Bandon Trip February 7-12

rouges1922

Hey everyone, new to posting on the forums, but not to browsing them so I know there’s a lot of valuable knowledge to be had. Given that it will be our first trip out, I figured I would throw a few questions out there for some advice from you Bandon vets. 
As of right now, and hopefully this doesn’t change because of covid, two buddies and myself will be flying from Michigan to Eugene on Saturday 2/6. We’re planning on driving down to Bandon that evening and staying in town. Unfortunately, when we booked back in June all lodging was already booked on site for Sunday 2/7 (staying in Lily Pond 2/8-2/12), so we cannot book any rounds for Sunday until 21 days prior, which brings me to my first question:

How likely, given that we have to wait to book, is it that we’ll be able to get out on the Preserve in the morning and then a round on any of the courses around noon or so that Sunday?

As of right now our itinerary is as follows:

2/8 - Trails 8:40AM/Bandon 1:40PM

2/9 - OldMac 8:20AM/Preserve 2PM

2/10 - Pacific 8:10AM/Bandon 1:10PM

2/11 - Sheep 10:40AM

Ideally, we would like to book Preserve and Bandon on 2/7 instead, to give us more flexibility during the week to squeeze in a couple more full rounds or to work around weather which can be unpredictable that time of year.

Which leads into my second and third questions:

Sunset is around 5:30-5:40 that time of year, do you think we’ll have enough time to finish any round starting later than 1PM? Not guaranteed to finish times, but from what I’ve read pace is kept up pretty well on property, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

Also, would it be a better idea to just not book afternoon rounds and then see what is available when we finish up our morning rounds instead?

I believe all of our morning rounds (sans Sheep) fall into the pace setter times, so they should be finishing quicker than later rounds, allowing us to get out earlier (assuming availability) in the afternoon.

We’re all in the 6-12 handicap range depending on the day, in good shape, and range in age from 23-34 year old so we’re trying to get in as much golf as possible while in Bandon.

Also, I’m an amateur photographer, so I’ll have a ton of pics to share in write ups after our visit!

80 days...

Edited by rouges1922
  • Like 2

A few words of advice from a many time Bandon guy. Book whatever you can and then upgrade and move stuff around.

You should find 45-30 days out from your trip lots of bookings open up as the no refund window closes. If you don't have the rounds you want call in regularly to see what has changed. I would be shocked if you can't get a room/rounds for 2/7. Keep in mind that, that time of year one of the courses is typically closed for play each day so you have to work around that.

1pm tee times can be pretty tight that time of year but usually work out. You may play a hole or two in the dark if you get unlucky. 

If you care about food make some dinner reservations. Shockingly the onsite restaurants get packed up well in advance, particularity if you want to eat at Pacific. As a twosome you will have better luck, but as foursomes and larger we have had trouble even that time of year.

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 2

@lazyjk yes we are on a waitlist for Sunday, hopefully we’ll be able to get lodging for that night, which would be great. Thanks for the reply.

@2bgood thanks for the advice about when people generally cancel and when might be a good time to get into the slots we want. If the itinerary stays the way it is right now, we’re okay with that, just trying to squeeze a little more in.

While not guaranteed to finish, I’ve still had good luck getting through full or nearly full rounds late in the day.  As for booking additional rounds, follow 2bgoods advice. But if it doesn’t work out, stick with your plan of staying in town and trying to walk on anywhere you can. The preserve is usually not as crowded in the AM. And being not picky on which course you play helps the odds. Worst case if nothing is available the punchbowl and the practice center are excellent ways to occupy time. Or possibly play Bandon crossings in town.

I don't think you'll have a problem booking the Preserve & 18, it was awesome when we were there, I think we only played with another group one 18 and one 9 holer.

I was there with a buddy at the same time in Feb this year (4 days, last day of golf was the 13th) we played the Preserve in the morning and played 18 early afternoon (around noon) we then played 9 more (our 3rd round,freebie) Weather was spectacular, rain only on our last day, holes 16 & 17 @O.M.

It's a great time to go, I wish I was going!!

Edited by jjr

Thanks @Edaw68 & @jjr for the advice. Glad to know what we’re planning on doing should work out. We’re hoping to play Trails on Sunday around noon (but will take whatever is available) after the Preserve in the morning. With the 5 hours required between tee time bookings it would seem to me that we should be able to slide into a tee time around 11 or 12 on that Sunday even having to wait until 21 days out to book. Thanks again!

+1 on all the advice above.  February is a crowded month, but the opening of the SR is making lodging the difficult thing, as opposed to tee times.

Your chances are decent (as a threesome) to find something available on Sunday.  If you were willing to split into single/twosome that would improve those chances.  Do book anything you can and adjust accordingly.  It may not be your first choice (e.g., that may be the day that Trails is closed for maintenance), but you'll get something, more than likely.  You'll also pay the Day Guest rate for those rounds, since you're not staying at the resort (yet).  It's not much ($35 each), but it is good to know going in.

Another option to consider is to drive from Eugene to Florence, stay in Florence Saturday night and play Florence Golf Links on Sunday morning, then drive (90 minutes) down and spend the afternoon at the Practice Center/Shorty's/Punchbowl and/or Preserve.

One more outside option, if you have any private club connections (and they have to be really good ones) is to try to get on Eugene CC on Sunday, then drive down to Bandon afterwards.  That's a longshot, as ECC is notoriously hard to get on, but worth a try.

The 30 day cancellation policy was changed to 7 days for Covid, but they are currently ending that on Dec 31.  Keep checking their Covid page for updates, in case that gets extended.  Otherwise, calling 30-45 days out to check on cancellations/openings is the right approach.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

@spud3 thanks for all of the advice, I appreciate it. We are looking at scooting out to Florence and playing the links over there before heading down. We’re getting into Eugene around noon so we’re considering heading straight there from the airport and playing Saturday afternoon and then heading down to Bandon. 

• 1 month later...

Final Itinerary:

2/7 - Preserve 9am, BD 11:30am

2/8 - Trails 8am, PD 1:10pm

2/9 - OM 8:20am, Trails 1:20pm

2/10 - PD 7:50am, BD 1:10pm

2/11 - Sheep Ranch 10:50am

We’ll probably end up trimming a round or two of the replays depending on weather/exhaustion levels haha. First time to Bandon though, so who knows, maybe we’ll just power through 

all 157 holes and worry about the exhaustion later.

I know it’s entirely too early to be looking at the weather, but we’re really hoping for a little shift from the current forecast. Accuweather has well over 2 inches of rain falling while we’re on property and thunderstorms 3 of the days. But hey it’s Bandon, so that’s all part of the experience right?? 20 days...

6 hours ago, rouges1922 said:

Final Itinerary:

We’ll probably end up trimming a round or two of the replays depending on weather/exhaustion levels haha. First time to Bandon though, so who knows, maybe we’ll just power through 

I know it’s entirely too early to be looking at the weather, but we’re really hoping for a little shift from the current forecast. Accuweather has well over 2 inches of rain falling while we’re on property and thunderstorms 3 of the days. But hey it’s Bandon, so that’s all part of the experience right?? 20 days...

I would put zero stock in a weather forecast that is 20 days out. Hope you get some nice weather!!!

Edited by krtgolfing
  • Like 3

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

9 hours ago, rouges1922 said:

Final Itinerary:

Power through.  You did really good here.  Come back with your rankings!

@JNewsted definitely going to try to power through. Done enough browsing on the forums here to figure out what I felt was a good schedule for us, tried to mix up morning and afternoon tee times as best as possible. @Lefty_89 I felt that the Preserve would be a good introduction and couldn’t think of a better way to start the big courses than with the original. Will definitely be posting course write ups, rankings, and photos.

• Like 2

Ambitious schedule, for sure.

Depending on your fitness level, I'd be eyeing that afternoon on 2/9 as a possible place to recharge.  OM followed by Trails is a hefty walk even without having played 36 the day prior.

Edited by spud3
  • Like 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

• 3 months later...

File this under the “way too early but it’s never too early to look ahead to Bandon category”...

After having to cancel our first trip to Bandon within 10 days of our departure date this past February because of a medical emergency with a family member, myself and two buddies have reschedule and expanded our inaugural visit to Bandon for February 2022.

Our itinerary is as follows:

2/12 - Range/Shorty’s/Punchbowl

2/13 - AM - Preserve, PM - Bandon

2/14 - AM - Trails, PM - Sheep Ranch

2/15 - AM - Pacific Dunes

2/16 - AM - Old Mac, PM - Trails

2/17 - AM - Pacific, Bandon

2/18 - AM Old Mac

It’s an ambitious itinerary but we’re all 35 or younger and in good shape. Just 18 on Wednesday will let us rest up a little as well. Hoping to be able to split OM&Trails up on 2/16 as I’ve heard those are two hardest walks, but we’ll see. 

Staying in Lily Pond rooms.

9 months cannot pass fast enough...