Do you play to your equipment or equip to your game?

On 11/19/2020 at 1:04 PM, phizzy30 said:

I don't care much for feel or sound.  I will say this.  I do tend to gravitate towards TM woods and JDM irons and wedges. 

Ha... I find this humorous, as I consider jdm stuff to be best for “feel”.

I play snell balls, as they perform well for the price.

on the club front, I focus on what fits my game and what functionality I need... I was at 13 clubs for a decent bit and added a utility iron because I need something between my 5 iron and hybrid, so I picked something that filled a distance role while also adding a better option for low shots.

my focus is on using each of the 14 slots to fill a role beyond just distance gapping. I play a variety of bounces and sole grinds in my wedges... my hybrid goes high, my utility goes low... my ideal three wood is a two wood I can hit off the tee and the deck (still shopping).

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If someone is fit for clubs to match their current game, is there any possible way those clubs actually harm his/her game should it improve?  The idea of growing into clubs is curious to me. After all

Purchase clubs definitely on what is best for my current game. Trying to get clubs for what I may become down the road isn't something that would work for me.  But my game is fairly stable, chipping a

I normally buy a few dozen of the balls I use when an offer is on, and stick to those exclusively, just helps a bit feel wise (probably all in my head).   Club wise, I tend to go on what is

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

Ha... I find this humorous, as I consider jdm stuff to be best for “feel”.

I play snell balls, as they perform well for the price.

on the club front, I focus on what fits my game and what functionality I need... I was at 13 clubs for a decent bit and added a utility iron because I need something between my 5 iron and hybrid, so I picked something that filled a distance role while also adding a better option for low shots.

my focus is on using each of the 14 slots to fill a role beyond just distance gapping. I play a variety of bounces and sole grinds in my wedges... my hybrid goes high, my utility goes low... my ideal three wood is a two wood I can hit off the tee and the deck (still shopping).

Ok you got me there.  JDM irons are some of the best feeling and softest out there.  They also happen to look good and perform well for me as well.  My set up is also 13 clubs atm.  I've been tinkering around and still haven't decided what extra club to add.  Gap wedge is pointless for me as I can cover distances between my PW and 54.  I've tried a 64 and don't find it very useful because I would rarely use it.  Shots 110 and in for me I can cover with my 58 and it has plenty of spin and loft around the greens.  I'm thinking maybe 5 metal, but I already have a 2 HB that I'm happy with and the distance gap between that a 5 metal is marginal at best. 

• Like 1

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4-PW w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+

58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Newport 1

Snell MTB-X

I'd say a bit both. If the clubs don't look good to my eye, or feel good in my hands, I pass on them. But then again, I'm a righty, and have a lot of choices.

So my answer is a compromise of the two.

Regarding balls, I also lose "enough" for pause, but I still play premium. I just don't buy them new. Still, I buy the best quality available. Which, coincidentally, is still less than $30/doz.

Edited by sshadow2

PING G410 Plus 9* Graphite Design AD XC-6
Cobra KING Speedzone FW 14.5* 3W Graphite Design AD-DI 6
Cobra KING F9 Hybrid 21* Fujikura Atmos Red 7 TS
Cobra KING F9 Hybrid 24* Fujikura Atmos Red 7 TS
Cobra KING Forged Tec 6-PW $-Taper Lite
Cleveland CBX2 48* KBS C-Taper
Cleveland CBX2 54* KBS C-Taper
TaylorMade MGS TW Edition 60* KBS C-Taper
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport
TaylorMade TP5 ball

4 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Ok you got me there.  JDM irons are some of the best feeling and softest out there.  They also happen to look good and perform well for me as well.  My set up is also 13 clubs atm.  I've been tinkering around and still haven't decided what extra club to add.  Gap wedge is pointless for me as I can cover distances between my PW and 54.  I've tried a 64 and don't find it very useful because I would rarely use it.  Shots 110 and in for me I can cover with my 58 and it has plenty of spin and loft around the greens.  I'm thinking maybe 5 metal, but I already have a 2 HB that I'm happy with and the distance gap between that a 5 metal is marginal at best. 

If they work, they work! I just found it to be a funny juxtaposition. 

honestly, I could probably play 10

clubs and not have many problems... I carry a five iron for basically one shot (2nd hole, back tees to back pin... four utility doesn’t stop fast enough, six iron can’t get there)... I wanted to try a sub70 club, so it’s in the bag. 

My strategy with bag makeup is to make sure every club has a purpose... after club ten, most of my clubs are fairly niche. I carry a gap wedge more for bump and run purposes than 110 yard shots... though I’ve gotten more use from it as I’ve embraced the sieckmann chipping methods. 

One day I’ll do a full bag overhaul at one time... no idea what the final setup will look like!

• Like 1

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7 

My last few rounds I have used my 56 wedge for everything inside of 30' including fringe, so I think I might get rid of my 60 Wedge. I'm loving my irons and have almost got my driver under control.

I have quite a few balls on the way to try out. Mostly softer than what I usually play, so see how it works out.

If I toss my 60, I might get a 2h.