2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Edel: are you still playing yours?

Are you still gaming your Edel?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. If you went through an Edel fitting, is it your gamer?

• Yes. Haven’t changed
    • No. Moved on
    • Got fit, didn’t buy one.

This poll is closed to new votes

I’ve had numerous people tell me how great their Edel fitting was, but all of them are now gaming something different... 

im not sure if that’s because the type of people who go get fit fit Edel just like putter shopping or if the fitting is just that much better than the club... so if you’ve been fit, answer below! 

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I've moved on from mine for now, like I aim it really well but I'm lacking some feel with it at the moment but I think that is more to due with the insane amount of weight in the handle. I have a grip to swap out that will drop 50g or so from the handle which should clean up my stroke based on my fitting but I haven't been in a rush to do that. I've just been trying and buying other putters and putting quite well, this winter I'll get it swapped, try it again and see. If the feel is still off/dead to me then I'll just give up on it or keep it in my backup bag and play it for fun. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

16 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

I've moved on from mine for now, like I aim it really well but I'm lacking some feel with it at the moment but I think that is more to due with the insane amount of weight in the handle. I have a grip to swap out that will drop 50g or so from the handle which should clean up my stroke based on my fitting but I haven't been in a rush to do that. I've just been trying and buying other putters and putting quite well, this winter I'll get it swapped, try it again and see. If the feel is still off/dead to me then I'll just give up on it or keep it in my backup bag and play it for fun. 

I've owned 2 putters in the past 20 years (2 ball dark force, odyssey tank #7), so I'm not much of a putter guy. It just amazes me how many people I've talked to love their Edel (And the fitting process) but don't game it anymore.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Just now, Myherobobhope said:

I've owned 2 putters in the past 20 years (2 ball dark force, odyssey tank #7), so I'm not much of a putter guy. It just amazes me how many people I've talked to love their Edel (And the fitting process) but don't game it anymore.

For me it's the feel that kinda lacking to me if not struck well but that is more to do with my setup than the putter itself. But I know how well I aim it so I'm not quite ready to give up on it just yet but I'm putting well with other putters so who knows if it will come back into play.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

I had an edel e-1 for a summer 2 years ago. I had a love/hate relationship with it. 

My aim was great and would tend to hit my lines well. However I made a mistake with my sight lines I put on it. I had the single top and single flange line. I would fight myself over the ball at address to line them up perfectly. While it helped get me better set up, it would always be my main thought. It was a sweet putter and have considered getting one with just the single flange line. I had the forward offset on it too which I much prefer red to the zero offset I tried. 

• Like 1

I had an Edel fitting and was quite disappointed. Being a lefty, my fitter did not have all the correct left-handed parts in his Edel fitting cart to properly build me a putter during the fitting.

The main part of the fitting, the aiming portion, gave me no confidence in the results. I really do not understand why Edel does not incorporate other tech into their fitting process like Sam Puttlab or Quintic. 

Without having any quantifiable results, you pretty much have to trust what your Edel fitter is seeing in your stroke and their recommendations. That was my main reason for not purchasing one after my fitting. 

28 minutes ago, LeftyTwoGuns said:

I had an Edel fitting and was quite disappointed. Being a lefty, my fitter did not have all the correct left-handed parts in his Edel fitting cart to properly build me a putter during the fitting.

The main part of the fitting, the aiming portion, gave me no confidence in the results. I really do not understand why Edel does not incorporate other tech into their fitting process like Sam Puttlab or Quintic. 

Without having any quantifiable results, you pretty much have to trust what your Edel fitter is seeing in your stroke and their recommendations. That was my main reason for not purchasing one after my fitting. 

Interesting! You are the first person I've spoken with who had a negative experience with their fitting. That's too bad... I really like the guy who fit me (but I liked him before the fitting)... 

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

4 minutes ago, coco888 said:

wedges look good but im sure very expensive...

$180 for a hand ground wedge isn't actually that bad... I'm shocked. 

Wedges are one place where I'm torn on spending money... I have a ton of wedge shots in a round, so it makes sense to get something that works for me... but I also replace wedges more than anything else... $600 on three wedges every 2 years is a leap for me.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Just now, coco888 said:

oh, thats good to know! 

i just dont see myself customizing bounce and lofts, grinds etc..

vokey's off rack should accomodate most of us

but, custom is custom right! , i get it haha

I mean, titliest has a custom option... I think it makes sense to plan out your bounce and grinds on your wedges, but as you say, you can do it off the rack with most of the big OEMs... honestly, I think that's going to be the big challenge for DTC guys to compete (though I'm waiting to see what Sub70 releases, as I love them)

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

3 hours ago, LeftyTwoGuns said:

That is the weird part about Edel how everyone is so focused on Quintic and SAM numbers that the Edel method is so weird. But when you look at it David says if you have the aim down and speed down you'll make putts, just need to know how to read greens which is true in a way. But I took my Edel in when I did a putter fitting and tested on Quintic I was aiming it really well but the roll on the ball was off but that was due to the setup I had but fitter said it can be fixed taking some weight from the handle. So in a way the Edel method works, and some fitters may use both to get very good results, I would. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

I've done two Edel fittings.  One for just the putter and then another putter fitting and a wedge fitting.  Wedges were really good but I couldn't get over the looks.  Same with the putters.  Feel, look, performance of their putters wasn't for me.  I was also fit at Artisan and bought a putter from them that was much better.  Fitting was completely different and well worth the money spent.  

I have been fit with the Edel system three times, the first was in 1996 when he made putters for Henry Griffitts.  I have three of them.  They make it into the bag periodically.  I know what my aim tendencies are now.  At the present time, I am loving my LAB Golf Blad B2.

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

I’ve been gaming an Edel for 4+ years now and have never considered switching.

I’ve had my natural ups and downs with my putting stroke — aka it used to be completely busted and now it’s almost halfway decent — but I love everything about the putter itself.

Not sure if this is standard procedure for Edel fittings but I’m a big fan of the weighted handle. Helps me not be so handsy and keep a consistent, smooth stroke.

I would not put much faith in the quality of a putter based on others long term usage.  You'll have no idea if someone else bought it on a whim, was not a consistent putter during fitting, just enjoys trying new equipment, etc.  

I think they have something that may be worth checking out.  If it works for you - great.  If something else works better in the future...great!  I don't now of any other fitter who can change hosel configurations during fittings so easily...would love to see other Mfgs be able to do this.

I got fitted and bought an E-1 a month or 2 ago.  But I was very well in bed with the same head shape and similar backweighting of my previous putter - so not much of a learning curve for me.  

My results have been superb.  Better distance control, I feel like I hit the ball where I aim more often.  Preliminary putt counts show that I am on average ~3 strokes better overall per round on putting....but this is only after about 10 rounds with it.

• Like 1

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

Went through an Edel fitting at Club Champion.  Was very interesting seeing the effects of the different head shapes and alignment options on your aim.  Then the weight portion of the fitting (which took place on the very smooth/fast carpet in the hitting bay rather than on their putting green) seemed to have no bearing on reality unless you played on extremely fast greens.  I liked the look of the putter and I felt that I could aim it very well, but with all the back weighting, I couldn't control speed at all.  I went back (free of charge) to the CC and had them adjust the weights twice with still no good results.  I think that I actually ended up with the heaviest head weight and the lightest grip weight they had, but it still made no difference for me.  Eventually, I lost all confidence in the putter and it was sold.  Overall, I think it's a good process, but could be better and I'm sure their products work for  the right folks, but just not for me.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kbstockt1 said:

Went through an Edel fitting at Club Champion.  Was very interesting seeing the effects of the different head shapes and alignment options on your aim.  Then the weight portion of the fitting (which took place on the very smooth/fast carpet in the hitting bay rather than on their putting green) seemed to have no bearing on reality unless you played on extremely fast greens.  I liked the look of the putter and I felt that I could aim it very well, but with all the back weighting, I couldn't control speed at all.  I went back (free of charge) to the CC and had them adjust the weights twice with still no good results.  I think that I actually ended up with the heaviest head weight and the lightest grip weight they had, but it still made no difference for me.  Eventually, I lost all confidence in the putter and it was sold.  Overall, I think it's a good process, but could be better and I'm sure their products work for  the right folks, but just not for me.  

Yeah I'm having trouble with the speed control as well. David did mention that a lot of fitters do fit on a green that is way too fast for conditions that most people play on. I redid a fitting in a hitting bay vs putting green as it was slower and more appreciate to an actual green. 

But the fitting itself was definitely an eye opener and I think everyone should do it as it can really show what works for you. I got put into the E-3 which is their blade and well I do aim/play better with blades vs a mallet with a round back. So while the putter may not be the best for me it has helped me narrow down what head shape and offset I should use which is huge honestly. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

2 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Yeah I'm having trouble with the speed control as well. David did mention that a lot of fitters do fit on a green that is way too fast for conditions that most people play on. I redid a fitting in a hitting bay vs putting green as it was slower and more appreciate to an actual green. 

But the fitting itself was definitely an eye opener and I think everyone should do it as it can really show what works for you. I got put into the E-3 which is their blade and well I do aim/play better with blades vs a mallet with a round back. So while the putter may not be the best for me it has helped me narrow down what head shape and offset I should use which is huge honestly. 

I think you touched on a key concept...many people simply bounce around too much or are not so aware of what works best for them or what they prefer. 

If you have not already gone thru the pain of trying different head shapes, hosel configurations, weightings - then the Edel fitting (or any putter fitting) may only be marginally beneficial (but beneficial nonetheless). 

If you have already spent years narrowing your preferences - trying different weight, configs, inserts vs non inserts and really feeling like you are near a great config for you...then I think a putter fitting like Edel's can really dial it all in.

• Like 1

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

Just now, bjh1 said:

I'm intrigued with the "torque balanced" toe-up design.  For anyone that's used one, does it feel any different or release differently with all that weight removed from the toe?

My issue with that is just the feel at impact can be a bit off/lacking because of the lack of weight in the toe. Unless you constantly hit the center strike can feel dead, but that also depends on the version and model. I think the newer ones remedy that better than the E1 to E3 versions. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

• 4 weeks later...

I think most golfers change putters quite regularly because putting is a challenge for them. I’ve still got my Edel and I have used other putters and then went back to it. The fit is accurate and it works well. Mine is not torque balanced, just one of their wide blades. I like the look of the EAS putters out now. The toe up design is very easy to keep on your line. It doesn’t wobble. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Moved on quickly from it - solid from inside 10ft, but it killed my putting from distance. Couldn’t roll it consistently from 20ft+, which with my accuracy was a lot of putts. 
On a side note, the hollow toe area drove me nuts when it came to tapping down repaired pitch marks.

I went through the Edel fitting process and enjoyed it. Tendencies in aim and how site lines impacted my putting surprised me. Got the weight right. And my Edel putter is still in the bag and has been for several years. I’m not considering a change other than sniffing around the edges of a Stability shaft. It is the best putter I’ve had, and I came from SC when I had the fitting done. Everyone is different, but for me it works very nicely. 

Edited by SBH9458
  • Like 2

On 1/15/2021 at 1:48 AM, PedronNiall said:

I use their grip as it fits my hands well and lets me keep it relaxed. Never went full on to one of their putters because I like the softer feel of certain inserts, but their grips are superb and the adjustments I got on weighting and total length from their process were excellent.

Nice. I ended up doing a seemore fitting yesterday and bought one of their putters... pretty excited.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

• 2 weeks later...

When I was fitted about 4 years ago, I had very poor putting set-up and mechanics.  I stood too far from the ball, my grip put my forearms way out of alignment, and I decelerated on everything.  As a result, my Edel's lie angle was weirdly flat and the loft was near zero because I tended to hit up on the ball.  God, I sucked at putting.  Three footers were a horror show for me. The Edel was powerless to overcome my hideous technique.  I wish the fitter had told me to go get a lesson and then come back!  I fixed my technique issues over a period of time and went with a basic 2-ball.  After a lot of work (which continues) my putting is now quite solid.  Just a reminder to consider taking a lesson or two to get some feedback before getting fit by Edel (or anyone else). 

• 3 weeks later...