2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Best Sand Wedge of the 1980’s

So for one reason or another my collecting habits have taken a turn towards the 1980’s lately.  I’ve picked up sets of Palmer Standards, Deacons, Spalding Tour Editions, Hogan Medallions (1982 model) and some Grinds (yes, early 90’s, not 80’s)

Looking at my collection of wedges I realize I don’t have single 1980’s sand wedge right now.  

Other than the obvious Ping Eye 2, what other sand wedges were the ones to have in the 1980’s?

55 minutes ago, deejaid said:

So for one reason or another my collecting habits have taken a turn towards the 1980’s lately.  I’ve picked up sets of Palmer Standards, Deacons, Spalding Tour Editions, Hogan Medallions (1982 model) and some Grinds (yes, early 90’s, not 80’s)

Looking at my collection of wedges I realize I don’t have single 1980’s sand wedge right now.  

Other than the obvious Ping Eye 2, what other sand wedges were the ones to have in the 1980’s?

Deejaid,

At the risk of Ram jacking this thread before it even gets going, I played Ram Tom Watson Scoring System wedges from the '80's onwards, still had a 50* PW in my bag until the start of this year. Great as wedges, including Troon Grind variations, maybe not so good as sand irons which is why I swapped to Wilson R90 and then R20 - these were probably still made in the '80's but the design is clearly older. 

• Like 2

I've played the Cleveland wedges since the 588 came out in 1988.  That wedge really created the specialty sand wedge market.  Prior to that, they had the 485 which was a good wedge... although I never played one regularly.  I think the Cobra Phil Rodgers trusty rusty wedges were from that era.  Early in the 80's I played a custom wedge made by a guy in Pennsylvania.  They were all knock offs of the Wilson Dynapower designs from the 60's and 70's.

• Like 1

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

Ping Eye2 was very popular with some, love it or hate it. 

588’s

I loved my Spaulding Johnny Miller 56 Finesse wedge. Spaulding and JM made a whole line of really nice wedges with different lofts and grinds. 

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

1 hour ago, dlygrisse said:

Ping Eye2 was very popular with some, love it or hate it. 

588’s

I loved my Spaulding Johnny Miller 56 Finesse wedge. Spaulding and JM made a whole line of really nice wedges with different lofts and grinds. 

I’m thinking a Spalding Johnny Miller might be in order.   I’ve gotten my newly acquired Spalding Tour Edition’s to the range a couple times now and they are some special irons.   Man are they good...

I'm with @Foozle, fan of the Ram Watson wedges.  I still sometimes use a TW855 that I've owned for almost 20 years.  Still does the job.

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

3 hours ago, deejaid said:

Wasn’t there a highly sought after Ram sand wedge, made of nickel if I recall?

I have a couple of Ram Troon Grind nickel wedges; a 56* 1982 TW Commemorative and a 58* Ram Staff.

I don't think these are the highly sought after versions.

To be honest, I notice no difference between steel and nickel? 

20201122_072844.jpg

20201122_073015.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I'm with @Foozle, fan of the Ram Watson wedges.  I still sometimes use a TW855 that I've owned for almost 20 years.  Still does the job.

I basically wore out my TW855 which is why I changed and found that for bunker play I prefer the rounded or radius sole of the R20. This year I moved to a Hogan set up and following comments here got myself a 5613 Sure Out, the radius sole on that works well for me in sand.

Still love the Ram's and they remain my '80's recommendation. 

I have TW855, 860 & 864 as well as 53,56 & 58 in Troon Grind.

The TW864 is just too lofted so not a club I have gamed.

IMGP0191.JPG.jpg

IMGP0193.JPG.jpg

IMGP0195.JPG.jpg

IMGP0196.JPG.jpg

• Like 2

Have and or played several of the wedges mentioned prior.  Would add some of my favorites.  

Hogan SI wedges from the period.  The Special ('72 - '83) with Sand Iron stamped on the sole.  The Special - SI ('84 - '90) stamped on back.  BeCu Special-SI ('88 - '90).  The Cu looks distinctive in the bag.  But of the three, think I prefer the SI sole stamped version the best.  So well balanced, quite playable from all lies.  Of the belief that when one plays Hogan irons, should be accompanied with a Hogan SW.  

Wilson Staff Tour Blade JP II sand wedge ('81 - '90).  IIRC, they were very popular on tour at the time.  A excellent wedge to utilize.  And for the same reason as above, if you play Wilson irons should have a Wilson SW.  Seems as though I crossed paths with a JP I also, but not sure if I'm remembering correctly.

And a FWIW.  Once picked up locally a + no + Eye 2 SW (although didn't realize it at the time) a few years back.  Never having experienced the E2 SW thing.  Couldn't hit that thing to save my life.  Looking down at all that offset.  Didn't feel "buttery" compared to the Hogans.  Nothing but chunks.  It's long gone.  

Edited by Fellaheen51
  • Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

8 hours ago, deejaid said:

Wasn’t there a highly sought after Ram sand wedge, made of nickel if I recall?

There are at least a couple Watson Commemorative wedges, based on his 82 US Open win.  I have two models, one is the Troon Grind 56* that Foozle has pictured, the second is a 58* with a medium width sole with a bit of camber to it, and a little plastic emblem in the back, near the top part of the toe (some just have a PB17 stamp).  I'll see if I can dig it up and snap a pic.

Ram also had Spin Groove model wedges, which are probably just square groove models.  I had a 58* that had 14* bounce, loved that thing.  I seem to have lost it, it vanished last year.  

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Mark me down as another fan of the RAM Tom Watson Scoring System wedges.  I have an 850 and 855 in stainless and an 53 and 58 in BeCu.

Edited by scomac2002
  • Like 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Ram dominated our club low hcp section. BeCu and Cobalt 53, 55 and 58s were the most popular. Hogan also made some great wedges. Copper 55 and 56 hugely popular. Add in Staff JPs and Ping Eye plus Eye 2s. The most popular Cleveland wedges were the 485 and 691. We also had some excellent UK made wedges. John Letters, Dunlop and Slazenger all made excellent sand irons. 

Some of those Ram Watson wedges look pretty nice.   I’ve been searching a bit on eBay and there is quite a few nice examples.

I think the biggest thing for me is the leading edge shape.   Those super rounded leading edges that were popular on a lot of sand wedges in the 1970’s are great from the sand but not as versatile from the rough or tight lies.

One of the biggest attractions for me to playing a vintage set up is the simplicity of my wedge choices.  A 50* pitching wedge and a single 54-56* sand wedge that can be manipulated easily for different shots around the green is all I really need or want.   My modern set with a 135 yard Pitching Wedge which necessitates a Gap wedge, and a sand wedge, and maybe even a lob wedge just takes away from my simple enjoyment of the game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, deejaid said:

Some of those Ram Watson wedges look pretty nice.   I’ve been searching a bit on eBay and there is quite a few nice examples.

I think the biggest thing for me is the leading edge shape.   Those super rounded leading edges that were popular on a lot of sand wedges in the 1970’s are great from the sand but not as versatile from the rough or tight lies.

One of the biggest attractions for me to playing a vintage set up is the simplicity of my wedge choices.  A 50* pitching wedge and a single 54-56* sand wedge that can be manipulated easily for different shots around the green is all I really need or want.   My modern set with a 135 yard Pitching Wedge which necessitates a Gap wedge, and a sand wedge, and maybe even a lob wedge just takes away from my simple enjoyment of the game.

The TW855 wedge tends to be pretty flat on the leading edge.  There's a hint of rounding, but not much.

Here's a random eBay listing that might show it

https://www.ebay.com/c/1955622516

I was happy to see the Hogan BeCu series already listed by a couple members ahead of me. Until this year I had always been pretty steady with various combinations of Vokey wedges over the years. This year I got more into traditional equipment and it just didn't feel right having Vokey wedges next to my MacGregor persimmons and Hogan Apex II's, so on a whim I picked up a Hogan BeCu Special SI and threw it in the bag. First round out with it in the bag and a few friendly wagers later, it had paid for itself roughly 10x over. Hasn't left the bag since, I love that club. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, deejaid said:

Oddly, I find those rounded leading edges preferrable for most shots.  I'm not big on taking a divot, but the curved leading edge actually helps in that regard.  The rounded leading edge is something I look for in a modern wedge.  I find the excessive bounce and blunt leading edges of a lot of game improvement wedges to actually be a hinderance rather than a help for my game.

• Like 3

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I preferred the Cleveland 485 series wedges, especially the 60 degree LW.  I gamed both the Sand Wedge and LW.

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

On 11/22/2020 at 2:38 AM, Foozle said:

I have a couple of Ram Troon Grind nickel wedges; a 56* 1982 TW Commemorative and a 58* Ram Staff.

I don't think these are the highly sought after versions.

To be honest, I notice no difference between steel and nickel? 

20201122_072844.jpg

20201122_073015.jpg

I also have one of each and they dont play any different

I, too, love the hogan BeCu 56*. Bought my 1st one in the late 80s to go with my redlines. Have worn our out 4 sets of redlines and around the same # of the sand wedges. Always looking for brand new ones. Buy them when I can find them.

Occasionally I see what appears to be a new BeCu, but the find it has been fitted with a non apex shaft,,,pure heresy!

seems as though someone, or many someone’s, found new BeCu heads from the demise of hogan years ago and fitted them with all kinds of shafts that are so inappropriate.

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen several great comments with photos.  My thoughts could be summarized as follows:

1.   Cleveland 588 Model 

2.  Wilson Staff JP Models

3.  Ben Hogan Models (Special, Sure On, Sure Out,  Apex, Etc)

Edited by Seve0992
misspelled

Whats in the Bag:
Srixon Zx7 MKII 10.5* set to 11.5* with 44" Dynamic Gold X100
Srixon Zx7 MKII 15* Fairway set to 16* with Hazrdous Stiff Graphite

Srixon Zx7 MKII 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour Prototype 85 Stiff Graphite
Srixon Zx7 4-PW with KBS $ Taper 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX6 50-54-58* Mid Grind Wedges with Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Spinner Shafts

Cleveland Frontline Elite CERO Putter
Intelligent Design TRUST Milled Putter 

My vote is for the original Ping Eye 2. Not the dot, not the plus, but the original. A modern re-make can also be had with conforming grooves. It is called the XG. I have both the original (with the square grooves) and the XG, and I don't notice much difference. The XG is very much a faithful re-creation of the original.

There are certainly better looking wedges. Wedges that would give better golf bag joining a set of gleaming chromed blades. But if you want performance from an ingenious sole design combined with the original incarnation of the "high-toe", then look no further than the Ping Eye 2.  I don't think there has ever been a wedge that is better out of the sand especially.

Ping rejuvenates its famed Eye2 wedge with the Glide ES – GolfWRX

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

My vote is for the original Ping Eye 2. Not the dot, not the plus, but the original. A modern re-make can also be had with conforming grooves. It is called the XG. I have both the original (with the square grooves) and the XG, and I don't notice much difference. The XG is very much a faithful re-creation of the original.

There are certainly better looking wedges. Wedges that would give better golf bag joining a set of gleaming chromed blades. But if you want performance from an ingenious sole design combined with the original incarnation of the "high-toe", then look no further than the Ping Eye 2.  I don't think there has ever been a wedge that is better out of the sand especially.

Ping rejuvenates its famed Eye2 wedge with the Glide ES – GolfWRX

I would've put the eye 2 in this thread when it started a month ago had the OP not inferred he didn't want to include it. But since the ice is now broken, I agree with you 100%. I remember he first time I tried a bunker shot with the SW. My exact words were, "Oh daddy". After nearly 40 years many have tried to make a better wedge but so far, they havent.

Edited by nitram
  • Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

On 11/21/2020 at 11:38 AM, deejaid said:

Cleveland BeCu 485 and 588 depending on your preferred shape and leading edge.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip