Concerning balls, I notice a difference, but I also know I'm going to lose a few so best to not over spend. I went down the road this year of finding a brand that offered a premium construction ball at a lower price (i.e. Snell, Vice, Maxfli). Ended up with the Maxfli Tour after some testing and comparing. With the sale they run on these and with Dick's coupons I get, often get these for under $25/dozen

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, toc said:

If someone is fit for clubs to match their current game, is there any possible way those clubs actually harm his/her game should it improve?  The idea of growing into clubs is curious to me. After all, it’s not like a pair of kids shoes that will inevitably not fit. 

This was my thought process. My old irons I got in '96, Ping Zing 2's. I loved them and played close to scratch with them. But I REALLY wanted to play the Nike Vapor Pro Combos ($1200 retail when new) and an ugly used set came up for $150 and I had a $25 coupon. 

They are 5-pw and I am crushing the long irons so much that I am looking for a 4 and 3. I got a 3h and 4h a few months back as a phase 2 upgrade after I got newer 3 and 5 woods.

The shorts I am learning I can really shape my shot vs just a clean straight hit. This is a whole new level for me, so I am pretty excited.

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

I have to say, one thing I love about golf is the physics behind it. Perfecting my swing so that it's not only consistent, but also fluid is important to me.

I think Tiger has one of the best looking swings and his shot shaping skills are insane. 

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Also, I bought my clubs because they looked cool.   🤣

The Nike Sumo's look cool. Driver, 3 and 5 woods. I can hit both 3 and 5 off the deck really well.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

I think it all has to do with how much golf you play and how much money you have to spend. There are golfers playing 15 year old clubs and can play to scratch with dirty found golf balls. There are golfers who have been fitted for a whole bag and still are high handicappers. I think in this website, more are fit to their game than play to the equipment they buy or are given.

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

I just can't justify the high prices, but again, cheap bastxxx. I like nice stuff, just not paying retail. And things like balls where I honestly can't tell much difference between them can't justify more than $.50/ball.

I can see playing my current clubs for a while. If I ever feel like they are the issue, I might revisit it. As much as I love looking at new stuff, I will wait.

Besides, I got to buy a cart and pimp it out now that I'm joining the club. My budget is $2k and I really want a gas cart. See how far I get.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

I have decided to focus on the ball a little more based on some responses. I found a deal on a mixed batch of 100 Nike balls of different types, so I will play around with a few different ones on the same shot and see if I can tell a difference.

I have managed to amass a few balls by accident. So I SHOULD have enough balls for at least 200 rounds of golf. 

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

I normally buy a few dozen of the balls I use when an offer is on, and stick to those exclusively, just helps a bit feel wise (probably all in my head).

Club wise, I tend to go on what is happening on the course, and find this is the best way to test new gear. For some reason any club that I’ve bought from a fitting session has failed miserably. 

• Like 2

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

I'm also a cheap bastxxx with a penchant for losing a ball or two a round, and play used balls - Srixon Z Star and XVs scouring the bay for AAAA condition ones.  I went years with cheap balls (TF Gamers), then went urethane with new XVs then KSigs, then found these bad boys.  They've all been great, no bad ball, no scuffs, no performance drop off on course or Trackman, and at $0.60 to $0.80 a ball I don't mind challenging doglegs or water carries.

Irons and driver were through fittings - best at those times.  Otherwise trial and error of performance, feel, and looks. 

• Like 1

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

I got 2 bags of 60 AAAA rated orange @ $25 bag. Most are Nittro or Maifli. I bought a box of 45 red and 45 orange Nittro's for $25 each, then just ordered the mixed bag of 100 Nike for $35. 

I usually play 2 ball scramble so I will make a point of using one "good" ball with a cheap ball and see what happens.

I will alternate what ball I hit first. My second shot is better sometimes.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

I play a premium ball and love the feel, in the fall i will try other balls to see what is out there for me. 

As for clubs i look at numbers in a fitting and how it feels to me. The club fitter i use has had me to blind testing, sets up 6 irons and hands them to me and we go with feel and numbers. What they look like doesnt normally bother me unless it is BUTT ugly. 

I want a club the feels good and gives me great numbers. 

• Like 1

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

On 11/19/2020 at 8:25 AM, lefthack said:

I was talking to some friends and this came up. As a lefty, my choices for clubs has gotten better over the years. But can be a challenge. I bought my clubs based on where I felt my game was and what might help me improve.

My buddy got fitted at the shop and got clubs based on what the fitter felt was best for his game.

Balls are a whole other issue. I am a cheap bastxxx and play cheap balls. But I know how to play them. I can't imagine spending $30+/dozen when I lose 5 a round.🤣

So I am curious. Do you spend a bunch on balls and actually notice $3/ball difference?

Did you buy your clubs based on what felt the best, or based on what someone told you would be best based on your current game?

Opinions in golf are as abundant and equally (often) useless as autumn leaves... They might look lovely and romantic but they often do u no good.

When u first start out, u should defo seek an expert's advice.

Once u know what u are doing, go for what feel good and look good to u.

Go for the hottest blonde of clubs that u often dream of. Who cares if it's harder to hit than a chubby game improvement set. 

Balls wise, go for the best that u can afford. It does matter to have consistent distance, spin rates, and trajectory if u wana crack 80. 

Those are my autumn leaves.

Cheers

• Like 1

Clubs 

Feel and ball flight.

Distance isn't a "make or break" issue for me with irons.

Not loyal to any OEM.

Irons generally 1/2" long with standard lie

My shaft preferences are (KBS-Nippon-True Temper) shafts with a mid bend and mid kick.

12-14 bounce wedges as I tend to gouge.

Balls

I play the ProV1 almost exclusively, but I score just as well with a Top Flite XL.  I play for a little more roll out with the XL. Plus I don't cringe as bad when I send a XL into the water.

Grips

Tour Wrap's (midsize) or Lamkin Wrap (midsize)

Philosophy

I can afford any clubs that I want, but tinkering is a hobby/passion of mine and I love searching for deals on 2-5 year old models.

I'm not into this new fitting rage, as I see 95% of these players getting fit before they learn to swing. They obsess with numbers, but carry the same handicap every year? 🤔  A good golf instructor will know if your clubs aren't right for you....at least the ones that I know. 

• Like 1

I think you’re looking at it wrong.  Yes a better ball might cost a tad more but I believe it gives me a better shot to win a bet.  Short game is where I save or loose strokes.   A ball I can spin adds that possibility to my short game.    

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

So now I have WAY too many balls coming to try out. Callaway, Titleist, Taylormade, and another mixed bag of "premium" balls. 

My goal is 100 rounds next year. That might be more than I have played up to now, but we will see.

I have also decided to register for a handicap which is kinda weird to me since I usually don't keep score. But it is hard to gauge progress if I don't know what my actual score is.

Thanks all for the insight and feedback.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Clubs. They have to look good to me first. Then flight, spin sole design. If the performance I need isn't there I move on. Then feel. I gravitate towards Mizuno and Titleist feel. I know they are different but I like both.  Driver, 3 wood , hybrids and driving irons I use the same basic premise. Maybe feel not as much and more on CG location to help maximize distances. 

Balls. How they spin with all clubs. Less with driver and a little more as I go down, or up. I like a slightly firm feel so I play the ProV1x left dash. Gives me performance I look for across the board. 

So, I would say I play clubs I am capable of shooting my best scores with based on how I decide. 

• Like 1