2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

What’s better for a upper mid handicap

Carter smith

Personally, I'd stay away from RSI irons, or any irons with face slots. I had a set of M1 irons which were fantastic but the face slots eventually gave in. The problem was that it was very hard to see when they'd caved in, but you could feel it when you struck the ball. The ball would go nowhere and it sounded awful. Seeing as the RSI's are a few years old now, I'd steer well clear.

Let's talk RSi and Callaway.

Just prior to RSi, TM came out with SLDR irons and woods. I tested the SLDR irons for a golf blog, and they are now in my backup bag. Really an excellent iron that TM should have pushed better.

image.png.db74a9f56d59a6a86ff4770be47944a3.pngPoint is, I hit the RSi the following season and didn't find much difference between RSi and SLDR. Both RSi models and SLDR had different head designs for short and longer irons. 3i-7i had ThruSlot technology, basically a polymer-filled slot through the bottom of the club which helped with launch. 8i-AW had a more traditional solid-sole cavity back head.

The two also had face slots on the toe and heel area which supposedly salvaged serious mishits. Sorry, but if you impact wide of the grooves, it won't be pretty.

A couple of online reviews of RSi1 and RSi2 showed tests between the two for mid-HDCP golfers. Differences in distance and backspin were negilgible.

The RSi2 had more robust stock shafts than the RSi1. RSi2 had KBS Tour 105, RSi1 had REAX 90.

I would say that either RSi 1 or 2r would be a decent iron set. If possible, try before you buy. The RSi2 has a smaller clubhead and would come out of rough better, while the RSi1 would be more forgiving.

==================

image.png.98aa2542a22f921e88000ab6dc50feb4.pngAs for the Callaway, the revived Steelhead XRs are one of my favorite sets of irons I didn't buy. Both the Steelhead XR and Steelhead XR Pro really hit the crease: easy to hit, but launch well from any lie and have good distance separation between irons.

They represent a revival of the X14 Steelheads, upgraded among other things with the 360 Cupface head.

Cosmetic drawback on the Steelhead XR Pros: the dark gray finish tends to rub off after a season.

Both came with excellent stock stepless steel shafts, the XP95-ST15 in the base XR and the XP105-ST15  in the XR Pro.

===================

Final verdict: I personally liked the Steelhead XRs better than the RSi brothers. Either Steelhead or RSi, however, would be a solid iron for sometimes-breaks-90 golfer.

Hit first if you can, and shafts will make a difference in feel. 

Edited by ChipNRun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

On 11/20/2020 at 6:33 AM, Carter smith said:

Looking into rsi 1 and rsi 2, cobra king f6/7, and the callaway xr/steelhead

What is the softest feeling with the best dispersion while being forgiving enough to enjoy golf and have Mishits?

What about Titleist AP1?

IME, they'd fit everything you list. 

• Like 1

Played the RSI 1 irons for a few seasons. Can't say enough good things about them, really very easy to hit and very forgiving on mishits. Upgraded this year simply because I'm in to buying new things and chasing shiny objects

If this is inappropriate I'll take my lashings, but I'm actually about to put them up for sale. PM me if you're interested. Again, Golf WRX powers that be, forgive me if I'm not permitted to offer something up for sale on a thread. Not being facetious, just not sure if that's against the rules or not

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cn34 said:

Played the RSI 1 irons for a few seasons. Can't say enough good things about them, really very easy to hit and very forgiving on mishits. Upgraded this year simply because I'm in to buying new things and chasing shiny objects

If this is inappropriate I'll take my lashings, but I'm actually about to put them up for sale. PM me if you're interested. Again, Golf WRX powers that be, forgive me if I'm not permitted to offer something up for sale on a thread. Not being facetious, just not sure if that's against the rules or not

Have you ever hit the rsi 2?

11 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

Let's talk RSi and Callaway.

Just prior to RSi, TM came out with SLDR irons and woods. I tested the SLDR irons for a golf blog, and they are now in my backup bag. Really an excellent iron that TM should have pushed better.

image.png.db74a9f56d59a6a86ff4770be47944a3.pngPoint is, I hit the RSi the following season and didn't find much difference between RSi and SLDR. Both RSi models and SLDR had different head designs for short and longer irons. 3i-7i had ThruSlot technology, basically a polymer-filled slot through the bottom of the club which helped with launch. 8i-AW had a more traditional solid-sole cavity back head.

The two also had face slots on the toe and heel area which supposedly salvaged serious mishits. Sorry, but if you impact wide of the grooves, it won't be pretty.

A couple of online reviews of RSi1 and RSi2 showed tests between the two for mid-HDCP golfers. Differences in distance and backspin were negilgible.

The RSi2 had more robust stock shafts than the RSi1. RSi2 had KBS Tour 105, RSi1 had REAX 90.

I would say that either RSi 1 or 2r would be a decent iron set. If possible, try before you buy. The RSi2 has a smaller clubhead and would come out of rough better, while the RSi1 would be more forgiving.

==================

image.png.98aa2542a22f921e88000ab6dc50feb4.pngAs for the Callaway, the revived Steelhead XRs are one of my favorite sets of irons I didn't buy. Both the Steelhead XR and Steelhead XR Pro really hit the crease: easy to hit, but launch well from any lie and have good distance separation between irons.

They represent a revival of the X14 Steelheads, upgraded among other things with the 360 Cupface head.

Cosmetic drawback on the Steelhead XR Pros: the dark gray finish tends to rub off after a season.

Both came with excellent stock stepless steel shafts, the XP95-ST15 in the base XR and the XP105-ST15  in the XR Pro.

===================

Final verdict: I personally liked the Steelhead XRs better than the RSi brothers. Either Steelhead or RSi, however, would be a solid iron for sometimes-breaks-90 golfer.

Hit first if you can, and shafts will make a difference in feel. 

I will look into trying to hit both! If you have anymore suggestions I would love to hear! Thanks for the insight!

20 hours ago, Tim Sherwood said:

Personally, I'd stay away from RSI irons, or any irons with face slots. I had a set of M1 irons which were fantastic but the face slots eventually gave in. The problem was that it was very hard to see when they'd caved in, but you could feel it when you struck the ball. The ball would go nowhere and it sounded awful. Seeing as the RSI's are a few years old now, I'd steer well clear.

What would you recommend so I don’t break the bank but still can improve my handicap and have fun? Open to anything! Bridgestone is a option I have hit and really liked actually the j15 cast.

11 hours ago, Carter smith said:

What would you recommend so I don’t break the bank but still can improve my handicap and have fun?

I don't want to sound like I've had too much of the Titleist Koolaide, but I suggest again you look at the AP1 line for both these criteria as well.

Since the new T series irons are out, the 718 AP1 series can be picked up for a good price, new and or pre loved. You could even find a good set of 716 AP1.

Now, as for improvement, IME, I was 15+yrs ago barely breaking 100 (reasonable track, slope 140, DSR 72, par 72). I was playing TaylorMade RAC OS irons back then.

About 3 1/2 years ago I got back into golf and got a fitting. Ended up with 716 AP1. Was still shooting mid to high 90s on reasonable tough track (slope 148,  DSR 74, par 72), but ended up shooting PB of 86 OTS a couple of times including an even par back 9. (Was actually 2 under standing on the 18th tee and proceeded to double bogey the last with a tee shot OOB)

The AP1 will fit your needs; Budget, forgiveness, playability, room for improvement potential and still fun factor! 

I picked up a used set of F9 irons that still had plastic on some of the irons. They are the most accurate irons I know of, and I have played a bunch. I have recently mixed in the G700 5-7 iron to help out with distance, getting older and need the help. This combination is very good. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

The Cobra F7 is very forgiving, allows for good shotmaking in the short irons and can be bought very cheaply.  An excellent choice for the mid capper. Of the TM offerings the RSi1 would be the better choice IF you can find a set with the C-Taper 105 shaft. Stay away from the Reax shaft.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

My buddy, who started playing a year before me, plays the Steelhead XR with XP95 shafts. He absolutely flushes them. Regular scores in the mid 80‘s in his fourth season, while I’m rarely breaking 90 with player’s irons. Not to start this debate, but it is obvious how much easier it is to hit the Steelheads- has me thinking. 
They fly high and straight, even on mediocre swings. Remarkable. 

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime