Jump to content

Wedge setup question for low/plus handicaps


Recommended Posts

I have been messing around with several lob degree and feel its always compromise.  I have been using Mizuno T20 52,56 both with 10 degrees of bounce which work great on full and partial wedges.  They also work well for green side chips.  With the lob wedge a full sole is great off thicker rough, but not great on higher soft landing chips and not great off compact sand.  The low bounce lob wedge is great off compact sand and tighter lies but not great for longer pitches or softer conditions.  I don't want to switch wedges out constantly but feel like a higher bounce sw and lower bounce lw may offer more versatility.  I play many partial shots and prefer than to full swings with any wedge.

 

My current idea is:

Mizuno MP 20 MB PW

Vokey SM8 54S (I love the 10 degree bounce and ability to chip and pitch with square face)

Vokey SM8 58D (great for softer sand, damp conditions, and thicker rough)

Cleveland Zipcore 62 Low, bent to 63.5 (for compact bunkers, high lofted chips and pitches)

 

Any thoughts on this?  I'm very adept at taking yardage off a PW and can hit down to 115 yards comfortably which is where the 54 full will give me.

Edited by odshot68

Cobra Speedzone 9 deg Rogue Silver 110 60X Driver

TM SIM 2.0 Fairway ???

Callaway XR Pro 18 deg VTS Silver 85X Hybrid

Srixon ZX U 20 deg ???

Mizuno MP 20 MB 5-PW TI DG S400 Irons

Vokey SM8 Raw 54S and 58D TI DG S400 Wedges ON ORDER

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Satin 62 (AT 64) TI DG Spinner Wedge 

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock Putter LAGOLF Shaft Putter

Vessel 2.0 White

Srixon Z-Star Pure White

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since you asked ....   I’ll give me personal opinion.  I play pw 53 59.  Why ?  I’m like you.  I can easily pull down my pw from 140 to 110ish. In fact after many many attempts at using a ga

I play SM8's, 50.12, 54.12 and 60.08.  I personally like a high bounce SW and a low/mid bounce LW.  I can hit the SW off of any lie l but it's particularly good out in soft conditions (sand or turf) a

I play 45, 50, 56, 62.  They are all the same length shafts, obviously pulled some weight out of the higher lofted heads.     My 62 is a cleveland RTX-4 low.  It has the V sole on it so if I

I play 45, 50, 56, 62.  They are all the same length shafts, obviously pulled some weight out of the higher lofted heads.  

 

My 62 is a cleveland RTX-4 low.  It has the V sole on it so if I open it up it adds bounce.  I had a 60 XLOW and it wasn't quite what I wanted even when I bent it to 62 when I decided to change my wedge setup.

 

My 50 and 56 both have V sole as well and the V sole is seriously versatile and makes playing different types of shots I might need much easier.

  • Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G410 LST on HZRDOUS Yellow
  • 4 Wood - Titleist TS2 turned down 1 on UST Mamaiya Black
  • 7 Wood - Callaway Epic Flash turned down 1 on UST Mamiya Black
  • Hybrid - ************* Member Tester TE Exotics Pro 17* on Tensei AV silver ****************
  • Others - SUB70 699 Pro Utility 4 on UST Recoil 110 and Ping G410 4 iron on Recoil 110 - Testing
  • Irons - Sub 70 639CB and 699 pro testing
  • Irons - Ping i210 testing
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50 and 56 CBX2 and RTX4 @ 62 on UST Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66
  • Ball - Srixon Z Star XV
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not tried the SM8 so it may be different, but I have had a few versions of the S. As good as it was around the greens, bunker shots, rough etc it was terrible for approach shots. Everything missed right, a friend had the same issue. 
 

I went M grind for 54 & 60. If I need a bit more bounce then I just lean the handle back a bit on the 54. The 60 is great from tight lies and wet sand. 

Taylormade M3 9.5 - Aldila Rogue Silver 60X
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
Titleist 816 H2 20 degrees - Aldila Rogue Black 85X
Titleist 716CB 4-9 - X100
Vokey SM7 46.10, 50.08, 54M, 59M - S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Titleist Pro V1

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, odshot68 said:

I have been messing around with several lob degree and feel its always compromise.  I have been using Mizuno T20 52,56 both with 10 degrees of bounce which work great on full and partial wedges.  They also work well for green side chips.  With the lob wedge a full sole is great off thicker rough, but not great on higher soft landing chips and not great off compact sand.  The low bounce lob wedge is great off compact sand and tighter lies but not great for longer pitches or softer conditions.  I don't want to switch wedges out constantly but feel like a higher bounce sw and lower bounce lw may offer more versatility.  I play many partial shots and prefer than to full swings with any wedge.

 

My current idea is:

Mizuno MP 20 MB PW

Vokey SM8 54S (I love the 10 degree bounce and ability to chip and pitch with square face)

Vokey SM8 58D (great for softer sand, damp conditions, and thicker rough)

Cleveland Zipcore 62 Low, bent to 63.5 (for compact bunkers, high lofted chips and pitches)

 

Any thoughts on this?  I'm very adept at taking yardage off a PW and can hit down to 115 yards comfortably which is where the 54 full will give me.

Since you asked ....

 

I’ll give me personal opinion.  I play pw 53 59.  Why ?  I’m like you.  I can easily pull down my pw from 140 to 110ish. In fact after many many attempts at using a gap wedge I prefer the pw so much I’ll never carry another gap.  The 53 allows for a full 120 shot or more importantly an easy 100 yard knockdown.   The 59 is an all out 105 with a draw and a measured 75 and 50 yard shot THats auto.  
 

now a 54 -60 will also do.  The trick I think is to have the sand wedge spot be a versatile grind like a vokey M.  Low bounce but enough when opened up to use great on bunkers.  The 59 for me is a full sole but medium bounce grind.  I have two. One from artisan and one is a conforming 300 series vokey copper.  That’s the best overalll lobwedge I’ve ever used.  Low bounce lob wedges aRe one trick ponies.  No good.  But too much bounce and a high leading edge is also useless.  

  • Like 3

 

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red 6x 

TM RBZ 14* Addi 8x 

Ping g410 17.5* synergy blue 70TX 

Miura MC-501 3-Pw modus 130x 

Artisan 53 59 modus 130s 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I play SM8's, 50.12, 54.12 and 60.08.  I personally like a high bounce SW and a low/mid bounce LW.  I can hit the SW off of any lie l but it's particularly good out in soft conditions (sand or turf) and it's great out of thick rough.  Not only does it get through the rough easily, the lower loft give me a little margin for error when I catch the ball a little higher on the face which is easy to do playing out of thick rough.  When you get up into the LW lofts, those shots high on the face lose a lot of distance.  With the lower bounce LW, you can comfortable loft the ball off of tight lies with less risk of thin contact.  If you like a LW out of a bunker and have medium to soft sand, I'd look at a wedge with low bounce but a wide sole without a lot of relief.  That gives you the ability to play from tight lies with a square face while giving the ability to expose a lot of bounce by opening the face as you would for a typical bunker shot.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I play a very similar set up. The course I play at is going through bunker renovations so some are light and fluffy while others are hard and compacted. I find myself struggling trying to make one wedge work out of both. 
 

I play MP20 MB PW, MD5 50-12w, MD5 54-12x @ 55-13, MD5 60-8w and then RTX4 62-6.

 

The 60 and 62 play quite different given the grinds. The “low bounce” W grind on the MD5 plays like it has more bounce but is a bit better off of tighter lies than the full W or X grind. The 62 plays like a true 6

  • Like 1

Ping G410 LST 9* / Fujikura Ventus Black 7x

TaylorMade SIM 19* / Fujikura Ventus Black 8x

TaylorMade SIM UDI 2 / Fujikura Ventus Black 10tx

Titleist T100s 4-W / Testing

Callaway MD5 Jaws 54-12x / True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Callaway MD5 Jaws 60-8w / True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5 & Fastback 1.5

Link to post
Share on other sites

I play a 54* and 58* wedge.  The 54 is high bounce 12 degrees and the 58 is low bounce 6 degrees.  I've never found a gap wedge to be useful as I can flight my pw and hit half and 3/4 shots just fine in order to cover the gap between my pw and 54.  I find that this setup is best for me as I can work both of them on any golf course for all types of lies. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4-PW w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+

58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Newport 1

Snell MTB-X

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for replies, great info guys.  Anyone else?

Cobra Speedzone 9 deg Rogue Silver 110 60X Driver

TM SIM 2.0 Fairway ???

Callaway XR Pro 18 deg VTS Silver 85X Hybrid

Srixon ZX U 20 deg ???

Mizuno MP 20 MB 5-PW TI DG S400 Irons

Vokey SM8 Raw 54S and 58D TI DG S400 Wedges ON ORDER

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Satin 62 (AT 64) TI DG Spinner Wedge 

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock Putter LAGOLF Shaft Putter

Vessel 2.0 White

Srixon Z-Star Pure White

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great feedback!  I’ve always carried my set PW (46*) then a 52 and either a 58 or 60.  I prefer the 58 mid bounce, as well as mid bounce on the 52.  The 58 is mostly used around the green with it laid wide open for flop shots,  set it normal and it works great from anywhere from 90 yards and in. The 52 works for pitch shots and shots 100-120.

I like only having the P and 2 wedges.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I played 52/58 forever to give myself more options at the top end and never had any issues but went to 52/56/60 a year ago and fell in love with the set up. My only issue is the gap between my pw and gw. Thought about going 50/54/58 but I fell in love the 56 for everything around the greens. So I ended up getting the zip cores in 50/56/60. Fits all my distances perfectly and gives me all the flexibility I need around the green. 

Ping G410 LST Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 LST AD-DI 7x
Ping G410 20* Crossover PX EvenFlow Black 85HY 6.5
Ping iBlade 4-PW PX LZ 6.5
Glide Stealth 2.0 52/56/60 TI S400
Ping Sigma 2 Tyne Steath, Stealth shaft. PP58 Black Cord
ProV1x
Ping Hoofer Multicam

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been reading all the pros WITB this morning and I haven't seen one player with a D grind and very few use anything above a 60.  So beginning to rethink my selections.  I definitely like the idea of a high and low bounce still depending on lie and shot needed.

 

Thinking T grind 60, D grind 56, then 52/51

 

So confused at this point 🙂

Cobra Speedzone 9 deg Rogue Silver 110 60X Driver

TM SIM 2.0 Fairway ???

Callaway XR Pro 18 deg VTS Silver 85X Hybrid

Srixon ZX U 20 deg ???

Mizuno MP 20 MB 5-PW TI DG S400 Irons

Vokey SM8 Raw 54S and 58D TI DG S400 Wedges ON ORDER

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Satin 62 (AT 64) TI DG Spinner Wedge 

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock Putter LAGOLF Shaft Putter

Vessel 2.0 White

Srixon Z-Star Pure White

Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now I got 44, 49, 54, 59, 64

 

don’t let your head explode 

 

 Best wedges for me are the older TVD M grinds ... and for whatever reason the 64.07 Vokey SM2 is great greenside grind for me from traps and rough


Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x Ping G400 7w 19.5* Diamana B 80s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki 82x Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 90s

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a 50/54/58.

 

The 54 is an F with 14* and the 58 is a D with 12*.

 

I think it's a great combination given the drastically different sole designs and allows me to really hit any shot out of any condition. It's also forced me to improve my short game; meaning I can now hit similar shots with either, using slightly different technique to account for the different grinds.

 

I have considered going to more low/middle bounce options now that my new home course is quite firm, but I haven't really had any issues hitting shots, or full shots, with 14 degrees.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MPAndreassi said:

I play a very similar set up. The course I play at is going through bunker renovations so some are light and fluffy while others are hard and compacted. I find myself struggling trying to make one wedge work out of both. 
 

I play MP20 MB PW, MD5 50-12w, MD5 54-12x @ 55-13, MD5 60-8w and then RTX4 62-6.

 

The 60 and 62 play quite different given the grinds. The “low bounce” W grind on the MD5 plays like it has more bounce but is a bit better off of tighter lies than the full W or X grind. The 62 plays like a true 6

i play that 54 X grind too, my favorite strong SW

  • Like 1
Winter Setup
Cobra SZ Xtreme 10* HZDRUS Smoke Yellow 60
Titleist 917F2 15.75* Diamana 70
Titleist 816H2 20*
Ping G15 Hybrid 17*
Ping G15 5-P Ping AWT
New Level M 49*
Callaway MD5 54*X DG115
Cleveland RTX4 60* DGS400
Ping
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Played a 52* F and 58* D for few years but moving to a 54* and 58* (with a 921F Gap) and feel like I’m overthinking the low / high bounce / grind. right now I use the 58 as my main club for bunkers and around the green. 
 

For the new set thinking I want a little less bounce for my lob since I was planning to use the 54* as my main club out of the bunkers but maybe I stick with the higher bounce in my 58 and go low bounce in the 54. 


decisions decisions 

 

Callaway Epic Flash TD - Graphite Design VR Callaway Epic SZ 15* Callaway Apex 20* Bridgestone J15cb - 4-PW Vokey SM7 - 52* & 58* Spider X

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spring7 said:

i play that 54 X grind too, my favorite strong SW


I’ve played the Callaway wedges ever since they signed Roger Cleveland to help design them. This is my favorite release yet as far as grinds go. I have the 60x also, but the low bounce w is just so much more versatile from different lies

Ping G410 LST 9* / Fujikura Ventus Black 7x

TaylorMade SIM 19* / Fujikura Ventus Black 8x

TaylorMade SIM UDI 2 / Fujikura Ventus Black 10tx

Titleist T100s 4-W / Testing

Callaway MD5 Jaws 54-12x / True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Callaway MD5 Jaws 60-8w / True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5 & Fastback 1.5

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried the Tw grind that Taylormade brought out?  As a player who has been thru 5 lob wedges in the past 18 months the TW grind has been amazing and I'm not just saying that because TW designed it.  

 

I use my 60* for nearly every shot inside of 100 yards.  With the blunted leading edge I can play a low runner off my back foot and I hit a mid high spinner with a square face off my front foot.  If I lay it open there is enough heel relief that I can hit a flop shot.  My favorite shot to hit with it though is a high spinner.  I will lay it open, aim left and put some forward shaft lean into it and just hit down on the ball.  Comes out high with a ton of spin.

 

In the past I have had 60* Callaway x grind, w grind, low bounce w grind, Pm grind, Titleist low bounce k grind, d grind, k grind and even tried the L grind.  The only grind that was almost as versatile was the SM5 K grind.   At one pint I pulled the 60* and put in a Hi-toe 64*.   All of these different wedges had shots that they excelled at but also shots that I could no longer pull off.  The TW grind seems to be the best of everything, at least for me.  

 

If you can find a 60* that you can trust for a wide variety of shots, it leaves you open to find what lofts you need to fill the yardages from your pitching wedge and in.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, odshot68 said:

I have been reading all the pros WITB this morning and I haven't seen one player with a D grind and very few use anything above a 60.  So beginning to rethink my selections.  I definitely like the idea of a high and low bounce still depending on lie and shot needed.

 

Thinking T grind 60, D grind 56, then 52/51

 

So confused at this point 🙂


A D grind is just a M grind with higher bounce. The two grinds are identical other than that. You can’t trust WITB on wedge grinds because they typically just write down whatever is on the wedge.  “D” is for Aaron Dill, who works for Titleist and invented the grind for Adam Scott who requested an M grind that got through rough better.

 

wedge setup is all about how *you* approach the short game. The short game consists of three things: 

 

1. Controlling loft (do you open up like Spieth, drop the handle like Wii or use attack angle like Stricker?)

 

2. Controlling low point (lie angle and swing weight.  Sometimes tape on grip).

 

3. alignment (doesn’t really matter here).

 

54S-58D is a classic setup for a digger - a player who adds loft by steepening attack angle.

 

we need to know a lot more about your game.

 

for example, my 56* j40 is 3* flat.  I create loft by dropping the handle and moving away from the ball at address.  My 60* j40 is 4* upright so I can decrease loft by closing my stance and moving closer, I never play anything but a square face.  My 52* hits all shots until I get to the green.

 

we need to know how you create loft and control low point to help you. Without that all these posts are entertaining but it’s just people shouting at you what works for them. 
 

for example, if you open the wedge up you almost certainly want 54/56M and 58/60L.  Those grinds completely remove the heel and are designed to be laid flat.  But if you don’t open up (I don’t) then they’ll dig to China.

Edited by pinestreetgolf
  • Like 1

PXG x0811 10.5* -.5" Kuro Kage Dual Core Silver 60TX

Ping G30 3w stock regular -2" 3h 4h stock stiff

Bridgestone j40 5-LW x100

Taylormade Spider X

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pinestreetgolf said:


A D grind is just a M grind with higher bounce. The two grinds are identical other than that. You can’t trust WITB on wedge grinds because they typically just write down whatever is on the wedge.  “D” is for Aaron Dill, who works for Titleist and invented the grind for Adam Scott who requested an M grind that got through rough better.

 

wedge setup is all about how *you* approach the short game. The short game consists of three things: 

 

1. Controlling loft (do you open up like Spieth, drop the handle like Wii or use attack angle like Stricker?)

 

2. Controlling low point (lie angle and swing weight.  Sometimes tape on grip).

 

3. alignment (doesn’t really matter here).

 

54S-58D is a classic setup for a digger - a player who adds loft by steepening attack angle.

 

we need to know a lot more about your game.

 

for example, my 56* j40 is 3* flat.  I create loft by dropping the handle and moving away from the ball at address.  My 60* j40 is 4* upright so I can decrease loft by closing my stance and moving closer, I never play anything but a square face.  My 52* hits all shots until I get to the green.

 

we need to know how you create loft and control low point to help you. Without that all these posts are entertaining but it’s just people shouting at you what works for them. 
 

for example, if you open the wedge up you almost certainly want 54/56M and 58/60L.  Those grinds completely remove the heel and are designed to be laid flat.  But if you don’t open up (I don’t) then they’ll dig to China.

I definitely dig the M and L grinds.  I went to golf shop for a couple hours this morning.  I am definitely a digger.   I tried all the lofts and settled on:

Vokey SM8 Raw 54S, 58D DGS400

Cleveland 62Low bent to 64 and a couple degrees flat.  Thanks for everyones help.

Cobra Speedzone 9 deg Rogue Silver 110 60X Driver

TM SIM 2.0 Fairway ???

Callaway XR Pro 18 deg VTS Silver 85X Hybrid

Srixon ZX U 20 deg ???

Mizuno MP 20 MB 5-PW TI DG S400 Irons

Vokey SM8 Raw 54S and 58D TI DG S400 Wedges ON ORDER

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Satin 62 (AT 64) TI DG Spinner Wedge 

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock Putter LAGOLF Shaft Putter

Vessel 2.0 White

Srixon Z-Star Pure White

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2020 at 11:23 AM, odshot68 said:

 

 

My current idea is:

Mizuno MP 20 MB PW

Vokey SM8 54S (I love the 10 degree bounce and ability to chip and pitch with square face)

Vokey SM8 58D (great for softer sand, damp conditions, and thicker rough)

Cleveland Zipcore 62 Low, bent to 63.5 (for compact bunkers, high lofted chips and pitches)

 

Any thoughts on this?  I'm very adept at taking yardage off a PW and can hit down to 115 yards comfortably which is where the 54 full will give me.

 

I play Cleveland RTX  52*

                                    56*

                                    64*

 

What I like most about this set up is there is never any temptation to play a 58* or 60* (lofts which I think cause trouble when used too often). My Lob wedge is a 64* , a high enough loft that it is always very clear when it should be played. 

                                    

                                   

                         

 

Cleveland TL310 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use 45 (P), 54, 60 and have learned to hit PW less than 100% to fill space between 45 and 54.

I find I rarely 3W, so I'm dropping that and will add 50 (U) as an experiment.

 

In general I find people are too hung on wedge loft spacing.

 

Having said that, I should probably report back next season with results.  😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2020 at 7:00 PM, indianagolf2 said:

I dont think any wedge is that great persay. Guys raving about tw grind...think its in the head. How many tour guys play tw grind . Prob 1

I couldn’t care less if only one guy on tour is playing it. The grind flat out works for me.  Blunted leading edge allows me to play it back in my stance and not dig.  Plenty of bounce for full shots and bunker shots.  Enough heel relief to allow me to lay it wide open and hit a high soft shot.  
 

if vokey or roger Cleveland had designed this bounce I really believe it would be more popular than it is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...