Walkup at Memorial Park

Krose00

4 minutes ago, Royal690 said:

I have a tee time Sunday afternoon at Gus this weekend but it's looking like rain, might make for a quieter day though.

And then playing Cinco ranch next Wednesday.  Might just bite the bullet and take pto midweek for a decent tee time at Memorial. 

Any other courses I should look into while I'm here?

Cypresswood tradition! that and Memorial are my two favourites, a trek from Katy though. 

Gus is awesome, I like the Blackhorse courses but they are too expensive now to be worth the money. A good deal on Golf Club of Houston can be found but its not worth more than 75 a round. Cypress course is decent at Cypresswood but the first 4 holes are terrible and that make it not worth the trek for you. 

• Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • Taylormade P790 18* UDI Project X 6.5
  • Ping Blueprint 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

2 minutes ago, scott_Donald said:

Cypresswood tradition! that and Memorial are my two favourites, a trek from Katy though. 

Gus is awesome, I like the Blackhorse courses but they are too expensive now to be worth the money. A good deal on Golf Club of Houston can be found but its not worth more than 75 a round. Cypress course is decent at Cypresswood but the first 4 holes are terrible and that make it not worth the trek for you. 

Well I'm bouncing around a bit while I'm staying here.  So right now I'm staying downtown, in a week I'll be in the Clear Lake area and then I have family out near Katy.  I don't mind driving as long as it's worth it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Royal690 said:

I have a tee time Sunday afternoon at Gus this weekend but it's looking like rain, might make for a quieter day though.

And then playing Cinco ranch next Wednesday.  Might just bite the bullet and take pto midweek for a decent tee time at Memorial. 

Any other courses I should look into while I'm here?

Tournament Course at Golf Club of Houston is my personal favorite.

Cypresswood, Black Horse, High Meadow Ranch are also good ones in the area.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

But how will they police that? I live in the heights but how will they know that? I played on Wednesday with a guy who walked there, one who lived 2 minutes away and his friend from the Woodlands so what would count as the expensive rate. 

I am at memorial practicing 3 or 4 days a week and try and play it once a week. 

Plenty of ways to police it. Lot of other courses do this for residents vs non.

They can make you register using your address and get some sort of "Houston resident" card. Or just verify with drivers license at check in. Etc etc. 

Callaway Rogue, AD-TP 6S
Callaway Epic Flash 3W        
Titleist U500, Tensei White 90 S
Miura Y Grind, Nippon Modus3 120S
Vokey SM7 52, 56 Callaway PM 60
Artisan 0217, Customer #62

1 hour ago, ND2005 said:

Plenty of ways to police it. Lot of other courses do this for residents vs non.

They can make you register using your address and get some sort of "Houston resident" card. Or just verify with drivers license at check in. Etc etc. 

hmmm, better not be driving licence, I still cant get a US one because of Covid.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

I played Cypresswood Tradition earlier this week - really like that course.  It's a classic swampy, East TX, Houston course.  I know Houston's topography is not everyone's cup of tea, but the native in me finds something appealing in it even after spending the last twenty years in the Northeast.  Course is in very good shape, although it's not the toughest test.

I really like Eagle Pointe but haven't been there recently.  Was thinking of getting out there this week.  It's way out east, so would only make sense for you when you're staying downtown. 

• Like 1

Be careful at golf club of Houston parking in the last few rows of the parking lot. My car window got smashed in there by vandals a few weeks back, the clubs response “oh that happens in those last few rows”. I was considering becoming a member there, will never spend a dime with them again after that amount of neglect. That same day I had a 11:50 tee time, I got there at 11:20 (range was closed but they didn’t post it online) and I wasn’t able to get a cart to get to the first tee until 11:55. They have a real management problem IMO and it’s starting to show with the course conditions. 

SIM2 10.5 (set to 9) W/Ventus Black 6X
SIM2 TI 3 w/Tensei Raw White 2.0 85TX

SIM UDI 2 w/Nippon GOST TX
or SIM2 TI 5 w/Fuji Speeder 9.2 X
Callaway Apex TCB Raw 4-PW w/ TI X100
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

5 minutes ago, SC-TX 88 said:

Be careful at golf club of Houston parking in the last few rows of the parking lot. My car window got smashed in there by vandals a few weeks back, the clubs response “oh that happens in those last few rows”. I was considering becoming a member there, will never spend a dime with them again after that amount of neglect. That same day I had a 11:50 tee time, I got there at 11:20 (range was closed but they didn’t post it online) and I wasn’t able to get a cart to get to the first tee until 11:55. They have a real management problem IMO and it’s starting to show with the course conditions. 

wow, no wonder they have so many deals lately for membership and play. 

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

On 12/12/2020 at 9:16 AM, scott_Donald said:

wow, no wonder they have so many deals lately for membership and play. 

I was playing there once a week for a few months with the deals they were having, noticeably went down hill in that timeframe. I was in a greenside bunker and tried to dig my feet in and there was no sand and my spikes were getting caught in the meshing on the bottom of the bunker.  It’s a shame i really enjoy that course. 

• Like 1

Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

On 12/12/2020 at 9:10 AM, SC-TX 88 said:

I will say that there's a couple "new guys" in the Pro Shop that I definitely have had bad experiences with. Most notably about a month ago I made the trip on a Saturday to do the range, walked in the pro shop and was told that the range was closed (looked like back of the range was open), which I was fine with, but then his comment was followed by "our range is only open to members anyways". I said "huh, that's funny because I've been up here a dozen times only for the range" and he replied "you have to pay for a green fee to be allowed to use the range". On top of all that, they do a good job of requiring people to wear mask in the clubhouse, but apparently he was exempt from the rules behind the counter. Almost went back inside to ask for his name but decided not to.

I haven't been back to GCoH since - unfortunate because it's my favorite course in Houston along with Memorial Park.

Edited by Lefty_89

4 hours ago, Lefty_89 said:

I will say that there's a couple "new guys" in the Pro Shop that I definitely have had bad experiences with. Most notably about a month ago I made the trip on a Saturday to do the range, walked in the pro shop and was told that the range was closed (looked like back of the range was open), which I was fine with, but then his comment was followed by "our range is only open to members anyways". I said "huh, that's funny because I've been up here a dozen times only for the range" and he replied "you have to pay for a green fee to be allowed to use the range". On top of all that, they do a good job of requiring people to wear mask in the clubhouse, but apparently he was exempt from the rules behind the counter. Almost went back inside to ask for his name but decided not to.

I haven't been back to GCoH since - unfortunate because it's my favorite course in Houston along with Memorial Park.

I know exactly who you are talking about in the pro shop. I’ve never had a good experience with that person. 

• Like 1

Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

6 minutes ago, SC-TX 88 said:

I know exactly who you are talking about in the pro shop. I’ve never had a good experience with that person. 

I would have been fine with "the range is closed today, sorry" but the tone that I received, argumentative, was pretty classless. Also when I've made plenty of trips up there on the weekends and after work JUST for the range and SG area, is laughable. It used to be my first look for a round on the weekends, but I am unsure when I'll be back out there again. Shame...

10 minutes ago, Lefty_89 said:

I would have been fine with "the range is closed today, sorry" but the tone that I received, argumentative, was pretty classless. Also when I've made plenty of trips up there on the weekends and after work JUST for the range and SG area, is laughable. It used to be my first look for a round on the weekends, but I am unsure when I'll be back out there again. Shame...

I've pretty much stopped going up there entirely too. 

There's always something off. Pace of play, practice facilities closed, etc. 

I also hated when they did the mandatory forecaddie on weekend mornings - I think they finally stopped that due to covid. But I don't really need a forecaddie for my casual sunday round and they were never very good anyways. Just another expense for an already expensive course. 

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue, AD-TP 6S
Callaway Epic Flash 3W        
Titleist U500, Tensei White 90 S
Miura Y Grind, Nippon Modus3 120S
Vokey SM7 52, 56 Callaway PM 60
Artisan 0217, Customer #62

39 minutes ago, ND2005 said:

I've pretty much stopped going up there entirely too. 

There's always something off. Pace of play, practice facilities closed, etc. 

I also hated when they did the mandatory forecaddie on weekend mornings - I think they finally stopped that due to covid. But I don't really need a forecaddie for my casual sunday round and they were never very good anyways. Just another expense for an already expensive course. 

So a couple of months ago...I had a 11:30am tee time and by the time my group hit 4 teebox, the par 5, it was almost 1:00pm. The group in front of us had all of 5 open; standing on 4 green, I watched one of the guys from the blues on 5, top his drive into the lake, drop, and then bring out his rangefinder from what, 340 out? Truly the slowest group I have seen in several years.

I called the pro shop and asked for them to send a marshal out - why they don't have marshals on the weekends, I don't understand. They sent a guy from the pro shop who drove past the slow group, up to me and I asked "how many holes are open ahead of them?" he said "oh, a good 3 holes are wide open". I then asked "so could you please tell them to hurry up?" and he replied "oh ok, that's the slow group?"

Seriously?? Come on buddy.

Edited by Lefty_89
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...