Do you think arm lock putters will get banned?

Do you think arm lock putters will get banned in the next 10 years?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Ban?

• Yes, but I don't want them to
    • Yes, and I want them to
    • No, and I don't want them to
    • No, but I do want them to

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My back dislikes this comment. 

If we follow that logic then I can still use a belly putter because my stomach moves a ton when I walk.

It's a total joke that they banned anchoring but not arm lock anchoring.  You favored certain players   As we all said a million times over, if putters off the chin or sternum or belly were

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, Wesquire said:

Curious what you think about it

If we're gonna start banning different techniques or swings, I'd rather ban Matt Wolff's sword wielding while hip-hop dancing ugly a** swing 🤣🤣 

So no, I see nothing wrong with locking one's arms while putting. 
Even though it looks ridiculous, it's still a pendulum swing.  I don't understand all the fuss about it. 

Edited by swagee
  • Like 1

It’s not an advantage. It helps some. 

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

If it was truly an advantage then everyone would be doing it but there are what half a dozen guys on tour using it? Just seems like when they win people make a big deal about the arm lock and how it's "cheating". 

• Like 3

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

I voted yes and I want them to. I don’t agree with the current anchoring ban, but arm lock is anchoring to your forearm. So for me you either allow long putters back or ban this too.

I had no issue with people using long putters, it wasn’t that great as everyone wasn’t doing it. I never even saw a long putter outside of the tour.

• Like 4

Taylormade M5 Evenflow Blue
Ping G 17.5
Taylormade Rescue Dual 22°
Ping G410 4-UW
Vokey SM7 56°/14° and 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron T22 Newport
Titleist Pro V1x

[i]Remember, there's no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

Remember they banned the Golf Pride Grip Rite putter grip for no good reason. After it had been used for forty years.

Driver Titleist 913 10.5 Diamana Whiteboard 63 stiff

4 Wood Titleist 913 16..25 Diamana Whiteboard 73 stiff

7 Wood Titleist 913 21 Diamana Whiteboard 83 stiff

Irons 4-PW Titleist 716 T-MB KBS C-Taper Lite stiff

Gap wedge Titleist SM6 50 Dynamic Gold 115

Sand wedge Titleist Vokey TVD 54 K grind Dynamic Gold 115

Lob wedge Titleist Vokey TVD 58 K grind Dynamic Gold 115

Putter Scotty Cameron Red X3

32 minutes ago, philly2kuk said:

I voted yes and I want them to. I don’t agree with the current anchoring ban, but arm lock is anchoring to your forearm. So for me you either allow long putters back or ban this too.

I had no issue with people using long putters, it wasn’t that great as everyone wasn’t doing it. I never even saw a long putter outside of the tour.

I always thought the basis for allowing armlock type methods of putting was logical. The current rule allows you to anchor the putter to a part of your body that moves as part of the stroke (i.e. the forearm) but does not allow you to anchor to a stationary point (i.e. the torso/stomach).

I think this line of distinction makes sense for what the governing bodies were attempting to do with the rule.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, philly2kuk said:

Long putters were never banned, mate. Scott was using a long putter in the Masters. 

Cheers

• Like 1
1 hour ago, capking said:

I think they should cap the putter length, your putter should be you shortest club in your bag.

I disagree that it should be the shortest... just capped at 48 inches like everything else.

• Like 2

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7 

1 hour ago, philly2kuk said:

It is not “anchored” to the forearm though, is it? What exactly, in your opinion, anchors it ?  It is the same stroke as Phil Mickelson uses....large forward press and kept there through the stroke. The forward press is all that holds the grip to the forearm. So it is not anchored. 
It is a reminder to the user to maintain the forward press.

And no, I am not an anchor putter.

WITB
Tools for the job!

2 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

But it literally isn't anchored to your forearm. They are fundamentally very different. 

• Like 1

E133435F-7319-46E4-AB00-3B43806EC9A6.jpegLooks like they clearly addressed it within the rules.

Edited by Cwing

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5”
TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s
Callaway Apex CF19  5-A w/KBS $-Taper 120
Cleveland RTX 54*
Cleveland RTX 58*
Seemore si5, si3 and Directed Force 2.0
Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

The anchoring ban was a mistake by the USGA; an attempt to ban the arm lock style would be another. 

I was a HS basketball coach for 40 years, and had to attend a seminar every year on rules changes.  The guiding principles used by MOST rule making bodies in sports are to try to reduce judgement calls where possible, and to treat like situations alike where possible.

The USGA, of course, completely ignored both of those with the anchoring ban.   It's the only rule that I can think of in golf that tells you how you can (or cannot) hold the golf club, AND all you have to do is watch Langer or Scott or McCarron to see the difficulty with enforcement; it is the ultimate judgement call in that there is simply nothing to be done except to take their word for it when they say they aren't anchoring.  I don't know of anything else like that in ANY sport.

An arm lock rule would be difficult to write, and probably impossible to enforce, in addition to being wrong-headed to begin with.  That doesn't mean the USGA won't try it; it's a bunch of guys who don't know what they don't know.  But it would be a mess, and hopefully they learned from the anchoring ban that it isn't a road they should go down.

• Like 4
On 11/20/2020 at 1:55 AM, dlygrisse said:

Hold the club in your hands only.

And make it mandatory to use your wrists, none of this "stiff arm" nonsense.

Ping G400 SFT Driver @ 12 degrees

Ping G410 3-wood @ 16 degrees

Ping G410 7-wood @ 22 degrees

Ping G410 5-hybrid @ 26 degrees

Ping G410 7, 8 and 9 irons

Ping G410 Glide 3.0 wedges, 46, 52 and 58 degrees

Ping SIgma G Craz-E

Cleveland Smart Sole C chipper

Titleist 712U 2-iron (never used, just kept in the bag to confuse/intimidate people)

3 hours ago, Guy In Lyon said:

And make it mandatory to use your wrists, none of this "stiff arm" nonsense.

I know you re being sarcastic , but in reality it might actually help some people to do exactly that. Stiff arms create tension, which is the real culprit here. In golf doing the opposite of what seems logical is often the best remedy. 

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

5 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

In golf doing the opposite of what seems logical is often the best remedy. 

So should I face away from the hole when teeing off?

• Haha 1

Ping G400 SFT Driver @ 12 degrees

Ping G410 3-wood @ 16 degrees

Ping G410 7-wood @ 22 degrees

Ping G410 5-hybrid @ 26 degrees

Ping G410 7, 8 and 9 irons

Ping G410 Glide 3.0 wedges, 46, 52 and 58 degrees

Ping SIgma G Craz-E

Cleveland Smart Sole C chipper

Titleist 712U 2-iron (never used, just kept in the bag to confuse/intimidate people)

On 11/19/2020 at 6:02 PM, Wesquire said:

But it literally isn't anchored to your forearm. They are fundamentally very different. 

Makes me wonder if those opposed would feel the same way if it was called something else. It is not locked against anything so I am not sure why the name “armlock” putting ever caught on.
I guess because “armlock” was a catchier phrase than “extreme forward press long putter”.  😏 

WITB
Tools for the job!

3 hours ago, Guy In Lyon said:

So should I face away from the hole when teeing off?

That was a quote from Ben Hogan. But what do I know. 

• Like 1

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

On 11/19/2020 at 1:02 PM, MattM97 said:

If it was truly an advantage then everyone would be doing it but there are what half a dozen guys on tour using it? Just seems like when they win people make a big deal about the arm lock and how it's "cheating". 

Wait was everyone anchoring when it got banned? Personally I feel like arm lock is just another form of anchoring but instead of the belly or the sternum you’re using you forearm 

Edited by The_Derz

Driver: 

3W: Nike VR Pro LE (15) - Aldila Rogue Black 70X

Irons: Taylormade GAPR Lo (3) / Nike VR Pro Combo (4-PW) - DG X100

Wedges: Vokey SM7 52.8, 56.10, 60.04 - DG S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2